Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

The Sean Davis deal originally came out at 1yr/5mil which in the end is actually a deal with a 3.5mil cap hit this year.

I would expect the Darby deal to be similar.

Thats said, that will drop our cap space to 25mil. It soon drains away. Got to do something with that Kerrigan deal and the Scherff/Trent situations.

I think the last hole left is LT. Whether it is Peters or Penn, the cap hit should be < 10M. 

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

WF giving Skins an A because they thought since he fell off the cliff last year a 1 year prove it deal was what he should get and that's what we gave him.  Darby will compete with Moreau for an OCB position and Fuller will play the other with Moreland playing the slot. 

I disagree. You've got to let Fuller man the slot, where he is elite, and move him around as a chess piece as necessary. Jimmy backs him up there and plays ST. I don't think you can put Jimmy on the outside given his height and < 30" arms

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Not sure I like the signing of Davis.

Yea, I know all the factors of being a great mentor, knowing Rivera's system.

But apparently we are i rebuilding mode.

Keeping around an older guy who might last just one year, could cost a roster spot for a younger guy with potential, who could later develop into a solid player when we're done rebuilding. Instead, that younger player ends up somewhere else.

If we're on the verge of a Super Bowl, I could understand the logic, but we're not.

There are clearly two sides to this point and I don't think you're wrong to think this way....but having a vet like Davis is gonna make the guys who do make the team better players. Keeping Davis and making the entire defense work like professionals while learning a system that he knows seems to me to be worth the cost of a guy who has potential. That guy can go to the practice squad and still be part of the program. Davis will be like a coach on the field...invaluable experience. 

The Darby signing is typical of the signings we've made over the last several years but I don't hate it because he's still fairly young and the talent seems to be there.

He either stays healthy or he doesn't, the odds are probably against him/us but its 1 year @ $4M and then he's off the books.

15 minutes ago, method man said:

I think the last hole left is LT. Whether it is Peters or Penn, the cap hit should be < 10M. 

Yep, should all but offset the space created by moving a Trent on. Think we get 12.5mil in space with him off the books, expect Peters in a one year deal to take up at least 80% of that. 

From a cap perspective we likely gain a couple of mil.

32 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

It soon drains away. Got to do something with that Kerrigan deal and the Scherff/Trent situations.

What do we need cap space for?  Take out the rookie pool and we still have plenty of money, is there anyone out there who fits the profile our FO is targeting who would want anything close to that?

It seems like we're content getting average players with upside (young or young with a previous injury history) as placeholders until Ron and friends gain some familiarity with the roster.

We can make so many moves very quickly that can clear cap space if we were in dire need.

51 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

He's definitely declining but "awful ever since"?  Is that something you read on the Eagles board?

PFF Grades

2019 - 45.9

2018 - 70.6

2017 - 79.9

2016 - 68.3

2015 - 76.6

I love PFF but i always combine it with the eye test and he’s always getting his **** burned whenever I watch them. 

Hopefully he gets better 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Agree on Foster. 100%. Best linebacker on the roster but also can’t be relied on. 

Can KPL play MIKE? If so that’s something I didn’t think about. I KNOW I don’t want Bostic to be the starter there.

I’m with you on Bostic. Like him as a backup at a couple spots. 

I think KPL could play all three spots and if he doesn’t start I’d like to see him as the primary backup at all three. 

SAM:  Holcomb/KPL/Bostic

MIKE:  Foster/KPL/Bostic

WILL:  Davis/KPL/JHC

That’s how I hope to see it play out assuming health and keeping 6 

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Yeah...outside of him being from PG, this is very meh. I think he was good in Buffalo but he went to Philly and I think blew his Achilles. He’s been awful ever since

Iggles are literally rejoicing 

How about cap hits for the next three years?

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I love PFF but i always combine it with the eye test and he’s always getting his **** burned whenever I watch them. 

Hopefully he gets better 

I agree with you on PFF, I use it because I'm lazy and it seems to be the GAAP of NFL analytics so it's a good benchmark.

My thoughts on PFF are if its wrong it's probably still somewhat in the ballpark, give or take.

11 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

I’m with you on Bostic. Like him as a backup at a couple spots. 

I think KPL could play all three spots and if he doesn’t start I’d like to see him as the primary backup at all three. 

SAM:  Holcomb/KPL/Bostic

MIKE:  Foster/KPL/Bostic

WILL:  Davis/KPL/JHC

That’s how I hope to see it play out assuming health and keeping 6 

How about cap hits for the next three years?

They still have a vastly superior player 

8 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I agree with you on PFF, I use it because I'm lazy and it seems to be the GAAP of NFL analytics so it's a good benchmark.

My thoughts on PFF are if its wrong it's probably still somewhat in the ballpark, give or take.

Yep I’ll defer to it but if there is a discrepancy between that and what I see on the field or more importantly, other analysts then I take a grain of salt 

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

You have JHC in there, but not even SDH making the team ?

Typically Master and I are on the same page.

I think he's incredibly knowledgeable. So my opinion here isn't that "Master doesn't know what he's saying!" because he absolutely does and has proven his knowledge base here many times.

He and I don't agree on JHC vs. SDH.

But ultimately... Does it matter which makes it? Both are likely going to be replacement level guys unless they make enormous strides. 

It appears the point with the majority of the signings is to maintain flexibility with the roster in the draft and next off season.

**I’m loving the direction of the roster from an athletic standpoint and Darby fits the recent model of players signed— a physical freak at his position. The defensive scheme is reported to be one that is simplified and provides athletes to get after it. 

Breeland is a 4.6 guy and overall average athleticism and Darby is a 4.4 guy and elite athleticism. This appears to be a theme with this current regime. 

I don't think Darby had an achilles injury, he got a dislocated ankle in his first game as an Eagle and also had a torn acl a year later. Hopefully he's healthy and ready to revert back to the form he showed in Buffalo where he finished second in the AP defensive rookie of the year voting. And was PFFs defensive rookie of the year. 

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pffs-defensive-rookie-of-the-year-ronald-darby

WINNER

Ronald Darby, CB, Buffalo Bills

Darby wasn't the most heralded cornerback from this draft class heading into the season, and with another rookie leading the league in interceptions and pass breakups, it's fair to say that he isn't really getting the credit he deserves at the end of the year. In all honesty, we didn't see a better performance by a rookie all year, though. Darby stepped right in and started from day one, instantly becoming Buffalo’s best cover corner.

He allowed just four touchdowns all season, all of which came in a two-game span against the Kansas City Chiefs and Houston Texans. Darby allowed just 660 receiving yards throughout the year, he was tied for fifth amongst cornerbacks with 13 pass breakups, and finished the year with the ninth-highest coverage grade for corners. There is still plenty of room for Darby to grow, with just two interceptions over the course of the year, and a reception of 20 yards or more allowed in six games in 2015. Nevertheless, it was an impressive rookie campaign that has Bills fans eager for the future, and rightfully so.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000558108/article/rookie-of-the-year-watch-ronald-darby-a-shutdown-cb%3fnetworkId=4595&amp;site=.news&amp;zone=story&amp;zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&amp;zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&amp;env&amp;pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Daround-the-league%3bteam%3Dten%3bteam%3Dbuf%3bteam%3Doak%3bteam%3Dind%3bteam%3Dphi%3bteam%3Dsea%3bconf%3Dafc%3bconf%3Dnfc%3bdvsn%3Dacs%3bdvsn%3Dace%3bdvsn%3Dacw%3bdvsn%3Dnce%3bdvsn%3Dncw%3bplyr%3Dmarshawn_lynch%3bplyr%3Ddarrelle_revis%3bplyr%3Ddrew_brees&amp;p.ct=Around%2bthe%2bNFL&amp;p.adsm=true&amp;p.tcm=%23fff&amp;p.bgc1m=%230964bf&amp;p.bgc2m=%23053a74&amp;sr=amp

When Rex Ryan's coaching staff took over in Buffalo last winter, they immediately sung the praises of Stephon Gilmore as a shutdown cornerback.

What they couldn't have expected was second-round pick Ronald Darby joining Gilmore as the league's best young cornerback tandem.

After taking home Defensive Rookie of the Month honors in September, Darby frustrated Odell Beckham in Week 4, preventing one of the league's most dynamic players from gaining separation.

"After I saw him that first practice, the way he moved around, I was like, 'Woah, he's a little bit better than what I saw on film,'" defensive backs coach Tim McDonald said this week, via Syracuse.com. "His change of direction, with how quick he is, is pretty unique. Combine that with his willingness to learn and work his ass off, he's been pretty impressive to me. ... He's been better than advertised."

Gilmore and Darby are so quick and so physical that it seemed every Marcus Mariota throw was contested last week.

Through five weeks, Darby and Gilmore rank second and third in Pro Football Focus' cornerback ratings, trailing only Carolina's Josh Norman.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ronald-darby?id=2552689

Former high school track star with "world-class speed." Can change directions suddenly with few false steps. Has requisite body control to handle the strain of press-man coverage. Easy swivel to his hips with ability to open, run and hit top speed quickly. Plays with instincts and awareness. Ready to come off his man to overlap and contest a catch or make a tackle. Digests combo routes and helps teammates lineup before snap. Recognizes route development and makes early break on throws. Ball-tracker with excellent timing to high-point and disrupt the catch. Lack of on-ball production tied to quarterbacks avoiding him. Technically proficient with hand usage in press and maintains feel for receiver. Constricts throwing windows in zone coverage. Steps downhill and attacks against the run.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28968092/source-redskins-get-former-eagles-corner-ronald-darby?platform=amp

Darby, who turned 26 in January, was arguably the Eagles' most gifted cornerback during his three years in Philadelphia, which included a Super Bowl run in 2017, but injuries kept him from being a consistent force.

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

It was a trade. You guys just keep bringing up the rest of the contract and I’m saying that is irrelevant since he’s a much better player. Iggles fans have a right to be excited. 

if the Redskins wanted to spend around 4 mil on a 1 year deal vs the extra money it is relevant, because it's being presented as a better deal

https://amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001107787/article/five-team-fits-for-cam-newton-kyle-allen-to-win-redskins-job?networkId=4595&amp;site=.news&amp;zone=story&amp;zoneUrl=url%3Dstory&amp;zoneKeys=s1%3Dstory&amp;env=&amp;pageKeyValues=prtnr%3Dscouts-notebook&amp;p.ct=Scout's+Notebook&amp;p.adsm=true&amp;p.tcm=%23666&amp;p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&amp;sr=amp

REDSKINS QB COMPETITION: Don't sleep on Kyle Allen's chances

Do not be surprised if Kyle Allen runs out of the tunnel as the Washington Redskins' QB1 when the team takes the field this fall.

I know Ron Rivera said this week that 2019 first-round pick Dwayne Haskins is his starter even after acquiring Allen for a fifth-round pick, but he also made it clear that there would be competition for the top job. And don't underestimate the significance of Rivera reuniting with a young quarterback who made 11 starts under his direction over the past two seasons. The Allen deal also matches offensive coordinator Scott Turner with a quarterback he developed from undrafted free agent to starter from 2018 to 2019.

Think about that: A former quarterback coach is promoted to offensive coordinator in his new job and is reunited with one of his protégés as he begins the process of trying to turn around an offense. Given the importance placed on trust and communication between quarterback and play-caller, the connection between Turner and Allen is important, particularly in the midst of a chaotic period in which teams' offseason programs have been delayed indefinitely due to the coronavirus pandemic.

That's why I wouldn't dismiss Allen's chances of emerging as the Redskins' QB1 at the end of training camp. Allen's knowledge of the offense should help him play faster than the incumbent at the position out of the gate.

While some fans will scoff at the notion of a former college journeyman and undrafted quarterback wrestling the job away from a first-round pick with a collegiate resume that included arguably the best season of quarterback play in Big Ten history, Allen is a former five-star recruit with a big arm and a high football IQ. Those traits helped him climb the ranks from a lowly practice squad member to backup quarterback to fill-in starter in two seasons.

"He's had some success. He's good in the locker room. He understands what I'm looking for. He understands what Scotty [Turner] is looking for," Rivera said, via The Team 980, Redskins Radio. "So, hopefully we can take that and use it to our advantage with our new team."

Allen started the Panthers' 2018 regular-season finale and parlayed that opportunity into 12 starts in 2019 with Cam Newton sidelined due to injury. To his credit, Allen won his first five career starts while exhibiting the poise, patience and leadership expected from a starter. He took care of the football and made the plays that were needed while the coaching staff kept him on a manageable pitch count (averaged 29.8 pass attempts over that span).

From a scouting perspective, Allen's efficiency in the quick-rhythm passing game was impressive, particularly when he tossed quicks (slants, seams and arrow routes) and intermediate rhythm throws (digs and square outs) from the shotgun. The young quarterback also displayed outstanding awareness and discipline by frequently targeting the running backs on checkdowns when his primary options were covered.

When Allen stuck to the script and didn't attempt to play hero ball, he moved the offense up and down the field without issues. With the defense playing well and special teams also assisting in the effort, the Panthers were able to win games with Allen managing the offense.

From a critical standpoint, Allen appeared to fall apart around midseason, as he went 1-7 in his final eight starts. He was unable to compensate for a shortage of weapons on the perimeter, a suspect offensive and a struggling defense that forced the Panthers to chase points on offense. The second-year pro played outside of his talents and the turnovers started to plague him, as evidenced by his 19 turnovers over his final nine games.

That said, Allen remained the team's starter when Turner assumed offensive coordinator duties after Rivera was fired near the end of last season (at least for a couple weeks, before the franchise gave rookie Will Grier a shot). The Redskins' new play-caller had Allen throw 40-plus times in each of the three games he played in down the stretch, with the young quarterback completing 63.4 percent of his throws while averaging 288.3 pass yards per game. Although the 2:6 touchdown-to-interception ratio was far from ideal, the number of attempts speaks to the trust between play-caller and passer.

"At the end of the day, nobody knows what's going to happen, so we just have to get ourselves ready," Rivera said during the radio interview. "We really like what we have in terms of our young quarterbacks. Kyle is also a young guy who has a live arm, understands the game, understands how we do things. So, I'm excited about what the potential could be."

With Rivera certain to give Turner significant input on the quarterback situation, Haskins should be on alert that he is entering training camp engaged in a real quarterback competition and he will need to play well to hold onto the job.

Archived