Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Akeem Davis-Gaither is my dude. He’d instantly change the dynamic of the defense with him at one of the OLB spots. I just have a feeling we’re not going to take him with our 3rd and he’ll be gone by the 4th. This is one of those times that I hope we are valuing him more than the teams themselves

Rivera made a priority of getting a young leader at LB. Had to wait year until he could  draft Kuechly. Maybe why he brought a couple of vets into the group, in particular Davis.

Ive long felt if we draft Young at #2, the next pick is MLB, followed by TE and WR. I don’t think my choice of LB in Brooks was that popular though :ols:

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Rivera made a priority of getting a young leader at LB. Had to wait year until he could  draft Kuechly. Maybe why he brought a couple of vets into the group, in particular Davis.

Ive long felt if we draft Young at #2, the next pick is MLB, followed by TE and WR. I don’t think my choice of LB in Brooks was that popular though :ols:

He’s not bad by any stretch. He’s one of the better options and plays with intensity. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, goskins10 said:

What a ridiculous misrepresentation. Slay cost them a 3rd and 5th rd draft pick. And while yes this year his CAP is $4.3M, it comes with 3 yr $50 contract with $26M in guaranteed money. 

Darby is here on a one year $4M contract. No further commitment. And let's not forget Darby while coming off injury is 3 yrs younger than Slay. 

So exactly what are the eagles rejoicing? Would you be OK had we traded a 3rd and 5th rd pick and given Slay the 3 yr $50M contract extension with $26M in guarantees and will turn 30 next yr? It's pretty close the Landon Collins contract - only $5M less in guaranteed money but we have control of Collins for 3 more seasons but can get rid of him about the same length of time and he is just 26. But the Redskins did not give up 2 draft picks. And Redskins fans have been apoplectic despite Collins playing very good football on a very badly coached defense. 

The eagles paid through the nose for Slay in both draft picks and money. If eagles fans are "rejoicing" they not very bright - which is pretty much true so fair enough. 

They're rejoicing for 3 reasons: 1) They know how bad Darby can be and swapped him for a much better player.  2) Considering they're a playoff contender, the difference in talent is worth the price. They're actually playing with stakes.  3) If Darby balls out, you're gonna have to pay him too.  Not 3yr/50M, but its relative because he's not as good.  Or he walks and you're back to square one after spending season on a rental. Basically the Ereck Flowers situation where nice story, guy overperforms, and we're back to needing a replacement.

The age difference is really the only part I would object to.  The Eagles can get out of the contract after 2021 if it isnt working out.  If Slay's as good as he's supposed to be, the picks would be worth it.  The picks they traded were excess.  They traded a 3rd and 5th and still have a 3rd and 5th left and more picks than us right now.  We wouldnt have the luxury of doing that.  You're ok with committment when you believe the guy is good.  

Edited by justice98
  • Thanks 1

I'm confident that we're going to have a very good defensive unit. Regardless of the past performance of any players we have on D, I'm giving them an upgrade, simply on the fact that I believe Del Rio will get the absolute best out of every player and the D as a whole.

And for the returning players on D, I'll give them an extra upgrade. Those guys played on a D led by Greg Manusky, who is now a defensive quality control coach for the University of Kentucky. I can't wait to see the improvement in this defense. And in my opinion, the defensive coordinator is going to be the reason for that more so than the players themselves.    

• Thanks 1

I hope Horton is wrong.  i was cool with the trade, still am, but selfishly I don't want Dunbar to emerge that big.  😀

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/29/ray-horton-compares-cb-quinton-dunbar-to-richard-sherman/

Ray Horton compares CB Quinton Dunbar to Richard Sherman

usatsi_11785190.jpg?w=779&h=467&crop=1
18 hours ago

Former Washington Huskies player and NFL defensive coach Ray Horton participated in a phone interview to discuss new Seahawks cornerback Quinton Dunbar, a player he coached last season with the Washington Redskins.

In the interview, Horton compared Dunbar to former Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman, specifically drawing parallels with their backgrounds and styles of play.

“To me, it would be Richard Sherman,” Horton said. “Because of the style of play, the hands, the anticipation, the (being a) former wide receiver, the competitiveness. Really, that’s what you are getting is a young Richard Sherman. And this kid is hungry. He wants to be good.”

Dunbar also has a similar arm length to that of Sherman at 32-5/8 inches to the latter’s 32. Horton went on to say that Dunbar is a versatile player who can handle different defensive situations despite limitations in certain areas.

“He’s got a lot of position flexibility,’’ Horton said. “You wouldn’t want him on the small (Julian) Edelman-type guy. That’s not his deal. He’s just too tall. But he can play inside. He can play on tight ends. He can play left. He can play right.”

Horton said Dunbar adheres to the standards expected of a player at the professional level regarding work ethic and locker room presence, so the Seahawks should not have any issues with him.

“He’s not a problem,” Horton said. “He’s a joy to work with. He works hard, he pushes himself, and he pushes his teammates. But there’s nothing wrong with that kind of a player. You want that kind of a player.

“You are getting that type of player – they are going to love this kid.”

7 hours ago, wit33 said:

Pure speculation, but I don’t envision much of a change in philosophy from Ron and company in the coming off-seasons. It appears they’re a group that’s largely going to depend on the draft, hard workers, and if a “core 8” type player presents itself in the open market and it aligns with a need a pursuit will take place. 

Keim seems to have nailed what Rivera would do in FA before it happens.  He said they'd go for the kill for a great player they want in FA.  Heck according to him they wanted Cooper so bad they offered him 23 million a year.  But they won't overpay for medium level type players they don't love.

If they want a steak bad and it costs a lot, they will throw money old school Dan style at that player.  But otherwise they won't Bruce Allen style pay $18 for hamburgers that are worth $9. 

• Like 1

I don’t have anything against Dunbar and hope he does well in Seattle. He didn’t want to be here and made that point clear. Ron wants guys who want to be here so it made sense to trade him. At this point it is what it is and we move on with Darby Fuller Fabian and Moreland. 

I mentioned it before but our front seven especially our line will determine how our secondary performs. If we get a Chase Young and we can consistently pressure the QB with a solid rotation we will be fine. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Those numbers makes me still think Trent is in play for a trade for one of those teams. Crossing fingers. 

Edited by skinsfan93

17 minutes ago, justice98 said:

They're rejoicing for 2 reasons: 1) They know how bad Darby can be and swapped him for a much better player.  2) Considering they're a playoff contender, the difference in talent is worth the price. They're actually playing with stakes.  3) If Darby balls out, you're gonna have to pay him too.  Not 3yr/50M, but its relative because he's not as good.  Or he walks and you're back to square one after spending season on a rental. Basically the Ereck Flowers situation where nice story, guy overperforms, and we're back to needing a replacement.

The age difference is really the only part I would object to.  The Eagles can get out of the contract after 2021 if it isnt working out.  If Slay's as good as he's supposed to be, the picks would be worth it.  The picks they traded were excess.  They traded a 3rd and 5th and still have a 3rd and 5th left and more picks than us right now.  We wouldnt have the luxury of doing that.  You're ok with committment when you believe the guy is good.  

First, the point was that the original post was trying to make state the the eagles fans were "rejoicing" becasue they were getting Slay for only $300,000 more a year. While technically true for this coming season alone, that was and is a gross misrepresentation of the cost for all the reasons I stated.  

Also, there are no guarantees Slay will be that much better. Sure he has played better the last few years, but Darby is capable of playing at a high level and high priced FAs rarely work out that well as it seems once they get paid they shut down a bit. Fair enough you have to pay Darby if he balls out but at least we have the choice. Right now the eagles have to pay Slay for 2021 ($26M in gaurantees) no matter how he plays and would have $6.5M in dead cap if they release him after 2021. 

As far as their picks being "excess" that is rationalization. Picks are picks. There is no such thing as "excess" picks. They have those because they used some of the resources to get them. So it's a loss of a 3rd and 5th rd pick, period. Trying to minimize it is not a reasonable argument at all. 

Again, the comment I was responding to was trying to make the point that they upgraded the position for $300,000 ONLY and that eagles fans should be rejoicing some great coup. That is a gross misrepresentation of the cost. While it may in the end pay off, the cost was indeed considerably more in terms of drafts picks and cost. 

Interesting aside about this year's FA signings. 1-year prove it deals. Ronald Darby + Sean Davis ... then you factor in Moreau and Rueben Foster being a FAs after this season. If any of these guys have good seasons they could earn pretty decent contracts next off-season and ... at that point, we're staring at comp picks (multiple). Unfortunately, I also think we'll end up having a ton of cap space next year and an urgency to spend some of it.

If that count is correct and we have $31 million in cap space ... and we trade Trent for a pick or two and get to $43 million. I could see us spending down about another $20 million ... $6m in cap hits for our draft picks ... $6m for in-season spending ... and another $7-8 million in FA acquisitions.

That would still roll over approx. $20-25 million into 2021's cap ... which could be $240m ... which would make our cap $260m ... and I think even with the recent signings, we'd be in some really juicy cap heaven once we cut Alex Smith (and well before then, TBH).

I'll run the calculations later today.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We technically still have a very good one.

Not saying we won't add Jason Peters on a one-year deal to stopgap LT, but the comments from guys like Finlay and Keim make me think we are okay going into the draft with what we have ....

Assuming we trade Trent and use a pick in the first 4 rounds on an OT, we would have a plethora of "average with upside" LT options.

Let's assume Isaiah Wilson falls to 66 and we take him. Extremely raw. R-So but huge upside. Started at RT for Georgia but only because Andrew Thomas was at LT. Wilson + Lucas + Christian are probably fine to compete at LT. Not ideal. Far from elite. But based on how the team is approaching the FA cycle ... rolling into 2020 with a trio competing at LT like that (Lucas + Christian + Rookie) ... is probably more likely than any scenario that includes Jason Peters.

UNLESS of course, Peters remains a FA through the draft ... we can't land an OT as a BPA pick ... and go looking for OT via either trade or post-draft scrap heap to aid the competetion.

Sounds like the team still considers Christian an option. Which ... well that's certainly not ideal. But Christian was a raw OT prospect out of Louisville and I always felt he'd need 2-3 years to be startable. BUT, he didn't show anything last year to make me think he was on his way to a Year 3 breakout.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim seems to have nailed what Rivera would do in FA before it happens.  He said they'd go for the kill for a great player they want in FA.  Heck according to him they wanted Cooper so bad they offered him 23 million a year.  But they won't overpay for medium level type players they don't love.

If they want a steak bad and it costs a lot, they will throw money old school Dan style at that player.  But otherwise they won't Bruce Allen style pay $18 for hamburgers that are worth $9. 

Off topic but do you have a list or know how to find one that shows the free agents still available and where they were born that I/we can reference.  Just seems like that might be useful since a lot of these players are from the DMV (District, Maryland and Virginia).  Thanks in advance, SIP.   :)

3 hours ago, dswerdlw said:

So, starting left tackle looks to be the last position that we might address in free agency. Jason Peters, Donald Penn, Kelvin Beachum

I forgot about Beachum. I would prefer him over the other 2 simply because of age. 

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Off topic but do you have a list or know how to find one that shows the free agents still available and where they were born that I/we can reference.  Just seems like that might be useful since a lot of these players are from the DMV (District, Maryland and Virginia).  Thanks in advance, SIP.   :)

Don't know if one charts where they come from but plenty of sites track who they believe are the best left, like this link

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_20_best_remaining_nfl_free_agents/s1__31657589#slide_7

4 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Sounds like the team still considers Christian an option. Which ... well that's certainly not ideal. But Christian was a raw OT prospect out of Louisville and I always felt he'd need 2-3 years to be startable. BUT, he didn't show anything last year to make me think he was on his way to a Year 3 breakout.

If we go into the season with Christian as the starting left tackle ... RIP Dwayne Haskins. He was better last season than what he showed as a rookie but that was a low low bar.

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know if one charts where they come from but plenty of sites track who they believe are the best left, like this link

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_20_best_remaining_nfl_free_agents/s1__31657589#slide_7  

10. Ronald Darby, Cornerback

We should definitely go after that Darby dude, while he's still available.

Trust me, it would be the wisest move right now.

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2020 at 8:24 AM, Riggo#44 said:

Read this quote and tell me how you dont want Adam Trautman:

“I’m always going to get after people and play my heart out,” he added. “You’ll see that this week. Every drill, every snap, every rep that I take, there’s a certain type of intensity that I do everything with. Obviously, everyone here is talented. You have to find those things that do give you that edge, and mine is being relentless and competitive.

“I’d rather put a dude on his back against his will than score a touchdown. Honestly. 100 percent. I think that’s the best feeling as a tight end,” he continued. “I’m here to put on a show and get rid of that asterisk next to my name.”

Don't care about quotes. I like Trautman the player, just wish he was faster, 40 times are definitely linked to future success with TE's, the more athletic the better, which is why he's so odd, really odd to figure how a guy could score so ridiculously well in terms of agility (95th percentile), and yet run a 4.80. Makes me wonder if he just didn't have the opportunity to train up for the 40, get the whole "starting blocks explosion" piece handled well. I wonder if he's faster than that and just tested like garbage. He's definitely interesting, I suspect he gets picked before our 3rd just because of how god awful the TE class is, and how everyone rightly sees having legit pass catching options at TE as a Konami code for offensive success these days. 

But yeah, I'm glad he doesn't come across as a moron, or a selfish lazy idiot in the interview, that would suck, but I've seen a bazillion "say the right things" interviews of players who went on to suck and become totally anonymous players at the next level, so while it's not a knock, I don't view it as indicative of anything going forward other than him understanding why it's important to come across well in interviews. 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 3:59 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

This is almost like signing a new, talented FA, if he can continue this healthy trend

Would be nice if he could figure out how to stir clear of controversy, bad relationships, and if he was domestically violent, that as well (the stories during his Niners days were utterly baffling, could not tell if it was a case where someone was hushed with payments, or if he was just dating psycho's, or if it was some combo, was super confusing. It's baffling how certain players seem incapable of avoiding getting into these stories, hopefully he's figured it out since he's nearly flushed his career down the toilet before it even started). Would love to see him come back healthy in body and in mind and straighten things out in terms of choices. 

• Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby