Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome the Redskins Jack Del Rio---And defensive philosophy

clskinsfan

I for one don’t want to see us draft Young. First he did absolutely nothing in the game against Clemson. Virtual non-existent. Second if we move to a 4-3 we have so many other needs than DE. I rather have Youngs teammate at corner Okudah who is big and physical and maybe the best corner in the country. 

Im all for rotating guys along the line but you need to start Allen, Matt and Deron along with Sweat. Settle Brantley can be our backups with some young guys to play end. Allen may not be suited at end but he too small to play the one or two technique in a 4-3. Kerrigan is a cap casualty unfortunately. 

I’m sure seeing our potential talent in our front seven was one of the reasons Jack took the job. Finally can we get a whole new training and medical staff! One or two years of heavy injuries is one thing but it’s a constant issue. 

1 minute ago, skinsfan93 said:

I for one don’t want to see us draft Young. First he did absolutely nothing in the game against Clemson. Virtual non-existent. Second if we move to a 4-3 we have so many other needs than DE. I rather have Youngs teammate at corner Okudah who is big and physical and maybe the best corner in the country. 

Im all for rotating guys along the line but you need to start Allen, Matt and Deron along with Sweat. Settle Brantley can be our backups with some young guys to play end. Allen may not be suited at end but he too small to play the one or two technique in a 4-3. Kerrigan is a cap casualty unfortunately. 

I’m sure seeing our potential talent in our front seven was one of the reasons Jack took the job. Finally can we get a whole new training and medical staff! One or two years of heavy injuries is one thing but it’s a constant issue. 

You dont pass on a generational pass rusher to draft for need. And you dont grade a player off of one game either. 

Does anyone know why he was out of coaching for two years? Was he resistant to becoming a DC and holding out to be a HC?

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

You dont pass on a generational pass rusher to draft for need. And you dont grade a player off of one game either. 

And furthermore, more and more NFL ready players are skipping meaningless bowl games. He was in playoffs contending for a Championship, sort of had to play. Maybe he wasn’t quite as motivated

12 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Guess who else had no sacks in their bowl games before coming out?

JJ Watt, Khalil Mack, Bradley Chubb, Myles Garrett. Obviously guys who shouldn't have been drafted. 

This is just a lazy argument. 

As far as the game vs Clemson did you watch it? If so did you focus on Chase? If so did you focus on how they were game planning for him? If so did you see how it affected Clemson's game? Chase still had 7 pressures in that game, despite being completely game planned for and getting doubled often. That is all the absolute polar opposite of being "non-existent".

You don't pass on an edge rusher of Chase Young's caliber if you have a chance to draft him. He's the highest graded PFF defensive player they've ever done metrics for and has a ludicrous edge positional score of 97. For reference that's 3 full points better than Nick Bosa, who was considered a can't miss prospect and who's presence even as a rookie has been instrumental in transforming the SF defense from decent to dominant. We're insanely lucky that possibly the best pass rushing prospect in the past 10 years has fallen into our lap. 

Chase has been dominant this season, and has an effect even when he doesn't get sacks. Entire offenses have to be adjusted because of him. Corner isn't nearly as valuable a position as edge rusher. There's a reason that edge rushers are second only to QBs in the contracts they get. 

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

^^ This is bizarre seeing the head coach and D-coordinator interacting with people on twitter lol...did they do this prior to joining the Redskins? Or is this a first attempt at bringing the fanbase back onboard with the team?

Or maybe, juussst maybe this is a reflection of who these guys really are, passionate about their craft, respectful of their staff and players and aware of the fans 

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

^^ This is bizarre seeing the head coach and D-coordinator interacting with people on twitter lol...did they do this prior to joining the Redskins? Or is this a first attempt at bringing the fanbase back onboard with the team?

I'm used to executives only communicating with fans about the Harvest Fest.

Something I had not considered when thinking about Del Rio was that hes going to be bringing positive media coverage with him. That, as we all know, is not a Redskins thing. And I really do believe that with better coverage, players feel a bit more swagalicious - to use a technical term. And with that comes a sense of "we can do this" verses the usual Redskins feeling of "We are a joke and even my mama knows it". That and I think it helps fans chill the hell out and that gives the team more time to make the changes they think needs to be made versus win right now or go home (Gruden was in that box) 

I could be wrong about all of that, but thats my amateur opinion observed from the outside. 

13 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

People should be careful posting like this because the misinformation is wild. 

Chase Young produced no sacks against Clemson. That is true. 

He produced 7 QB pressures in 35 rush attempts. An astronomical pass rush grade.

He played inside at defensive tackle and commanded double teams, which allowed other rushers to pressure/get home. He was a force... Just not on the stat sheet.

This is a syndrome of watching stat sheets and not games. People like to often rag on certain DTs around the league because of a lack of tackles and sacks. That's not their primary role. Their job is to eat blockers, make opposing teams' gameplan to block them, and free up others.

Sure, Aaron Donald does both. But he is truly generational. 

Chase Young freed up his teammates against Clemson and pressured Lawrence 7 times. Yes, he was beaten a few times by the OT, but in football, the offensive line wins more times than they don't. It's the nature of the beast. To put it into context, his pressure rate was 20%. That's absurd. 

Allen is a prototypical 3-technique, by the way. Payne is a perfect 1-technique. And Ioan will do great playing in both spots in spell duty (which on the DL is a constant presence in the game. Forget the term "starter" there. You see more depth players play in the defensive tackle spots than almost any other position on a team-to-team consistent basis. 

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Something I had not considered when thinking about Del Rio was that hes going to be bringing positive media coverage with him. That, as we all know, is not a Redskins thing. And I really do believe that with better coverage, players feel a bit more swagalicious - to use a technical term. And with that comes a sense of "we can do this" verses the usual Redskins feeling of "We are a joke and even my mama knows it". That and I think it helps fans chill the hell out and that gives the team more time to make the changes they think needs to be made versus win right now or go home (Gruden was in that box) 

I could be wrong about all of that, but thats my amateur opinion observed from the outside. 

Thats a good point. Jack Del Rio is well liked at ESPN and in the media in general.

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This.

I keep picturing Del Rio looking at game tape and muttering about Manusky "what a dumb ass".  

He's going to keep having to hit rewind to convince himself that he isn't hallucinating when he sees Montez Sweat dropping into coverage for half the game. 

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

I think the media will revert to their former selves. We already see Grant and Danny poo pooing the move because of things like the order of the hires. We see posters suggesting things like Haskins and KOC being forced on him. We'll hear other things. Doc was upset that we've done this before. 

I think the main thing is that we get at least a 2 month or so grace period (until I'm thinking offseason workouts, maybe FA or the draft). There will be the critical parts but not the hovering Bruce Allen over it. And that shines a light on it. 

Like most on here, I’ve pretty much totally lost faith in Nicholson and I have some trouble seeing Apke as the answer.  With that said, both of those guys have some range and if the front 7 is doing their jobs, it should be easier on our FS.  Point being, I have to wonder if improving our corner play and coaching up Nicholson/Apke would allow for... I don’t know, maybe decent play from one of those two?

I’ll add that confusion in the secondary seemed to be a big problem and it’s not something I see continuing under Del Rio (though who knows).  Easy to point to Nicholson making mistakes and believing he just doesn’t have the football acumen to be back there, but perhaps Del Rio simplifies his responsibilities a bit.  

Regardless, Nicholson has to tone down the headhunter part of his game.  Physicality is great, as is intimidation (in this context), but he’s got to play a bit smarter in this regard.  

Essentially, I wonder how much this coaching change can help our (current) free safeties.  

Funny, now that we have RR and JDR coming on, I feel a lot less about arguing who should/should not be playing on defense.  It feels like there's an adult (or two) in the room now on defense and if they think Apke or Nicholson or whomever else should be playing, I'm good with that.  It's a nice feeling for once.

3 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

We already see Grant and Danny poo pooing the move because of things like the order of the hires.

This makes me like it all the more. G&D have proven time and time again they are ****ing morons.

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Like most on here, I’ve pretty much totally lost faith in Nicholson and I have some trouble seeing Apke as the answer.  With that said, both of those guys have some range and if the front 7 is doing their jobs, it should be easier on our FS.  Point being, I have to wonder if improving our corner play and coaching up Nicholson/Apke would allow for... I don’t know, maybe decent play from one of those two?

Nicholson has been terrible--but how much of that was Manusky? It never seemed as if anyone was on the same page--ever. I'm willing to give Del Rio the benefit of the doubt--he is the best DC we've had here since Williams.

Archived