Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

6 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Love Smerconish.  He also had a radio show, 9a, to 12pm on SiriuxXM radio.

Really?  

I saw that word in Jumbo's post, and figured "Damn, guy's throwing in Yiddish, to try to obfuscate his posts more."   

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

Really?  

I saw that word in Jumbo's post, and figured "Damn, guy's throwing in Yiddish, to try to obfuscate his posts more."   

Michael Smerconish.  He worked in the Reagan or Bush administration.  He's a true moderate, former Republican. You see him on CNN's political coverage.

If you have Sirius XM, check out Channel 124- Potus Channel. 

2 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

ES post: Video of top German virologist saying that mass testing has been the reason behind Germany’s ability to contain the virus.

Next ES post: I don’t see how testing is gonna make any difference.

Well, if it doesn't make a difference ; it's because we didn't start early.  The virus has probably spread everywhere and we don't know everyone who has it or had it.  Who knows how many people it spread to it. We may never know that number.

4 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Well, if it doesn't make a difference ; it's because we didn't start early.  The virus has probably spread everywhere and we don't know everyone who has it or had it.  Who knows how many people it spread to it. We may never know that number.

It does make a difference in the areas that haven’t been hit with their coming surge yet. It’s critical. It’s also critical to identify asymptomatic carriers and recovered people to provide better treatment options/ideas.

This “testing won’t accomplish anything now” is being floated by the right as an attempt to cover up their failure to provide testing and adequate equipment. It is a shame to see that idea start to take hold here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

ES post: Video of top German virologist saying that mass testing has been the reason behind Germany’s ability to contain the virus.

Next ES post: I don’t see how testing is gonna make any difference.

Dang, I missed that one.  Could you quote the moron who said that?  

Edited by Larry
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

It does make a difference in the areas that haven’t been hit with their coming surge yet. It’s critical. It’s also critical to identify asymptomatic carriers and recovered people to provide better treatment options/ideas.

This “testing won’t accomplish anything now” is being floated by the right as an attempt to cover up their failure to provide testing and adequate equipment. It is a shame to see that idea start to take hold here.

I can certainly see how knowing who's got it might be really useful if, 

1)  The number who've got it is relatively small.  

2)  And you have the ability to quarantine just those people who've got it.  

3)  (And prevent the virus from entering your area through other means - if you have a "secure border")  

Do you think we have those things, now?  

- - - - 

Note:  That's just the "brute force" use of the information.  Yes, it ignores all of the other advantages that knowledge has over ignorance.  Like maybe the ability to make better, more informed, decisions about all kinds of things.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Sisko said:

All he’d need to win is the (R) after his name and plausible deniability about any of the stuff Tя☭mp has done to botch the response. Between voter suppression and the Muricun dumbening, he’d definitely have a great shot because all the morons that voted for him last time would see him as Tя☭mp without the stupid stuff.

This is underselling Trump's connection to people with his charisma. Pence has no charisma and he's emasculated himself far too much in the name of sucking up to Trump. Plus, the administrations handling of all this will end up hurting all involved. 

Edited by Hersh

55 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Because this bears repetition.

• Like 4

I doubt anyone is remotely surprised that Trump didn't even talk to Cuomo about it. And yeah, I'm not sure exactly what it is that Trump even means? Putting the military all over the border of the entire state to make sure nobody comes in or out? Ordering all flights in and out suspended? Nuking it?

I doubt Trump even knows. At this point he's just doing what he always does, talking a ****load without actually saying anything. He's just saying words that sound "tough" or "strong" without even knowing what it is he's doing. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 4

So I guess Trump has some things he can do, but technically it isn't him that makes the decision but the CDC. Which nowadays basically means Trump.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/aboutlawsregulationsquarantineisolation.html

Federal Law
The federal government derives its authority for isolation and quarantine from the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

Under section 361 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S. Code § 264), the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services is authorized to take measures to prevent the entry and spread of communicable diseases from foreign countries into the United States and between states.

The authority for carrying out these functions on a daily basis has been delegated to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

CDC’s Role
Under 42 Code of Federal Regulations parts 70 and 71, CDC is authorized to detain, medically examine, and release persons arriving into the United States and traveling between states who are suspected of carrying these communicable diseases.

But how the hell are they going to pull that off in a short time? And who exactly is deployed to do it? Who's going to monitory ALL roads and ways in and out of ****ing New York State? CDC personnel? He gutted it. National Guard? That's Cuomo's responsibility unless Trump decides to take it over. Military maybe? And considering how insanely botched everything else up until now has been, does anyone really think these drooling numbnuts could get anything of that scale done in any short period of time?

Edited by mistertim

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Just to clarify my position:  I strongly believe that testing needs to continue to expand, and I think the horribly slow development and distribution of tests in the US has made the situation here much worse.  I was just making a mathematical point about how mass testing/screening of populations that have a low prevalence of cases will result in changing the data for death rates among people who test positive.  On the flip side, if you only tested people who are hospitalized with severe symptoms consistent with Covid-19, the death rate for people with confirmed cases would skyrocket.  I despise Trump, but I think there is a place for discussion of diminishing value in testing people who have no symptoms and no reason to think they have been exposed to it.  That doesn't mean there is no value in it, and the point would be valid even if Trump never existed, or the right was demanding everyone be tested.