Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

14 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don’t even know why people are mentioning Payne as a pass rusher. He was never supposed to be that. He’s a gap closer that’s athletic enough to rush the passer from time to time.

many had the idea that in the right scheme he'd blossom as a pass rusher.  And honestly for a guy who's not supposed to be a great rusher, I think he does pretty good

5 minutes ago, carex said:

many had the idea that in the right scheme he'd blossom as a pass rusher.  And honestly for a guy who's not supposed to be a great rusher, I think he does pretty good

Many are fairly clueless about what a 1-technique’s role is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, method man said:

Per Cooley, hasn’t Payne been playing more 3 technique recently and Allen the 1 technique?

Yes, which is a mistake in my opinion. Well, I don’t know that he’s played more of it. I know there have been games they’ve role reversed.

Everyone knows Young is good and his addition has helped the team. To what extent he has matched his pre-draft status...

He is on pace for 32 tackles, 7 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. 

So, you’ll have to determine if you think he has lived up to the hype or not.

Edited by dyst

16 minutes ago, dyst said:

Everyone knows Young is good and his addition has helped the team. To what extent he has matched his pre-draft status...

My thing is that he shouldn’t have had that kind of hype anyway. Generational is a lot to put on a first year NFL pass rusher coming off a monster season from Nick Bosa, who was surrounded by not only great defensive line mates... but damn good backers and a good secondary. 

The hype that this fan base in particular put on him... he was never going to meet in year one.

I was one of a handful that said we should consider Tua. I was laughed at. I still liked Young. Thought he was tremendous. His play was amazing in college and I believed and still do believe that his ability will continue to grow at the pro level. He’s going to be an awesome edge for a decade plus. 9ish sacks/season for a decade gives him close to our sack record. If he stays here that long I’m sure he’ll get to that number.

Thing is, though, we passed on QBs for a pass rusher on an abysmal defense. Which I’m fine with... but the fan base has to understand that pass rushers only succeed when the rest of their defense is up to the task of at least being decent across the board.

Our backers aren’t 60% of the Niners backers from last year.

I really wish we had a way to get Logan Wilson. We’d look different.

• Like 2

Young was known for his angles and quick stride out of college, and obviously his strength. He’s been great for the run but his bull rush I haven’t seen much it and his angle puts him almost 5 foot behind the QB. He just needs to work on technique more and it almost looks like to me he hits the tackle too high, and the lineman is able to work under him and control his power. 

I have not been paying tremendously close attention, but what's JDR doing to get the most out of CY? How often are they stunting CY? Do they send a safety/corner blitz from the same side CY is on? Are they just asking him (when rushing the QB) to just win his 1on1, 1on2 and 1on3 matchups?

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Disappointed to see people whining about CY.  

Disappointed that you’re actually disappointed by the knowledge of this fan base.

1 hour ago, dyst said:

I didn’t know hype was defined by a players first year. I think the expectations were unrealistic. It seems like some were expecting him to set the sack record before the bye. The same people were discounting Sweat at this point last year, claiming he was a bust and that they KNEW he was either not big enough or was a one trick pony. I’m gonna start keeping track of who says what so I can use that to decide their level of credibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Disappointed that you’re actually disappointed by the knowledge of this fan base.

I didn’t know hype was defined by a players first year. I think the expectations were unrealistic. It seems like some were expecting him to set the sack record before the bye. The same people were discounting Sweat at this point last year, claiming he was a bust and that they KNEW he was either not big enough or was a one trick pony. I’m gonna start keeping track of who says what so I can use that to decide their level of credibility.

I feel like you’re talking about me, he was heralded as a sure fire double digit producer pro bowl type player every year. I remember the hype and maybe I bought in too much, I’m not looking for arguments at all just some what let down so far by him just my opinion. He was second overall 

5 minutes ago, max21 said:

I feel like you’re talking about me, he was heralded as a sure fire double digit producer pro bowl type player every year. I remember the hype and maybe I bought in too much, I’m not looking for arguments at all just some what let down so far by him just my opinion. He was second overall 

I told people not to buy into that garbage. 

But just like with LBs most people thought I was full of it and ignored me. And here we are. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, max21 said:

I guess I’m the bad guy now for critiquing Young, I’ve just been somewhat underwhelmed 

You are not alone. All I heard when CY was in school is that he was the next LT, Reggie White and Deacon Jones all rolled into one so I watched his last 2 games and he did zilch against decent div1 O tackles. He has no moves except bull rushing and that is fine as you are growing up as you are more mature than everyone else and even in college but you are not knocking over a experienced NFL OT that outweighs you by 75 lbs and is stronger than you with a bull rush over and over again. I did not want us to pick him and all I heard was that he is a generational talent. I felt we had 3 pass rushers already so unless we trade one someone was sitting as we are not in a position to let good players sit. I felt that if we were not taking one of the QB then we should have traded the pick, for a mid to late first and a high 2 nd. Rebuild our O line or our LB crew. Now all I am hearing is that JDR does not use him right. He does not stunt. He needs better players around him. He has to learn some moves. He is hurt. What are you gonna do in a few years when he wants mega bucks for being 2nd player picked and we still stink and then go watch the 2 QBs we passed on play awesome while we trot out what? I know it is early but honestly, are you guys impressed?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

What are you gonna do in a few years when he wants mega bucks for being 2nd player picked and we still stink and then go watch the 2 QBs we passed on play awesome while we trot out what? I know it is early but honestly, are you guys impressed?

What else does the crystal ball say?

• Haha 1

You can't play the QB in a vacuum game. There is no guarantee Herbert or Tua would look anywhere near as good here as they have on their current teams. And I mean Tua has really only played a couple games and didn't really do much in his first game. Herbert has a lot of weapons around him.

1 hour ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

You are not alone. All I heard when CY was in school is that he was the next LT, Reggie White and Deacon Jones all rolled into one so I watched his last 2 games and he did zilch against decent div1 O tackles. He has no moves except bull rushing

He is 1 sack behind both LT and Reggie White after their first 5 games in their respective rookie seasons. 

If the only move you've seen him do is a bull rush I don't know what to tell you, maybe a visit to your optometrist? He is constantly double teamed, at least 40% of his snaps. Sometimes even triple teamed. He is leading ALL rookies in QB pressures, even though he missed a game due to injury.

He has terribly inconsistent Lber play behind him - so much worse than Bosa was blessed to have. I can count at least 2 sacks that were called back because of defensive holding in the secondary. 

Once he is a little healthier (groin injuries suck) and a little more experience he is going to be unstoppable. 

It is not lost on Montez Sweat that his sack numbers have risen since Young joined the line. 

You can not like him I guess (I don't know why you would choose that) but go back and watch his games and really look at his impact on a play by play basis first. 

edit: I'm not trying to say you can't have an opinion or gut feeling

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, max21 said:

Not you per se, there are a lot of people criticizing Chase primarily because he's not a QB. Considering there was no offseason, a new coaching regime, a horrendous secondary and his own lingering groin issue, he's still on pace for 7-8 sacks and another 5-6 TFL. It will end up being a disappointing season but if that's his floor considering the circumstances then i'm not worried. You're also declaring he's none of these things after half a season. You can look at 4 of the top 5 players in the draft - Okudah has a 90 passer rating against, Andrew Thomas is already getting benched, Tua hasn't really shown much other than the ability to be a game manager, Derrick Brown has been invisible in Carolina as has Simmons in Arizona. Defensive players almost always take longer to adjust. You need to calm down. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I told people not to buy into that garbage. 

But just like with LBs most people thought I was full of it and ignored me. And here we are. 

Where exactly are we? Are you gonna own up when he starts dominating? 

1 hour ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

You are not alone. All I heard when CY was in school is that he was the next LT, Reggie White and Deacon Jones all rolled into one so I watched his last 2 games and he did zilch against decent div1 O tackles. He has no moves except bull rushing and that is fine as you are growing up as you are more mature than everyone else and even in college but you are not knocking over a experienced NFL OT that outweighs you by 75 lbs and is stronger than you with a bull rush over and over again. I did not want us to pick him and all I heard was that he is a generational talent. I felt we had 3 pass rushers already so unless we trade one someone was sitting as we are not in a position to let good players sit. I felt that if we were not taking one of the QB then we should have traded the pick, for a mid to late first and a high 2 nd. Rebuild our O line or our LB crew. Now all I am hearing is that JDR does not use him right. He does not stunt. He needs better players around him. He has to learn some moves. He is hurt. What are you gonna do in a few years when he wants mega bucks for being 2nd player picked and we still stink and then go watch the 2 QBs we passed on play awesome while we trot out what? I know it is early but honestly, are you guys impressed?

Fans like you are literally the worst fans in the world and why i sometimes cringe coming here.

• Like 2

I agree with you somewhat @PartyPosse but comparing Young to other players of different positions  drafted this year is somewhat of a crapshoot. I just really didn’t see him getting double teamed 40% of the time, I almost want to watch the entire game over again. His double team/triple team plays get cherry picked by people IMO. But anyways I’m kinda over this convo, ima go argue with someone else 😄

• Haha 1