Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

It's tough to judge Haskins for several reasons:

His O line didn't look very good and all QBs play worse with a shaky oline

It was his first outing

Jay's teams start notoriously slow, undisciplined and confused. They never look sharp. Six years in his teams still look like they are starting from scratch.

His receivers were the third and fourth stringers most of the night.

That said, other than flashes of mobility, Haskins had a rough night.

The pick six was a nice play by the lber.  Bottom line, you have to develop a timer in your head for feather throws into the flats.  Can't float it there off schedule vs NFL athleticism.  The best likely outcome is that your pass catchers head is going to get taken off.  That was a learning experience.

The second pick was just a bad throw.  Tried to find a nonexistent window in between three defenders.  I think he realized his **** up as he began making the throw and that's why he ended up placing it so high and late.

He's probably going to throw a lot of picks this year.  That's OK as long as he evolves and stays aggressive.  I like the way he attacks single coverage on the outside.  That's a fun new dimension for the offense.

I agree with volsmet that it was troubling that we had so much trouble getting separation and producing easy throwing lanes.  Unlike Haskins's decision making issues, that's an issue that might not get better over time.  We don't have any superior talent in our skill group aside from Reed.

But the main thing that scared me was the performance of the line.  They were just awful. The run game looks barely functional and there just wasn't enough time for most of our throws to develop and the holding was out of control.  There could be something there with Martin.  And Bergstrom looked decent.  But none of our other depth guys inspire any confidence. 

I want to see more of Pierschbacher next game.  Given the lack of talent in our second string, I don't see why he shouldn't play with them in preseason.  I think he at least has a chance to hold his own, unlike most of the other guys.

Our tackle situation has also become untenable.  Losing the services of Trent so abruptly has ruined our line.

After last night, kids chance of being a bust is is high. His footwork is the same as mine and I havent taken a snap ever. He stares down recievers and what do you think he was doing when he ran, he did it because he was lost.

Now the facts, kid is years away, looked like garbage in the first preseason game against srubs...yikes.. then the fact Dan picked him, he will go through another coach...Dannyboy never learns!

I have to watch the game again before landing on a conclusion but on first glance I mostly liked what I saw.    You can see his live arm, he threw with anticipation, rolled from the pocket decently.  Showed off some sneaky athleticism. He seemed poised.  In his post game interview, he showed that he understood his mistakes.  I was discouraged by our depth at O line.  The O line at times looked atrocious including when Keenum was playing.  Maybe I'll change my mind on it when I rewatch it but that was my first impression. 

I saw some of what I did in camp -- good and bad.  As I mentioned he's a decent runner on QB keeps and they ran him quite a bit that way in camp.  He can make some beauty intermediate throws.  His INT on the wheel route spoke to what I said about him struggling on short out route type of throws in the flat which he tended to under throw.

I also said Haskins (actually all 3 QBs) threw a lot of picks in camp.  I do think if he had to play now, he'd likewise throw a lot of picks.   But I think we saw more good then bad.

I have to say though I am a bit nauseated about how the Daniel Jones-Haskins narrative has done a 180 with the national media but even more so the NY media.  It's been building for awhile.  When Haskins was third on the depth chart -- the NY media had fun with it.  This is after them building up Jones' camp performance and gloating about the mix reports about Haskins.  Last night, you'd think Daniel Jones was given the keys to the city.  At the same time NY papers were putting on twitter Haskins' INTs.  The narrative pretty much has turned on its head that the Redskins got the lemon and the Giants got the gem.    Heck even with Nate Burleson from GMF who worshipped Haskins -- this morning only showed the INTs and you can tell has lost some enthusiasm while the crew glowed about Jones.

People need to consider context.  Jones is less raw than Haskins.  He has more experience.  I think Jones is just a guy.  I am one of the biggest critics of the dude but still didn't think he'd be a bust, my thought is he's a marginal starter.  A Case Keenum type.  Will see.  I watched all his throws last night and only one of them to me was impressive.  Otherwise he played with the 1's (Haskins didn't) and made short passes and then left the game.  I watched Murray's first drive and I was more impressed with him actually.  Short passes with Murray too but some nice plays dodging pressure.  Statistically it looked like Lock had a decent game, I have to go back and watch that. 

6 hours ago, BayouBrave86 said:

The guy is our next Jason Campbell. He will be a bust and I hope I’m wrong. Just so idiotic to reach on him with the QB class coming up. Classic Skins. They’re approaching Wizards ineptitude. 

Haskins is much different than Campbell and is more talented. He also wasn't a reach at 15; most thought he'd be long gone by 10. Campbell was mostly viewed as a 2nd round talent (or later)...he was a reach in the 1st. 

3 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

I know it was his first reps in the NFL, so I am going to try and relax.

My beef was that he doesn't step into his passes and kind of flips them out there like he's tossing them to kids at a BBQ.

I agree, that's a serious issue and one he had at OSU as well. When pressured, his footwork often got really sloppy and the sloppiness extended to his upper body and throwing motion, which caused passes to sail and be off-target. In college it wasn't as big of a deal as he had an excellent OL that kept lots of pressure away from him and he could rely on his superior arm talent. He also wasn't faced with the consistently top tier athleticism of NFL level DBs so those off-target passes weren't as likely to be intercepted. He's going to need to spend a good amount of time on that. 

To assess Haskin's play you have to start with the basics here.  It is hard to be concerned since we were not playing our 1st stringers.  But I think the team came out blah, like all Gruden teams have tended to come out over the years. The other team had a lot more energy like it was a real game. Moreland should have been on their side from an energy, enthusiasm, play making perspective.  From the standpoint of enthusiasm and engagement the Brown's were winning as soon as they stepped on the field.  Both teams played second and third stringers out there the whole game. My big takeaway is that the Brown's have a lot of depth at a lot of positions.  The large amount of money and picks they collected paid off over a few drafts and a few off seasons.  Kitchen's is a big man with a big mouth and Baker yeah he is someone you absolutely hate as an opposing fan but probably love him if your a Browns fan and have lost as much as they have.  

Haskins can actually run which I was pleasantly surprised about.  And he may be doing a lot of that this year if he ever starts given the composition of our O line.  His footwork is horrible.  He does not plant his feet.   BUT that could be because I perceived him as having no time to throw because of the horrible protection up front. Yeah a  couple of throws got away from him because he relied on his arm due to the pressure.   Welcome to the NFL Dwayne. That is not going to work here. Guys are three steps faster.  

To make comparisons to any other QB's is premature.  So you see how it goes. If he sucks up the joint, there is a great class of QB's coming up.  If he is starting chances are we are sucking.  So it could be a rinse and repeat in next years draft.  

Haskins had a rough night but with the way he actually has the ability to throw the ball downfield with ease I’d still play him as much as possible. All 3 of our QBs will probably turn the ball over a lot no matter who starts. Give the kid the chance to grow. I wanna see him with the ones. It’s also hard to judge him because he was trying to make plays when Kidsy and Flanagan were his top options. Let’s get serious here. I’d start him against Cincinnati.

31 minutes ago, Gibbs828791 said:

After last night, kids chance of being a bust is is high. His footwork is the same as mine and I havent taken a snap ever. He stares down recievers and what do you think he was doing when he ran, he did it because he was lost.

Now the facts, kid is years away, looked like garbage in the first preseason game against srubs...yikes.. then the fact Dan picked him, he will go through another coach...Dannyboy never learns!

Haskins probably isn’t going to be a good NFL quarterback, for two main reasons:

One, the Skins organization is notoriously dysfunctional and it’s not a great place to develop a young QB.

Two, quite simply, statistically MOST QBs drafted in the first round don’t turn out to be good NFL quarterbacks. There’s just not a particularly high hit rate at that position because so much goes into making a player successful. 

I don’t think last night changed anything. He has the exact same odds now that he did when we drafted him... and last night he showed exactly what I expected him to: he’s got a lot of talent, and he needs time to learn and perfect his craft. 

From my point of view, which wasn't fully engaged...

Everything he did poorly, was coachable.  The things that aren't coachable, he had.  Big, strong arm, poised in the pocket, and even a bit faster on the run than the college tape.  The footwork that led to some poor throws, that's coachable.  Finding and reacting to the blitz, coachable.

So yeah, it seems a lot of folks are getting up in arms over nothing.  But at the same time, everyone here is lying if they say they didn't wish he marched the team right down for 7 and looked like a boss from jump, as some of the other rooks did.

Theismann's point about his footwork was on display last night.  Basically all the bad throws seem to have bad footwork associated and just trying to fling it around.  So that's probably should be a point of emphasis in practice.  It's coachable though.

I do wanna remind yall of that preseason where John Beck and Rex Grossman looked like legit options. 

Realistically speaking, what makes Haskins special is his ability to manipulate the defense with his mastery of the offense. At least in college it was. He has not attained that mastery with the Redskins, and hes looking like a rookie without it. Thats ok for now. 

Lets get him a few off-seasons as a starter before we drop him (snickers) 

He's green, which is probably partly why he fell all the way to where the Redskins could draft him. He needs to play a lot in the preseason, even if he isn't the starter in Week 1. If we're not seeing measurable progress in his skillset over four preseason games then you begin to worry. But my goodness, it's extremely silly to write him off after one week of preseason. With this line, it's probably best not to throw him to the wolves in Week 1, anyway...

1 hour ago, CaptainJames2004 said:

Did Harmon and McLaurin play at all? (I didn't watch much of the 3rd quarter and none of the 4th)

I don't remember seeing McLaurin, but Harmon got into the game with the third string.

I'm a little disappointed that Harmon is so low on the depth chart.  I want to see him as the back up big slot this year behind Quinn.  But if he's third string, it's going to be an uphill battle to make the 53 man roster.

12 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I was so exhausted last night i passed out before halftime, anyway, was the second Haskins pick as bad as the first one ? I still haven't seen it. I'm not ready to make any real judgments against a rookie QB because of one or two terrible interceptions in his first NFL game. 

I felt like it was worse personally but ill leave that to the smart folk here to confirm or deny. 

I did, however, bring you this. 

also @Skinsinparadise you said you wannted to watch it again. This is the best I got 

Based on all the reports from camp I'm pretty sure the WR depth chart is.

#1. P Rich

#2 Terry

#3 Doctson

#4 C Simms - 1 catch on 2 passes

Slot Quinn -  1 catch on 1 pass

Let's see what happens when we get our best players in there with our starting O line.  It has to make a difference.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was discouraged by our depth at O line.  The O line at times looked atrocious including when Keenum was playing.  Maybe I'll change my mind on it when I rewatch it but that was my first impression.  

Me too.  It looks like the worst part of the team by far, although receiver doesn't look good either and the secondary is soft.

They couldn't get any runs blocked in the first half.  There was pressure up the middle throughout the game and the left side for the ones was god awful.  That back up RG Kerin flat out sucks, and both of those tackles Parris and Hance were pretty bad too.

Unfortunately this is just not a very good group.  This is supposed to be a 9-10 man group and we've got like four guys who are solid NFL players right now.

I'm disappointed with how slowly Christian has come along.  I have almost no faith in Flowers.  Bergstrom will do.  I'm hopeful with Martin although I don't think he'll be a good player this year.  And I'd rather see Pierschbacher back up the interior spots than any of the other guys behind Bergstrom.  Other than that, we literally have nothing.  This group is going to be a problem for us this season and our QBs and runningbacks are really going to struggle behind them.  And if Moses or Scherff get hurt, our season will be over.

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I felt like it was worse personally but ill leave that to the smart folk here to confirm or deny. 

I did, however, bring you this. 

also @Skinsinparadise you said you wannted to watch it again. This is the best I got 

He's got a cannon with some questionable decision making. Absurd to even be discussing this after one game, Im exiting this conversation 😄

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

It was definitely worse IMO.  It was a bad decision and bad throw.  A doing too much type of INT where he basically just threw it up for grabs.  The first pick was him getting fooled by a disguised zone.

Archived