Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Worthwhile website, not sure if it has been posted before.... Basically forecasts the peak curve for the US in 15 days.

http://covid19.healthdata.org

It says 80K dead by august most likely given the measures we have in place don’t change.

Based on current in its the numbers are running lower than the estimate thus far, thankfully. (2229 deaths through yesterday vs 2522 estimate) It was updated a few days ago i think.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

2 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Newsom and Breed did an excellent job in CA. It’s too bad NYC has a dunce for mayor. Cuomo had to do two peoples work.

The same Cuomo who just released dozens of parolees, 4 of which are sex offenders and put them in hotels near schools/highly populated areas under his bull**** bail reform act? That same Cuomo? 

This is just a few miles away from me. I have two children. 

I have nothing positive to say about that guy.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

The same Cuomo who just released dozens of parolees, 4 of which are sex offenders and put them in hotels near schools/highly populated areas? That same Cuomo? 

The virus is spreading in NY prisons at a much higher rate than the general population. Reducing its spread in the prison pop is part of any sensible national mitigation strategy. I know it’s a foreign concept to some in this country, but even prisoners deserve something resembling humane treatment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

The virus is spreading in NY prisons at a much higher rate than the general population. Reducing its spread in the prison pop is part of any sensible national mitigation strategy. I know it’s a foreign concept to some in this country, but even prisoners deserve something resembling humane treatment.

Awesome. Let's push them out into communities. And lets put sex offenders out in the open! Thumbs up. Brilliant.

I hope you don't have kids and never have to worry about an idiot governor doing this non sense. I know that's a foreign concept to some in this country. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Awesome. Let's push them out into communities. And lets put sex offenders out in the open! Thumbs up. Brilliant.

I hope you don't have kids and never have to worry about an idiot governor doing this non sense. I know that's a foreign concept to some in this country. 

He’s releasing people in jail who are there for low-level technical parole violations. There are going to be a ton of people who have served terms previously for some bad stuff on that list. None of them are back in jail because they committed the same crime again. Not a single sex offender who was serving a term for their convicted sexual offense crimes was released. 

There are few good choices in the middle of pandemics. This is one of those not great choices you have to make to ensure that prisons don’t become death camps. I’m glad people like you aren’t in charge so we don’t get completely meat headed responses that only make a bad situation worse.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 4

No question that the decision to release non-violent parolees was the correct one for the state of NY.  Imagine being locked in Rikers GP because you failed to report a change of address...terrifying and wholly unnecessary.

Good luck to everybody’s kids, btw.  We’re all somebody’s kid, after all.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

He’s releasing people in jail who are there for low-level technical parole violations. There are going to be a ton of people who have served terms previously for some bad stuff on that list. None of them are back in jail because they committed the same crime again. Not a single sex offender who was serving a term for their convicted sexual offense crimes was released. 

There are few good choices in the middle of pandemics. This is one of those not great choices you have to make to ensure that prisons don’t become death camps. I’m glad people like you aren’t in charge so we don’t get completely meat headed responses that only make a bad situation worse.

Hey, nice personal attack. Typical from someone who only goes down political lines to form his opinions and doesn’t think for themselves and has to resort to attacks because one persons views don’t match theirs. No thinking for anyone. No excuses. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Hey, nice personal attack.

48 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I hope you don't have kids

Ok guy. Just try thinking with the rational side of your brain, won't hurt.

Don't care about political lines either. You won't find me defending Bill de Blasio. And I am fond of the Republican governor of my state and how he's handled things. It is in fact possible to not be a meat head about this whole thing and consider that you were misinformed about what the governor of your state actually did and why.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

Cuomo has been impressive on TV throughout this, but KDawgs complaint isnt the only one against him.  There are NY folks in the medical field saying many of the policies he’s put in place and adopted over the last five years put NY behind on this before it even started.  Something like a reduction of 20k beds in the last five years.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

Ok guy. Just try thinking with the rational side of your brain, won't hurt.

Don't care about political lines either. You won't find me defending Bill de Blasio. And I am fond of the Republican governor of my state and how he's handled things.

how about reading the context. “I hope you don’t have kids and don’t have to deal with something like this”. Try not to think everything is an attack maybe. I know political threads do that to people. But my post was not an attack.

I do apologize if it was taken as one. It wasn’t. 

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Cuomo has been impressive on TV throughout this, but KDawgs complaint isnt the only one against him.  There are NY folks in the medical field saying many of the policies he’s put in place and adopted over the last five years put NY behind on this before it even started.  Something like a reduction of $20k beds in the last five years.

Agree. He’s been very impressive on TV. He has destroyed education in this state. He’s made several poor moves up until this point. The virus has been his shining star as Governor all in all. But I’ve still got nothing nice to say about the guy other than how he’s handled this for the most part. 

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Cuomo has been impressive on TV throughout this, but KDawgs complaint isnt the only one against him.  There are NY folks in the medical field saying many of the policies he’s put in place and adopted over the last five years put NY behind on this before it even started.  Something like a reduction of 20k beds in the last five years.

The reduction in beds happened over 20 years, and not all of it is attributable to Cuomo.

The cutbacks helping fuel New York’s hospital deficit came in waves.

In 2006, Gov. George Pataki’s Berger Commission recommended cutting 4,200 hospital beds to trim $1.5 billion from New York’s health care system. Those cuts were partially implemented.

Four years later, Gov. David Paterson closed down the historic St. Vincent’s Hospital — which served for years as the Big Apple’s primary HIV/AIDS facility but was bleeding red ink — after efforts to rescue the 758-bed facility failed in 2010.

Then, in 2013, Cuomo’s State University of New York nixed another 500 beds in the Big Apple when it voted to close the money-losing Long Island College Hospital in Brooklyn in 2013, which was subsequently redeveloped into housing.

State government budgets operate very differently than the federal government and programs or entities that are bleeding red can't just be saved by deficit spending your way out. It's also important to note that ICU capacity was not cut down in this time, which is really the important metric right now.

On 2/28/2020 at 12:49 PM, Bang said:

So, on the heels of trump saying not everyone may be able to afford the vaccine..  any bets on whether or not he manages to 

A/ give it to the rich (which we should mark as a given)

B/ give his own supporters discounts, or worse

C/ flat out refuse it to non-supporters

I give it about a 30% chance

I know i know,i always think of the worst.

When people stop doing the worst, i'll stop worrying about it.

~Bang

I know its bad form to quote myself, but i'll let you in on a little secret.

What I do whenever anything happens in which the fascist Trump organization has to act in any way at all, i imagine the worst thing that they could do, and it always turns out to not only be the most reasonable expectation, but the actual action itself.

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2020/03/28/is-trump-using-critical-medical-supplies-to-blackmail-blue-state-governors/
Is Trump Using Critical Medical Supplies to Blackmail Blue State Governors?

Does Trump care about the coronavirus killing Blue America?

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/trump-coronavirus-new-york-cuomo-california-ventilators.html

Trump's Coronavirus Aid to states Seems Tied To Their Voting Record

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a31955549/trump-coronavirus-aid-states-shakedown/

And on and on and on.

Even now these media outlets refuse to call this what it is. It  isn't politics, it isn't "punishing political enemies" it's flat out trying to kill people by purposeful inaction.
It's potentially lethal to MANY MANY Americans, and you better believe if he can help it, the casualties in his political enemies states will be the highest he can make it.
 MAKE it, as in actively cause it by playing games with supplies and aid.

I know i know. I always expect the worst. i sound so stupid.

and then he does it. 

There is no sugarcoating it.

You can't support this without being an actual enemy of the American people. Plain and simple. There is no excuse of patriotism you can make to justify supporting this. There is no assuaging it by telling yourself it's just differing political opinions. 

So based on what you have seen, try to reasonably predict pathways to the various potential outcomes for this continued Trump administration.  Just up to November.

How does "election happens as normal, Trump is voted down and the peaceful transition of power happens in January like always" sound right about now?

****ing ridiculous, doesn't it?

It sounds like a ****ing fairy tale. And everyone live happily ever ****ing after.

No hyperbole at all. 

Best. Be. READY. 

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

What I fail to grasp here is why the circus can come to town in 1930, and unpack and set up a huge tent large enough to host hundreds of people.  Yet the United States cannot set up a huge tent in the parking lot a major sports stadium capable of hosting hundreds of patients.  I guess you would need partitions, portable heaters, beds, and generators.  There's companies that can come to a bare building space and set up a temporary office in a couple days. Partitions shouldn't be a problem. Bed frames can be made with 2x4s.  Mattresses and box springs can be purchased at any number of outlets.

I assume this hasn't been done because it's not needed yet.  I sure hope that something is being done about the shortage of ventilators.  How about China?  Can we waive a couple billion dollars in their face to buy 20k of these?  Assuming China has them of course.  Bring them here, sterilize them and reuse and our supply is sufficient.  What about Germany?  They probably have a couple thousand laying around.  While we're at it, why not outsource some health care workers from other countries that haven't been hit as hard.  India, Germany?  Individuals with Nursing experience can come here, serve for 6 months, paid $50k and given automatic citizenship after their service is up.  Or they can stay another 6 months and earn more, then return to their home country if desired.