Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

39 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I wish Jared would be kind enough to share that data with the rest of us "lockdown fans".

I wish Jared would be kind enough to share what qualifications he has to do literally any of the things he's been tasked with and/or put in charge of while working in the Trump administration. Coronavirus, Middle East peace, opioid crisis, criminal justice reform, to name a few.

And sounding like Truman Capote doesn't count. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I wish Jared would be kind enough to share what qualifications he has to do literally any of the things he's been tasked with and/or put in charge of while working in the Trump administration. Coronavirus, Middle East peace, opioid crisis, criminal justice reform, to name a few.

And sounding like Truman Capote doesn't count. 

I wish Jared would be kind enough to swallow his own tongue in his sleep, but I'm a dreamer......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Re:  Virginia.

On one hand, it’s not comforting to see my state ranked 47th in testing per capita.

On the other hand, I live in Hanover County.  We have 100K people here, 109 cases and 9 deaths.  How many tests do we need out here?  Nobody is sick and the hospitals are empty.

So, how much of the state resources should we allocate to setup testing on demand for Hanover?  To accomplish what...to tell us what we already know?  That our rural location combined with the lockdown kept us mostly isolated?

Allocate the tests to where the outbreaks are happening...Tidewater and the beltway.

Also want to add that it appears that VA has administered roughly 30k tests in the last week.  So, we have begun to ramp it up quite a bit.

Henrico county has 835 cases and 95 deaths (second highest death total behind Fairfax).  So, it's not just Tidewater and the beltway.

Edited by First Colony

21 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Smells of real panic on his end, that meat shortages would be more panic and controversy for his administration.  He'd rather gamble the lives of those working at the factory.

They won't be allowed to vote so it doesn't matter. Now if the meat packing workforce was made up of fetuses, Tя☭mp and the Republiklans would be falling all over themselves to make sure they were protected.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, First Colony said:

Henrico county has 835 cases and 95 deaths (second highest death total behind Fairfax).  So, it's not just Tidewater and the beltway.

Fair point, but I’m fairly certain about 60% of those deaths are elderly patients confined to nursing homes.

Which is terrible, obviously.  But not indicative of wide community spread in the county.

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

On one hand, it’s not comforting to see my state ranked 47th in testing per capita.

On the other hand, I live in Hanover County.  We have 100K people here, 109 cases and 9 deaths.  How many tests do we need out here?  Nobody is sick and the hospitals are empty.

So, how much of the state resources should we allocate to setup testing on demand for Hanover?  To accomplish what...to tell us what we already know?  That our rural location combined with the lockdown kept us mostly isolated?

Allocate the tests to where the outbreaks are happening...Tidewater and the beltway.

Also want to add that it appears that VA has administered roughly 30k tests in the last week.  So, we have begun to ramp it up quite a bit.

I would expect to see Fairfax County’s totals similar to DC simply because of proximity.  Wapo doesn’t break it out by county I don’t think and neither does the VDH.  I agree that rural areas don’t have the demand for testing, but when the state’s testing and per capita rates are so far different than DC or Maryland I begin to wonder if there’s a counting error going on here in VA.

Happy to see testing ramp up though for sure.

26 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Fair point, but I’m fairly certain about 60% of those deaths are elderly patients confined to nursing homes.

Which is terrible, obviously.  But not indicative of wide community spread in the county.

Agreed since the two big nursing homes had severe outbreaks. And your point is well taken about rural counties. Here in Powhatan, we have had very few cases and being spread out naturally has something to do with it I think. What I don’t understand is why Virginia is so far behind in testing. 

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

You asked yesterday about getting "ahead of this with testing" the other day being too late, it's not too late for rural areas.  

It's just going go take longer to get to rural areas, but if we are like a year or two from a vaccine, the virus has a year or two to get everywhere. 

Looking at what's happened this month alone.  That cluster in southwest Georgia is disturbing, as if everything else this already isn't. That is our possible future with some rural areas with way less hospitals to handle it.

SmartSelect_20200429-121953_Chrome.jpg

Very much aware of that @Renegade7.  Re-opening the honky-tonks and churches right now out in the sticks would be a terrible idea.

At the same time, sending a bunch of professionals out into the hills to track down and test all 12000 hillbillies in Patrick County doesn’t seem like a good use of resources right now.  We pretty much know that the virus hasn’t had an impact out there...yet.

12000 negative results doesn’t tell us anything.  Unless we’re planning to remove shelter-in-place out there.

Which, again, would be a terrible idea.

Edited by TryTheBeal!

13 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Very much aware of that @Renegade7.  Re-opening the honky-tonks and churches right now out in the sticks would be a terrible idea.

At the same time, sending a bunch of professionals out into the hills to track down and test all 12000 hillbillies in Patrick County doesn’t seem like a good use of resources right now.  We pretty much know that the virus hasn’t had an impact out there...yet.

12000 negative results doesn’t tell us anything.  Unless we’re planning to remove shelter-in-place out there.

Which, again, would be a terrible idea.

It's only a question on the table because you are right about limited resources.  Antibody tests would tell us more, if they were reliable.  This will take longer then it needs to if we keep making educated guesses, I don't want to confuse what we should be doing with what we can do with everything under consideration.

We don't actually know that, we do know a lot of folks have been dying in their house around the country and added to the count later. If we make the wrong assumption it could cost us dearly, even if we have no choice because we can't get the tests we need to confirm anyway.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  The majority of most states is rural, these metropolitan hotspots could eventually become islands surrounded by **** like SW Georgia at rate we are going, about two years to find out.  

: /

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Prioritizing limited resources makes all the sense in the world

but it’s hard for me to criticize a plan that involves information I don’t know. Throughout this whole thing I’ve been privy to information before the public and it seems like the public is at best 3 days behind, often 1-2 weeks. I’ve tuned everything out the last 2 weeks but that’s how it was up until then. And it didn’t matter the source; experts at the daily briefing, top tier news outlet (NYT WP et al), etc. 

what is also obvious is that from a logistics perspective our government (federal and state) for the most part appear incompetent entirely too often. 

so it’s hard to know if test allocation is because of something we don’t know (yet) or if it’s because of incompetence in the logistics of it all. 

all I know is that I want a thorough review of the shortcomings of the federal and state governments (specially Virginia) and I want the hospitals reviewed  

hospitals and healthcare workers have received a large pass through all of this, and even for the most part have been basking in the “hero’s” glow instead of being constructively evaluated. And there’s a whole lot wrong with that. 

some of it... would boil your blood. I’m talking local sheriff deputy assigned school resource officer sitting outside while someone massacres children type of blood boiling. 

if I had my way there’d be lots of people losing licenses and banned from the medical professions for life. 

sorry For the tangent. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2020 at 1:24 PM, visionary said:

Can he do this?  

Meat plant workers to Trump: Employees aren't going to show up

Meat-processing plant workers are concerned about President Donald Trump's executive order that compels plants to remain open during the coronavirus pandemic. Meat plant employees are among America's most vulnerable workers, and some say they expect staff will refuse to come to work.

"All I know is, this is crazy to me, because I can't see all these people going back into work," said Donald, who works at Tyson's Waterloo, Iowa, facility. "I don't think people are going to go back in there."

Donald asked to be referred to by his first name only. He is currently recovering after testing positive for the virus.

"I'm still trying to figure out: What is he going to do, force them to stay open? Force people to go to work?" he asked.

CNN Business has spoken to employees in several Tyson plants who do not want to be named for fear of losing their jobs.

Click on the link for the full article