Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

2nd interception was rough.  Couldn't quite make out what Cam Sims was doing on the sideline and if that was a better target, but there's a reason Flanagan is a 4th string TE and thought of as more of a blocker.  That wasn't open.  He tried to sky it so Flanagan can use his height to get open but that doesn't work when 1) Flanagan isn't that athletic and 2) it looked like it was still a bit of an overthrow.

Does Haskins throw a much better ball if Vernon Davis's speed or Jordan Reed's athleticism had been running that route?  Is Haskins the type of QB to make an offense work with blegh targets, or is he the type of QB to make good targets seem great?

Is this a thing?  A QB would perform better with say Garcon/DeSean against 1st stringers than Ryan Grant and Rashad Ross against 2nd stringers?

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Of course it was. First pre season game against scrubs. Doesn’t get more vanilla than that. 

Vanilla refers to playcalls and scheme.  Zone Fire Blitzes vs a traditional single A gap blitz.  Etc etc.

16 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Good NFL players usually come out guns blazing. Like Sean Taylor. Like Moreland tonight. Making excuses about steps and gradual improvement is nonsense.  Good players play well and get better especially in preseason when everything is vanilla. Bad players don’t. Haskins is not looking like a good player.

For a guy who had a 54 to 9 TD to int ratio to throw 2 horrendous picks and nearly fumble the ball on the sack against vanilla defense and backup NFL players is pretty alarming. It’s an infinitely small sample size but we’ve seen this movie before... 

He does have great arm strength but those picks were pretty bad. Far more likely a bust than not at this point...

This post is comical. He played half of a preseason game and you're saying be looks more like a bust.

Peyton Manning his 1st year threw 26 TDs and 28 INTs. I guess he should've been a bust as well. 

Drew Brees 1st year 17 TDs and 16 INTs. His 2nd year he had 11 TDs and 15 INTs. Another bust

Slow down and relax a little. Looking to much into 2 quarters. 

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

Of course it was. First pre season game against scrubs. Doesn’t get more vanilla than that. 

Vanilla is what you see in the sr bowl, clev ran more complex zones & blitzes than DH has ever seen. On one of his completions DH threw a pass exactly where Clev wanted him, they faked a blitzer (taki) & doubled the primary they anticipated we’d have — Clev predicted Jay’s call & DH threw into it, but he was patient enough to wait for his man to open up... that was a more savvy rep than Clev would have anticipated... I guarantee their DC thought he had a pick-6 the second he saw the inside route.. but, DH saw it, waited, & had both the accuracy & arm strength to pick up a first down.

3 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

During pre-season baseball, pitchers throw balls in spots to test their limitations. QBs throw balls in windows to test the waters also (sort a speak). Admittedly so, Haskins had bad throws on the two interceptions. These weren't let me see what I can do against this coverage. Bad throws, plain and simple.

But hey, bad throws are a part of the game. And to that, its his first NFL game, he's playing with a lot guys he won't see in a couple weeks and he's young

Kyler Murray was nearly perfect tonight as was Daniel Jones. Haskins needs to step up and play like he’s a first round pick and NFL player and not a bust. 

Just now, volsmet said:

Vanilla is what you see in the sr bowl, clev ran more complex zones & blitzes than DH has ever seen. On one of his completions DH threw a pass exactly where Clev wanted him, they faked a blitzer (taki) & doubled the primary they anticipated we’d have — Clev predicted Jay’s call & DH threw into it, but he was patient enough to wait for his man to open up... that was a more savvy rep than Clev would have anticipated... I guarantee their DC thought he had a pick-6 the second he saw the inside route.. but, DH saw it, waited, & had both the accuracy & arm strength to pick up a first down.

That's probably the most blitzing I've seen by one team in there 1st preseason game of the year. 

2 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

This post is comical. He played half of a preseason game and you're saying be looks more like a bust.

Peyton Manning his 1st year threw 26 TDs and 28 INTs. I guess he should've been a bust as well. 

Drew Brees 1st year 17 TDs and 16 INTs. His 2nd year he had 11 TDs and 15 INTs. Another bust

Slow down and relax a little. Looking to much into 2 quarters. 

Most first round quarterbacks are busts. Haskins looked like he’s on that path. Obviously early but good players tend to step up. He didn’t...

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Aikman's first year - 9 TD's, 18 INT's

Aikmans's second year - 11 TD's, 18 INT's

Exactly

It's called development. I'm more worried about this organization developing a QB. Less worried about Haskins. 

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

Most first round quarterbacks are busts. Haskins looked like he’s on that path. Obviously early but good players tend to step up. He didn’t...

Bahahaha wtf there is no talking to some of you guys. 

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Jesus Christ it’s hilarious how much you’ve already written him off. Posters like you make it so much easier to stay off these boards as much as I do.

My biggest concern is... after watching some of almost every game today, only Miami’s pass catchers failed to find more room than our own. I’ll see the all 22 later, but it appeared that we really struggled to scheme up easy throws tonight.

Both Colt and Case are better QBs right now. With that being said. They both have 8 years or more in the NFL. 

Haskins has the arm strength and has shown accuracy. Proved today he can run and is mobile. Even though that was one of the knocks on him. He's also a tank and can slide. Let him learn for a year or so behind these guys and he will be fine. 

Guess what, even if he comes in after a year of learning. He's still going to screw up. He just needs to learn from his mistakes and not do them again. That is whats wrong with Kirk, he never learns. The great ones do and that's what makes them great. 

It was basically what I expected. He showcased the talent that got him drafted in the 1st round, but also showcased some of the reasons he fell. I was expecting an uneven performance and that's exactly what we got. Some flashes of crazy talent but some complete deer in the headlights head scratchers as well. He needs time and patience. But seriously, I really hope they have someone dedicated to improving his footwork; it was really bad on many occasions...slow and not connected to his upper body / arm motion enough (same as in college, but there his arm talent could mask those issues...not so much in the NFL). If he doesn't improve that quite a bit, it's going to be a major uphill battle.

8 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Both Colt and Case are better QBs right now. With that being said. They both have 8 years or more in the NFL. 

Haskins has the arm strength and has shown accuracy. Proved today he can run and is mobile. Even though that was one of the knocks on him. He's also a tank and can slide. Let him learn for a year or so behind these guys and he will be fine. 

Guess what, even if he comes in after a year of learning. He's still going to screw up. He just needs to learn from his mistakes and not do them again. That is whats wrong with Kirk, he never learns. The great ones do and that's what makes them great. 

Jay is going to get forced to play him at some point this year unless we are winning with Case or Colt. Which is quite possible with our D in my opinion, but if the season goes south and Haskins plays it’s not going to end well.

Jay will get fired and no decent new coach will want to have a QB forced on him especially if he plays anything like he did tonight. Then Dan will probably do a Hail Mary attempt for Urban Meyer and if that fails, we end up with Jim Zorn 2.0. That’s how I predict this plays out...

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Is Robert Davis supposed to "interfere" more with Mack Wilson's path?  Isn't that wheel route supposed to be open because the LB is stuck in traffic or am I wrong?

Doesn't change the decision to throw though, have a  beat to see what was unfolding and he still threw it.

I just saw his reps for the 2nd time & you were absolutely right, that was man coverage & an experienced wr should help our back shed the lb if the lb takes the route Wilson did, but if DH waits he probably has the back without any help from the wideout. I caught the coverage completely wrong live, you had it read perfectly. That’s just DH being a bit impatient & a really smooth play from Wilson. That’s a good looking late round lb. I’m going to watch the game from a better vantage point, but before I do, I needed to point out my error & how spot on your initial read was. Absolutely spot on, AZ.

54954A4A-FE2A-45E8-8182-3D6A3938BCD3.gif

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

You said he has great arm strength, that is true but hardly the impressive thing about his arm. It's that he has the ability to  drop laser dimes with it. 

I felt as nauseated as anyone at the pick six, and the second one was worse, but he has a hell of a lot more than arm strength going for him. I hope he figures the rest out. 

Thus far, having watched each snap once, Haskins has looked better than Lock, who I preferred. 

7 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

To make any concrete longterm judgement on any rookie qb after their first preseason game is pure silliness, to put it mildly.

If there are 90 billion total datapoints to an evaluation, this game offered .5 of those 90 billion.

We can't hear what he sounds like in the huddle, nor were we getting any audio from the line of scrimmage to hear his cadence.  I'm sure that's where Alex Smith will be able to help him for sure. 

He didn't read coverages well.  As he gets schooled in the NFL, you'll see the big guy sling those passes like the pick six.  He's a big guy and needs to rifle those types of throws to only where the receiver can have a chance.  Have to hope that throwing error gets worked on quickly.  

Deep pass to Cam should have been a TD.  If it hits you in the hands, the QB did his job well.  Didn't like what Cam Simms did in this game. I think guys like Doctson and Reed and possibly Harmon make that catch.  

DW moved around ok.  He's not a stiff, but he's was running for safety a lot.   However, I'm not as apprehensive to NOT play him because of the OL after watching him play.  Before this game I was basically saying don't play him because you're risking him getting hurt.  I don't feel that way after watching him handle himself.  Not a valid enough reason alone to sit him.  

Over/Under Odds in Vegas for starts in 2019 is 7.5  -120  

I'm taking the Over.  I think it's possible that he starts by Week 7 if this team is 0-6 to 2-4.  

1 hour ago, BayouBrave86 said:

The guy is our next Jason Campbell. He will be a bust and I hope I’m wrong. Just so idiotic to reach on him with the QB class coming up. Classic Skins. They’re approaching Wizards ineptitude. 

Reach what are you talking about. They did not reach on him. He's nothing like Campbell. Campbell had that slow long release and was slow. Some of you guys really are something else. He played 2 quarters. Relax 

Archived