Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Breer

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/04/01/nfl-tone-down-optimism-coronavirus?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb&__twitter_impression=true

Mason, I’m not sure what Trent Williams’ other options are here. Again, I heard he wanted quarterback money last year, and other teams are under the impression he wants to be the highest paid lineman now – topping $18 million per on a new deal. And that last part would be fine if he were a free agent. But he’s not. He’s got a year left on his deal, and the contract ask compounds the price for teams interested.

Now, you’re looking for those teams to give up a premium draft pick and a top-of-the-market contract for a tackle with injury/off-field flags that’s turning 32 in three months. Again, there’s probably a team or two out there willing to make Williams the highest paid tackle in football. But do that and give up a first-round pick, or a second-round pick and something else?

So either Washington needs to give him away for what they’d get in a comp pick or less now, or Williams has to come down on his financial demands. There’s a middle ground somewhere here. But for right now, there’s a little bit of a staring contest going on.

Washington Redskins

The Redskins have a new coach in Ron Rivera, but it’s not entirely clear what their new direction is going to be. There has been no push in free agency to arm second-year quarterback Dwayne Haskins with weaponry, for instance. With Washington acquiring quarterback Kyle Allen from Carolina for a fifth-round pick, Haskins might not even be best prepared to start for the team in the fall, given that Allen already knows the offense after starting under Rivera and offensive coordinator Scott Turner in Carolina last season.

“I don’t know why they had to give a fifth for Kyle Allen and then you give away a starting corner (Quinton Dunbar) to Seattle for a fifth,” an exec said. “Maybe the corner wanted a new deal, but at some point you should be able to sell guys on your culture and vision, although that is harder this offseason.”

The Redskins still own the rights to Trent Williams, the tackle who held out last season and sharply criticized longtime team president Bruce Allen, who was fired after the season as Rivera took over the organization. That led another exec to ask whether the team’s stance toward Williams had changed in Allen’s absence.

“Maybe the market was greater a year ago,” this exec said.

Cornerback/safety Kendall Fuller, formerly of Kansas City, is the highest-priced free agent Washington has signed so far. Ronald Darby was another addition at cornerback. Thomas Davis, 37, signed for $3.5 million a year in a move that seemed to signal as much as anything what Rivera might be thinking.

“I think they have determined the building was so toxic they just need good guys and a culture and atmosphere, and that may be the case, but it’s not like you look at the NFC East and see a division of world beaters,” an exec said. “That is what happens when you give a coach full control. You are going to get what they see.”

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

.”

I really dislike these type of articles and especially a GM making these sort of declarations anonymously. I get it as it broadens the scope of questions a reporter can ask resulting in unique content, but it seems wrong on both parties. It satisfies the reader in the moment, but there’s no substance, and zero responsibility involved. Weak and spineless. 

Most likely a GM being coy and practicing gamesmanship through using a reporter while manipulating a small portion of the fanatics.

I promise I’m not that worked up about it and did read most of it lol. 

It looks to me like RR has prioritized getting hungry, unproven guys who are coachable and who they think have upside given opportunities. The one reason I like this approach is that we've often seen overpriced vet free agents signed who almost always under perform. It also looks like RR is stressing building the team culture. 

Lets face it, this will be a season to build the foundation and see what chances on young guys paid off and which ones didn't. Then, next year, we will have a ton of cap money to spend and a full compliment of draft choices to really add on to the foundation built this year. Sounds like a plan to me....make the goal this year to make the playoffs and see what happens. But next year should be the breakout season imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, wit33 said:

I really dislike these type of articles and especially a GM making these sort of declarations anonymously. I get it as it broadens the scope of questions a reporter can ask resulting in unique content, but it seems wrong on both parties. It satisfies the reader in the moment, but there’s no substance, and zero responsibility involved. Weak and spineless. 

Most likely a GM being coy and practicing gamesmanship through using a reporter while manipulating a small portion of the fanatics.

I promise I’m not that worked up about it and did read most of it lol. 

Are you really suggesting another GM would put his name to critical comments regarding the Redskins moves?  That won't happen for obvious reasons, these guys need to work together (just as players do) so they have to temper their thoughts or give them anonymously.  When you don't have to worry about the ramifications you can speak honestly  There's a reason every single player says only positive things about their coach or teammates even when it's not always the truth.   

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

I don't want to be a Manusky Apologist.  But he doesn't deserve the level of criticism.  No he was not the best.  He was not the worst either.  Haslett was way worse.  Manusky struggled with personnel.  His schemed were okay, but he couldn't teach the players to execute them.  So no he was not great, but he wasn't inept either.  When we had the whole team we were competitive.  As people got hurt and were replaced by street free agents, rookies draft picks and UDFA's.  Then we went downhill fast.  

And as for him taking a job as an assistant at and SEC school.  Just think, he is most likely going to get paid by the Redskins for one more season.  So he doesn't have to work.  He can sit home and collect NFL money.  So you spend a year doing something fun for someone who you are friends with.  Recharge, reboot, and try again in 2021.  He will have to take a step back probably become an LB coach.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

It was on him and the entire regime no matter how you spin it. He didn’t teach his scheme. Whether his scheme is sound or not isn’t the point. 

It was not all his fault. He, like so many others in this organization, was dealt a bad hand. 

But keep in mind, saying Manusky didn’t do much right here does not = Manusky can’t be a good coach.

• Like 1

That's all I was trying to say.  He isn't LeCharles McDaniel.  He wasn't under qualified.  He can be a solid coach.  Maybe not cut out to be a DC in a big market.  Or with a young team.  I think he might do better if he had a stronger head coach.  I like Jay and I think he probably has learned a lot of lessons and will be better if he ever gets a chance, but his ultimate failure was he didn't take control of the team.  They were always losey goosey and non one was accountable for everything and that starts with Jay.  

Heck, Belichek got fired from Cleveland.  Sometimes people don't succeed the first time.  Pete Carroll was fired from the Jets.  People grow and get better.  

• Like 1

I completely agree there. Though Belichick shouldn’t have gotten fired from Cleveland. 

The Manusky jokes are jokes on the entire organization previous to now. The DC is now a quality control coach. A guy who is a qualified NFL coach got turned to a mid tier SEC school quality control coach. What other organization does that to a guy?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Shakazullo21 said:

I don't want to be a Manusky Apologist.  But he doesn't deserve the level of criticism.  No he was not the best.  He was not the worst either.  Haslett was way worse.  Manusky struggled with personnel.  His schemed were okay, but he couldn't teach the players to execute them.  So no he was not great, but he wasn't inept either.  When we had the whole team we were competitive.  As people got hurt and were replaced by street free agents, rookies draft picks and UDFA's.  Then we went downhill fast.  

And as for him taking a job as an assistant at and SEC school.  Just think, he is most likely going to get paid by the Redskins for one more season.  So he doesn't have to work.  He can sit home and collect NFL money.  So you spend a year doing something fun for someone who you are friends with.  Recharge, reboot, and try again in 2021.  He will have to take a step back probably become an LB coach.

Boy I don't know about that. We never saw this level of mass confusion in the secondary with Haslett.  I think we can all agree Manusky's personnel was not that bad, probably better than Haslett's who never did have anything resembling a NT among other shortcomings.

But this is the ugliest pig discussion, they both sucked.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Our 2020 Free Agency can best be described as adding about 15 Pernell McPhees

Yeah that's been my position all along.   Aside from Davis and Fuller they have pretty much signed bad NFL players and labeled them "depth".  Hard to see much of an improvement here. 

• Like 1

There are a couple of things I've seen after the fact that make be believe our defense has more than advertised. One, how many times did the CB look at the safety or vice versa after a big play with hands in the air like WTF? No one knew what their role was or what they were supposed to be doing--JDR noted this the 1st thing he saw.

Second--how the **** do you not stunt with Allen, Payne, and Sweat? They stunted the lowest amount in the league...with that kind of athletic talent makes no sense to me.

It's not all Manusky's fault. That whole coaching staff--offense and defense--was a hodge podge of pieces that clearly did not fit.

• Like 3

Jack Del Rio makes our defense a Top 15 just on his coaching ability.

We are adding Darby, Fuller and Davis to the secondary ... Davis and Rueben Foster (proving he's healthy) at LB ... and an all-world DE in Chase Young to the DL. Plus switching to a 4-3 schematically. I think we are going to make a huge leap, even with no "big name" CB. I think Fuller-Moreau-Darby-Moreland is a pretty decent 1-4 though certainly not top-heavy. But I think the front 7 will mask that.

I mean can you imagine if Foster is healthy? Him and Thomas Davis starting at LB would be light years ahead of what we started in 2019. SDH and Holcomb were forced into lots of playing time and both did okay, but I look forward to them continuing to grow and compete with some uber-talented guys in front of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah that's been my position all along.   Aside from Davis and Fuller they have pretty much signed bad NFL players and labeled them "depth".  Hard to see much of an improvement here. 

bad NFL players don't last long enough to be unrestricted free agents

• Thanks 1

I was fairly optimistic when we hired Manusky. Remember Joe Berry and Haslett? Manusky was surely going to better than those 2. Alas not to be..I remember Greg as a lb under Petitbon and thought he would be fairly aggressive. He was the exact opposite. Gruden didn’t help himself with any of these guys especially since he wanted a control style offense and needed a strong defense. 

If we had hired Phillips things might have been much different. By the way I didn’t know Gruden got hired as offensive coordinator in Jacksonville. Good for him. I’m very high on Del Rio and think he brings an instant credibility to the team and the players. 

• Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby