Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know. I am a dum-dum that can't figure out how to use the quote feature.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Jay Gruden would disagree part.  I get your point but the way you posted it -- it unintentionally comes off like its my comment which it wasn't.  

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Could be - but I worry about the linebackers in coverage and the corners/FS combination.

I dont. Not really. I'm more worried about the run. We have a lot of tweener types. I'm generally the loudest for a true deep FS and still am, but Apke did well not letting Norman's bad coverage cost us TDs, so who knows, but if Apke or Fuller are player single high and Collins, Davis and SDH are on the field, that's a lot of speed and power.

24 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Saw this and was hoping Skins could trade TW for Harris and a 2nd or 3rd day pick.  Looks like that's not happening.  Harris is from VA and is the real deal.  

Me too and they can draft Winfield. It just makes sense for everyone. 

Keep a sharp eye on Kyle Smith's UDFA crop this year folks--just read an interesting and obviously true tweet or two about smaller school or lesser known prospects that usually get a chance to catch scouts' eyes at their pro days, not getting that chance this year the way things are going. Could mean a particularly talent-rich group of UDFA's or late round draft picks for those who know what they're looking for and are thorough. 

15 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Keep a sharp eye on Kyle Smith's UDFA crop this year folks--just read an interesting and obviously true tweet or two about smaller school or lesser known prospects that usually get a chance to catch scouts' eyes at their pro days, not getting that chance this year the way things are going. Could mean a particularly talent-rich group of UDFA's or late round draft picks for those who know what they're looking for and are thorough. 

Skins seem to have a long history of finding UDFA gems, goin back a long way...

S. Sims

D. Johnson

Dunbar

R. Kelly (he only shined for a short time, but still shined)

D. Young

L. Paulson

A. Pierce

That's just from the top of my head. I'm sure there's been quite a few more

Keim's Chime

He agrees with me on S. Davis, regarding him not starting

" He's coming off a shoulder injury that limited him to one game last season. He did start 40 games in his first three years combined, with 15 at free safety in 2018. But after his injury the Steelers traded for Minkah Fitzpatrick, making Davis expendable. In his one season at free safety, Davis wasn't a playmaker (only one interception) and has only one forced fumble. But the risk comes if they pencil him in as the starter and he doesn't provide a whole lot. However, based on his contract, a starting role can't be assumed."

Rest of article

Washington Redskins' 2020 NFL free-agent signings:

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/39691/washington-redskins-2020-nfl-free-agent-signings-cb-kendall-fuller-back-where-he-started

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think this is good for Haskins. He still gets the lesson that he has to compete, and with a guy who has started and even won some games, despite not being great. He has to compete with a guy who is two years ahead of him in this system, mentally, but that he KNOWS he can beat out and hand a clipboard to if he just does his homework--it will light a fire under the correct part of his game, meaning: his work ethic, study habits, and attention to detail.

Yep.  Even Bucky Brooks who worshipped Haskins before the draft has mentioned he's heard about Dwayne's work habits (though he still loves his talent) being questioned and sees Kyle as a genuine threat for the starting job.  Seems like (knock on wood) Haskins is working it hard this off season and hopefully he keeps it going.  Reading about Kyle Allen, seems like he is a maniac as to work habits-intangibles so hopefully that helps push Haskins some more.

I haven't watched Kyle Allen, yet but I'll get to it. 

Based on the contracts for the FAs we signed, I’m not sure anyone is guaranteed to be a starter. I think the plan by Ron is to bring in as many potential younger players (TD is an exception but more about culture) and let them battle it out and see who wins the battle. The cream who rises to the top will get an opportunity for a new contract. Ron said it himself. He wants to see the players with his own eyes without tying us up in a long term deal even Schreff falls into this category. 

When you think about it, this philosophy makes sense. Is there anyone untouchable on a 3-13 team? Can you blame Ron for wanting to see for himself who he wants to keep long term? 

Oh I’m sure we will bring in someone else as a potential starter at free safety whether that be thru the draft or later cuts. 

7 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

I asked a buddy of mine who’s a big Penn State fan about Apke. He wasn’t too impressed and surprised he actually got drafted. I said after watching his first preseason game. This guy can’t tackle. He did take better angles last year so maybe he could get even better but he’s a liability for us in the secondary. His speed doesn’t translate to the field. 

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Same here. I don't know why I'm high on him, but I am. I know he flys and like to hit. 

Imagine for a moment if you could create a player with the body of Apke...and the mind of Reed Doughty.

Was thinking about free agency last night. So there's a feeling we are waiting on the market to cool for a starting CB and FS (sorry, can't remember their names). So are the other 31 teams, or all those that need a safety and corner anyway. So at the point the two players eventually cave and lower their asking prices wouldn't supply and demand immediately cause those prices to rise again as all the interested teams fight for their attention? They'll presumably sign for the highest bidder, just think we should grab them now while they are available. Always assuming we are looking at them of course!

Or don't basic economics work in the NFL 🤔

2 hours ago, UK Skins said:

Was thinking about free agency last night. So there's a feeling we are waiting on the market to cool for a starting CB and FS (sorry, can't remember their names). So are the other 31 teams, or all those that need a safety and corner anyway. So at the point the two players eventually cave and lower their asking prices wouldn't supply and demand immediately cause those prices to rise again as all the interested teams fight for their attention? They'll presumably sign for the highest bidder, just think we should grab them now while they are available. Always assuming we are looking at them of course!

Actually yes and no.

Teams will only pay some players a certain amount. They will nit go above it even to beat another team for that player.

The player will presumably take the highest bid which will still be lower than they are currently asking for.

3 hours ago, UK Skins said:

Some of this thought process has been bothering me as well, assuming we are banking on player X being available for us to sign if push comes to shove. Let's assume that we  have Penn or Beachum on our radar to play LT once we move Trent. There's a limited supply and once another team signs them, they are gone.

As the old car sales saying goes "The car you look at today and  and might buy tomorrow is the same one someone looked at yesterday and might buy today."  

I don't think the team is waiting on anyone specific or feels it has to sign anyone additional. It may sign additional players if the right opportunity presents itself or it may not. But I think the team is fine going into the season with Darby/Moreau/Fuller at CB and Davis/Collins at S if it comes to that.

35 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Some of this thought process has been bothering me as well, assuming we are banking on player X being available for us to sign if push comes to shove. Let's assume that we  have Penn or Beachum on our radar to play LT once we move Trent. There's a limited supply and once another team signs them, they are gone.

As the old car sales saying goes "The car you look at today and  and might buy tomorrow is the same one someone looked at yesterday and might buy today."  

Perfectly summed up 🙂

It's probably just us fans that think that there are decent options at CB and FS in Free Agency and the team may well not, but with key positions to fill in the draft it seems strange to wait until their prices drop significantly if we are interested, especially given our recent conversations that the Redskins might not be an attractive destination right now.

1 hour ago, dyst said:

There isn't this grand master plan conspiracy of "we are waiting". They tried to land a few key name from this years pot, swung and missed simple as that. 

I agree with this, up to a point.

Right now, Trent is our LT and (unless he gets traded) will be expected to start. If we sign another starting LT before trading him, he loses some value as it'll be obvious that we're moving on from him.

No conspiracy, but definitely a wait-and-see situation IMO.

Personally I think FA has been slightly disappointing. I like the moves we’ve made in the context that many are depth or short term/low risk type moves, I just don’t think we’ve added enough quality at positions of real need. We should have been more aggressive.

A better return in FA paired with staying at #2 for Young was the ideal scenario. I’m now more swayed to drop from #2 which clearly isn’t the correct approach, as we should target the blue chipper in the draft. Two wrongs don’t make a right and all that. Wonder what the FO view really is. Has FA to date influenced their draft thinking?

Still got 3-4 weeks to really work on the roster. I’m eager to see what moves we actually make in the time. For me, we’re coming up short right now. 

19 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

I asked a buddy of mine who’s a big Penn State fan about Apke. He wasn’t too impressed and surprised he actually got drafted. I said after watching his first preseason game. This guy can’t tackle. He did take better angles last year so maybe he could get even better but he’s a liability for us in the secondary. His speed doesn’t translate to the field. 

It does on special teams - and thats his role.

Archived