Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

7 hours ago, crabbypatty said:

That's what kills me about the Redskins/cowgirls comparisons.

Talent wise I believe we are about equal to them. They're stronger in some areas, and we are in others.. but I think it mostly evens out. It's the coaching that killed us. We got out coached every time by teams in the division over and over again. The girls, eagles and Giants made us look like a 2a team, 

When we have the talent to run with them, just not the coaching or mentality, it really drives me nuts.

We've shown we can hang with the cowgirls and eagles, we just can't sustain or adjust to a ****ing thing and it is all on the coaching staff and front office imo.

Hopefully Rivera changes that and this team lives up to their potential for once.

You think the talent level is equal? Seriously? 

in the last 3 years, the Skins are 1-5 against Dallas. Average margin of defeat is 17 points. 

Dallas is better than us at nearly every position and most certainly at the most important ones on the field: QB, secondary, O line, WR, and probably pass rush as well solely of Lawrence. 

I didn’t realize Bruce Allen-itis ran so deeply in the fanbase still 

We’ve padded the roster out ‘well’. Still got some important needs..

Starting LT

WR to partner with Terry Mc as our 1-2 setup

Starting caliber TE

Edge Rush

LB - not sure how this group will shake up. Feel like we need another pickup.

Competition with Davis at FS

A starting caliber CB. 

That can’t be done with what’s left in FA and by sticking at #2 in the draft. Something will have to give. I think that compromise is trading back at the moment.

Players on the trade block/wanting out of their current teams we should have interest in..

FS Harris MINN

WR Samuel CAR

DE Ngakoue JAX - isn’t this player a local from the DC area? 

11 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

He preferred the money. That's it, Cleveland paid him more.

But I am with you on Zampese. Our coaching staff last year was a hodgepodge of mismatched parts.

Who knows if he's right but Keim said the Redskins heard (I gather Hooper's agent told them, usually the combine is when this stuff gets hashed out) that everything being equal, Hooper would take Cleveland's offer over the Redskins.  The Redskins got an idea of what it would take to outbid Browns and weren't willing to do it.  Keim seemed to hint they were out on Hooper before FA for that reason.  If that's so then Hooper is right and wrong.  He's right in that he genuinely preferred the Browns over the Redskins but wrong in that the offers on both sides played out. 

11 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

If we get a healthy Reuben Foster back, along with drafting Chase Young, LOOK OUT!!!!

Foster is a stud when he plays but even before overcoming this injury he was an injury prone dude, so I have pause on him even on the mend. 

14 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

They made the playoffs only two times the last decade...

they are bottom of the barrel 

Yeah I noticed some make fun of the Browns for not living up to their hype.  That's true.  But I still think they've clearly enough leapfrogged us as a better team and organization and considered a team with a better shot.  For the net result of the Browns underachieving is still the organization is more highly regarded than the Redskins that's a sea change from just a few years ago and shows how far down we've come.

22 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

At least that debunks the notion that we approached FA on the cheap. The reality is we missed out on both our primary targets at WR and TE.

Yeah that's part of the reason why I am ok with FA.  I saw the post from a fan saying Keim said they were only willing to go to 8-9 million on Hooper.  Though I haven’t listened to Keim’s last podcast.  I listen to all of his podcasts and I don't recall Keim ever being that specific maybe I missed it.  I do recall him saying they were interested in Hooper but decided to bow out once they saw where the price was going.  And specific to the Browns he said they knew they'd have to be better than just match their offer but actually beat it for him to go to DC.

While I like Rivera a lot and believe in Kyle Smith, they got some work to do to revive this organization.  They have had some low moments under Dan but I think few can argue that 2019 was the lowest. 

It's become a national story that the team is bleeding fans, Fed-ex is overrun by opponents fans and I've been to a lot of road stadiums and I've seen nothing like that anywhere else.   We got one of the worst stadiums in the league, worst facilities.  Dan is considered nationally now beyond just being a difficult brat, etc -- he's also considered a loser.   The organization was run back to back by the two most lampooned GMs in the league.  The team is the only one without a 11 plus win season in 20 years plus. 

If I recall we are the only team (maybe there is one more) who hasn't made it to a championship game in 20 plus years.  The only team without a first team ALL Pro player aside from a punter.  GMF when answering a fan's tweet about why they focus so much on certain teams but not others joked hey we can talk about the Redskins and Titans all the time but who would watch us then?   This team is a punchline.  I think things will change but Rivera's got some work to do. 

FGB

@FiftyGutBlog
· 16h
@InstantRHIplay just said on @redskinstoday_ IG Live that Reuben Foster has been sprinting, putting weight on his leg and nerves on foot are coming back. She believes the team thinks he can be back for camp. Obviously, no one knows for sure until that time comes, just FYI.

For all those that believe we have been bargain shoppers during FA, there’s some validity to that notion. I guess I look at things glass half full. Sure a lot of things need to come together but it can be done. 

On offense, we need either Guice or Love to be healthy and compliment AP. I like JD as our third down back. We need TMac to continue his progress and truly become a #1 wideout. I like Lattimer as our #2 and hope Cam Sims or Harmon step it up. Steven Sims is an underrated slot guy. We got some young guys at TE and hopefully we draft a young guy. I really like Logan Thomas. And of course we need to resolve the LT position either bringing in a rook or seeing if we have somebody who can be a stopgap. 

Our defensive line is very solid and we get to look at a lot of LBs and see who steps up. If the front seven plays well our secondary won’t be as crucial. Fuller, Moreau and Jimmy is kind of weak but maybe we bring in a vet. We could get Okudah if we trade down. Landon and Davis are fine. Davis isn’t excellent but solid. 

Yes some ifs but Haskins is the biggest one. If he shows us he’s the man we are in good position for 2021. Just my 2cents 

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

While I like Rivera a lot and believe in Kyle Smith, they got some work to do to revive this organization.  They have had some low moments under Dan but I think few can argue that 2019 was the lowest. 

I’m also generally alright with FA, the danger is I think we might come up short this offseason if we play it too safe. I do agree with the notion of not overpaying, but at some stage maybe you do add the extra 10-15% to acquire a couple of important pieces.

If we’d have truly gone over the top on Hooper say, we get him and it takes away the need via the draft. The FO stressed the critical importance of a TE in this scheme. We currently have an awful TE situation. Same at WR to a lesser extent. We have one proven player. Don’t make overpaying the rule though, do that by clear exception.

We need to get the money out, bring in a CB like Ryan, bring in another FS, say Randall, or go after Harris if we like him. Be aggressive, fill some gaps. 

There are also a couple of very highly productive DEs up for grabs.

All that would have made it/makes it more palatable to stay at #2 for Young.

As it stands, trading back to plug gaps at LT, TE, WR, DB and LB seems the only option in my opinion. Maybe that is the plan anyway.

32 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m also generally alright with FA, the danger is I think we might come up short this offseason if we play it too safe. I do agree with the notion of not overpaying, but at some stage maybe you do add the extra 10-15% to acquire a couple of important pieces.

If we’d have truly gone over the top on Hooper say, we get him and it takes away the need via the draft. The FO stressed the critical importance of a TE in this scheme. We currently have an awful TE situation. Same at WR to a lesser extent. We have one proven player. Don’t make overpaying the rule though, do that by clear exception.

We need to get the money out, bring in a CB like Ryan, bring in another FS, say Randall, or go after Harris if we like him. Be aggressive, fill some gaps. 

There are also a couple of very highly productive DEs up for grabs.

All that would have made it/makes it more palatable to stay at #2 for Young.

As it stands, trading back to plug gaps at LT, TE, WR, DB and LB seems the only option in my opinion. Maybe that is the plan anyway.

To what ends do we expect to achieve by filling all these holes THIS year? Are we making a push for the Super Bowl? I understand that many would like to see some key pieces added via free agency but why would we want them to sign people just for the sake of filling holes (that's what she said) and possibly create future cap nightmares?

I, personally, don't expect everything to be solved year 1. All I want is competitive play and signs of a team coming together under a stable foundation.

What kind of statement is " Reuben foster has been sprinting and putting weight on his leg"?

One sounds encouraging for a professional athlete the other sounds like he's learning to walk again, don't see how these two statements belong in the same sentence. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley in the Keim interview also said Hooper is a C- in the run game, questioned his ability to get separation in man and said he thought Skins couldn't justify the money over 5 years with all the other Dline guys who will be coming up for contracts in a couple years.  However, he would have paid Hunter Henry big time if he hadn't been franchised.

Good listen

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Wonder who Cooley likes in the draft this year at TE.  Anyone know?

He didn't talk any TE draft only that he'd take Chase Young without question.  Referred to Bosa in the SB last year and Von Miller a few years ago.  Elite guys that makes your whole D better.

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Wonder who Cooley likes in the draft this year at TE.  Anyone know?

From what I can tell he's been surprisingly lazy as to evaluating TEs and players for the draft in general.  He typically goes to town to a degree.  The only player he seemed to hype was Woerner from Georgia at TE.  He knows him personally and likes him.  He keeps saying he's going in the 2nd-3rd while every other draft geek is saying he's a 6th rounder at best, most saying a 7th round or UDFA.

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

He didn't talk any TE draft only that he'd take Chase Young without question.  Referred to Bosa in the SB last year and Von Miller a few years ago.  Elite guys that makes your whole D better.

In a different podcast months back, Cooley said the player that makes the most impact per play besides Lamar Jackson would be Chase Young. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I agree in theory.  But the one thing I like about their style versus Bruce Allen's is this.  Allen would IMO typically overpay for players, it wouldn't be the top end guys though.  Allen would forgo paying $60 for a a steak that's really worth $45.  But he would then often pay $15 for a hamburger which was really worth $9 and he'd buy 3 burgers.

Rivera's approach to me has been to buy a bunch of guys and get them at real value without hurting the cap much where right now on their present course they can actually carry a bunch of the cap room to go for the kill in 2021.

IMO Bruce's supposed strength was not overpaying FAs.  I don't really think that's true.  He just overpaid for junk and accumulated junk.  Sheehan liked to say Bruce's niche was buying mediocre players on bargains.  I think he's partially right -- it was mediocre players mostly but he often did not get them at a bargain.  Rivera is really paying peanuts for most of these players and if they don't work out, they are gone with little cap damage at all.

Agree.  But I am a guy who likes this TE class more than most so it doesn't bother me that much about Hooper.  I genuinely think our starting TE is coming from this draft. 

I agree with the idea of minimizing draft needs via FA though.  But if they are carrying over cap room in 2021 and the idea is that's when they will be really good, go for it hard then, I get the mindset.  Ditto lets lock in our young guys over the long haul.  I was ok to an extent to their recent approach of accumulating compensation picks.  But I think it was getting a bit out of hand to essentially let so many guys go. 

I forgot what former GM said it but one said you don't want the players you draft to have the feeling that there is a little chance they return once their contract is up because it doesn't foster loyalty.  I think you need a balance with it.  So I'd want Allen, Payne, Sweat and some of the younger core to stick around versus letting them all go when their contracts are up. 

Agree.

I doubt they plan to trade back if the beat guys guesses are right.  Where I am coming from is its not 2020 or bust, I am fine with there being gaps in the roster.   If this is a go for it season, then a hole at this spot or that spot can kill you.  But if its a 6-10 season versus 8-8 season if we fill every hole, then it really doesn't matter to me much. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Allen would IMO typically overpay for players, it wouldn't be the top end guys though.  Allen would forgo paying $60 for a a steak that's really worth $45.  But he would then often pay $15 for a hamburger which was really worth $9 and he'd buy 3 burgers.

He would then talk up those burgers as $75/lb. Wagyu steak. Paul Richardson and Shaun Lavauo immediately come to mind. I actually like what we've done--no one breaks the bank, I think everyone we've signed can play multiple positions, lots of competition. I particularly like Logan Thomas and McKissic. No real reason, just a hunch, but I love what I've seen from Thomas.

Redskins TE room:

Richard Rodgers, Caleb Wilson, Hentges, Sprinkler, Thomas, Marcus Baugh......

So it looks like we're gonna throw these 6 dudes at the wall and see which 3 stick? Can't say that any of them are here with a real plan except to compete for a spot other than possibly Thomas who could serve as a third string QB too?

11 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

He would then talk up those burgers as $75/lb. Wagyu steak. Paul Richardson and Shaun Lavauo immediately come to mind. I actually like what we've done--no one breaks the bank, I think everyone we've signed can play multiple positions, lots of competition. I particularly like Logan Thomas and McKissic. No real reason, just a hunch, but I love what I've seen from Thomas.

At the moment we are poised to carry a lot of cap room to 2021 and we can easily discard what we got in 2021 with really no cap hit on those players sans Fuller.  Yeah the Culliver, Richardson, Lavauo, Josh Morgan, Pea, Andre Roberts, McGee, McClain, etc did eat at the cap room.   The McClain contract was 4 years 21 million, McGee, 5 years 25 million, I don't recall how much guaranteed money were in both deals but I'd presume at least 2 years worth.  Jay actually said it well infamously years back explaining yeah no Calais Campbell but we got two for the price of that one with change to spare.  That to me encapsulated Bruce in FA.    Bruce would often spend close enough up to the cap, he just preferred to collect multiple players, often Jags, then paying for the one big one.  Most of the time at least.

I see some especially on twitter are saying Rivera is modeling a Bruce FA.  I don't think this is that at all.   He shot hard for a player he thought was a stud.  And he's unwilling to overpay for players he doesn't think are great.   I am cool with it. 

11 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

He would then talk up those burgers as $75/lb. Wagyu steak.

Yeah I go back to his comments in a Finlay interview when he was asked about losing Garcon and D. Jax in FA then he gave a smug smile and said yeah but we got most of that production right back with the Brian Quick, Terrell Pryor signings. 

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From what I can tell he's been surprisingly lazy as to evaluating TEs and players for the draft in general.  He typically goes to town to a degree.  The only player he seemed to hype was Woerner from Georgia at TE.  He knows him personally and likes him.  He keeps saying he's going in the 2nd-3rd while every other draft geek is saying he's a 6th rounder at best, most saying a 7th round or UDFA.

Kind of strange from Cooley since he played TE.  I really don't put too much relevance into Cooley other than his opinion on TE/HB since he played the position and agree seems as though he's been lazy on this front and to favor a Georgia alum is well you can fill in the blank.  :)  

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Kind of strange from Cooley since he played TE.  I really don't put too much relevance into Cooley other than his opinion on TE/HB since he played the position and agree seems as though he's been lazy on this front and to favor a Georgia alum is well you can fill in the blank.  :)  

He typically has gone to town on TEs upcoming in the draft among other players but not this year, I think his last podcast was from early January as to his own material.  Otherwise you get a little of him here and there on other podcasts.  I've listened to Cooley enough to know when he's actually done film work versus not and his default position so far this year seems to be not to put in the time to do it. 

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Cooley thinks Harmon could easily be our Hback

58 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

From what I can tell he's been surprisingly lazy as to evaluating TEs and players for the draft in general.  He typically goes to town to a degree.  The only player he seemed to hype was Woerner from Georgia at TE.  He knows him personally and likes him.  He keeps saying he's going in the 2nd-3rd while every other draft geek is saying he's a 6th rounder at best, most saying a 7th round

What’s interesting is wasn’t he part of the combine in some way last year?  He broke down every TE in excruciating detail.  

This year is different.

I also think without a very regular radio show to prepare for Cooley has lost a lot of motivation. 

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  But I am a guy who likes this TE class more than most so it doesn't bother me that much about Hooper.  I genuinely think our starting TE is coming from this draft

same here. I’m a Hopkins guy.

im actually/personally not that bothered we didn’t get Hooper. It’s more the principle, another 10% say, and we get him for 45-48mil assuming we were very hot on him. I think you should do it.

Archived