Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

4 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Nope it spreads through social network like Facebook. There's no social distancing on Facebook.

Wait, you're saying it's a computer virus??!?

<signing off>

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

This is one of the things that I will be hanging back and watching. Sad thing is stuff like this will likely just make the economic and human toll worse. What a time to be alive.

Sad thing is that the folks doing things like opening tourist locations are in effect hanging out a sign that says "Come here, spend a little money, expose yourself to a whole bunch of people from other places, then go back where you came from and wait out your incubation period."  

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

They are going to keep asking people to die for them until their entire base is dead. 

I have a problem with folks assuming that this disease will hurt one Party more than another.  

For one thing, I don;t think it's clear that that's the case.  For another, it's rather icky to even be interested in looking at that

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

They are going to keep asking people to die for them until their entire base is dead. 

There are few things more mind boggling then realizing they are killing their base out of fear they won't vote for them.

Some of these protest may slow down just because how many of them get sick and see what that actually looks like in person.

And I'm never a fan of defending someone like Hannity but he deserves credit for saying the armed militia protestors make 2nd and 1st amendment arguments look bad, it's just going too far to point no one is listening because of the way they look.  Even Tucker has shown he has lines, the truth is Fox in general does. 

I'm not sure what it's going to take for them to finally turn on Trump, but its not impossible if their viewer base starts getting decimated from this virus, which feels inevitable at this point. Fox doesn't try to spin news they can't spin, how did they address feds ordering 100k new body bags?

1 hour ago, Larry said:

I have a problem with folks assuming that this disease will hurt one Party more than another.  

For one thing, I don;t think it's clear that that's the case.  For another, it's rather icky to even be interested in looking at that

I don't think it's an assumption or hope for most people. 

The polls show more resistance to social distancing among Republicans, it's fair to say if they are making up most of the protests they are more likely to get infected then folks staying home, which is what solid majority of the other party members supporting still.

The numbers will speak for themselves at some point and my hope will no way to spin it or need to once it inevitably gets there, that's really our last chance to get on the same page here.  I never wanted that because of how ugly that will be once folks finally capitulate, if they ever do.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

I get why you would have a problem with that. And im not myself celebrating it. I find no joy in the fact that people believe these men enough to put their lives in danger. But that is whats happening. The hydroxicloriquine thing and the disinfectant thing are easy examples. But past that you dont see people voting blue no matter who out protesting for their rights back at the moment. Add that to the way Trump won the 65+ (?) vote against Hilldog and how they are disproportionately getting hit by this, its hard not to see those groups of people as his base, and notice that they are being told to do things that are going to harm them. 

Thats all im really commenting on. It would be contrary of facts to say that only his base is getting hurt. Biden is going to win like 95% of the black vote and they are the second group of people disproportionately hit by this sickness. So no, I take no joy in the fact that Republicans are getting their base killed, nor do I think its only their base dying from it. I can get why you think I was doing both, or either. But I was just shaking my head at the fact that Christie his telling people they may have to die for his way of life. Its shocking to me to see him say that, and even more so to see them agree with it. 

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

And I'm never a fan of defending someone like Hannity but he deserves credit for saying the armed militia protestors make 2nd and 1st amendment arguments look bad, it's just going too far to point no one is listening because of the way they look.  Even Tucker has shown he has lines, the truth is Fox in general does. 

I dunno bro. I have never seen him say anything about people showing up to abortion clinics with guns before. But then, I have never looked and I never would. So who knows. Strikes me as politically expedient though. 

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not sure what it's going to take for them to finally turn on Trump, but its not impossible if their viewer base starts getting decimated from this virus, which feels inevitable at this point. Fox doesn't try to spin news they can't spin, how did they address feds ordering 100k new body bags?

We agree here - Once Trump is a lose ratings wise they will go to the next best thing. Same as MSNBC for the most part but just feels way more evil. To me at least. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I dunno bro. I have never seen him say anything about people showing up to abortion clinics with guns before. But then, I have never looked and I never would. So who knows. Strikes me as politically expedient though. 

It is, they have teams dedicated to how to steer the base in direction they want them to go, Hannity coming out against the protestors going too far was as calculated as it gets for them.

I don't watch Fox News enough to see where they are consistent, either, pretty much only reason i only turn it on to see how half the country is getting the spin on something I already know isn't true. 

That's why him calling out the protestors is big deal to me, that's a clear indication that the fire is making its way back to the gasoline, Fox feeling the heat. Can't wait for the lawsuit thread to start.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Larry said:

It's an icky world...

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Sorry, what I see is a repeat of what happened after a week or two of Nazis marching in the streets to celebrate the fact that their side won the election.  

After two weeks of it happening, the polling indicated that the sight of people holding up a Nazi flag in celebration of Trump was making it hard for them to spin the victory as "economic anxiety".  The images were just too persuasive, for the other side.  

At which time, a few Republicans mustered up the courage to suggest that their Party welcomes everybody, but maybe they should leave the Nazi flags at home.  

They're not standing up because there's a moral line they won't cross.  They're saying that they need to change the way they spin their message, because this one isn't getting the results they want.  

That's why it took them two weeks to object.  

And really, what does it say about these people you're attributing morals to, that it didn't occur to them that mobs of people invading state capitol buildings, openly displaying the "assault weapons" that they brought with them for the purpose of making their "protest" include the threat of lethal force, might not resonate with real Americans, until after the polling data told them so?

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I

The polls show more resistance to social distancing among Republicans, it's fair to say if they are making up most of the protests they are more likely to get infected then folks staying home, which is what solid majority of the party members supporting still.

And as to any evidence saying that this is gonna hurt Team R more than Team D?  

1)  It spreads better in urban environments than in rural.  Higher population density.  Which Party to urban areas vote for, as opposed to rural?  

2)  Evidence says it's much more fatal among POC.  Which Party do they tend to vote for?  

The problem with these protests*, and the cause they're advocating, is that they're not just a threat to the people doing them, they're a threat to everybody.  

If I thought that reopening the beaches and other tourist locations would only affect people who went to the beach, then my inner Libertarian would see the reasoning that well, those people are only risking themselves, and it's their right, and liberty and all that.  But they're not just risking themselves.  

* Well, one of the problems.  One problem with the protests is that they exist at all.  Seriously, in a rational America, you shouldn't be able to even find 10 people willing to hold a sign and chant in favor of killing thousands of Americans.  But a major political party has made the decision to make that a part of their party identity.  And they've succeeded in their goal of convincing people that they have to cheer for dead Americans if they want to stay in the club.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I remember us speculating back in February what a second wave might look like in America, in comparison to the Spanish Flu. Attenuating mutations were brought up as a possible factor for why it may not be as intimidating as some speculate. Take a look at this:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-scientific-team-unique-mutation-coronavirus.html

Now, using a pool of 382 nasal swab samples obtained from possible COVID-19 cases in Arizona, Lim's team has identified a SARS-CoV-2 mutation that had never been found before—where 81 of the letters have vanished, permanently deleted from the genome.

The study was published in the online version of the Journal of Virology.

Lim says as soon as he made the manuscript data available on a preprint server medRxiv, it has attracted worldwide interest from the scientific community, including the World Health Organization.

"One of the reasons why this mutation is of interest is because it mirrors a large deletion that arose in the 2003 SARS outbreak," said Lim, an assistant professor at ASU's Biodesign Institute. During the middle and late phases of the SARS epidemic, SARS-CoV accumulated mutations that attenuated the virus. Scientists believe that a weakened virus that causes less severe disease may have a selective advantage if it is able to spread efficiently through populations by people who are infected unknowingly.

Theoretically, this could mean continued spread of the virus, albeit with fewer severe and critical cases, which reflects the pattern we've been seeing in the numbers for a while now. The number of active severe and critical cases is lower today than it was in mid-April despite active cases in general climbing by over 60% since then.

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 1

@Larry

If you want to say this is Charlottesville all over again, id say this is different because folks weren't suing Fox for public endangerment. 

I really do want to give benefit of the doubt that even Hannity gets that Fox has gone too far here and trying to reel it back a little, but it could be as simple as Fox trying to save itself now from losing it's 1st Amendment protections as a news source.

As for people of color, there's not enough data to show the numbers are anything more then more testing is being done in urban areas then rural areas.  POC aren't only one with cardiovascular issues, heart disease still leading cause of death for white people, too, they just more likely to have health insurance.

We don't have the whole story to say how bad this really is yet, just how bad it's been in the places it's already proven spikes have occurred.

Edited by Renegade7

I don't think these protests will lead to spreading among one party more than another, as most of these protesters are sufficiently healthy to fight it off.

They will, however, spread it to those around them.  And that's another reason it will hit everyone.  I remember a video showing where people from a Florida beach went afterwards; they spread across the whole country.  These protests will be like that, but likely localized to a state, but all parts of a state.

Now, the virus being much more deadly to elderly combined with elderly being more likely to be Republicans, now THAT might lead to a lopsided death total.

5 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I don't think these protests will lead to spreading among one party more than another, as most of these protesters are sufficiently healthy to fight it off.

I don't think that's a safe assumption yet, articles showing clusters popping up after these protests. 

You right there's no way around them giving it to other folks, which will start with who they closest with.  We have to wait to see how many protestors end up in the hospital or die, that's probably only way to slow that down since Trump won't.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coronavirus-outbreak-at-medford-nursing-home-kills-54-residents/ar-BB13BnKs?li=BBnb7Kz

The coronavirus has killed 54 residents of a Medford nursing home over the past four weeks and infected another 100, in the latest deadly outbreak at an elderly care facility in the state. The rising death toll at the Courtyard Nursing Care Center, a 224-bed facility located behind Lawrence Memorial Hospital, escaped widespread public notice for weeks.

In response to inquiries from the Globe on Monday, Genesis Healthcare, which operates the Medford facility, confirmed that 54 residents with COVID-19 had died since April 5. An additional 117 residents and 42 employees have tested positive for the virus, according to a statement issued by Dr. Richard Feifer, chief medical officer for Genesis.

Feifer said the Medford home cares for "largely frail, elderly seniors with multiple health conditions who are already more susceptible to the common cold, not to mention a deadly and highly contagious virus like this one.” The average age of the residents who died was over 85 years old. Many of the residents have dementia, he said, “making precautions and restrictions difficult to enforce.”

<more at link>

• Sad 3

A Pennsylvania woman partied after being told she had coronavirus. Then she was thrown in jail.

Pennsylvania should include the threat of jail as part of its plan for reopening its economy and society.

Identifying people who are infected and keeping them away from others until they recover is essential to limit the spread of the coronavirus. That’s why the state’s plan calls for widespread testing and tracing interactions of infected people to warn those they have been around.

The plan also needs to account for sick people who refuse to stay inside.

Some ― hopefully not many ― may need to spend a night in the slammer to get the message, as an Erie County woman did.

She spent Friday night in jail after authorities said she refused to quarantine, and in the process exposed others.

She attended a party, did some banking and had her vehicle repaired in the days after testing positive, an Erie County official said, according to the Erie Times-News.

The woman cried throughout a two-hour hearing Saturday, after her night behind bars. She apologized and said she hadn’t read a letter she signed warning of potential legal action for failing to quarantine.

“I’ve learned from my actions,” she told the judge, according to the Times-News. “I want to go home."

The woman was not publicly identified in court. She was sent home under electronic monitoring. When in jail, she had been isolated from other inmates in a medical cell.

At a time when many people are complaining about their freedoms being destroyed, threatening to lock up quarantine violators will fan those flames of resentment.

You know who probably don’t care? The 27 people the Erie woman may have infected.

Click on the link for the full article

====================

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I remember us speculating back in February what a second wave might look like in America, in comparison to the Spanish Flu. Attenuating mutations were brought up as a possible factor for why it may not be as intimidating as some speculate. Take a look at this:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-scientific-team-unique-mutation-coronavirus.html

Theoretically, this could mean continued spread of the virus, albeit with fewer severe and critical cases, which reflects the pattern we've been seeing in the numbers for a while now. The number of active severe and critical cases is lower today than it was in mid-April despite active cases in general climbing by over 60% since then.

Scientists have identified a new strain of coronavirus that appears to be more contagious

Edited by China

3 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

This ****ing asshole!

Love how he devoted a measly 30 seconds to get a favorable news clip in. "Hey I'm only saying this so I can point to my disapproval of something I took a significant role in creating". In the morning, Fox and Friends was cheering on the "open the economy" goons and running segments encouraging people to pressure officials.

All of these people are aware that "reopening the economy" is not going to do jack ****, and will in fact, make things worse. They are smart enough to know that economy only "reopens" when the virus is contained and vast majority of the public is reassured into resuming normal activities. The only logical conclusion is that they intentionally want to make things worse and they are intentionally riling up their base of angry, gun toting goons because they know they've lost on every other metric of re-election: the economy is in shambles and people are sick, afraid and losing family members/friends to a completely preventable tragedy. They've chosen chaos because their is no fixing the initial bungled response and the downstream poverty, fear and death it has brought upon people.

Expect a lot more divisive rhetoric to further enrage gun toting maniacs because this is all they have left. It's going to get a lot worse until November 3, 2020. Probably even afterwards.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1