Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

On 11/11/2020 at 2:11 PM, London Kev said:

The hindsight was just in relation to Haskins.

At the time of the draft I thought that we may have been set at QB and so Young was the obvious pick, but in hindsight maybe we're not and so maybe Herbert (or Tua) would have been the better choice.

I was just responding to a casual, what-if question. I think that you may be over-analysing it.

Have you not learned by now that there is no such thing as a "casual" question in here, especially when it comes to QBs? It's called extreme skins for a reason. No room for "casual" questions or answers in here!  Either bring the pain or stay home! 

image.png.39f188e8aef5a188fb6a331b1a178182.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

People should really take a listen to the Kevin Sheehan podcast with the Cooley defensive film breakdown. I think that it may make a few people question their ability to understand what's happening on a football field.

I’m working 80 hours a week. Can you tell me what they have to say on the topic?

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’m working 80 hours a week. Can you tell me what they have to say on the topic?

Cooley was blown away by how many double and triple teams Chase had thrown his way. He was convinced the giants whole scheme was designed around neutralizing Young. Said he's never seen a rookie be schemed against the way Young is. 

said the line played well but the linebackers, bostic in particular, didn't hit their gaps at all and completely messed up the run defense. 

Said he wishes Young would shed hos blocl and make plays instead of playing so conservatively but thinks he was told to not over comit, most likely to make up for he atrocious job of the backers in run fits. He thinks even if the coaches tell him that (and payne as well) he should try to make plays because he is too good not too and a few outside runs hitting would be worth the impact plays he would make. 

Thats the gist of it. Thinks KPL amd Holcomb shine at times, said Bostic had a horrific game on Sunday and the 6-7 yard runs were almost always his fault. 

Thank goodness I can wear an ear bud in one ear at work sometimes, 80 beats my 50!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Said he wishes Young would shed hos blocl and make plays instead of playing so conservatively but thinks he was told to not over comit, most likely to make up for he atrocious job of the backers in run fits. He thinks even if the coaches tell him that (and payne as well) he should try to make plays because he is too good not too and a few outside runs hitting would be worth the impact plays he would make. 

It certainly seems within character for the WFT to instruct their most impactful player not to try to make plays. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

It certainly seems within character for the WFT to instruct their most impactful player not to try to make plays. 

I know you are kidding but I think they were telling him to play contain, and maybe its inexperience, but there were a lot of times he could have tried to make a play 

• Like 1

In no way is Chase playing bad but I was just a doubter because I thought people were over inflating his double team and triple team covered plays. I for one didn’t see that many, his PFF grade is great but take that with a grain of salt as Jacobi Meyers and Travis Fulgham are graded better than Mclaurin this season as 2nd year wideouts. Meyers has 280 yards receiving this year and no touchdowns.... Young was up against Thomas this year who has been pretty much trash so I was just expecting him to blow him up and he looked pretty contained the whole game. I think Young is going to be a star for us no doubt I just let the hype/frustration of sundays game get the best of me and I somewhat took it out on Young and all the other options of what we could have done with that second overall pick were in my head 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Leonard Washington said:

How many times did we see Orakpo and Kerrigan pass rush their way out of run defense?  The tackle walks them 9 yards up field opening a lane the size of a truck?  There is nuance there.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Chase Young is OSU hype and we fell for it.  We should have taken Tua.  We would have a brighter future.  Young got manhandled today.  I watched him closely.  And it's not like he wasn't getting double teamed.  

I don't think he was double teamed at all today. Teams don't really fear him. He was going 1 on 1 against a RIGHT Tackle, not left, and getting stonewalled.

I don't think he's a bad player or anything, but for the #2 overall pick? We got this level of play from Preston Smith who was a 2nd round pick.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think he was double teamed at all today. Teams don't really fear him. He was going 1 on 1 against a RIGHT Tackle, not left, and getting stonewalled.

I don't think he's a bad player or anything, but for the #2 overall pick? We got this level of play from Preston Smith who was a 2nd round pick.

Typo.  I meant that he was not getting double teamed.  I agree.  We could have drafted many other guys who are good for 5 sacks a year. 

4 minutes ago, Redd said:

Eh, I'm mad we lost but let's give Chase a Year or so before we give up on him.  Let him find his game at the pro level.

Nobody is suggesting we get rid of him. He's a talent sure. But the impact has been extremely underwhelming this year. Yes I know PFF rankings etc. blah blah blah, but the good ones actually finish the job and get the sack. Young hasn't made one game changing play yet until today and that was for the other team. Ryan Kerrigan in his first career game had a pick 6.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2020 at 10:17 AM, OVCChairman said:

How many times did we see Orakpo and Kerrigan pass rush their way out of run defense?  The tackle walks them 9 yards up field opening a lane the size of a truck?  There is nuance there.  

Bruce Smith was the worst about that when he was wrapping up his career here chasing the sack record.

It's like the Kerrigan/Orakpo dilemma all over again. We needed one of them to turn out to be elite, but instead both were just good.  Chase Young wasn't drafted at the #2 position to be good.  He doesn't need to be a generational talent or anything, but at least an elite pass rusher. Hell, just be as good as Bosa and it's a justified pick.  I am not giving up on his development after 1 season, just tempering my expectations going forward until I see some more. Ionnadis returning next season should help. 

Edited by NoCalMike