Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: Josh Norman being shopped by Redskins

BoycottEuphemisticFans

Trading for Norman will cost the receiving team, in salary costs, almost exactly $6M for the remainder of 2019 and $12.5M in 2020.  The $6M is guaranteed, I think by the receiving team, because Norman was a vested veteran on the roster for week 1.  No team would be stupid enough to pay Norman $12M next year, so basically the trade would be to pay Norman $6M + trade compensation to the Skins for 8 or 9 games depending upon whether the receiving team has had its bye week.  That's $6M that can otherwise be carried over to 2020.  So anyone making the trade is thinking that they have a realistic shot at the Super Bowl this year.

Teams with poor pass defense and SB aspirations would include Seattle, Oakland, Houston, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Green Bay.  Baltimore has no cap space, so they are out.  Jon Gruden isn't going to bail out the Skins so they are out as well.  Philadelphia knows first hand how bad Norman is, so they are out.   That leaves Houston, Seattle and Green Bay.  With JJ Watt out for the remainder of the year, I'm taking Houston out as well. 

So that leaves Seattle ($8.3M in cap space) and Green Bay ($8.7M in cap space).  Of those two teams, Seattle has tons of 2020 cap space while the Packers will be tight.  That would be the best shot.  I just don't know if Seattle thinks adding Norman would make their pass defense better or worse.  Furthermore, it would be contrary to their recent philosophy of getting rid of aging players.

Personally, I just don't see it.

On 10/27/2019 at 11:53 AM, Mr. Sinister said:

I'm not gonna go that far, but Norman is not someone teams should be tripping over themselves to go after during the trade deadline. This is just chum, and it's insulting.

Norman isn't being used correctly here and he's lost a step.  He is best suited for a cover 3 zone playing one side of the field, but we play him in man way too much and he gets burned.  Same thing happened in Carolina when they put him into man coverage, he got beat.  

TW not being on the trade block with him is beyond disturbing though.  

We can absorb some of the cap hit and some of the cost in place of draft capital.  Teams do it all the time.

The cap space isn't really an issue for this team after this year, getting picks in house is the focus and if you can trade money for picks then do it.

19 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Jets trade Wiliams to a Giants for a 3rd and a 5th..  All other bad teams making moves to rebuild.  Not the Skins!  They are close.  SMH

Imagine a player in the NFL getting traded to a new team and NOTHING changes about his life. Hell, he might even get to keep his same locker. That can't happen all that often.

30 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Jets trade Wiliams to a Giants for a 3rd and a 5th..  All other bad teams making moves to rebuild.  Not the Skins!  They are close.  SMH

That was the draft (2015) we took Schreff with the pick ahead of the Jets taking Williams. There were a lot of people on ES who wished we had taken Williams and he was seen as blue chip 'can't miss' prospect.

He's been solid for the Jets but seems to have fallen off a cliff this year. I think it's a good deal for the Giants, relatively cheap way to see if they can get him back to where he should be.

5 hours ago, MartinC said:

That was the draft (2015) we took Schreff with the pick ahead of the Jets taking Williams. There were a lot of people on ES who wished we had taken Williams and he was seen as blue chip 'can't miss' prospect.

He's been solid for the Jets but seems to have fallen off a cliff this year. I think it's a good deal for the Giants, relatively cheap way to see if they can get him back to where he should be.

Yup.

Still I was surprised we didn't traded Williams for Scherff.

That would have been brucesque!

Edit:

Leonard, not Trent. Or can we trade with ourselves?

6 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Why? They already took our two good young corners; they are not going to trade for a $15M albatross.

Chiefs are desperate for any defensive help they can get...if they think Josh can help them it wouldn't suprise me. Plus, we've obviously traded with them in the recent past...maybe they dump an expiring salary on us and there's somewhat of a match there?

On 10/27/2019 at 11:00 AM, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

This whole cherade is the equivalent of the neighborhood-wide garage sale that you participate in just so the neighbors don't think you're not social and you setup in your driveway with a table that has one item on it: an ugly lamp that doesn't work.

On 10/27/2019 at 4:19 PM, volsmet said:

Incidentally, my dog took a dump on my Luis Matos rookie card — it too is being shopped. Pm for details.

Just put it on the table next to the ugly lamp, you unsocial neighborhood weirdo.

20 hours ago, MartinC said:

i was one who preferred Williams.  Though he has not been a monster he's been pretty good.  Up until this season i had admitted I was wrong, but just a bit. My position on that pick was if you are spending the 5th overall pick on a guard he better be Steve Hutchison and nobody is confusing Sherff with a player at that level.   But Scherff's play this year really puts that decision to take him at 5 in question.  

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

i was one who preferred Williams.  Though he has not been a monster he's been pretty good.  Up until this season i had admitted I was wrong, but just a bit. My position on that pick was if you are spending the 5th overall pick on a guard he better be Steve Hutchison and nobody is confusing Sherff with a player at that level.   But Scherff's play this year really puts that decision to take him at 5 in question.  

I thought I saw a graphic that his play this year has been good and in line with rest of career? Not 100%. 

Is it the penalties that has associated Scherff as being bad this year or have you watched him exclusively often during games? 

14 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I thought I saw a graphic that his play this year has been good and in line with rest of career? Not 100%. 

Is it the penalties that has associated Scherff as being bad this year or have you watched him exclusively often during games? 

Correct, statistically he's a top 5 guard in the league this year, right in line with his others.  We'd be stupid to let him walk, which is why they will probably do it.

So we are 3 hours away from being late to the trade market game, having a report saying we were open for business only to find out we couldn't get a deal done. 

Imagine being Norman. He's probably hoping some contender swoops in and takes him away. Just wondering how bummed he's going to be when he's still a Redskins tonight. 

4 minutes ago, Unbias said:

So we are 3 hours away from being late to the trade market game, having a report saying we were open for business only to find out we couldn't get a deal done. 

Imagine being Norman. He's probably hoping some contender swoops in and takes him away. Just wondering how bummed he's going to be when he's still a Redskins tonight. 

Norman should be more concerned about not completely tanking his upcoming freedom of movement in the offseason by playing terribly.  Nothing about his play has been championship level caliber. 

Why would a good defense want a guy that needs help over the top, at the low, low price of being one the highest paid CBs in the NFL?

43 minutes ago, megared said:

Norman should be more concerned about not completely tanking his upcoming freedom of movement in the offseason by playing terribly.  Nothing about his play has been championship level caliber. 

Why would a good defense want a guy that needs help over the top, at the low, low price of being one the highest paid CBs in the NFL?

Well, why would a team make him the highest paid corner right after his previous team pulled the franchise tag from him? 

I think the real question is does any of us have any confidence that Bruce could find someone to dance with and extract some value? 

1 minute ago, Unbias said:

Well, why would a team make him the highest paid corner right after his previous team pulled the franchise tag from him? 

That was the Redskins doing Redskins things. 

We outbid ourselves to not let the guy go visit the Saints (only other suitor at the time).  The Saints were never going to offer him the kind of money we paid him, to get him to sign on the spot.

This is a special level of incompetence.  They could've let him go in the offseason.  No late round pick is going to give me a warm & fuzzy about how Norman played while he was here.  

Archived