Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

40 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

NSFW: language

That's exactly what i was trying to say.  He doesn't have too many good press conference, if ever.  The most of today's press conference was a reversal of alot of things he has mentioned and actually relying on the science vs his own corrupt mind. 

50 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

That's exactly what i was trying to say.  He doesn't have too many good press conference, if ever.  The most of today's press conference was a reversal of alot of things he has mentioned and actually relying on the science vs his own corrupt mind. 

Shifting strategy.  From trying to cover it up, to trying to claim it's somebody else's fault.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, visionary said:
generators vs. ventilators tweet

Did he mix them up or did they send NYC a bunch of generators that they didn't need so they stuck them in a warehouse?

And then claim that as evidence that NYC wasn't properly using the stuff that they were sent?

I used today to go through peer reviewed literature coming out about the virus. By far the most interesting and what looks like least reported theory/finding is in this Nature Med article:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

tl;dr: it’s entirely possible that this virus has been present in the human population for years and years and years. There’s a variation it acquired that makes it highly infectious to humans that so far hasn’t been identified in any animal reservoir of coronaviruses. Just a theory at this point, but one that has some data evidence behind it and warrants more investigation.

There’s a lot we don’t understand about the biology of this virus. Where it came from and why there are so many asymptomatic cases. I wouldn’t be surprised if we find out through serological testing that the spread is actually MUCH more than we suspected. Possibly millions of cases already in the US, with a small but sizeable fraction that require medical care. 

Edited by No Excuses

12 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I used today to go through peer reviewed literature coming out about the virus. By far the most interesting and what looks like least reported theory/finding is in this Nature Med article:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

tl;dr: it’s entirely possible that this virus has been present in the human population for years and years and years. There’s a variation it acquired that makes it highly infectious to humans that so far hasn’t been identified in any animal reservoir of coronaviruses. Just a theory at this point, but one that has some data evidence behind it and warrants more investigation.

There’s a lot we don’t understand about the biology of this virus. Where it came from and why there are so many asymptomatic cases. I wouldn’t be surprised if we find out through serological testing that the spread is actually MUCH more than we suspected. Possibly millions of cases already in the US, with a small but sizeable fraction that require medical care. 

So for dummies like me, is that good or bad?  Sounded good to me, but I might just be misunderstanding the ramifications.

17 minutes ago, bearrock said:

So for dummies like me, is that good or bad?  Sounded good to me, but I might just be misunderstanding the ramifications.

Neither good or bad. Maybe good if it was widespread enough that some portion of the population has some level of immunity to it. It might, MIGHT, explain the high rate of asymptomatic cases, but I don’t think this is the link that explains it because there doesn’t appear to be any sort of herd immunity to this virus so it wasn’t widespread.

The major ramification is really that a virus could have gone untraced in the human population and allowed to evolve for years with no one knowing. More likely if this were the case, it wasn’t highly widespread but probably infectious enough to not fizzle out over time. We don’t test for coronaviruses when people are ill with respiratory illnesses because the coronaviruses that normally infect humans only cause very mild cold symptoms. So if no one is looking, a coronavirus that causes incredibly mild to no symptoms can just hide in plain sight. But natural selection is still working and if it acquires a new variation that allows it to jump more efficiently from human to human... then we’re off to the races. 

Edited by No Excuses
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1