Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I definitely like what we've seen and heard about Haskins and his work/development this offseason, but if there's no season this year then we'll still be going into the next draft not truly knowing how much he's improved in his actual on-field game. In that situation I couldn't see passing on Lawrence. And that's also considering that I absolutely love Sewell and would hate having to pass on a guy who looks like a generational player and perennial All-Pro at LT. But positional value comes into play. If it's unknown Haskins + a once in a decade LT prospect or a once in a decade QB prospect + unknown at LT, I have to go with the latter. 

It’s an interesting dilemma. I personally think Haskins’ has top 5 QB upside if he corrects his footwork (accuracy) and becomes more consistent at avoiding sacks, both of which are doable. However, it would be hard for Haskins to show significant improvement in those areas without live action, so I can definitely see the argument for drafting Lawrence in that situation and I wouldn’t blame the team for doing so. 

But, if something weird happens - like they play the first 6 or so weeks of the season before cancelling it - and in that time Haskins shows significant improvement in those areas, AND we have the 1st overall pick (via lottery), AND we are able to trade back for a haul, AND we can draft Sewell, I don’t think we can pass that up. It’s not like Lawrence doesn’t have flaws as well, and we have no idea if he’ll be able to live up to the hype. 

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

One thing I'm curious about though is whether there would even BE an NFL draft if in 2021 if there's no NFL or college season this year. They might just decide to bypass the entire thing altogether and restart it all in 2021 as if it were 2020 so the next draft would be 2022. That might not be fair to some college guys who were looking to enter the NFL after their junior years though. But it seems like it might be the most fair thing as far as the draft for NFL teams.  

There pretty much has to be a draft. What about all the draft pick trades that were made. Do those just become null and void? Or do they try and roll them over into future years? It would create something of a legal nightmare, not to mention the NFLPA would have to sign off on it. Not sure why they'd want to.

The draft itself could be quite weird. If there's no NFL season, there surely won't be a college season either. It makes the draft even more of a crapshoot. Take Joe Burrow. Wildly considered to be a late round pick heading into the 2019 season, he ended up #1 overall after a stellar senior season. So much can change in a year in terms of draft positing. But without that season, who knows how players might have moved up or down. Not to mention, all the collegiate players would retain a year of eligibility. So the draft pool would basically be limited to players willing to declare. Which could be limited. This past year, there were 135 early entrants, which isn't even enough to cover 4 rounds of picks (including compensatory picks). So you might see some modifications, much like MLB did.

58 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It’s an interesting dilemma. I personally think Haskins’ has top 5 QB upside if he corrects his footwork (accuracy) and becomes more consistent at avoiding sacks, both of which are doable. However, it would be hard for Haskins to show significant improvement in those areas without live action, so I can definitely see the argument for drafting Lawrence in that situation and I wouldn’t blame the team for doing so. 

But, if something weird happens - like they play the first 6 or so weeks of the season before cancelling it - and in that time Haskins shows significant improvement in those areas, AND we have the 1st overall pick (via lottery), AND we are able to trade back for a haul, AND we can draft Sewell, I don’t think we can pass that up. It’s not like Lawrence doesn’t have flaws as well, and we have no idea if he’ll be able to live up to the hype. 

Your second paragraph would basically be my dream scenario. We have half a season and during it a much improved Haskins plays like a star, and we somehow get the 1st overall pick via some sort of lottery. We figure out a way to trade out of #1 and get a draft haul while still being able to get Sewell. Seems like a lot of unlikely things to happen but man would that be sweet. 

Dwayne Haskins Is 2020’s Under-the-Radar Sophomore Quarterback

The Washington passer didn’t exactly make waves helming an abysmal offense as a rookie. But there are enough flashes of talent on tape to put the potential of a dramatic a year-two leap on the table.

Dwayne Haskins’s rookie season didn’t exactly go to plan. The big-armed passer played a backup role for Washington for the first half of the year and watched as fellow rookies Kyler Murray, Daniel Jones, and Gardner Minshew II all quickly earned starting jobs and impressed in their respective teams. He got his shot midway through the season, replacing Case Keenum at starter in Week 9, but failed to generate much buzz helming the offense of a dismal last-place team. And now, heading into the 2020 season, Haskins feels like the afterthought member of an exciting sophomore quarterback class. Even Drew Lock is getting more hype, thanks to his promising late-year finish.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/6/22/21293793/dwayne-haskins-washington-sophomore-2020

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yes, because there is nothing impressive about Haskins late-year finish....

I like Haskins more than most, but come on...Drew Lock easily outperformed Haskins. Just compare Haskins' last 3 games to Lock's last 3 games--well, 3 of his last 4 games. I don't think his game against the Chiefs should count, because reasons:

Touchdowns

Haskins: - 5

Lock - 5

INTs

Haskins - 1

Lock - 1

Completion%

Haskins - 67.1

Lock - 72.7

INT%

Haskins - 1.4

Lock - 1.1

Yards per attempt

Haskins - 8.1

Lock - 7.7

QB rating

Haskins - 109.5

Lock - 109.0

See?I mean it's obvious that Lock is....uh, it's obvious that...um....it's...

giphy.gif

On 6/21/2020 at 8:33 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

As for the O line, I don't think their pessimism is that wild albeit maybe a bit exaggerated.  Football Outsiders had us as the 2nd worst pass blocking in the league last year.   They gave up 50 sacks.  Most of the metric type outfits seem to value pass blocking over run blocking. 

Football Outsiders stat is I think just Sacks / (Passing Attempts + Sacks - QB Spikes).  They don't do subjective grading, it's all down/distance box score related.  They don't lay the fault of the sack on the OL or the QB in that stat unless it's an in-depth article.  A fair and legit criticism for Haskins was his high sack rate, and some of that was on the OL, but a good amount was on Haskins.  Colt McCoy hurt that as well.

McCoy's 1 game started was brutal, he had a sack rate of 18.2%, he's always been sack prone, which is a big reason he has never made it as a game manager.  His career sack rate for the Redskins (5  years covering 7 starts and 5 relief appearances) is 12%.  When other QB's like Kirk Cousins have a significantly lower sack rate behind the same o-line, the QB has to be responsible for some of those sacks.

Haskins was also misreading blitzes and sliding protection to the wrong side a few times, more so earlier in the season.  His sack rate is still bad, like really bad, but it started out as too abysmal to function.

2 relief appearances: 15.38% of passing plays were sacks

First 2 starts: 14.93%

Last 5 games after he started being gameplanned/playcalled for (according to Rivera's filmstudy): 10.79%

Last 3 games he started when he appeared to make a leap: 9.09%

In chart form:

image.thumb.png.b25e466f92322292c1fba04a473a32fe.png

I think it's fair to lay a lot of the sack issues on both McCoy and Haskins.  When taking the season as a whole and using those sack numbers, it paints a misleading picture of the OL's protection ability.  Keenum's career sack rate is 5.4%, and his sack rate with us was 5.7%.  I think that's a fairer assessment of the OL's ability to pass protect.

Penn wasn't great but he's a professional veteran LT.

I think you (and most I see on here) are overstating Penn's abilities.  There was some stuff he could do just fine from solid fundamentals and technique.  But there was too much he could no longer do.  Such as handle any speed rush.  Or a good outside-in move.  Or the down blocker on a stunt. Or sustain a block for any length of time beyond 3 seconds.  He should have been retired, and you have to give him credit for gutting out a season despite his legs not being there anymore, but the guy was thoroughly washed.  I think ignoring that paints a misleading picture of the state of LT play in 2019 vs the projected state of LT play in 2020.

I've read too many columns from sports journalists declaring our OL in 2020 to be even worse, and the author then cites a loss of Trent Williams as the reason...but Trent never played a snap in 2019 either.

Could it all come together for the O line?  Sure.  But on paper, I don't think our O line stacks well versus many teams especially within our own division.  I think if Charles though can stay out of trouble, it's possible that the O line surprises.  I suspect next off season though we attack the O line hard.  

I'm anticipating league average play for our OL.  I also think the difference between quality of OL play is more of a bell curve instead of a flat line.  So 2/3rds of the league plays at about an average level.

On paper the OL for our division is better than most.  Philly and Dallas OL's are likely going to be on the above average part of the curve league-wide.

On 6/20/2020 at 11:34 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

but I think the writer is justified in saying the staff didn’t do enough to put Haskins in a position to achieve a high percentage chance of success. Not like Denver did with Lock or Arizona did with Murray - not even close. I understand the coaches want to see what we have in our young guys, but if they fall flat on their face, it will impede Haskins’ development. 

I think he’s in a better situation than Rosen and Darnold were heading into their second seasons, but it could have been much better. 

I think the incoming staff were pleasantly surprised with young pieces to build on when they showed up.  Stats show Steven Sims as a Top 10 WR for the last 1/3rd of the 2019 season, and as the 2nd most productive Rookie WR over that stretch.  Eye test backs that up, some of Sims routes were nasty, and he has the acceleration to capitalize.  We struck gold in 2019 somehow, McLaurin and Sims is an insane haul.

I think the "we want to see what we have in the young guys" is just the coaches nod to a "Holy crap, McLaurin and Sims are good".  For those that are overly optimistic and trying to lump Kelvin Harmon in there.  He's (imo) unfortunately a JAG.  We then tried to hit a home run with Amari Cooper.  Who fits perfectly alongside McLaurin and Sims.

This is what I suspect.  Maybe some rose colored glasses here, but I feel like I'm being fairly practical.

36 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I think you (and most I see on here) are overstating Penn's abilities.  There was some stuff he could do just fine from solid fundamentals and technique.  But there was too much he could no longer do. 

I didn't really hype Penn.  I don't think much of Christian and don't love what i've read about him either -- having said that you never know so maybe this is his breakout season.  I liked S. Charles on the draft thread before the draft.  If he can stay out of trouble (which doesn't always happen for a repeated offender in college) then I'd feel better about LT.

To me the two Wes' are wildcards and there is a chance they are below average.  I love Scherff more than most but want to see him healthy for a season after the last 2 years. 

I think the O line could be fine if everything breaks right or below average if it doesn't break right.  

I am higher for example than you are on Harmon.  I am lower I gather as to LG and LT.

36 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

On paper the OL for our division is better than most.  Philly and Dallas OL's are likely going to be on the above average part of the curve league-wide.

I know some here disagree on the NY Giants but in my book, I'd add them to the above average pile.  If I had to hazard a guess I'd guess our O line ends up below average.  But I hope I am wrong, will see.

I am higher than most on our RB crew and WR.  I pretty much see TE and O line almost as pessimistically as the typical NFL pundit.  Both both could end up fine if things break right. 

7 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I think the incoming staff were pleasantly surprised with young pieces to build on when they showed up.  Stats show Steven Sims as a Top 10 WR for the last 1/3rd of the 2019 season, and as the 2nd most productive Rookie WR over that stretch.  Eye test backs that up, some of Sims routes were nasty, and he has the acceleration to capitalize.  We struck gold in 2019 somehow, McLaurin and Sims is an insane haul.

I think the "we want to see what we have in the young guys" is just the coaches nod to a "Holy crap, McLaurin and Sims are good".  For those that are overly optimistic and trying to lump Kelvin Harmon in there.  He's (imo) unfortunately a JAG.  We then tried to hit a home run with Amari Cooper.  Who fits perfectly alongside McLaurin and Sims.

This is what I suspect.  Maybe some rose colored glasses here, but I feel like I'm being fairly practical.

I agree about McLaurin and Sims, but modern day offenses require a lot more than two above average options to find consistent success in this league.  The top 5 offenses in the league last year by DVOA were Baltimore, Dallas, KC, NO and Seattle.  All had very good QBs, but all were also loaded with weapons.

I feel good about our young players, but our holes at TE and the left side of the OL are concerning.  So is the fragility of our RB corps.

Just compare our depth chart to the weapons Drew Lock has:

WR1 - Courtland Sutton

WR2 - Jerry Jeudy

SLOT - KJ Hamler

TE - Noah Fant

RB1 - Melvin Gordon

RB2 - Phillip Lindsay

RB3 - Royce Freeman

Or the weapons Kyler Murray has:

WR1 - DeAndre Hopkins

WR2 - Christian Kirk

SLOT - Larry Fitzgerald

TE - Maxx Williams

RB1 - Kenyan Drake

RB2 - Chase Edmonds

Daniel Jones has better weapons too, depending on the health of Engram.

All I'm saying is that we could have done a better job of setting Haskins up for success.  I agree with PFF there.

19 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I agree about McLaurin and Sims, but modern day offenses require a lot more than two above average options to find consistent success in this league.  The top 5 offenses in the league last year by DVOA were Baltimore, Dallas, KC, NO and Seattle.  All had very good QBs, but all were also loaded with weapons.

I feel good about our young players, but our holes at TE and the left side of the OL are concerning.  So is the fragility of our RB corps.

Just compare our depth chart to the weapons Drew Lock has:

WR1 - Courtland Sutton

WR2 - Jerry Jeudy

SLOT - KJ Hamler

TE - Noah Fant

RB1 - Melvin Gordon

RB2 - Phillip Lindsay

RB3 - Royce Freeman

Or the weapons Kyler Murray has:

WR1 - DeAndre Hopkins

WR2 - Christian Kirk

SLOT - Larry Fitzgerald

TE - Maxx Williams

RB1 - Kenyan Drake

RB2 - Chase Edmonds

Daniel Jones has better weapons too, depending on the health of Engram.

All I'm saying is that we could have done a better job of setting Haskins up for success.  I agree with PFF there.

I’m going to put on the burgundy glasses. If McLaurin keeps progressing then he may be one of the NFL’s best receivers. Top three. Simms was at times devastating. Now, if Gibson turns out to be a find as a receiving back and Gandy or Harmon becomes a sticky handed possession receiver, then we will be in great shape. 

Sure, we’d still be missing a te, but the pantry is pretty will stocked. Only problem right now is all the bananas are awful green. 

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

I’m going to put on the burgundy glasses. If McLaurin keeps progressing then he may be one of the NFL’s best receivers. Top three. Simms was at times devastating. Now, if Gibson turns out to be a find as a receiving back and Gandy or Harmon becomes a sticky handed possession receiver, then we will be in great shape. 

Sure, we’d still be missing a te, but the pantry is pretty will stocked. Only problem right now is all the bananas are awful green. 

Yeah, that's a lot of IF's.  There's no doubt we have a ton of potential, but I just don't think our weapons compare favorably to the other teams I named at the moment.

What I think about is that at the end of the season our receiving Corp looked legit. They were all rookies. The coaching sucked. The qbing was uneven at best. We had no line. 

In stands to reason the Qb and receivers will all improve. 

34 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, that's a lot of IF's.  There's no doubt we have a ton of potential, but I just don't think our weapons compare favorably to the other teams I named at the moment.

One more "if". If Guice stays healthy and is the powerhouse running back I know he can be we'll be in excellent shape. 

There's a lot of talk coming from Coaches, Beatguys, and some of the RB's themselves about us using 2 RB formations.  The vast majority of us here think the TE grouping is lackluster (to put it politely).  Sooo, what if we do some 20 personnel a fair amount?

We go funky and ditch the TE spot for a subpackage consisting of:

McLaurin---------Sims---------------  LT - LG - C - RG - RT -----------------Harmon/AGG

-----------------------------------------------------------QB----------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------AP/Guice----------Gibson-------------------------------------

Motion out Gibson to the slot on the right side if the defense adds an extra Linebacker in.

According to Sharp Football, the 20 Personnel was only used 1% of the time last season.  It would certainly surprise the hell out of the rest of the NFL and the defensive coaches, because it is not common.  Despite some teams having success.

Arizona with their new offense and Kyler Murray used it extremely well.

8 rushes for 50 yards (6.3ypc), 0 TD's

16 passes for 75% completion, 0 sacks, 2 TD's, 1 Int's, 128.1 QBRating, 192 yards (12 YPA)

The only other team that used it well was Cleveland, and I'm guessing that's when they had both Kareem Hunt and Nick Chubb.

It's so interesting to see the correlation between good offenses and team success.  The top 10 Total DVOA teams in the league all had top 11 offenses, whereas defense doesn't correlate nearly as much to overall team success.  And special teams is obviously even less correlated.

Just really hammers home the point that we should be committing as many resources as possible towards having a top 10 offense above all else.  Obviously, Dwayne is a big part of that.  He has to reach his potential.

TEAM TOTAL
DVOA
LAST
YEAR
NON-ADJ
TOT VOA
W-L OFFENSE
DVOA
OFF.
RANK
DEFENSE
DVOA
DEF.
RANK
S.T.
DVOA
S.T.
RANK
1 BAL 41.8% 6 44.7% 14-2 27.7% 1 -12.7% 4 1.5% 9
2 NE 30.8% 7 34.5% 12-4 4.1% 11 -25.5% 1 1.2% 11
3 KC 30.2% 1 27.8% 12-4 22.8% 3 -3.4% 14 4.1% 2
4 NO 29.3% 4 32.7% 13-3 21.4% 4 -4.3% 11 3.6% 3
5 SF 27.9% 30 26.1% 13-3 7.2% 7 -19.7% 2 1.0% 12
6 DAL 17.2% 21 22.1% 8-8 24.2% 2 3.0% 19 -3.9% 30
7 MIN 15.3% 10 19.1% 10-6 4.6% 10 -9.9% 7 0.8% 14
8 SEA 13.5% 12 6.9% 11-5 17.1% 5 2.6% 18 -1.0% 20
9 TEN 8.1% 20 14.1% 9-7 12.6% 6 1.0% 16 -3.5% 29
10 GB 7.7% 19 6.7% 13-3 6.5% 8 -1.1% 15 0.1% 18
11 PHI 6.6% 16 7.7% 9-7 2.6% 14 -4.0% 12 0.0% 19
12 LAR 5.2% 2 1.8% 9-7 0.3% 17 -6.4% 9 -1.5% 23
13 BUF 3.0% 28 6.8% 10-6 -7.2% 21 -11.5% 6 -1.2% 21
14 TB 1.4% 24 3.5% 7-9 -7.3% 22 -11.5% 5 -2.8% 27
15 CHI -2.1% 5 -6.8% 8-8 -10.1% 25 -7.2% 8 0.9% 13
16 IND -5.0% 8 -1.2% 7-9 -3.1% 19 2.3% 17 0.4% 16
17 ATL -5.3% 18 -9.6% 7-9 2.0% 15 4.5% 20 -2.9% 28
18 PIT -5.4% 9 -4.8% 8-8 -25.3% 32 -18.4% 3 1.5% 8
19 HOU -5.8% 11 -5.7% 10-6 0.4% 16 9.0% 26 2.9% 5
20 ARI -5.8% 32 -10.4% 5-10-1 3.8% 13 7.2% 23 -2.4% 26
21 LAC -6.8% 3 -5.2% 5-11 3.8% 12 5.4% 21 -5.1% 32
22 DEN -9.0% 13 -6.4% 7-9 -10.8% 26 -3.7% 13 -1.9% 24
23 CLE -9.7% 17 -14.1% 6-10 -4.5% 20 6.0% 22 0.8% 15
24 OAK -11.6% 31 -10.7% 7-9 5.6% 9 14.8% 31 -2.3% 25
25 DET -12.0% 26 -13.8% 3-12-1 -2.8% 18 10.7% 28 1.4% 10
26 NYJ -15.6% 25 -11.2% 7-9 -24.8% 31 -5.8% 10 3.4% 4
27 NYG -17.4% 15 -17.9% 4-12 -7.3% 23 10.4% 27 0.3% 17
28 JAX -17.8% 22 -16.4% 6-10 -9.5% 24 11.0% 29 2.7% 6
29 CIN -25.3% 23 -28.8% 2-14 -16.5% 29 13.4% 30 4.6% 1
30 WAS -25.6% 29 -23.6% 3-13 -20.4% 30 7.9% 24 2.7% 7
31 CAR -26.7% 14 -30.3% 5-11 -14.3% 28 8.2% 25 -4.1% 31
32 MIA -37.4% 27 -36.8% 5-11 -13.9% 27 22.1% 32 -1.3% 22

I know it's been out for a couple days, and I don't want to re-litigate the PFF piece, but the author was on Kevin Sheehan's radio show this morning, though Kevin was out and Al Galdi was subbing in.  I gotta say, it was about the most unimpressive sports interview of a journalist I've ever heard.  First, he sounded half asleep the entire interview.  

Second, his main point was "The 'Skins didn't do enough to surround Haskins with play makers so he's going to suck.  Poor him."

When Galdi asked what he suggested they do, (and didn't even bring up they were in on Amari Cooper and offered him the richest WR contract in the league), his answer was, "I really don't know what moves they should have made but they should have done something."  I mean, that's some hard hitting journalism right there.   

And he acknowledged that McLaurin looked really good.

Look, the 'Skins don't have the offensive skill positions like the Chiefs or anything, but they have some interesting young pieces you'd like to see coached and schemed by somebody other than the last group.  Jay had one way he liked things done, and Callahan was jonesing to run the ball 75 times out of the wishbone if he was allowed to.  

I'd like to see what a competent (we think) offensive staff can do with McLaurin and Sims, and I'd like to see how they use a bunch of fairly versatile guys.  Harmon might have something to him also.  We really don't know because these guys are SO young, and most of them performed at least somewhat well while being coached by one of the worst group of offensive coaches you're going to find in the NFL.  

So, we'll see.  Personally, I think the team has enough talent to be an average offense if Haskins plays well and takes a step forward.  If every piece falls into place, they actually could be pretty good.  If none of the pieces fall into place, they'll be horrendous.  

But I disagree with the article, especially after hearing the doofus on the radio, that the 'Skins have set Haskins up to fail.  He's got enough around him if he makes quick decisions and is accurate, they will be able to move the ball a little bit, I think.  

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It's so interesting to see the correlation between good offenses and team success.  The top 10 Total DVOA teams in the league all had top 11 offenses, whereas defense doesn't correlate nearly as much to overall team success.  And special teams is obviously even less correlated.

Just really hammers home the point that we should be committing as many resources as possible towards having a top 10 offense above all else.  Obviously, Dwayne is a big part of that.  He has to reach his potential.

This is a great post. I think when you look at the teams that are good in the NFL on an annual basis, it's usually on the strength of QB play, which of course leads to good offense. 

On one hand, I don't really see a path for our offense to being top 3 in the NFL.  Our defense is so much closer to elite than our offense. I think if we decided to prioritize the defense, we are a pro bowl LB and CB and a FS away from a defense that could be top 3 for 5 to 6 years. It's so tempting to try to build that elite unit and if we really wanted to, we could get there in 2021. 

On the other hand, at some point, and with this secondary, we are not at that point, you reach the point of decreasing returns. In a salary capped league, you have to think about resource allocation, and we could probably pick up a ton of wins by adding a FA CB or two next year and investing the rest of our resources in the offense. Like the rest of us here, I don't love the OL. Unless Saahdiq Charles is unexpectedly good, we are desperate at LT and TE and still need more speed at outside receiver. 

Put another way, if we could somehow piece together an offense as good as our peak Kirk Cousins offense, with this DL and DC, we would be a perennial playoff team. That's not an impossible task. 

Interesting coincidence.  I just came across this article: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2895219-ranking-every-nfl-qbs-supporting-cast-for-2020

Now, this guy obviously doesn't know much about our WR corps if he's listing Quinn and Cam Sims as options, but that goes to show just how little respect our other receivers command among general NFL observers right now.

Ranking Every NFL QB's Supporting Cast for 2020

32. Dwayne Haskins, Washington Redskins

Wideout Terry McLaurin was fantastic as a rookie last season, catching 58 passes for 919 yards and seven touchdowns. However, the Washington Redskins don't have much else at the receiver position. Guys like Trey Quinn and Cam Sims aren't going to keep opposing defensive coordinators up at night.

Washington also lacks proven talent and depth at the tight end spot following the departures of Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis. Undrafted rookie Thaddeus Moss may have the most upside at the position, but he has yet to play an NFL down. Veterans Richard Rodgers and Jeremy Sprinkle currently highlight the depth chart.

Running back Adrian Peterson is a future Hall of Famer, although he isn't the same dominant player he once was. Derrius Guice is an injury-prone unknown, and rookie third-rounder Antonio Gibson is totally unproven. This group has some potential, but it isn't one of the better backfields in the NFL.

Dwayne Haskins could face competition for the starting job from former Carolina Panthers quarterback Kyle Allen, who played under new Washington head coach Ron Rivera for most of a season. Whoever wins the gig will play with the most underwhelming skill group in the NFL.

Opposing teams will be much more concerned with slowing No. 2 overall pick Chase Young and the Washington pass rush than either Haskins or Allen in 2020.

FWIW, Giants ranked 12th, Broncos ranked 10th and Cardinals ranked 7th.

6 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Trey Quinn and Cam Sims are going to struggle to make the team, and he doesn't mention Steven Sims, Kelvin Harmon, or AGG. I hate lazy "reporting"

I also would rather they talk about us after the season than before it.

I haven’t read the article but it sounds like he read the PFF article (which was also lazy reporting) and used that as his source.

I get the questions surrounding the Skins skill position players.  We have nobody proven except McLaurin.

However what we do have is so hard to evaluate because of how absolutely horrid the coaching, including preparation, scheme and play calling has been for years.

We might have something, we might not.  It’s an evaluation year.  Ron’s come out and said that directly.  The quote was something like, “before we bring in any veterans we need to evaluate the young players at WR and LT.”

42 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I haven’t read the article but it sounds like he read the PFF article (which was also lazy reporting) and used that as his source.

I get the questions surrounding the Skins skill position players.  We have nobody proven except McLaurin.

However what we do have is so hard to evaluate because of how absolutely horrid the coaching, including preparation, scheme and play calling has been for years.

We might have something, we might not.  It’s an evaluation year.  Ron’s come out and said that directly.  The quote was something like, “before we bring in any veterans we need to evaluate the young players at WR and LT.”

He also said he wasn't going to chase "cheap wins." Why sign Peters and take reps away from Charles and Christian? What happens if either take a leap forward? Give Gibson, Sims, AGG, Harmon, et al a good, long look. I love it. I feel like we have more speed than we have in recent years. Maybe that's just me.

Archived