Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Saw something saying Sims ran a 4.5 even at Kansas's pro-day.  Sims was quoted as saying the time disappointed him because he had consistently been timing faster in training.  Who knows if that's true.

The guy he roasted with his route in the Giants game (that Keenum missed a gimme long touchdown), is Corey Ballentine.  Late round 2019 rookie for them.  Athletic testing was pretty good according to 3 sigma.  His 1 knock seems to be average speed for the position with a 4.47 40 yard.  Based on that route, it seemed like the separation gained between him and Ballentine was consistent, and Ballentine was not gaining ground. 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/corey-ballentine

So Sims functional speed in the mid 4.4's seems realistic?  He's (imo) clearly game-day faster than say Leonard Hankerson or Donte Moncrief who while timed at 4.4 at the combine.  Never really showed that functional speed in games.

Ranked 31st...

31. WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Biggest strength: Terry McLaurin was a revelation as a rookie last season for the Redskins. His 86.5 receiving grade in 2019 was the best from any rookie wide receiver not named Odell Beckham Jr. in the past decade. You can poke holes at nearly every position on the Redskins' roster, but WR1 is not one of them.

Biggest weakness: As a good as McLaurin's prospects look, the rest of this receiving corps for quarterback Dwayne Haskins Jr. is rough. Haskins' secondary options in the passing game project to be — in no particular order — guys such as Steven SimsKelvin HarmonTrey Quinn, fourth-rounder Antonio Gandy-GoldenCody Latimer (if he remains on the team after his arrest) and some combination of Jeremy SprinkleRichard RodgersHale Hentges or Logan Thomas at tight end. The only member of that group to ever record a receiving grade north of 70.0 or more than 35 receptions in a season was Rodgers all the way back in 2015.

X factor for 2020: Reuben Foster earned an 81.2 overall grade as a rookie for the San Francisco 49ers, a number that ranked ninth at the linebacker position. Then came multiple arrests that led to his release from the 49ers midway through the 2018 season and a major knee injury that included nerve damage and sidelined him for all the 2019 season. Reportedly, Foster is expected to be on track to play this season if medically cleared. As we saw back in 2017, he could provide a spark to a wide-open linebacker group if he can stay on the field.

OFFENSE DEFENSE
QB Dwayne Haskins Jr.
(67.6)
DT Jonathan Allen
(60.5)
RB Derrius Guice
(76.0)
DT Daron Payne
(67.4)
RB Adrian Peterson
(67.7)
EDGE Chase Young
(96.0**)
TE Jeremy Sprinkle
(49.8)
EDGE Montez Sweat
(60.2)
WR Terry McLaurin
(85.7)
LB Cole Holcomb
(56.0)
WR Steven Sims Jr.
(64.4)
LB Thomas Davis Sr.
(61.7)
WR Kelvin Harmon
(63.9)
LB Jon Bostic
(55.3)
LT Cornelius Lucas III
(72.2)
CB Ronald Darby
(44.8)
LG Wes Schweitzer
(56.4)
CB Kendall Fuller
(70.1)
C Chase Roullier
(69.3)
CB Fabian Moreau
(52.7)
RG Brandon Scherff
(75.0)
SS Landon Collins
(69.3)
RT Morgan Moses
(65.2)
FS Sean Davis
(69.7*)

44 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Saw something saying Sims ran a 4.5 even at Kansas's pro-day.  Sims was quoted as saying the time disappointed him because he had consistently been timing faster in training.  Who knows if that's true.

The guy he roasted with his route in the Giants game (that Keenum missed a gimme long touchdown), is Corey Ballentine.  Late round 2019 rookie for them.  Athletic testing was pretty good according to 3 sigma.  His 1 knock seems to be average speed for the position with a 4.47 40 yard.  Based on that route, it seemed like the separation gained between him and Ballentine was consistent, and Ballentine was not gaining ground. 

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/corey-ballentine

So Sims functional speed in the mid 4.4's seems realistic?  He's (imo) clearly game-day faster than say Leonard Hankerson or Donte Moncrief who while timed at 4.4 at the combine.  Never really showed that functional speed in games.

I shared this in another thread a little while back, but the podcast I BELIEVE that was referenced a few posts ago is this one:

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cDovL2pvaG5rZWltcmVwb3J0LmxpYnN5bi5jb20vcnNz/episode/ZmUzMWMwMzEtMzQ2Yy00MGE0LWFhNDMtM2M1MTM4N2MxYWUw?hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwiey9zeu53qAhXKl3IEHZnVCVkQieUEegQICxAM&ep=6

David Robinson is a 'wr guru' that has worked, and still works, with top receiver talent, WRs and TEs.  He helped Jordan Reed, as well as guys like Chris Godwin, Dez Bryant, and Emmanuel Sanders. 

He said Sims' most valuable thing (and i'm paraphrasing this, it's been a while since i listened to the podcast), was that while Sims is a 4.5 guy, he carries that speed THROUGH his breaks.   That's something most guys can't do, which makes him very hard to cover.  He can maintain that speed changing direction and running routes..  

I don't think Sims is a 4.3 guy.  Watching him get run down from behind against Dallas shows me enough.  What he excels at is he's explosive going from 0-60 and he has REALLY good feet.  He can change direction without sacrificing as much speed as most other guys do.  So when he is in man, he can break on a post or an in route, and the CB running with him cannot maintain the pace allowing separation.  

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

40 times are the Devil

They timed me with a sundial.

On Simms the most important thing is his game speed - he plays to his speed and his quickness in and out of breaks and off the line is outstanding. He is not the best though at tracking the deep ball, if he could get better in that area it would raise him to a really dangerous weapon.

Here are the other NFC East team rankins according to PFF.  I think we are another off season from leapfrogging most of them.  But I agree at this time all three rivals have better teams on paper.  Cowboys arguably had the best draft in the NFL this year, at least on paper.  I love Kyle Smith but I'd concede that will McClay might be the best personnel guy in the NFL.  Gettleman for all his buffoonish statements has quietly had really good drafts IMO.  IMO their interior D line is as good as ours, PFF thinks its better than ours.  So thankfully we ended up with Chase and not them.  It feels to me that the Eagles' window is the shortest in the division but I give them that they are consistently good at fielding a strong D line and O line. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-roster-rankings-all-32-teams-ravens-first-jaguars-last

27. NEW YORK GIANTS

Biggest strength: Leonard WilliamsDexter LawrenceDalvin Tomlinson and B.J. Hill all finished with well above average run-defense grades at the interior defender position. If you move back to the linebacker position, David Mayo — the potential starter alongside Blake Martinez — ended the 2019 season with a PFF run-defense grade of 90.1. Teams are going to have trouble running up the middle against the Giants.

Biggest weakness: Kyler Fackrell replaces Markus Golden in the lineup this season, but his career high in pressures is just 27 in 2017. Oshane Ximines and Lorenzo Carter figure to compete for the other starting edge defender job. In their three combined seasons, the highest PFF pass-rushing grade between them is 62.3. With a run-first defensive line, New York projects to have one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL.

X factor for 2020: The high-end level of play from quarterback Daniel Jones is what has drawn people in, and it does provide reason for cautious optimism. His carelessness with the football last season has to be acknowledged, though. Jones' 31 turnover-worthy plays — plays that should have resulted in turnovers whether they actually did or not — ranked as the fourth most in the NFL. Jones' imperviousness to pressure produces some spectacular plays, but it also leads to those unnecessary sacks and mistakes. The Giants' 2020 season will largely rest on whether the second-year quarterback can improve in that area.

9. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
Biggest strength: The Eagles are one of the strongest teams in the NFL in the trenches. As a team, they finished the season with PFF's highest-graded offensive line, and their defensive line ranked fourth behind only the Steelers, 49ers and Rams. The defensive line is a group that should continue to improve with the additions of Javon Hargrave and a healthy Malik Jackson.

Biggest weakness: Linebacker is still a question mark for Philadelphia. Nathan Gerry figures to be atop the depth chart after more than 600 snaps of average play in 2019, but there's much less clarity behind him. Can T.J. Edwards break out after earning an 83.4 overall grade on just over 100 snaps last season? Will Jatavis Brown win a starting job after shaky play led to his role getting significantly reduced in 2019 with the Chargers? Rookie Davion Taylor will have a chance at playing time early, too. It's a group that still doesn't have much definition on what should be an improved defense overall.

X factor for 2020: Darius Slay‘s PFF grade in 2019 doesn't represent the kind of player that he has been throughout his career. The first thing to note is that he played a difficult role in Detroit, consistently shadowing the opposing team's best receiver in man coverage. Despite that, Slay came in as the fourth-most valuable cornerback in the NFL in 2014-18 per PFF WAR (wins above replacement), and his 74 forced incompletions over that stretch were the most in the NFL. Expect him to bounce back and give a big boost to that secondary.

6. DALLAS COWBOYS

Biggest strength: Not too many quarterbacks have it better than Dak Prescott. The trio of wide receivers that Dallas plans to run out on the field in 2020 is arguably the best three-deep group in the NFL. Among the 104 wide receivers to run at least 250 routes in 2019, both Amari Cooper and Michael Gallup finished in the top 10 in receiving yards per route run. And now the Cowboys have the FBS leader in yards per route run last season — CeeDee Lamb — after selecting him in the first round of the draft.

Biggest weakness: Losing cornerback Byron Jones is going to hurt the Cowboys' secondary. Rookie Trevon Diggs is a player PFF liked coming out of Alabama — someone who projects well in a press-heavy, zone scheme — but you can't expect him to replace a top-10 cornerback such as Jones as a rookie. The cornerback depth becomes even thinner if Chidobe Awuzie transitions to safety as some chatter this offseason has suggested.

X factor for 2020: A neck injury took a large portion of last season from linebacker Leighton Vander Esch, but even when he was healthy, his play wasn't at the same level as it was during his rookie season. A decline in play against the run was a major culprit. Vander Esch's run-defense grade fell from 81.3 as a rookie to 43.2 in 2019, and he missed nearly as many tackles in 2019 (12) as he did in 2018 (13) on fewer than half of the opportunities. Following Vander Esch's offseason surgery, the Cowboys will be hoping the player who looked like one of the NFL's best linebackers as a rookie returns to the field.

Question for all. Say there wasn’t a season and the Nfl inexplicably kept the draft for next year with the same standings leaving the redskins at 2. Say Cincy passed on trading or drafting T Law and took say Chase. Would you take Lawrence even though you didn’t have a chance to see Haskins grow and develop this year?

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

Think you have to take him, hypothetically. You can always trade him for a haul if Haskins looks great in camps. Or the other way around though that would of course net much less. 

If that hypothetical situation plays out, and we have both QBs on our roster, even IF haskins looks great in training camp i wouldnt trade lawrence, cause haskins could look great in training camp and then **** the bed in the regular season. 

I’d rather, if that scenario happens, where we draft Lawrence, that we just trade haskins. But i dont think we’ll be in that situation anyway so it’s a moot point 

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

If that hypothetical situation plays out, and we have both QBs on our roster, even IF haskins looks great in training camp i wouldnt trade lawrence, cause haskins could look great in training camp and then **** the bed in the regular season. 

I would take t law, although Sewell would be tempting, Lawrence is a once in a decade type QB prospect, and we have had a need at QB for what seems like an eternity.  Just can't pass him up. 

And I wouldnt trade either one after camp no matter how each of them look, I'd give Haskins the full season with Lawrence on the bench and see what happens.  Even if Lawrence rides the pine for a year, he will still have immense trade value.   

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Isn't that what Tua and Burrow were?

If tua wasn't hurt, maybe.  Burrow had the greatest college season of all time, but there remains the question of how did he lose the job to Haskins at OSU and his mediocre 2018.  I think it's a pretty strong consensus that Lawrence is a better prospect than burrow and post hip injury tua.  I'd say biggest prospect since Luck.

On 6/25/2020 at 2:57 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

I can't say 31st is unfair, really. Times are tough at WR.

D-line is our only real strength

Seeing that offense in person last year more then once, a couple players that can actually stay healthy even if mediocre will help, but that's about it. 

Throw in a new system with it being really hard to get together and get used to, it's going to be Haskins and Terry trying to save us all day.

That's a tall order.

On 6/25/2020 at 12:50 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

40 times are the Devil

It truly is. Football speed is entirely something else. On top of that, add shiftiness and you got a dangerous player.

Jordan reed was never very fast, but he was routinely wide open due to his quick feet and cutting ability. 

That WR we signed from the Seahawks was suppose to be fast but I’d rather have Sims all day if I had to pick. I hope he does well this year.

1 hour ago, dyst said:

That WR we signed from the Seahawks was suppose to be fast but I’d rather have Sims all day if I had to pick. I hope he does well this year.

Paul Richardson (over 2 years): 17 G (10 GS) 48 rec 507 yrds    10.6 YPC    4 TDs

Steven Sims (UDFA Rookie year): 16 G (2 GS) 34 rec 310 yrds    9.1 YPC   4 TDs   

On 6/27/2020 at 8:22 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Here are the other NFC East team rankins according to PFF.  

Have you seen the Philly Voice "10 reasons each NFC East team will be a dumpsterfire" series?  They're fun.  

https://www.phillyvoice.com/10-reasons-eagles-will-be-dumpster-fire-season-2020/

https://www.phillyvoice.com/10-reasons-giants-will-be-dumpster-fire-season-2020/

https://www.phillyvoice.com/10-reasons-cowboys-will-be-dumpster-fire-season-2020/

https://www.phillyvoice.com/10-reasons-washington-team-will-be-dumpster-fire-season-2020/

On 6/27/2020 at 8:22 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Gettleman for all his buffoonish statements has quietly had really good drafts IMO.  IMO their interior D line is as good as ours, PFF thinks its better than ours.

I'll agree with a caveat.  We've got a new scheme, that in theory should help D-Line talent shine.  Under the old scheme, we weren't utilizing talent well.

On 6/27/2020 at 9:05 PM, Riggo#44 said:

Isn't that what Tua and Burrow were?

No sir. 

On 6/25/2020 at 12:50 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

40 times are the Devil

Nothing causes more misses, but nothing changes games more quickly... what a 🤫 she is.

Archived