Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

7 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

I cannot agree with you because some college programs do prepare QBs for the NFL far better than others.  Colleges that run pro-style offenses prepare quarterbacks for the NFL much better than those programs that run simple zone-read option style attacks.  Cousins came into the NFL prepared for success in the NFL because Kirk spent 5 years and started 3 seasons running a pro-style attack.  He publicly stated many of the Shanny WCO concepts were nearly identical to the system he ran at Michigan State.  So even after far fewer practice reps during the summer and regular season, when called upon after the starter was injured Kirk was able to run Shanny's offense in Cleveland. 

There are a few exceptions, but overall college coaches are paid to win games not groom pro's.  In many cases these are not mutually exclusive, but the QB position seems to be the biggest transition.  Also, the games started in college are often not sufficient to adequately prepare QBs for the complexity and speed of the pro game.  Haskins has so few starts it is not surprising that it might take some time to be proficient enough in the offense to be effective.  That's why McCoy has such an advantage coming into camp with his multiple years in the system.  I believe Keenum is a better overall QB than McCoy, but his lack of experience in this system will take him a while to catch up.  I also believe Haskins skill set exceeds both of theirs and once he becomes proficient in the offense will clearly be the starter.  I guess my overall thought is don't be disappointed in Haskins performance thus far, he is going to be alright.

49 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I don’t believe the offense will be that bad at all.  Especially with play action.  We’ll be a better running team than passing almost certainly.

Hand off hand off hand off play action to reed field goal..maybe td..defense off the field after third down 

QB Battle – It was an ugly, ugly day for all three quarterbacks culminating in a poor two-minute drill. Case Keenum and Colt McCoy both got intercepted. McCoy was picked off by Landon Collinsacross the middle while Keenum’s interception came on a full disaster of a play. He chose to run on a play following a spike, meaning they needed to hurry up again. The snap came before the Redskins were lined up, so there was a flag on the play before Keenum threw right into the hands of LB DJ Blunt. A trifecta of mistakes.

Dwayne Haskins’ accuracy was a problem for him on Sunday, misfiring far more than he had in previous practices. This includes the two-minute drill which ended with him scrambling and the coaches blowing the period dead.

All three QBs threw into traffic far too many times. Collins and Montae Nicholson both pulled up on plays where they could have walloped receivers. Haskins has been doing it since the spring, but the veterans are supposed to know better and keep receivers safe. This has to stop before the Skins' first preseason game Thursday, Aug. 8 in Cleveland.

Big plays can sometimes be a redeeming quality, but it wasn’t meant to be for them in that period either. The coaches dialed up some deep shots in the first team period. McCoy had Terry McLaurinopen passed Jimmy Moreland and threw an absolute duck that at least drew a pass interference flag. Keenum threw a terrific ball with anticipation on a double move to Robert Davis but overthrew him by a few yards. Haskins didn’t make anything particularly special happen during that period of practice either.

Running Game Saves the Day – The only thing that saved the day for the offense was the running game, which had a couple of huge gash plays early in practice. Derrius Guice had a few great carries and has really looked sharp the last couple of days. Byron Marshall and Samaje Perinewent back to back on huge cutback runs as well in the first team period.

The is going to be a running football team, so the running game being good should feel really good. It’s always hard to judge in practice too because the tackling isn’t live and the linemen aren’t in pads, but today was as legit as it could have been. The backs got through clean. However, with the passing game being what it was, it’s hard to come out feeling good about the offense. 

https://thefandc.radio.com/redskins-offense-struggles-second-straight-day

6 hours ago, zskins said:

A 3rd would be ideal. He is starting to shine in FL as of yesterday so maybe Miami won't deal him at all. Things can go South for him in the pre-season. Will have to sit and watch how this unfolds though. 

As I’m certain you are aware, he’s in the worst situation a qb could possibly be in — a coaching staff of coordinators that have never coordinated, a HC that’s never been a HC, & a roster constructed with its sights set on Tua... heck, they already fired their OL coach, it’s brutal in Miami but the scenery should help ease the suffering. 

Seriously, neither coordinator has ever called an offense or defense....they make us look like a well oiled machine.

Rosen to udfa Preston Williams — oooof. I’m a fan of each, but that’s not a lot to get excited about. I wish, obviously, that we had traded for Josh, but I was just goofing around after reports of Colt, Case & DH throwing the ball to tents & dbs all afternoon. 

I hope DH is either incredible or atrocious.... be the guy to lead us to the SB, or the guy to lead us to Trevor Lawrence... nothing in between, I can’t take any more 8-8. 🙁

6 hours ago, wit33 said:

These kind of tweets are self serving and provide ZERO value. 

The next intelligent thing JP says will be the first.

6 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Win on field goals and defense.

This might have worked and kept us competitive enough during Gibbs II, but not in 2019. Even if you hit a hot streak with a stud defense it's too hard to keep all the pieces healthy and under the salary cap for long. For long term success, you need an elite passing offense with a stud QB that allows you to treat skill position players like replaceable cogs, and mostly pay them that way. 

5 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This might have worked and kept us competitive enough during Gibbs II, but not in 2019. Even if you hit a hot streak with a stud defense it's too hard to keep all the pieces healthy and under the salary cap for long. For long term success, you need an elite passing offense with a stud QB that allows you to treat skill position players like replaceable cogs, and mostly pay them that way. 

The best formula is QB + OL + DL.  You can weather change everywhere else if you get and stay really good in those three groups.  Market inefficiency at guard and DT too.  You don't have to pay as much at those positions despite how impactful they are.

if you find yourself set at those groups, then the next most important one is cornerback.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Craig Hoffman is saying Flowers is OK-ish at Guard?  I guess I haven't heard his name in a few days, which for OLine is a good thing.  Still skeptical though.

He has some disagreement on that front from Keim and one other (forgot whom) who said in a podcast that his footwork looks bad at guard too, is poor at pulling upfield, etc.

I've heard mix things from them about Martin.  Seems like most of the beat guys have said he was off to a slow start but is improving. 

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

How Haskins fares is what I call compelling, hopefully he's not relegated to playing against future UPS drivers for the entire preseason.  Colt and Chase, on the other hand - meh.

BFS, its easier if you embrace this season for what it is, don't expect too much and enjoy watching two lifetime backups battle it out for the starting spot.

I've always been one to root for the underdog and Colt is the definition of that, I'm hoping he does well and we leave Dwayne alone for a season and let him develop.

Just my 2 cents.

17 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

BFS, its easier if you embrace this season for what it is, don't expect too much and enjoy watching two lifetime backups battle it out for the starting spot.

I've always been one to root for the underdog and Colt is the definition of that, I'm hoping he does well and we leave Dwayne alone for a season and let him develop.

Just my 2 cents.

I've learned to never expect too much - but watching Colt vs. Case gives me Beck/Grossman flashbacks.

I don't dislike Colt and think it would be awesome if he found some zip and could play more than a few quarters without getting hurt.  Just hard to imagine that ever happening at this point.  I had a little inkling of a feeling when Alex went down last year that if Colt was ever going to have his time, that would be it.  No dice.

I totally get not wanting to throw Dwayne to the wolves given his supporting cast.  He's just the only guy I find intriguing and compelling in the QB room. 

So this happens a lot.  I'll be talking random "how's your team looking in training camp" small talk with fans from other teams, and when I say Haskins, Colt, and Keenum seems to still be an open competition.  They all say some variation of, "There's no way Haskins isn't starting Week 1".  What's weird is how confident they all seem about that.  I feel like I missed the memo or something.

Archived