Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Gov Northam needs to do the chicken manure idea in time for the next 2A/Liberate Virginia/Moron rally.

Most of em are probably already used to the smell. 

Oh, cheap stereotype. Sue me. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

legit firms like moderna and others are doing trials correctly. 

This includes the Moderna vaccine candidate. They are mass producing many of the candidates. Same thing Bill Gates is doing. They are taking multi billion dollar loses on the ones that end up not making the cut. But the time you buy in having production at scale as soon as phase 3 is done is worth it.

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

Man, I feel him there. I miss those days of good old-fashioned covid-19 testing. Salt of the earth covid-19 testing...when men were men, women were women, and non-living lethal viruses were non-living lethal viruses. They just don't test it like they used to back in the day. There's no respect for tradition anymore.

When I was a kid, I had to walk 5 miles uphill in the snow to do a covid-19 test. And we didn't have any new-fangled swabs, we used moose hair tied to a stick to do ours! Our mothers made Lysol soup to keep us healthy, and we played football with a baked ham.

grandpa-simpson-300x218.jpg

• Haha 9

I hope someone smarter than me is thinking about what our future national security posture looks like from a virus response perspective. This has uncovered how easy it is to bring down the world economy. What happens if bad actors start developing viruses and threatening to use them or just letting them loose on purpose to sew chaos?  I wonder if the future playbook for handling situations like this looks like "we don't negotiate with terrorists". Meaning, we build response systems (fast tracking inoculations) then decide "not to negotiate with terrorists" (i.e. we don't shut down). Otherwise, it's a similar paradigm to hostage taking. If we shut down every time there is a new virus, then there is opportunity for bad actors.

Edited by Stadium-Armory

13 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

I hope someone smarter than me is thinking about what our future national security posture looks like from a virus response perspective. This has uncovered how easy it is to bring down the world economy. What happens if bad actors start developing viruses and threatening to use them or just letting them loose on purpose to sew chaos.  I wonder if the future playbook for handling situations like this looks like "we don't negotiate with terrorists". Meaning, we build response systems (fast tracking inoculations) then decide "not to negotiate with terrorists" (i.e. we don't shut down). Otherwise, it's a similar paradigm to hostage taking. If we shut down every time there is a new virus, then there is opportunity for bad actors.

The general school of thought on bioweapons is that it would likely be a last-resort measure taken by a nation-state at war as a form of mutually-assured destruction. The risk of an accidental leak is however always there if a country is actively involved in bioweapons research.

The real danger is with terrorist groups that may operate as death cults or not fully appreciate the consequences of their actions. But developing and unleashing a bioweapon requires some fairly sophisticated technology and expertise that for the most part is only accessible to governments. But this equation is changing pretty rapidly. Biotechnology, especially for editing, synthesizing and sequencing genomes is becoming increasingly cheaper, accurate and with a lower barrier of entry in terms of expertise.

We’re maybe a decade or two away from genomic biotech being as accessible as computers are today. Where even bad faith actors sitting at home can do a lot of damage. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stadium-Armory said:

I hope someone smarter than me is thinking about what our future national security posture looks like from a virus response perspective. This has uncovered how easy it is to bring down the world economy. What happens if bad actors start developing viruses and threatening to use them or just letting them loose on purpose to sew chaos?  I wonder if the future playbook for handling situations like this looks like "we don't negotiate with terrorists". Meaning, we build response systems (fast tracking inoculations) then decide "not to negotiate with terrorists" (i.e. we don't shut down). Otherwise, it's a similar paradigm to hostage taking. If we shut down every time there is a new virus, then there is opportunity for bad actors.

Sounds like the plot of Mission Impossible 2

• Like 3

Memo says California governor will order all beaches closed

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Gov. Gavin Newsom will order all beaches and state parks closed Friday after tens of thousands of people flocked to the seashore last weekend during a heat wave despite his stay-at-home order, according to a memo sent Wednesday evening to police chiefs around the state.

1000.jpeg

In this Saturday, April 25, 2020, file photo, people gather on the beach in Pismo Beach, Calif., on the state's Central Coast. 

Eric Nuñez, president of the California Police Chiefs Association, said it was sent to give chiefs time to plan ahead of Newsom’s expected announcement Thursday.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

THMO stock went up today.  Made a killing after was losing. Their CEO had an interview on Fox Business. His exact words were, “current production is over 100,000 a day and we can easily triple that. We are receiving lots of phone calls for preorders.”

Their stock went up 80% before news of COVID testing

Dozens of bodies found in U-Haul trucks outside NYC funeral home

Police found dozens of bodies being stored in unrefrigerated trucks outside a Brooklyn funeral home and lying on the facility’s floor Wednesday, law enforcement sources told The Post.

Between 40 and 60 bodies were discovered either stacked up in U-Haul box trucks outside Andrew Cleckley Funeral Services in Flatlands or on the building’s floor, after neighbors reported a foul odor around the property, sources said.

The corpses were stacked on top of each other in the trucks. Fluid leaking from inside created a terrible smell and caused neighboring store owners to call the police, according to sources.

2 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Because of the barriers to entry already discussed, I don't think this will be an issue for a while. However, what does worry me a good bit is that due to global warming among other things, COVID-19 almost certainly won't be the last emerging infectious disease we have to face. If something this infectious/virulent, or worse becomes an every decade kind of event, that would be truly ugly.

36 minutes ago, China said:

Dozens of bodies found in U-Haul trucks outside NYC funeral home

Police found dozens of bodies being stored in unrefrigerated trucks outside a Brooklyn funeral home and lying on the facility’s floor Wednesday, law enforcement sources told The Post.

Between 40 and 60 bodies were discovered either stacked up in U-Haul box trucks outside Andrew Cleckley Funeral Services in Flatlands or on the building’s floor, after neighbors reported a foul odor around the property, sources said.

The corpses were stacked on top of each other in the trucks. Fluid leaking from inside created a terrible smell and caused neighboring store owners to call the police, according to sources.

Somewhere, Ray Brent Marsh feels this undertaker's pain. Yeah, I went waaaay back for that one.

• Like 1

Top coronavirus model predicts 100,000 dead by the end of the pandemic's 1st wave this summer

By the end of the coronavirus’s “first wave” this summer, America will likely have buried close to 100,000 victims of the disease, with as many as 9 million people having become infected, according to Alessandro Vespignani, the director of the Network Science Institute at Northeastern University. The elite research lab, which has gained international notice for its pandemic modeling, also concluded that at least 80,000 to 90,000 Americans will be dead of coronavirus complications by mid-May. 

At least 60,207 Americans had died of coronavirus by Wednesday afternoon, according to the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center — more than the estimated 58,000 Americans killed in the Vietnam War.

Vespignani told the Yahoo News “Skullduggery” podcast that his modeling is much higher than official estimates because of what he has described as “invisible chains of transmission” of the virus throughout the United States in January and February — before top Trump administration officials grasped the severity of the crisis. By tracking travel numbers and other data, Vespignani said he and his associates have been able to trace the course of potential spreaders who had returned to the country from China and other nations where the virus had spread. 

This is the **** that really pisses me off lately...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/antibody-tests-support-whats-been-obvious-covid-19-is-much-more-lethal-than-flu/2020/04/28/2fc215d8-87f7-11ea-ac8a-fe9b8088e101_story.html

Headline: "Antibody tests support what’s been obvious: Covid-19 is much more lethal than the flu"

Body (emphasis is mine): 

The new serological data, which is provisional, suggests that coronavirus infections greatly outnumber confirmed covid-19 cases, potentially by a factor of 10 or more. Many people experience mild symptoms or none at all, and never get the standard diagnostic test with a swab up the nose, so they’re missed in the official covid-19 case counts. Higher infection rates mean lower lethality risk on average.

There are plenty of accurate things that are scary enough...why try to spin things? 

• Confused 2

Apple and Google release test version of coronavirus tracing software

Apple and Google released a beta version of their coronavirus tracing software on Wednesday. 

This software will power apps that do “digital contact tracing” or, as Apple and Google call it, “exposure notification.” These apps will provide notifications to users that they may have been exposed to someone infected with the Covid-19 coronavirus, without collecting or sharing data about their identities.

Apple and Google are not building the apps. Rather, they’re building technology into their market-leading smartphone operating systems, iOS and Android, to enable apps to use Bluetooth signals to determine their distance from other phones. If a person tests positive with Covid-19, they can use the apps to send notifications to other phones that have come within a certain distance, telling the owners of those phones to get tested.

Millions of people around the world are expected to download these apps to fight the spread of the coronavirus over the coming months.

BREAKING: U.S. officials crafting plans to punish or demand compensation from China over virus, as Trump fumes in private over pandemic

"China will pay for it."  

Officials discussing stripping China of sovereign immunity (so ppl can sue), or voiding US debt obligations to China

I mean, sure.  He hasn't damaged the country enough already.  Defaulting on the National Debt wouldn't add much to the damage.  Would it?  

Somebody get working on a Constitutional Amendment, so he can do it.  

Senior U.S. officials across multiple government agencies are expected to meet on Thursday to begin mapping out a strategy for seeking retaliatory measures against China. 

Observing that the reason why Trump didn't close down travel with China, when he knew about the epidemic, was because he needed a deal with China, so he could claim that his previous "get tough with China" plan wasn't a disaster.  

Voiding the debt we owe to China?? Oh, I'm sure that would be great for the markets and the borrowing power of the US. Hopefully someone is in there explaining how ****ing dumb that would be. 

Now, hitting China in another way, have at it. There should be some form of punishment for not being more transparent about all of this. 

• Like 1

I don't understand why the **** playing the blame game is even a thing right now.  How about just fixing the problem for the time being since people are ****ing dying because of this?  But then again, I don't understand pretty much everything coming out of this administration.

Oh and this is LOL.

https://imgur.com/NbzCZ2C

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Regarding @visionary's post about Tя☭mp's obvious attempts to shift blame for this onto the Chinese and "punish" them, it's clearly yet another boondogle to gin up his base that, as was the case with the trade war, they and the 'Muricun consumer will end up paying for in the end...

Reporter: Mr. President, can you comment on the continued shortage of testing capability?

Tя☭mp: It's a very nasty question, but I'll answer it anyway. So unfair, but I'll answer it. Well, we're going to hit China very bigly with sanctions to recover some of the money we spent (not) responding to COVID-19.

[Later at negotiations]

Tя☭mp: Xi, we're going to have to get some of the money back that we gave away buying non-existent ventilators, giving handouts to the 1% and mega corps. and stimulus checks to pay for bleach ****tails to cure this bacteria you all sent us.

Xi: It wasn't our fault and it was a virus.

Tя☭mp: I know, but forget that man. I need to get re-elected! What can you do for me?

Xi: [Quickly does math in head to figure out how much of a price increase 'Muricun consumers might stomach] OK, how about $2.5 billion Mr. President?

Tя☭mp: Don't you forget that i've mastered the of the art of the st..deal, and I'm a very stable genius to boot so I'm not falling for that one! [Looks at ceiling to pretend he can do math in his head] Counter offer, make it $1 billion and you buy $500 million in Tя☭mp steaks and we've got a deal.

Xi: Mr. President, you're too smart for me. You have a deal! [shakes head] We never stood a chance.

Tя☭mp: Don't feel bad. I do this to everybody.

Xi: [Looks over shoulder to finance minister]

Finance Minister: [Winks back at Xi] I've already raised the export taxes sir.

[Meanwhile, back in 'Muricuh]

Tя☭mp Voter 1: Yee haw! Tя☭mp, you shore showed them Chinese, boy! Again! Heeeey, how come they raised the price of the slop I live on at the Dollar General?

Tя☭mp Voter 2: Come on now ya dummy. Just like always, it's causa Oh-BOMMUH, Pelosi and Schumer.

• Thanks 1