Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

10 hours ago, dyst said:

First it was the medical issue, then the money, now its Greg Olson? OK Trent.

Yeah, that one's pretty stupid.  Ron took over the team, and had 1000 things to do, but TW is all bent our of shape because it took a few weeks...

Yeah I definitely think COVID19 played a big part in us missing out on Cooper and Hooper. Last year the Skins were able to bring in Collins and Snyder was able to woo him over dinner. Remember he even gave Collins the signed ST jersey.

This year due to COVID all of these negotiations took place over the phone no face to face. That makes a huge difference when the player is trying to decide between two teams. 

20 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

And it shows discipline that they didn't immediately target a second tier choice just to make up for it.

I didn’t even think of that. Something that seemed to be a bad habit of various FO’s in Ashburn was overpaying the “in case of emergency” guy when missing out on their #1 choice.

16 hours ago, Master Blaster said:

Which player should the Redskins have gone after?  Did that player want to be a Redskin?  If so, what was the asking price?

I'm really disappointed the team just missed out on landing Hooper. I wouldn't have minded even having to overpay him to secure him, given the current FA TE market and the lack of talent at TE in the draft. 

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

At least that debunks the notion that we approached FA on the cheap. The reality is we missed out on both our primary targets at WR and TE.

and thats better how?... swinging and missing is just missing at the end of the day so now we still have two huge holes on the roster... WR and TE ... on top of now LT, CB, FS. That means at least one more year of NFCE bottom dwelling.  

3 minutes ago, oraphus said:

and thats better how?... swinging and missing is just missing at the end of the day so now we still have two huge holes on the roster... WR and TE ... on top of now LT, CB, FS. That means at least one more year of NFCE bottom dwelling.  

TE and LT are definitely holes, but I'd disagree with the other listed positions. 

32 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This can’t be 2021.  All of the cap hits escalated to 2020, I thought, and were offset by the savings. 

There’s no way we have 2021 salary for Perine on the books.  He was cut prior to the 2019 season, much to Jay’s displeasure. 

see next post on accurate data.  🙂

22 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

This can’t be 2021.  All of the cap hits escalated to 2020, I thought, and were offset by the savings. 

There’s no way we have 2021 salary for Perine on the books.  He was cut prior to the 2019 season, much to Jay’s displeasure. 

Yep, this guy posted 2020's dead cap.

1753122748_Annotation2020-03-28110958.thumb.png.f9bd15baf054e59ad882cfedfedd8f53.png

12 minutes ago, oraphus said:

He flat out said he chose Mayfield over our QB situation so until we stabilize the franchise and find our QB good luck getting skilled players in free agency.

I'm all for signing quality FAs, even if they are a bit expensive....

However, to think that players are going to view this team as an attractive destination this year is crazy? Did you guys watch the games? The team needs 1-2 years of looking solid, hungry, and competent on the field before players are willing to give the team a shot...

6 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

He flat out said he chose Mayfield over our QB situation so until we stabilize the franchise and find our QB good luck getting skilled players in free agency.

I think this is a key point - our QB situation and lack of a serviceable option is now costing us in FA.  No skilled player is going to want to come here and let their career die at the hands of Simba.  Look at what happened to Terrys stats after "Simba" took  over for the season;  I think his attitude, demeanor, and immaturity probably also play into a FAs mental calculus, I mean who can forget the comical moment he was trying to "inspire" the O-Line and they were basically laughing at him - the dude is a massive joke to anyone thats not a complete Redskins homer.  Somehow even with this new regime, Danny is still finding new and creative ways to drive the organization into the ground - I put this mess 100% on Snyder.

17 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

I think this is a key point - our QB situation and lack of a serviceable option is now costing us in FA.  No skilled player is going to want to come here and let their career die at the hands of Simba.

A lot can change in a year, I'm not writing off Haskins and my point is we have failed for 20 years and probably need to earn some respect around the league before we're going to win in these free agency negotiations with better players.

I wasn't trying to take a shot at Haskins but he still has a lot to prove before offensive players are going to look at our situation and get excited.

41 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

A lot can change in a year, I'm not writing off Haskins and my point is we have failed for 20 years and probably need to earn some respect around the league before we're going to win in these free agency negotiations with better players.

I wasn't trying to take a shot at Haskins but he still has a lot to prove before offensive players are going to look at our situation and get excited.

Haskins vs Mayfield; easy choice.  Until the Skins QB demonstrates he can win games for us; we aren’t getting the top skilled players. Those needs will have to be filled with lower tier free agents and the draft.  Also, we aren’t filling all our needs in one year.

Hooper specifically said a big part was the QB. And that is not me trying to discredit Haskins, just relaying what Hooper said. He was drawn to Mayfield.

He didn’t get an absurd contract so I don’t believe money was much of a factor at all.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Hooper specifically said a big part was the QB. And that is not me trying to discredit Haskins, just relaying what Hooper said. He was drawn to Mayfield.

He didn’t get an absurd contract so I don’t believe money was much of a factor at all.

Maybe so.  But when is the last time you heard a recently signed FA say they chose your team because the money was higher?  If it was really all about the QB, he would have chosen Green Bay over Cleveland.  They were also reported to have pursued him.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

He may live to regret that decision, at least on the field. Mayfield sucks. However, it's pretty telling when players are picking going to Cleveland over the nations capitol. Cleveland of all places. Ron has some work to do....I have a feeling getting Chase Young will help big time. 

3 hours ago, Boy1der06 said:

Yeah I definitely think COVID19 played a big part in us missing out on Cooper and Hooper. Last year the Skins were able to bring in Collins and Snyder was able to woo him over dinner. Remember he even gave Collins the signed ST jersey.

This year due to COVID all of these negotiations took place over the phone no face to face. That makes a huge difference when the player is trying to decide between two teams. 

Honestly think this is a bigger factor than the perceived “Haskins Issue”.

Firing up “Redskins One” to jet to our prospects in, dinner at Morton’s etc. was always our M.O. and aside from the obvious dollars this was a huge. 

Archived