Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Is this a fact... Him not being as explosive in the last week? Has he shared this or coaches? 

I haven’t been able to see any difference. 

Nothing anyone would admit to, but it is noticeable on tape.

Also I see it impacting his long term hustle. There have been a few occasions where the rest of the D-line strongly pursue a ball carrier to get in on a gang tackle, (where it is obvious he is not needed) and Young noticeably lets up in pursuit. Nothing in his way, and he may be even closer than some of the other guys but he clearly gears down. That was not something he was doing early in the year and I believe it is to ensure his own health as he is not 100%

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

true to an extent. Remember when Lamar Marshal used to drop back into a a safety zone and Sean Taylor used to blitz in concert with a perfect dline stunt? Zone blitzes are a vicious attack that you can unleash when the team is playing in perfect rhythm . Its been a LONG time since we've had a defense that could scare offenses so much that we can start playing head games with them. 

What was the defense missing out taking pass rush opportunities away from Lamar Marshall? The opportunity cost when you're dropping Chase Young in coverage on 3/7 + is hard to meet. Doing this on third and medium to short makes more sense. 

15 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

What was the defense missing out taking pass rush opportunities away from Lamar Marshall? The opportunity cost when you're dropping Chase Young in coverage on 3/7 + is hard to meet. Doing this on third and medium to short makes more sense. 

I was just talking about zone blitz schemes in general. When you have the offense reeling and scared switching things up in a zone blitz only leads to less double teams for Chase in the future downs. I trust Del Rio for knowing how to put his ultra talented pass rushers who offenses break their balance to overload protection on into a position to succeed. He's kind of done it a few times before... 

15 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

He's the best player on our D(and maybe whole team)and his impact is undeniable, but I'd like to see him start racking up the sacks.

The sacks will come. He's still a rookie learning the pro game. It's pretty rare for a rook to start out and absolutely dominate right out the gate. Khalil Mack had only 4 sacks his rookie year, before exploding for 15+ in the following years. 

Still, the talent is obvious, and he's undoubtedly going to become an all star. 

6 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Have you seen the linebacker play this year? If the scheme wasn't like that nothing would stop the run. (holcomb is legit but he is only just started) 

Wehre did I make a judgement? I haven't said it's good or bad, I just gave a possible reason for why his sack numbers (and pass rush moves) might not necessarily be what we expected. In general I take the team success over the individual success and in that role Young has been fantastic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

The sacks will come. He's still a rookie learning the pro game. It's pretty rare for a rook to start out and absolutely dominate right out the gate. Khalil Mack had only 4 sacks his rookie year, before exploding for 15+ in the following years. 

Still, the talent is obvious, and he's undoubtedly going to become an all star. 

I don't put a lot of faith in PFF ratings, but there's a reason that he's getting such high grades. He's making the impact plays. If we did a EPA on simply the plays he's been involved in, like when he gets pressures, we can see that he's making big plays. These things are not recorded well for non-QBs but the very thing we complained about with a guy like Orakpo is what Young is delivering on. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I was just talking about zone blitz schemes in general. When you have the offense reeling and scared switching things up in a zone blitz only leads to less double teams for Chase in the future downs. I trust Del Rio for knowing how to put his ultra talented pass rushers who offenses break their balance to overload protection on into a position to succeed. He's kind of done it a few times before... 

I’m well aware of how a zone blitz works and what its purpose Is, but there’s certain situations in which dropping your best pass rusher into coverage is less likely to produce results. The example you’re looking for when it works is the safety, and the only reason that worked is Chase Young cleared the left side...by rushing the passer. 

2 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

I’m well aware of how a zone blitz works and what its purpose Is, but there’s certain situations in which dropping your best pass rusher into coverage is less likely to produce results. The example you’re looking for when it works is the safety, and the only reason that worked is Chase Young cleared the left side...by rushing the passer. 

sure 19 times out of 20,but there is nothing wrong with splitting the line and having a middle linebacker blitz up the middle sometimes also. 

15 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

sure 19 times out of 20,but there is nothing wrong with splitting the line and having a middle linebacker blitz up the middle sometimes also. 

Dude I never said there is it’s just the situation it was used in that I didn’t agree with. You want to do it when there’s a good probability you can run the pass rusher you’re dropping into coverage underneath a shorter pass to cut it off. It’s a blitz predicated on fooling the QB into getting rid of the ball early to a spot he thinks is safe. Third and 7 + the odds of the  probability you’re looking for go down

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 1:47 PM, Warhead36 said:

He's the best player on our D(and maybe whole team)and his impact is undeniable, but I'd like to see him start racking up the sacks.

I would agree and so far I am reasonably content with his contribution.  I just hope behind the scenes there is an ex-player or coach who can teach him the technical side of pass rushing.  Teach him the variety of moves that would make him elite a year or two down the line.  

I think it's time to admit that Chase hasn't been the same since the Cleveland game. He's still good against the run but he doesn't have that same pop off the edge that he had early in the season, I think the groin is still bothering him. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

Yeah if takes 2 O-lineman AND a RB to block Chase Young......Chase Young isn't the problem, it means the other members of the D-line can't even beat their 1 on 1 matchups.  I think the D-line is really missing Ionnadis.    I'm sorry to say but Allen & Payne have not been the presence in the middle that we all expected they would be.  Both of them have individual good games here and there, and I think overall Payne has had a pretty solid 2020, however, you need a D-line that can collpase the pocket or at least push it backwards because that is what causes the QB to crumble into the pursuit of the pass rushers on the outside. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Yeah if takes 2 O-lineman AND a RB to block Chase Young......Chase Young isn't the problem

It's almost like a repeat of his college championship game, where he "disappeared" in many people's minds, which caused them to think he was over-rated.

So if Young does not get many sacks or glamorous highlights, but instead occupies 2 or 3 offensive blockers frequently, I'll take that, because it means he's giving the other guys the chance to shine, which they're highly capable of.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's almost like a repeat of his college championship game, where he "disappeared" in many people's minds, which caused them to think he was over-rated.

So if Young does not get many sacks or glamorous highlights, but instead occupies 2 or 3 offensive blockers frequently, I'll take that, because it means he's giving the other guys the chance to shine, which they're highly capable of.

I paid more attention to Chase this game.  They were chipping him and then running someone in to undercut him in the same play.  He’s fighting through a lot.  Not on every play, but more than enough for a rookie to deal with.

• Like 1

Lingering groin issue?  That can't help.  Also, a lot of his game is timing and he's got to adjust to NFL timing.  To me, it's almost as if because he's so talented, football smart, etc., that he needs to adjust to the game from the other direction.  Plus no real offseason/preseason, all the hype and turmoil, etc.  Plus, we really need a middle linebacker.

If we had a better secondary, we could play more press coverage to take away quick throws. Quick throws are what teams are using to neutralize our DL. We don't have the secondary to counter that right now. Chase has been close on sacks all season but if the QB can just throw a quick curl or out every snap, he won't be getting the stats people want.

I definitely should add our LBs lack of coverage ability as well. They get torched in the middle of the field. This is the ultimate team sport.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Yeah if takes 2 O-lineman AND a RB to block Chase Young......Chase Young isn't the problem, it means the other members of the D-line can't even beat their 1 on 1 matchups.  I think the D-line is really missing Ionnadis.    I'm sorry to say but Allen & Payne have not been the presence in the middle that we all expected they would be.  Both of them have individual good games here and there, and I think overall Payne has had a pretty solid 2020, however, you need a D-line that can collpase the pocket or at least push it backwards because that is what causes the QB to crumble into the pursuit of the pass rushers on the outside. 

?????? 5 Sacks yesterday.

His mom gave him a C+.  I think she is a pretty tough grader.  Chase is going to be everything we hoped he would be if he can stay healthy.  I’m not convinced he is 100% right now and the offensive lines are still game planning to stop him.  I’m optimistic that he and Sweat will get there groove on and be dominant for years to come.

• Like 1

A lot of saw Bosa's success as a rookie, and then figured because Chase Young is an even better prospect that it meant he should automatically equal his success out of the gate.  The difference is Bosa was drafted onto a defense that was already good. (At least a pass rush that was)   When you look at a lot of the better defenses they don't have a "savior" they have a lot of good to very good players and 1-2 game changing difference makers.  You still need to have the good and very good players to go along with the 1-2 special ones.   

• Like 1