Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

1 minute ago, stoshuaj said:

Haven’t glanced through this in a while, pandemic thread sure seems to have turned political........

carry on

You may not have noticed but the politicians political response to pretty much everything has turned all things into politics. Even when science says it shouldn’t be. 

im not sure if you thought this was revelatory or something but this has been the state of this country for years. Probably decades. It’s just out in the open now.

• Thanks 5

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

im not sure if you thought this was revelatory or something

Knowing absolutely nothing about this poster other than this one, single, post, I'd say that his intent was "I'm going to make a purely political post in which I claim that everybody but me is political".  

But again, that's reading a lot into one post.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

You may not have noticed but the politicians political response to pretty much everything has turned all things into politics. Even when science says it shouldn’t be. 

im not sure if you thought this was revelatory or something but this has been the state of this country for years. Probably decades. It’s just out in the open now.

maybe my expectations for here are higher? #shrugs

What started out as a thread reference pandemic information has devolved (imho) into a(nother) “they are bad” rant.

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

not sure how my post was political in nature?  But if it was, that was not my intent.  Simple observation from the cheap seats.

I’ll respectfully return to said seats

**edit**. 2nd part was reply to Larry

Edited by stoshuaj

25 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So now it's not a question of if or when this virus mutates but it already did and that's why its spreading faster now then it did in Wuhan?

Good to know.

Actually, I would assume that the fact that we're not quarantining like Wuhan did, is why it's spreading faster than Wuhan.  

(Obligatory mention - I'm pretty sure that Wuhan is spreading faster than Wuhan, too.  As in, their numbers are being suppressed, now.)  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

maybe my expectations for here are higher? #shrugs

What started out as a thread reference pandemic information has devolved (imho) into a(nother) “they are bad” rant.

cool but the politics of the situation play a large part in the pandemic itself. Denying or trying to ignore that gets us no where. 

past that, there is still loads of information in this topic that can be viewed as non political and I don’t remember seeing you add anything to it. Sorry if I missed that part. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Larry said:

Actually, I would assume that the fact that we're not quarantining like Wuhan did, is why it's spreading faster than Wuhan.  

(Obligatory mention - I'm pretty sure that Wuhan is spreading faster than Wuhan, too.  As in, their numbers are being suppressed, now.)  

We talking the verifiable numbers, or reality on the ground? 

If this version we see in Europe or North America is what Wuhan started with, China might of asked for help sooner.  It would get out of China either way, but the point is this isn't same virus China assumed it could get a control of, and Trump claimed to believe they could at one point.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I remember us speculating back in February what a second wave might look like in America, in comparison to the Spanish Flu. Attenuating mutations were brought up as a possible factor for why it may not be as intimidating as some speculate. Take a look at this:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-scientific-team-unique-mutation-coronavirus.html

Theoretically, this could mean continued spread of the virus, albeit with fewer severe and critical cases, which reflects the pattern we've been seeing in the numbers for a while now. The number of active severe and critical cases is lower today than it was in mid-April despite active cases in general climbing by over 60% since then.

Hopefully getting the virus does give immunity and at least some immunity to multiple strains.  It would be great if the less lethal one gives immunity to less lethal ones.

Assuming this is accurate, I'll also point out this is actually almost certainly partially a consequence of social distancing.  Viruses tend to become less lethal when it is harder for them to spread.  When it is easy to spread, lethality doesn't matter as much evolutionary and you can get a more lethal version (as what appears to have happened with the Spanish flu).  Something else to keep in mind when debating social distancing vs. re-opening the economy.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We talking the verifiable numbers, or reality on the ground? 

If this version we see in Europe or North America is what Wuhan started with, China might of asked for help sooner.  It would get out of China either way, but the point is this isn't same virus China assumed it could get a control of, and Trump claimed to believe they could at one point.

They found this mutation in one variant of what they've sequenced.  It isn't at all clear it is currently a dominant strain of what is spreading in the US.  And with one report, might not even be accurate.  Your reading too much in to this too soon.

The most simple explanation for things being different here than China is the way that China really shut things down.

3 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

They found this mutation in one variant of what they've sequenced.  It isn't at all clear it is currently a dominant strain of what is spreading in the US.  And with one report, might not even be accurate.  Your reading too much in to this too soon.

I mean, what am I supposed to believe or hope is true at this point because of lack of testing?  This is from LA Times article @China posted a page ago that lead to my comment:

Scientists have identified a new strain of the coronavirus that has become dominant worldwide and appears to be more contagious than the versions that spread in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a new study led by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

The new strain appeared in February in Europe, migrated quickly to the East Coast of the United States and has been the dominant strain across the world since mid-March, the scientists wrote

I'm not trying to be a smartass here, I'm just not sure what in supposed to be doing here in regards to trying to be aware on my surroundings with what I want to believe are reliable sources.  Your saying don't overreact, I can do that, what do I respond to then and how?

3 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

The most simple explanation for things being different here than China is the way that China really shut things down.

The extent they went to stop this and couldn't only feeds the need they should've told us what they knew sooner because it was inevitably going to get out.  I find it impossible to trust anything they say they did it didn't do now.  The number of reported desd doesn't match the number who are getting cremated or don't need cell phones, we wouldn't know if there where other strains in China because they wouldn't tell us anyway at this rate.

• Like 2

Claims on higher contagiousness are difficult to make based purely on computational modeling work. I read through the link China posted and it seems like there isn't much in vitro or in vivo support.

The new strain’s dominance over its predecessors demonstrates that it is more infectious, according to the report, though exactly why is not yet known.

Unless you show the "why", this is merely speculation IMO.  It could be that this strain is more contagious than what initially started in Wuhan. It is far more likelier that we don't actually know how contagious the initial strain was because China gaslighted the world until mid-to-late January and their data has mostly been sugar coated garbage.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 4

Fever, fatigue, fear: For some recovering COVID-19 patients, weeks of illness, uncertainty

Kate Porter has had a fever nearly every day for 50 days. She can't shake the extreme exhaustion that hit when she became infected with the coronavirus nearly two months ago.

The longevity of her symptoms are unlike anything she's ever experienced. "I know it sounds crazy," Porter said, "but is this permanent?"

Since her diagnosis, Porter, 35, has been in her Beverly, Massachusetts, home with her 12-year-old daughter, Adria, who also had symptoms of COVID-19.

Neither has underlying health conditions that would suggest a complicated or drawn-out recovery from the virus, and neither has had to be hospitalized.

According to data collected by Johns Hopkins, more than 180,000 people in the U.S. have recovered from COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention considers a person recovered if three days have passed since a fever broke without the assistance of medication, and respiratory symptoms, such as cough or shortness of breath, have improved. Negative tests can also signal recovery, but tests can be inaccurate.

After an initial positive COVID-19 test, Porter has since tested negative for the virus, yet symptoms persist.

"I'll feel great one afternoon and think, 'I'm going to read, I'm going to do laundry,'" Porter told NBC News. Inevitably, the fever and fatigue return.

It happens repeatedly, Porter said. "It's like a mind game."

Andrew Dumont, 32, of Seattle, has also tested negative for the virus after a previous positive COVID-19 test. Two months since first falling ill, Dumont still suffers from numbness in his limbs and shortness of breath — prompting two visits to the emergency room twice in the past week.

CT scans and lung x-rays showed no additional infections.

"It's really scary, because you're just kind of left at home by yourself essentially trying to treat it," Dumont said.

The ongoing symptoms make Porter and other patients worry they've developed a secondary infection. However, subsequent COVID-19 tests have been negative, and other diagnostic screenings have been unable to uncover additional problems.

'We fall into the category of not critical and dying, but not asymptomatic," Dumont said.

"That's a very lonely, unclear place to be."

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China
  • Like 2

Pfizer, BioNTech set to begin U.S. coronavirus vaccine trial

May 5 (Reuters) - Pfizer Inc and BioNTech SE said on Tuesday they have begun delivering doses of their experimental coronavirus vaccines for initial human testing in the United States.

The U.S. drugmaker and German partner said if the vaccine proves to be safe and effective in trials, it could potentially be ready for wide U.S. distribution by the end of the year, shaving several years off the typical vaccine development timeline.

The vaccine, which uses messenger RNA (mRNA) technology, has the potential to be among the first vaccines against the virus that has infected more than 1 million people in the United States and killed some 68,000.

There are currently no approved treatments or vaccines for the new coronavirus, though some drugs are being used on patients under an emergency use authorization.

The U.S. study is part of a broader, global program already underway in Germany, where BioNTech is based. Dosing there began last month.

Moderna Inc is using similar technology for its vaccine being developed along with the U.S. government. Phase I testing of that vaccine candidate has also begun, with mid-stage trials planned in the current quarter.

Pfizer said last week it hopes to receive emergency authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration as early as October, and could distribute up to 20 million doses by the end of 2020, with an eye toward producing hundreds of millions of doses next year.

Coronavirus: South Carolina woman arrested after coughing, licking hands then touching food at store

A South Carolina woman was arrested after she coughed and licked her hands before touching several food items at a grocery store on Saturday, authorities said.

Store surveillance shows Shenir Gibson Holliday, 38, coughing and licking her hands before pulling on freezer doors and touching food items throughout the store, according to the Sumter Police Department.

Holliday was arrested and charged with aggravated breach of peace and food tampering. She was also cited for violating the state’s home or work order, police said.

She was in jail on $100,000 bond, WLTX reported.

On Monday, she was charged after a similar incident at a sandwich shop. In that instance, Holliday ordered a sandwich, drink and chips, then licked her fingers before handing the clerk money for her order, WLTX reported.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, No Excuses said:

They are smart enough to know that economy only "reopens" when the virus is contained and vast majority of the public is reassured into resuming normal activities.

I think this is wrong.  Don't know what it is like where you are but where I am, you can barely tell it's "closed".  Once its "open", far too many people will be out and about.  Public doesn't seem to care enough to need to be reassured. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I think this is wrong.  Don't know what it is like where you are but where I am, you can barely tell it's "closed".  Once its "open", far too many people will be out and about.  Public doesn't seem to care enough to need to be reassured. 

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Despite the increasing number of people with COVID-19, there are a lot of people out there who either haven't experienced it or don't know anyone who's experienced it.  And after a prolonged time social distancing these people start to take it for granted that things are OK, or not as bad as they're being told.  Some people, until they experience it themselves, won't truly believe it.  By then, of course, it will be too late.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Larry said:

I would assume also that it would have been really well perceived by the US population if Donald send the US Army to lock down NY the way China did with Wuhan.

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

The extent they went to stop this and couldn't only feeds the need they should've told us what they knew sooner because it was inevitably going to get out.  I find it impossible to trust anything they say they did it didn't do now.  The number of reported desd doesn't match the number who are getting cremated or don't need cell phones, we wouldn't know if there where other strains in China because they wouldn't tell us anyway at this rate.

We should never trust China. And our leaders thought China learned after Stras outbreak early this century.

But as I've already said, if China lock down a full city of 15M people with the Army. You'd better be not trust anybody telling you that you're safe, because you absolutely aren't and will have to face it. Believing you are, in such a case, is pure stupidity and being naive.

I had this very discussion with my boss early March when we had to plan a work in Milan on the very next monday after Italy locked down Milan. I thought it wasn't a good idea.

My boss thought it was exagerrated by everyone and it was mostly nothing that wouldn't last anyway. So he ordered the work.

Hopefully our colleague camed back safely, but still, it was a dumb and stupid move just to make a bunch of money...

Every government downplayed this. They're all well aware of what is going on in the world. They've got real time TV, secret services at their disposal, and they happen to be wrong on this?

Maybe it's time to have some IQ and morality test done before someone apply to a leader job anywhere in the world...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Maybe it's time to have some IQ and morality test done before someone apply to a leader job anywhere in the world...

Elected Officials should have to go through the same clearance process for material they would need to get access to as anyone else, not any automatic clearance just for getting elected.

If you had to pass a polygraph before you can even run for President, that would down in this bull**** quick fast.  Maybe President gets a unique clearance and thus a harder clearance process then even polygraph?

Coronavirus in the U.S.: An Unrelenting Crush of Cases and Deaths

In New York City, the daily onslaught of death from the coronavirus has dropped to half of what it was. In Chicago, a makeshift hospital in a lakefront convention center is closing, deemed no longer needed. And in New Orleans, new cases have dwindled to a handful each day.

Yet across America, those signs of progress obscure a darker reality.

The country is still in the firm grip of a pandemic with little hope of release. For every indication of improvement in controlling the virus, new outbreaks have emerged elsewhere, leaving the nation stuck in a steady, unrelenting march of deaths and infections.

As states continue to lift restrictions meant to stop the virus, impatient Americans are freely returning to shopping, lingering in restaurants and gathering in parks. Regular new flare-ups and super-spreader events are expected to be close behind.

Any notion that the coronavirus threat is fading away appears to be magical thinking, at odds with what the latest numbers show.

Coronavirus in America now looks like this: More than a month has passed since there was a day with fewer than 1,000 deaths from the virus. Almost every day, at least 25,000 new coronavirus cases are identified, meaning that the total in the United States — which has the highest number of known cases in the world with more than a million — is expanding by between 2 and 4 percent daily.

Rural towns that one month ago were unscathed are suddenly hot spots for the virus.