Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

6 minutes ago, zskins said:

Oh no. Ouch. Well if it does go up on Monday or so at least you won't be like man I wish I hadn't sold. 

Trump is stupid so there is that...lol

Actually i did a terrible decision. I technically lost money by selling them at 13.45 and rebuying at 13.49 :/. 

New Test Shows That IHME COVID-19 Death Projections Display Optimism Bias

Unrealistic optimism in IHME projections is a serious issue because the White House relies on these projections. My concern is that biased projections support excessively optimistic messaging and imprudent policy for relaxing containment measures when reopening the economy.

Excessively optimistic expectations set the stage for eventual disappointment and can impact the mental health of a stressed nation. Excessively optimistic expectations can drive premature relaxation of containment measures that result in unnecessary deaths. Indeed, IHME director Christopher Murray has emphasized that relaxing containment measures too soon would lead to much higher deaths than IHME projections. When he talks about too soon, he is talking about now, the beginning of May.

Just to be clear: In mid-April, IHME was projecting that the U.S. would achieve 95% containment of COVID-19 by May 5, and 100% containment by August 4. May 5 is almost here.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hershshefrin/2020/05/01/new-test-shows-that-ihme-covid-19-death-projections-display-optimism-bias/#71cd81f02038

FDA grants remdesivir emergency use authorization for COVID-19

The Food and Drug Administration has granted remdesivir emergency use authorization to treat the most severely ill COVID-19 patients.

The FDA action specifies the drug may be used for both adults and children with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 diagnoses who are severely ill with low blood oxygen levels or who may be on a ventilator.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fda-grants-remdesivir-emergency-use-authorization-covid-19-n1197576

Edited by ClaytoAli

5 hours ago, Long n Left said:

I’m sure there is a no weapons law in state houses and any other government building, there are here in Charlotte. Every one of those people armed in that building are breaking the law, and our law enforcement should act accordingly. As was stated, if they were black, you can bet some **** would hit the fan.

If you are so sure, would you mind providing a link to said law?  

*psst.....you can't, I checked before I posted it.  I suggest Google before you post. 

• Haha 2

I hate selective reporting. 

This is technically true because they're only measuring positive cases. Deaths aren't counted that way by the CDC though and should not be the way we measure the strain on our hospitals. 

https://calmatters.org/health/coronavirus/2020/04/california-coronavirus-covid-patient-hospitalization-data-icu/

Suspected COVID-19 cases dropped by 1,850 in April, accounting fully for new subsequent positives, deaths and recoveries. On balance, we have around 800 fewer people in our hospitals with COVID-19 symptoms than we did a month ago. 

I don't think we should reopen this month, but I don't like misinformation either. 

Edited by Bacon

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I hate selective reporting. 

This is technically true because they're only measuring positive cases. Deaths aren't counted that way by the CDC though and should not be the way we measure the strain on our hospitals. 

https://calmatters.org/health/coronavirus/2020/04/california-coronavirus-covid-patient-hospitalization-data-icu/

Suspected COVID-19 cases dropped by 1,850 in April, accounting fully for new subsequent positives, deaths and recoveries. On balance, we have around 800 fewer people in our hospitals with COVID-19 symptoms than we did a month ago. 

I don't think we should reopen this month, but I don't like misinformation either. 

What's the point the article is trying to make?...I can't read it without subscribing.

And would the strain on hospitals be best measured by the number of confirmed COVID cases? It feels like those patients would require the most hospital resources (equipment and human resources).

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

And would the strain on hospitals be best measured by the number of confirmed COVID cases?

I would assume it's along the lines of "Number of patients who may or may not have tested positive, but we're treating them like they have it, based on their symptoms."  

That's a number that's a lot bigger than the "tested positive" number.  But I think @Bacon 's point is that the article is pointing out that the "tested positive" number is going up, but the "being treated like they have it" number is going down.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

*psst.....you can't, I checked before I posted it.  I suggest Google before you post. 

I know you can't go into VA Beach courthouse with your cell phone, let alone a gun. 

Has Municpal Center eased its gun restrictions after that guy ran in and started talking folks out last year?  Can't speak for any other state, the idea VA Beach wasn't warning enough for state and local governments completely flabbergasts me.

And if it hasn't already been said, someone needs to readjust these models, we'll hit 72k next week at this rate, not August.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Larry said:

I would assume it's along the lines of "Number of patients who may or may not have tested positive, but we're treating them like they have it, based on their symptoms."  

That's a number that's a lot bigger than the "tested positive" number.  But I think @Bacon 's point is that the article is pointing out that the "tested positive" number is going up, but the "being treated like they have it" number is going down.  

Yep.

Realistically, patients require beds and hospital resources regardless of their formal diagnosis. My argument is that measuring the strain on hospital sources using solely positive cases is unrealistic when testing has been so woefully inadequate. The steady climb in hospitalizations for confirmed cases can more easily be attributed to increasingly aggressive testing practices than it can viral proliferation, taking into account the enormous drop in suspected cases. 

People are either moving from suspected to confirmed, dying, or recovering. The result is a net of around 800 fewer people. 

Edited by Bacon

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

No need to be a smart ass. I said that I know it is illegal in Charlotte. They have metal detectors at government center, and the court buildings. I had guessed that would be the case in any other state capital, or larger urban area, but I stand corrected. Boggles the mind to think that is allowable in this day and time.

Larger point I was making is that had they been a large group of all black people carrying those weapons and wearing tactical gear, I’m pretty sure the law enforcement reaction would have been different. I know the exec administration, and fox/gop reaction would have.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

No need to be a smart ass. I said that I know it is illegal in Charlotte. They have metal detectors at government center, and the court buildings. I had guessed that would be the case in any other state capital, or larger urban area, but I stand corrected. Boggles the mind to think that is allowable in this day and time.

Larger point I was making is that had they been a large group of all black people carrying those weapons and wearing tactical gear, I’m pretty sure the law enforcement reaction would have been different. I know the exec administration, and fox/gop reaction would have.

Just FYI, in Michigan it is illegal to carry guns into court buildings.  However, the state capitol no longer houses the Michigan supreme court so there are not courts there and it is legal since the law doesn't cover all state government buildings.

39 minutes ago, Larry said:

I thought the point @Bacon was making was that since there are empty beds in the hospital, it actually means the strain on hospitals has not gone up even though the number of confirmed COVID cases increased (along with what we can assume would be increases in the ICU and increases in those needing ventilators). People who do not have COVID would rarely require trips to the ICU or to be put on ventilators, I would assume.

2 minutes ago, China said:

Just FYI, in Michigan it is illegal to carry guns into court buildings.  However, the state capitol no longer houses the Michigan supreme court so there are not courts there and it is legal since the law doesn't cover all state government buildings.

Which, IMO, is bat **** crazy. Will we (as a nation) ever learn?

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I know you can't go into VA Beach courthouse with your cell phone, let alone a gun. 

Has Municpal Center eased its gun restrictions after that guy ran in and started talking folks out last year?  Can't speak for any other state, the idea VA Beach wasn't warning enough for state and local governments completely flabbergasts me.

Honestly, I’m not sure.  I don’t really have much need to go into those buildings but I’d look before I did.  But I THINK all government buildings are no gun places here.

17 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

If you think that was smart ass, you haven’t been paying much attention here (that was smart ass).

Your opinions aside, if you were going to post saying you “were sure” about carrying guns into a statehouse, a simple Google search would have laid out Michigan law on the subject.