Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

1) Cousins

2) Flowers

3) Dunbar

4) A.P.

5) Nsekhe

All of those guys, at some point in their career, were totally unwanted or passed up by the entire NFL.

But we gave them all chances and either revived or created their solid careers.

But only 1 of the 5 was grateful enough to return to the Redskins.

Just seems odd that we create/redeem players who end up ungrateful and unloyal to us.

Well Bruce sent the message early and often that he didn't want Cousins so that's on us (Redskins).  And come on both Flowers and Nsheke were paid substantially more than the Redskins were offering I would call neither of them unloyal or ungrateful.  Only Dunbar acted like an ass when he left here. Plus was there a ****tier run team in the league (or in any sport) prior to this year? - frankly I can't think of a team less deserving of loyalty than the Redskins over the past 10 years. 

5 hours ago, carex said:

I found a post on reddit that clarified that insurance money coming from a player's injury does count as a refund from the players so when Smith is gone that does bring us some money back

yeah that 12mil is coming back as cap space. Smith will be off the roster this year in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

1) Cousins

2) Flowers

3) Dunbar

4) A.P.

5) Nsekhe

All of those guys, at some point in their career, were totally unwanted or passed up by the entire NFL.

Just seems odd that we create/redeem players who end up ungrateful and unloyal to us.

Not sure what makes Cousins "unwanted". He was a fourth round pick who developed into a pretty good player. He's as "unwanted" as Jamison Crowder (another 4th round pick that developed). Or Dak Prescott (a 4th round pick that developed and is a QB and was also franchise tagged like Cousins).

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

Agree. But Trent hasn’t played in a year+.

Yep. Trent's value clearly has gone down in the eyes of the league after the season.   Even the most pessimistic reporters about their trade offers last year said they know they got at least a 2nd round pick offer.  Now indications are they haven't even gotten a 4th rounder in offers, yet.

He hasn't played in a year plus.  He just has now one year left in his contract.  And there are so many other fish in the sea in an insanely good draft at LT.  And 90% of the people on the Trent thread last year saw this coming a mile away. 🤔  Bruce handled the Kirk contract and potentially trade value like a buffoon but the Trent situation arguably is his infamous masterpiece. 

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

yeah that 12mil is coming back as cap space. Smith will be off the roster this year in my opinion. 

I'm looking at Over the Cap and even with the insurance money it doesn't really help us to let him go before the 2021 season even with the insurance money

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Personally, I think he is getting horrendous advice.  His best chance to get paid big now is to just show up and play well for the 'Skins under his current contract and hit FA next year.  Because I seriously doubt anybody is going to give up anything significant for Trent given the unknowns, and I doubt he gets the contract he wants.

Yeah right now it seems a lose lose for both sides.

Trent is unlikely going to get his sky high salary he wants because I gather teams want to see the dude can stay healthy and come off playing well from his hiatus.

And for the Redskins, Trent's value has been degraded because of the same reasons, salary demands coupled with just one year left on his contract and a draft that's loaded at the position. 

Best case scenario for both sides is likely for Trent to come back and kill it and then perhaps they can trade him for higher value than they could now and likely to a contender to boot.  

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep. Trent's value clearly has gone down in the eyes of the league after the season.   Even the most pessimistic reporters about their trade offers last year said they know they got at least a 2nd round pick offer.  Now indications are they haven't even gotten a 4th rounder in offers, yet.

He hasn't played in a year plus.  He just has now one year left in his contract.  And there are so many other fish in the sea in an insanely good draft at LT.  And 90% of the people on the Trent thread last year saw this coming a mile away. 🤔  Bruce handled the Kirk contract and potentially trade value like a buffoon but the Trent situation arguably is his infamous masterpiece. 

This can not be overstated. Bruce's handling of both of these players should be enough to keep him from ever working in the NFL again. How do you let a starting level NFL QB leave with only a comp 3rd rd pick as compensation and then fail to move a very hot commodity out of some kind of pissing contest? Pure incompetence. 

7 minutes ago, carex said:

I'm looking at Over the Cap and even with the insurance money it doesn't really help us to let him go before the 2021 season even with the insurance money

Just negates the additional dead cap, agree. Makes a difference in 2021 if he’s allocated as a post 1st June cut thought, albeit a false position of pushing 50% out to next year.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/30/wild-card-weekend-tripleheaders-draft-prospects?utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com&xid=socialflow_twitter_si&utm_medium=social

With the potential for a truncated run-up to the 2020 season, every little bit of institutional knowledge that a player has going into a new place should help. One example? Washington’s move to sign Ronald Darby, to fill the hole left by traded veteran Quinton Dunbar. No, Darby’s never played a game in Ron Rivera’s defense. But he spent most of the 2017 offseason learning Sean McDermott’s defense, before being dealt to Philly that August. And McDermott, of course, was a top Rivera lieutenant for six years in Carolina.

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah right now it seems a lose lose for both sides.

Trent is unlikely going to get his sky high salary he wants because I gather teams want to see the dude can stay healthy and come off playing well from his hiatus.

And for the Redskins, Trent's value has been degraded because of the same reasons, salary demands coupled with just one year left on his contract and a draft that's loaded at the position. 

Best case scenario for both sides is likely for Trent to come back and kill it and then perhaps they can trade him for higher value than they could now and likely to a contender to boot.  

I hear ya the only thing I question is whether TW will give 100% or if the Skins will toll his 2020 contract salary.  Something I know nothing about but have heard others talk about if TW is not traded.  I just can't see him playing another game for us.  A lot of damage has been done with his agent and TW.

22 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I hear ya the only thing I question is whether TW will give 100% or if the Skins will toll his 2020 contract salary.  Something I know nothing about but have heard others talk about if TW is not traded.  I just can't see him playing another game for us.  A lot of damage has been done with his agent and TW.

If he doesn't, he's going to have a real hard time getting a big contract in 2021.

28 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think he would have to.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If he doesn't, he's going to have a real hard time getting a big contract in 2021.

For this reason.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

This can not be understated. Bruce's handling of both of these players should be enough to keep him from ever working in the NFL again. How do you let va starting lever NFL QB leave with only a comp 3rd rd pick as compensation and then fail to move a very hot commodity out of some kind of pissing contest? Pure incompetence. 

Some wonder why the Redskins have been so bad under Dan.  There are multiple reasons for it.  But one big one IMO is how we have lost trade after trade and failed to get trade value ourselves for our assets.  The fact that Dan has given up so many top 3 round picks over time is stunning in itself but the idea that they have never landed (unless I am forgetting a player) even a 3rd rounder for any of their own players, makes it unbelievably stunning.  Heck even Trent might not even break that streak, that's wild.

Look at the Eagles for example.  They've done a lot better than us record wise and check their trades over the years, they've landed a slew of top 3 round picks and including sadly from us in that mix.  It adds up over time.

It's great that we got an adult-football guy in charge of the FO for a change.  Someone who is smart and puts winning over emotion-pettiness. I don't think we can overstate what that means in the long term if Dan has the patience to ride that out.   

Have to wonder if Washington is one of the teams interested in a trade for DE Yannick Ngakoue with Jacksonville? Maybe a trade that would include TW? Yannick is a D.C. guy, and went to Maryland. Would open up that #2 spot fairly wide... 

FWIW, I am still on the Young bandwagon at #2...

10 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

1) Cousins

2) Flowers

3) Dunbar

4) A.P.

5) Nsekhe

Teams show no loyalty to players.  There is no loyalty in professional sports, you need to understand this. 

John Clayton this morning in Washington Post article ranked all 32 teams on how he thinks they did in Free Agency.

He gave the Skins a C grade and mention that they will focus more on the draft.  Also said Rivera has to figure out what to 

do with Trent Williams and how to replace Dunbar effectively.   I think a C grade is probably fair.

20 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah for the most part they added bodies to build depth and to create competition but they really haven't upgraded much at all.  Fans are overrating Fuller, he wasn't that good in KC and Fuller and Davis were really the only big acquisitions. 

seems like you're underrating him, I've heard he was a key player on the defense

20 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah for the most part they added bodies to build depth and to create competition but they really haven't upgraded much at all.  Fans are overrating Fuller, he wasn't that good in KC and Fuller and Davis were really the only big acquisitions. 

Yes you could look at a lot of the new players as building depth but just about everyone except for Thomas Davis is fairly young. Hopefully you coach them up and a few guys turn into studs. Don’t underestimate what coaching and scheme means to a players development. 

Look at a guy like Patrick Chung. He went from NE to Philly, played awful, and got released. NE resigns him and he becomes an integral part of that defense. Of course he’s probably going to jail for the drug issue. Lol. But he’s just one example of many. This is where I’m hopeful that Ron and especially Jack can turn these guys around. 

Archived