Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Anyone know why all these receivers seem to want to workout with Haskins?  Not trying to slight him, it's just that he hasn't built an NFL rep yet...

I know guys workout together, but the sheer number of high profile guys he's worked with this summer is crazy...

9 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

Anyone know why all these receivers seem to want to workout with Haskins?  Not trying to slight him, it's just that he hasn't built an NFL rep yet...

I know guys workout together, but the sheer number of high profile guys he's worked with this summer is crazy...

Its probably because he's still green which makes him more available to workout with anyone. 

Established QB's probably have a specific regiment or like to workout with specific guys.   

(guess)

37 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Its probably because he's still green which makes him more available to workout with anyone. 

Established QB's probably have a specific regiment or like to workout with specific guys.   

(guess)

Still green? What does that mean? 

1 hour ago, DiscoBob said:

Logistics most likely. 

1 hour ago, DiscoBob said:

Regional kinship and big time college football networking imo. Plus the Urban Meyer connection. Some combination of all those, I'd bet

3 hours ago, DiscoBob said:

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Logistics most likely. 

It's all ball bearings these days...

6 hours ago, Number 44 said:

To me, referring to a person as being "green" doesn't address ability at all.  It suggests that the person is short on experience, not ability.

When you said this I immediately thought of Redskins VP of Player Personnel Kyle Smith.  He has a color coded system of ranking players.  I’m not sure where green is on his chart.  But I do know that all the elite players are color coded blue.  As in, a “blue chip” player.  It’s one of his barometers for trading, signing, and drafting players.

3 hours ago, Vanguard said:

When you said this I immediately thought of Redskins VP of Player Personnel Kyle Smith.  He has a color coded system of ranking players.  I’m not sure where green is on his chart.  But I do know that all the elite players are color coded blue.  As in, a “blue chip” player.  It’s one of his barometers for trading, signing, and drafting players.

This is probably also true for Smith, as it's not a unique system, but McCloughan is the one who I remember stressing this idea of "blues" and then "reds" early on.

10 hours ago, Number 44 said:

To me, referring to a person as being "green" doesn't address ability at all.  It suggests that the person is short on experience, not ability.

That’s exactly what it means, obviously.

23 hours ago, wit33 said:

Hope can lead to disappointment, so we’re not far apart. Pro bowls and All pros sound good to me— we agree! 

Sure, odds say he won’t be a hall of famer, but damn the odds is how I roll in life and as a now supporter of Young. 

Wouldn’t attributing any level of expectations be “insane” just by sheer math? I do have different expectations for freaks and he qualifies. For example, I didn’t have the same expectations for Kerrigan and he’s been a good Skins player, but I’d be underwhelmed if Young has a similar impact/career numbers as Kerrigan. 

Splitting hairs, we both hope he becomes a Hall of Famer. Go Skins!

I've never been this hyped about a prospect we got from the draft since forever.  RG3 being an exception so maybe that's a bad omen. 😪  Maybe Guice but he wasn't a first rounder and my expectations were more tempered then it was for Young.

We love our D lineman.  I was as hyped as anyone when we got Jonathan Allen.  I wasn't in love with Payne in the draft but liked him (I liked D. James, Vea (who went before him better).  Ionnaidis has clearly exceeded expectations and is a good player maybe even very good.   I liked the move to get Sweat.  But "like" for me is the operative word.  While I think Payne and Sweat have the potential to be special -- am not sure they end up that way but it's certainly in play.    The sample size is bigger with Payne albeit not that big -- Sweat has the opportunity to take a climb as many pass rushers do in season two.   I think Allen plays to his talent but had an off year compared to the season before.   And hasn't really killed it yet.  I like what we got up till now but don't love it.  I don't think the unit has justified loving it. 

i don't think any of our D lineman yet have sniffed a pro bowl or have played like they are special consistently.   I think as a unit they've underperformed expectations.   They can't stop the run with the game on the line for the most part or rush the passer on critical downs.  Their 3rd down defense has been horrendous of late.  I don't mind putting some or even most of that blame on Manusky, etc.  But it's tough for me to make the argument that any of our D lineman have been great.  But certainly they have been good.

That preamble leads to a point for me.  Chase Young to me is the perfect catalyst for the rest of the D lineman to shine.  The D lineman now have experience under their belt.  They have a better D coordinator.  And if they are going to elevate to good to great -- this is their chance.  And I do think it possibly goes down.  

So while I agree with some of the points made here by some that one player can't do it their own.  I do think Chase is the perfect addition to maximize a D line that has been somewhat overhyped and overrated IMO by people including myself.   If there is a chance that this D line becomes SF level special IMO it wouldn't happen without Chase Young.  Chase makes it possible and heck even likely.

I get tempering down expectations being a fan of this team.  But how often do we draft a guy that is the consensus best player in the draft?  Hardly ever if ever.  Some say it happened with L. Arrington.  But heck another D lineman went before him in that same draft.  He wasn't a lockdown consensus choice.  I recall the debate back then between Brown and Arrington.  And I think Chase has the intangibles that Arrington didn't have.  I'll stick my neck out now and say Chase lives up to his hype.  And IMO he's a better player than every other dude we got right now on the D line and by extension adding some "great" to that D line will elevate the whole unit.  He's the perfect domino to that unit IMO.

Is he a Hall Famer type?  He's got that kind of talent IMO.  To me the #1 wildcard will be injuries. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've never been this hyped about a prospect we got from the draft since forever.  RG3 being an exception so maybe that's a bad omen. 😪  Maybe Guice but he wasn't a first rounder and my expectations were more tempered then it was for Young.

We love our D lineman.  I was as hyped as anyone when we got Jonathan Allen.  I wasn't in love with Payne in the draft but liked him (I liked D. James, Vea (who went before him better).  Ionnaidis has clearly exceeded expectations and is a good player maybe even very good.   I liked the move to get Sweat.  But "like" for me is the operative word.  While I think Payne and Sweat have the potential to be special -- am not sure they end up that way but it's certainly in play.   

Is he a Hall Famer type?  He's got that kind of talent IMO.  To me the #1 wildcard will be injuries. 

All of this.

And throw in the fact that I think Sweat, will make a noticeable leap this year.  He was really starting to find his way by the end of the year.  He just needs to make those impactful type plays when they matter most.  All of them do.

19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That preamble leads to a point for me.  Chase Young to me is the perfect catalyst for the rest of the D lineman to shine.  The D lineman now have experience under their belt.  They have a better D coordinator.  And if they are going to elevate to good to great -- this is their chance.  And I do think it possibly goes down.  

So while I agree with some of the points made here by some that one player can't do it their own.  I do think Chase is the perfect addition to maximize a D line that has been somewhat overhyped and overrated IMO by people including myself.   If there is a chance that this D line becomes SF level special IMO it wouldn't happen without Chase Young.  Chase makes it possible and heck even likely.

My thought is that the line could make Chase even better, sharing tips, techniques and tendencies, young guys giving him a headsup on what to expect as a very visible rook coming in, insight into their own coordination and choreographing on play style. It isn't all one way.

10 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Chess might make you smarter, but it won't make you wiser.  (See Sprewell, Latrell)

That's what Monopoly was made for. I can see it now, Ken Zampese walking into the QB room with board games in hand, asking what game they want to play and all the QBs groaning. Except for Alex Smith, who's already called dibs on the thimble for Monopoly.

Archived