Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

9 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Thank you, and this is especially  recurring theme with QB's in DC( well with the exception of Cousins ). Lets face it, Our QB's always get beat the F up & or injured which is another reason the more i watch Haskins the more I'm loving having this kid. He is massive. Looks like a tight end playing QB.  When Colt got the nod last year after Alex went down i really expected alot more, Yes he got hurt and thats not his fault but the fact we are even discussing a Old, often injured, career 2nd to 3rd string back up starting the year for us is crazy talk, to me at least.

Are huge QBs less likely to get hurt? 

8 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Listen you are old school like me, i see the Gary Clark avatar but sitting QB's on the bench so they can "learn" is granpa's football. Look at the Baker Mayfield fiasco last year, That kid should have started from week 1 just like Sam Darnold did.  In my honest opinion you hurt today's QB more by keeping them on the bench then starting them right away.

PM sat for a year & won mvp the following year. 

10 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Colt got several chances to start here: 2014 and last year. In all his chances here and in Cleveland, they ended with injuries. There's just no way you can build on, around, or next to an injury prone QB. He hasn't strung together 4 healthy games since 2011.

2 starts, 16, 3 or 8, the purpose of Colt/Case is to hand the team off to DH. If Colt is the guy who gets our offense in some sort of Rhythm, that’s what DH needs to take in, imo. DH having a few weeks to see what Jay wants from his QB has value, again, imo.

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

One thing would seem certain. There's probably gonna be a short leash, no matter who gets the first nod at starting.

Could be.  Some beat guys think it will be a lot like 2014 in that sense.  If so I don't want Haskins in and out of the lineup.  If they bring him in at some point, they should stick by it. 

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Could be.  Some beat guys think it will be a lot like 2014 in that sense.  If so I don't want Haskins in and out of the lineup.  If they bring him in at some point, they should stick by it. 

Yea, if Haskins somehow gets the nod, I would think he would have the longest leash of the 3. Because you have to be very cautious of all the ramifications of benching a rookie QB. Once you put Haskins in there, you're basically "committed", unless something really drastic happens.

It won’t be easy for a Redskin QB to lead the league in anything given the likelihood we will run more than 90%, play at a slow pace, not create turnovers giving the offense a short field, and none of our guys are likely to start 16 games.

Kyler Murray at 100:1 to win the mvp is an interesting line in there, but Fournette at 200:1 may be even more enticing.

28 minutes ago, volsmet said:

It won’t be easy for a Redskin QB to lead the league in anything given the likelihood we will run more than 90%, play at a slow pace, not create turnovers giving the offense a short field, and none of our guys are likely to start 16 games.

Kyler Murray at 100:1 to win the mvp is an interesting line in there, but Fournette at 200:1 may be even more enticing.

I've read that Murray is having a good camp.  He I think is going to be a super star if he can stay healthy.   Looks like judging by beat guys the two best rookies as for draft picks in camp thus far are McLaurin and Holcomb.  I had no idea who Holcomb was until we drafted him.  As for McLaurin, I recall it was me and one other person on the draft thread who really liked him.  And he had some tough critics on that thread.  I made a long post debating someone else on the draft day thread -- where i was ironically pushing McLaurin the same morning we ended up drafting him.   So heck if McLaurin works out then maybe it will make up for my mistake on Doctson years back.  😀  Fingers crossed.

Hoffman is going on right now about McLaurin being special and is having an incredible camp.  He knows they are high on Sweat albeit he's missed some time so hasn't had a full chance to shine at camp.  But good training camp talk right now going on 106.7.

When i was watching camp, Sims looked as good as McLaurin.  Granted though its not always easy to judge receivers purely in camp before they play in front of the bright lights. 

Edit: ironically after typing that post I stumbled on this tweet.  I wouldn't got as far as the tweet below.  But I think he can be a legitimate #2 type receiver for reasons I've stated in other threads.

Who knows what Murray's camp has been like, what the type of offensive install has been like.  I know what I thought the install should be like for Haskins, slow and methodical until he fully understands each concept vs this defense, that blitz, with this formation etc.  Haskins is someone who wants to drill one thing over and over and over again until he's got it mastered.

Instead, the coaches think throwing him to the wolves a bit makes more sense.  I read they've dialed up the frequency in exotic blitzes against Haskins compared to Keenum/Colt.  They want him to understand this offensive concept, leads to that one, which leads to another throughout the course of a game.  How they build off each other when defenses start getting familiar.  In college, Ohio State called one concept something like 15 times (against Michigan or MSU I think?) because they couldn't defend it and Haskins also executed it well every time.  That doesn't work at the pro level.

I can see the argument.  They're not starting him before he's ready, so they don't feel the need to have a trimmed down offensive install for him.

Compare that to Murray, who likely has that, and it makes sense.  Mastery of a few offensive concepts can be fine as long as the QB has the improvisation tools to still make defenses uncomfortable.  Dak Prescott isn't the pocket evader that Murray is, and is nowhere near the scrambler, but they had a great enough run game to still allow Dak in his rookie season to lead a basic offense with only a few concepts.

Haskins was born to be a pocket QB.  His legs aren't scaring a defense into putting a SPY on him.  Trotting him out there with only a few concepts that he's mastered, would still fail.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Re : not DJAX fast

If we're talking 40 time, I looked it up, and the numbers I found were identical.

They both ran a 4.35 in the 40.

Yeah that part is true.  And like I said I'll claim McLauren for better or worse because I was one of the few who touted him before the draft. I know all about his timed speed and more -- having said that the idea that he's a hybrid Garcon-D. Jax would mean to me that he's All Pro.  D. Jax is one of the best deep threats of all time and Garcon is one of the most physical receivers we've seen.  It would be almost like the perfect marriage of attributes for a receiver.  And while i think he will be good -- I am not going All Pro version of good.

I get the point about Garcon-D Jax.  McLaurin is a physical receiver who can block.  And he also is fast.   I think he's a more well rounded receiver than D. Jax.  He is more of a threat to catch balls all over the field than D. Jax.  But D. Jax to me is one of the best ever as for tracking the deep ball.  I don't think McLaurin's tracking skills-hands are D. Jax level.

But I do think he's going to be a good one.  I've been saying a #2 receiver type but who knows maybe he has #1 WR ability.

I recall the criticisms of him by some stemmed from lack of production in Ohio State.  Often receivers who emerge in their last year in college (without much prior success) fail in the NFL.  He also didn't catch a lot of balls even in his last season in Ohio State.  But I still liked him.   When I watched him, he was good at separating, making big plays and catching what was thrown at him.  

His catch % was insanely good.  Ditto YPC.  11 TDS.  And the dude runs a 4.35.  And he tested well on most metrics in the combine.  And his intangibles were talked about to death pre draft by draft geek after draft geek.    He wasn't one of my first tier favorite receivers.  But among the next group, he was one of my favs.   I think numbers can fool you.  you can focus on hey what happened in previous years.  Or just focus on total number of catches.  But if a dude kills it when he has opportunities and there are enough good numbers to tout and they are great athletes -- then IMO you take a chance on players like that especially in the third round and beyond.  Also, I weigh intangibles big time when it comes to players translating to the NFL.  That's Cooley's mantra about the draft -- find players who love football with big time intangibles. 

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Re : not DJAX fast

If we're talking 40 time, I looked it up, and the numbers I found were identical.

They both ran a 4.35 in the 40.

Difference is with pads on. Some guys dont lose any speed at all with pads on. Jackson is one of those guys.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've read that Murray is having a good camp.  He I think is going to be a super star if he can stay healthy.   Looks like judging by beat guys the two best rookies as for draft picks in camp thus far are McLaurin and Holcomb.  I had no idea who Holcomb was until we drafted him.  As for McLaurin, I recall it was me and one other person on the draft thread who really liked him.  And he had some tough critics on that thread.  I made a long post debating someone else on the draft day thread -- where i was ironically pushing McLaurin the same morning we ended up drafting him.   So heck if McLaurin works out then maybe it will make up for my mistake on Doctson years back.  😀  Fingers crossed.

Terry is a relentless worker & his combine speed show up on the field. Urban didn’t offer him early — TM camped & dropped too many passes so Urban told him to catch 200 balls a day & come back if he wanted the offer. 

To take that criticism, with plenty of offers in hand, then go get the offer you wanted, at 17... speaks volumes.

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Difference is with pads on. Some guys dont lose any speed at all with pads on. Jackson is one of those guys.

Terry can fly, he’s not DJax, but he’s a physical kid which will allow him to create problems in different parts of the field than DJax was willing to.

34 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

looking forward to seeing haskins play a bit tomorrow. NO INJURIES PLEASE! 

Christmas in August.

That 3 step burst after his stutter in the video above will get TM a ton of catches. He goes from half speed to full speed in 3 steps there. A thing of beauty. He looks so polished for a young guy. As Volsmet said above, the guy works his ass off and it shows. 

Well the Haskins thread is turning into a McLaurin McLovin thread.

But I guess it makes sense since the 2 have been inseparable and hopefully will continue to be that way.

It's nice to see a guy who has both a huge amount of talent, as well as a very high work ethic.

It's rare that you see both of those qualities in the same player, and to such an extreme. Usually it's mainly one or the other.

Almost as if the highly talented don't feel they have to work as hard usually, or the less talented have to work much harder

to compensate for their less than elite talent.

If this guy has both in high degrees, watch out.

We spent Tuesday at training camp and it’s clear that Haskins is a talented young man. If it weren’t from the learning curve, I don’t think we have a QB camp competition - his arm talent is that much above everyone else. I’m only echoing what everyone already knows but for me, seeing was believing. 

Side notes: Darrius Guice is a full grown man and looked super. AP moves like he’s still 25 years old. O-line needs some more time and Penn isn’t in great shape and looks old - worrisome. 

Post of the day candidate for AZebra.  MD with the runner up. :ols:

I think Haskins and a few concepts. PLUS McLovins chemistry can surprise some folks sooner than later. Yep I am getting sucked in to yet another fleet of rookie WRs.   They both played at OSU blah blah is the perfect bait. 

XL Cups do add a lot of weight

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So Penn is too old, and Christian is too young, according to some.

So how did Christian look to you ?

I don’t remember Christian being involved in the drills that I watched. Penn walked when other players ran and mostly limped his way off the field when the drills were complete. 

Archived