Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

So, I ask; Do you anyone who either has been exposed or has the virus?

My cousin and her husband live in Brooklyn with their two year old. Her husband’s brother is an ER nurse in NYC and has been on social media begging for PPE. 

He developed a fever yesterday. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, FrFan said:

March 1st to March 26th versions

Clinical and microbiological effect of a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin in 80 COVID-19 patients with at least a six-day follow up: an observational study

80 rather young patients (median age 52 years) were treated in Marseille for 6 to 10 days, between March 3 and March 21, 2020;

all patients were treated with hydroxychloroquine (3 x 200 mg daily) + the antibiotic azithromycin;

58% had comorbidity (hypertension, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, etc.) identified as a risk factor for Covid-19;

no significant treatment-related adverse events were noted (a single interruption).

At the end of the study:

65 of the 80 patients (81%) developed favorably and were discharged from hospital very quickly, on average after 4.6 days;

13 of 80 patients (16%) were still in intensive care at 10 days or more;

1 patient (86 years old) died in infectious disease without going through intensive care;

93% of patients had an undetectable viral load after 8 days.

The decrease in viral load results from several indistinguishable factors, including natural healing of patients, the inherent effect of chloroquine and azithromycin, or a combination of the two.

spoke to my allergist, who reviewed the study. He agrees with the combo’s potential to limit the virus’ ability to penetrate host cells and block the virus’ reproductive ability.

Edited by ClaytoAli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Funny you mention it...I envision something out of a circus...a high-wire act, a couple of elephants doing tricks, and a guy on a unicycle juggling bowling pins...all at once so you can't keep your eyes on any one thing. 

Especially the eyelids. 

I was thinking more along the lines of: “How can I make money off this...hmmm, is a Big Mac tastier than a Whopper?...I really like Fruit Loops...”

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Another one of my Trumpsters FB friends; asked the question, “Do you know anyone Who has the virus?”

He feels it’s being overblown because he doesn’t know anyone who has it.

Actually, despite his misguided opinion; he did have a good question.

For me:  I am friends with one my dad’s patients and he still waiting for his test results. If is positive, then he exposed my dad and my dad will have exposed my mom and niece; if he caught it.  My sister says some if her patients have it, so she’s been exposed. She is staying at her condo, while she’s off; to avoid exposing me, if she got it.

The doctor who was supposed to scope my knee (meniscus tear) on Mar 18 tested positive on the 16th. Have not gotten updates on how he is fairing.

I was supposed to have a pre-op with him the 17th, and was going to go, but tell him that I’d rather wait on the surgery until this pandemic gets under control.

Also, my daughter returned to Ann Arbor, where she is a Sophomore, from Madrid on 3-15. She went there on spring break to visit her boyfriend, who was doing a semester abroad. She has shown no symptoms, and could not get tested because of that, even though she came from a major hot spot. Her boyfriend got out two days later, showed symptoms a day after returning, but was refused testing (Philly area), because his symptoms were not drastic enough. Felt much better after about three days. He is back in AA. His roommate in Madrid tested positive two days after he left.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

The doctor who was supposed to scope my knee (meniscus tear) on Mar 18 tested positive on the 16th. Have not gotten updates on how he is fairing.

I was supposed to have a pre-op with him the 17th, and was going to go, but tell him that I’d rather wait on the surgery until this pandemic gets under control.

Better be safe than sorry 👍🤟

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

It hit home yesterday for us.

My wife's good friend who is an ex-coworker of hers told all of them in a group chat that he has tested positive for COVID as did his live in girlfriend.

Both of them work in Georgetown at the same place and they were open until last week at some point.

She developed bad symptoms such as fever, cough, and fatigue and went to see a doctor where she was tested.  He was with her and they wouldn't test him because he wasn't showing any symptoms.  4 days later he started to get the same symptoms as her so he went and got tested.  

Well as mentioned, yesterday he sent the group of friends a message that they both have it.  They are both already on the upswing now and she's pretty much back to normal since she had it earlier.  Neither of them required hospitalization or anything like that.  They are both in their mid/late 30s.

I had the option to go back to work on Monday but my wife wanted me to wait another week because of this.  We're doing team A and B at work where one team is on one week and off the next, so either way I'd have a week on/off.  Oh and someone in my workplace tested positive as well this past week, but he hadn't been in the office since like March 12th or so.

Edited by purbeast

Two positives found at the Charlotte Hall Veterans Home in St. Mary's County, MD :( Both patients are in stable condition.

A lot of history at this location and a place of local area pride. It is thought to be on or at the site of the first hospital built in America in the 1690's. It was a military boarding school for boys up to the 1970's.

7 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Weed article 

My wife is a severe hypochondriac and also convinced that her extremely mild asthma is going to cause her to die if we get covid. We’re writing wills and stuff. 

Back to the weed article... she’s been talking about going on anti-anxiety meds to help keep her sane. I’m lobbying for baked goods instead :) 

And just for reference she’s never done drugs and been inebriated fewer than 10 times in her life. It’s an uphill battle but I think it will do her a lot of good. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hersh said:

Pence would lose in a record landslide. He has zero personality. 

All he’d need to win is the (R) after his name and plausible deniability about any of the stuff Tя☭mp has done to botch the response. Between voter suppression and the Muricun dumbening, he’d definitely have a great shot because all the morons that voted for him last time would see him as Tя☭mp without the stupid stuff.

19 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Completely weird article, since you are advised to wash your hands before putting on contacts to limit debris getting into you eyes.

Glasses on the other hand, you routinely touch to move around you face without cleaning your hands.

Edited by ClaytoAli

With the U.S. now having more cases than any other country, when do we start calling it thr "American virus?"

When I coupme that with culpability in its spread here through late testing, an inability to treat due to political blackmail for ventilators and insurance issues.

I am actually a bit embarrassed that we let our political vehemence spread a deadly disease rather than treat it.

• Like 6

Sorry, I tried to paste chart from worldometer on daily deaths, but I can't from phone. It is the predictable exponential growth. My next question is when do we take the steps countries like Israel are taking to get on top of this? I predict we go above 5k before we try to bend the curve as a country and closer to 10k before we agree on what to do and start implementation of measures.

For reference, in Israel, our friend can't go more than 300ft from their house unless they are the one person in the house gping out for food.  I bet their numbers of new cases drop precipitously in next 2 weeks. Why can't we? 

Political will is my answer, and frankly I dont know whether to be more emarassed, disgusted, or angry with those who wont take this seriously. Their ignorant actions mean the rest of us have to isolate ourselves longer.

Edited by gbear

i just started watching the recording, but this morning's smerconish  was featuring "positivity" a the fist story i saw was cool enough to psot, so i found an article on it---it can be helpful to remember how decent, creative, and resilient many humans can be at times

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/sports/baseball/coronavirus-masks-gowns-mlb-uniforms.html

more at link

Had the baseball season not been postponed because of the coronavirus, players across the country would have been decked out in crisp new uniforms for opening day on Thursday. Now, some uniforms will be put to better use.

Fanatics, the company that manufactures the Nike uniforms for Major League Baseball, has temporarily converted its domestic factory in Easton, Pa., to produce desperately needed protective masks and gowns for medical professionals who are fighting the pandemic in the United States.

The masks are made from the same bolts of polyester mesh fabric used to make big-league uniforms, and the first prototypes bear the distinctive pinstripes of the Yankees and the Philadelphia Phillies.

resilience during  virus.jpg

• Like 3

it's obviously crucial that ways are found to dramatically ramp up mask/gloves production (among other needs too i know) that can be actually implemented....unfortunately one of the greatest unnecessary obstacles to many solutions is the current intelligence/sanity vacuum in the gop

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1