Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

1 minute ago, Probos said:

Is he?  Why is he among the "best possible moves" exactly?  Says who?  Dan?  Therein lies the rub.

I do. I posted it. Who else would be saying it?

There's some other good moves, too. There are also some awful ones. But Rivera is ultimately what turned the tide on Allen presumably. That cannot be overlooked. Allen was working, according to reports, like he was back as of this week. So what changed?

Beyond that, Rivera is a defensive minded guy who isn't power hungry but is respected across the league. He is a much better choice than many of the other possibly options just due to what I said above. We can nitpick about his records and all of that. There are guys who I think would have been phenomenal choices. Rivera probably isn't my first. But he's good. And a franchise this bad landing a guy that's good like Rivera is a win.

It's nice that Dan "legitimately cares about his players",...he should, but seriously, who cares.  As the owner of an NFL team your main concern/job should be to hire a good football person(s), ie GM, and then they run the football side of things from there -- hiring an HC, personal, culture, etc. 

You'd care if he didn't.

Your defense of Snyder and his ways is admirable on a certain level, but ultimately his track record as owner speaks for itself and I'm not gonna go over it because it would take hours -- I think most on this board know the lowlights.

I'm not defending Snyder. I'm stating what his shortfall is. He trusts the wrong people. That's not a defense. It's an indictment.

Dan has a real opportunity, right now, to do something completely different than what he's done and the past and truly change things for the football team.  Him hiring Rivera and then simply promoting people from within after the fact (here Ron, use these guys) is more of the same.  So, why would I or any other fan be hopeful if that happens?  Bruce being gone is very, very good,....now, follow through and do the right thing Dan. 

All depends on how Rivera feels (if hired) about these guys. If they are forced - agreed. If he legitimately is okay with them after meeting with them? I'm fine with it. Let's see what happens here.

37 minutes ago, Probos said:

Good -- now, Dan,....hire a good GM and get out of the ****ing way.  

But,...I guess that makes too much sense now doesn't it?

what doesn't make sense is the belief he can if you're that desperate to get him out of the way

Not unhappy with Rivera coming in.  My big issue is how much say he will have over the acquisition of players.  Many more coaches fail then succeed when given GM duties.  I like the FO personnel guys so I hope they will have strong input.

Also, I stopped respecting Dan a long time ago.  He is the common denominator since he bought the team in the skins failure.  He no longer gets a pass.  He favors players, treats regular people with disrespect and has not ability to communicate with the fans.

Just now, Fred Jones said:

Not unhappy with Rivera coming in.  My big issue is how much say he will have over the acquisition of players.  Many more coaches fail then succeed when given GM duties.  I like the FO personnel guys so I hope they will have strong input.

I think they like the "team effort" thing they have going on to be honest with you. And I think I like it too. A group effort with a common goal can work if they understand what that common goal is. 

8 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

But bend don't break is real. Yardage does not matter as long as you can score on offense. Turnovers and preventing points is all that matters. 

Agree but then we really need to rethink draft picks like 2 2s on Sweat. He had a fine game yesterday but dare I think its because we scrapped all the things we normally do on defense. You don't make picks like that and have him dropping into coverage repeatedly.  I call it Lavar disease. You better be winning games if not using your best players to their strengths.  Other teams with explosive players let them do their thing and don't seem any worse off than us. We haven't done squat in 20 years playing that passive defense and have more than given it a fair shake.  When you need a stop or turnover, they just cannot do it.  When an offense is ripe to be attacked (rookie QB, OL injuries etc),, we sit on our heels.

It doesn't matter today though.

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I think they like the "team effort" thing they have going on to be honest with you. And I think I like it too. A group effort with a common goal can work if they understand what that common goal is. 

I like it too, but the EGO of head coaches gets in the way of teamwork and listening to the scouts and FO personnel.  I just hope Rivera continues the team effort approach and he is not given sole GM duties.

Schefter contributed report

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28395153/sources-redskins-set-hire-ron-rivera-fire-bruce-allen

The franchise has been beset by conflicts -- one former member of the Redskins football department said the team would win again when the "non-football people stop making football decisions." Players have often complained about the overall culture at Redskins Park outside of the locker room. Among other things, they point to a facility that, even though it's been updated in recent years, lags behind most in the NFL.

This season, one of the main storylines involved the holdout by seven-time Pro Bowl tackle Trent Williams. Allen didn't trade him by the Oct. 29 deadline, causing Williams to report -- but also to rip the franchise over a loss of trust stemming from medical issues. Williams later said he would not have said anything had the Redskins traded him; he had strong support from teammates.

It adds up to why the Redskins needed change. Sources said the Redskins knew they needed a strong leader, someone with previous head coaching experience -- and success.

Rivera had a reputation in Carolina for being firm with players, but also for getting to know them beyond the field.

Rivera also was Chicago's defensive coordinator in 2006 when the Bears reached the Super Bowl. He later served in the same role from 2008-10 with the San Diego Chargers. Carolina hired him as its head coach in 2011. With the Panthers, Rivera earned a reputation in his first two seasons for being conservative. But in 2013, he changed tactics and became known as "Riverboat Ron" for what others called gambling but he referred to as "calculated risks."

In Washington, he'll inherit a team with plenty of young players, including quarterback Dwayne Haskins. By season's end, partly because of injuries, they used 12 players ages 25 or younger as consistent starters. Washington also owns the No. 2 pick in the draft.

There was controversy over the drafting of Haskins. The Redskins' football side did not want to take him at 15, preferring someone more capable of helping them win now. They wanted to draft a quarterback beyond that point to develop. But Allen and Snyder wanted Haskins.

Haskins struggled in two relief appearances, but steadily improved during his seven starts. Coaches said he started doing more work outside the facility and that made a difference. During the period he started, Haskins ranked 32nd in total QBR and 20th in passer rating.

But in his last two starts, Haskins completed a combined 31-of-43 passes for 394 yards and four touchdowns. He missed the last two quarters of that second game because of a high ankle sprain. But his play, coupled with that of rookie receiver Terry McLaurin -- who led the team with 919 yards receiving and seven touchdowns -- provides a level of optimism for the franchise. And it could give Rivera a foundation to rebuild the Redskins.

Just now, Fred Jones said:

I like it too, but the EGO of head coaches gets in the way of teamwork and listening to the scouts and FO personnel.  I just hope Rivera continues the team effort approach and he is not given sole GM duties.

I feel you. Ego is a big thing in the NFL. The only thing I can say to that, is Reviera would be a hypocrite if he is curing out his players for not buying into what the TEAM wants them to do, if he cant do the same. And he doesnt strike me as the type to be a hypocrite. He loses his own value if his words mean nothing and everyone knows it. We will see. The franchise does strange things to people. 

20 minutes ago, Fred Jones said:

Also, I stopped respecting Dan a long time ago.  He is the common denominator since he bought the team in the skins failure.  He no longer gets a pass.  He favors players, treats regular people with disrespect and has not ability to communicate with the fans.

Valid concerns. 

I'm certainly not going to combat them.

I'm interested to see how he reacts to Rivera and presumably Alex Smith (along with whoever is the GM) moving forward though. I'm willing to bet it's yet another new version of Snyder. And that could be a damned good cultural thing and gets us close... Or it could be a different flavor of the same ****.

3 minutes ago, Veretax said:

The only reason you are hearing Rivera's name is because Dan has been tight lipped about everything up to and including the 'release' of Bruce.

Why would you think he would give anything away?

I like Ron, but I suspect he's not the guy for us.

So you think he’ll leave Ashburn without a deal? Or do you mean you suspect he won’t end up being the guy to turn things around here?

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

looks like i was right about getting rivera

i'm fine---not excited---about that, but everything depends on the rest of the structure

these days i take the missouri approach in all things redskins----show me :)

Theres ocean front property here in Idaho... closer over to where idahofan lives...but its here

If kevin O'Connell is retained as o coordinator I'll be happy as all get out..oh and as long as manusky is shown the door 

14 minutes ago, Veretax said:

The only reason you are hearing Rivera's name is because Dan has been tight lipped about everything up to and including the 'release' of Bruce.

Why would you think he would give anything away?

I like Ron, but I suspect he's not the guy for us.

Why do you think he is not the guy for us?  Who do you think is better.  We have a young roster. The guy has won Coach of the Year twice.  He is a motivator and he demands discipline, while allowing guys to be themselves.  Which is essential when you have a young team.   And while he did not win the SB, how many coaches actually get their team there.  It is so hard to do.   Rivera was my first choice when I heard he was fired.  

Who do you think would be better?  

1 minute ago, skinsmania123 said:

Why do you think he is not the guy for us?  Who do you think is better.  We have a young roster. The guy has won Coach of the Year twice.  He is a motivator and he demands discipline, while allowing guys to be themselves.  Which is essential when you have a young team.   And while he did not win the SB, how many coaches actually get their team there.  It is so hard to do.   Rivera was my first choice when I heard he was fired.  

Who do you think would be better?  

Thank you for posting this..its exactly what I want to say to those questioning the....soon to be hired new coach

Archived