Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, HoggLife said:

I just can't see this happening.  But playing the what if game.  You draft Tua. Id rather have the problem of having to find out whis better between him and Haskins then possibly Haskins being a bust and not having a franchise QB for years or decades again. 

Haskins plays this year..plays....decent..we still get the first pick....???

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

If we get the top overall, trade the pick for a kings ransom IF Haskins has shown he can be the man, and we know who his coach and playbook will be for the next year or 2.

If Haskins hasn't developed much at all over the year, no brainer we take the best QB out there, and trade Haskins for at worst what should be a 2nd rounder. Or, hold him and let him stew like we did to Cousins if we are only getting low balls. Wait until injury strikes, and act accordingly.

Man...I appreciate your enthusiasm, but with all due..ah **** it..ya know the skins wouldn't prepare for the future lol

Heh I thought it was: In case your mommas interested??

Oh and ICYMI - Haskins has a lightning fast release, WRT a lame duck injury prone OL ruining him.

This is required viewing for anyone deeply concerned about the well being of a 230 pound man playing football. c'mon you have 100 seconds

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000001020491/Soul-Science-How-Dwayne-Haskins-quick-release-strong-arm-translate-to-NFL

His average release time is .35 seconds....which ranks him among the likes of Rodgers; Tom Brady is at .39.  And he can get rid of it in .32 - .08 faster than the average NFL release time. I love the bit about speed of the defender factored in ~ the 1 minute mark.,

Thanks Randy!

Haskins is seems to have two different releases.  His normal one, and then another with a shortened motion he uses for the quick game over the middle.

I've seen it consistently enough it's not an aberration.  And I love it.

We talk endlessly about guys like Favre and Mahomes who can make adjustments and throw from off platform and other arm angles.  That's not Haskins, but he does practice to have a second throwing method in his arsenal that he uses.

He's not a natural improviser, but he'll drill doing something different for a specific scenario/formation/coverage/etc.  With a clean pocket, he's got a big toolbox.

Tom Brady is great but not perfect.  He's had seasons (successful ones) where he's struggled throwing from a muddied pocket.  They've kept him clean enough that the team could still go on a run.  Haskins isn't Derek Carr where he folds against all pressure.  Haskins will figure out ways, throwing motions, footwork to help even the odds against some types of pressure on some plays vs coverage.

If there's something he can figure out to drill over and over, he'll do it.

Since we talked about this subject here some.  I presume the point though looms large with Haskins this season and next.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/07/23/nfl-teams-hunt-next-sean-mcvay-redskins-may-have-one-kevin-oconnell/?noredirect=on&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_term=.6994176130ab

“What more does he have to do?” Ryan asks. “He will get a head coaching job soon, maybe next year. You better enjoy him [in Washington] as long as you can. He won’t be there long.”

7 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Haskins better not start a game if we don't have a LT this year. 

What if we don't have one next year. Or, we do, and then he gets injured in preseason week 3.  You are willing to blindly sacrifice:  a year on a rookie contract, a year for him to gain (much needed) experience, a year of an athlete in his physical prime - all out of fear.  I am not buying it; a good OC can mitigate the risks a QB faces.  We can worry about LT but guess what, our interior was close to porous for quite a few years there and it can return at any time.  RT may become a turnstile more than LT.  Callahan could firm up the interior, have his LT protect the inside which forces ends to go wide, and have Haskins step up. He can implement more quick passing.  "No LT" is not a helpless situation that should make you sit your potential franchise QB indefinitely.

And I want to see what we have this year heading into a deep QB draft. If we had a GM he would be interested to see game tape as well.

Haskins does not know about life with Trent.  I think changing playbooks is far more difficult on a young QB, vs changing his left tackle. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

“What more does he have to do?” Ryan asks. “He will get a head coaching job soon, maybe next year. You better enjoy him [in Washington] as long as you can. He won’t be there long.”

Huh? What exactly HAS he done? He's all hype at this point. Hype that probably wouldn't exist anywhere else, but we're the ones who let McVay escape, so. 

If the trend continues grudens coaching tree (despite rotten roots) could end up pretty damn impressive. 

I mean aren't there currently three head coaches who served under him?

For a coach that's never won a playoff game that's pretty shocking. 

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Really?

The better question is, what has he actually done?

When Gruden threw away the XBox controller and was ready to auto-simulate the rest of the Philly game where McCoy went down, O'Connell picked up the controller and asked to play instead. O'Connell didn't do all that well, but his QB had low awareness and accuracy ratings, so Gruden's going to let O'Connell play for a season before taking the controller back.

14 hours ago, redskinss said:

If the trend continues grudens coaching tree (despite rotten roots) could end up pretty damn impressive. 

I mean aren't there currently three head coaches who served under him?

For a coach that's never won a playoff game that's pretty shocking. 

Am I missing someone or is it just 2? LaFleur and McVay?

McVay is an obvious prodigy that we let escape probably only due to awkward timing with Gruden's own contract. It was too soon, really, to cut bait in favor of McVay even when he became a hot commodity. Awful timing, wish we had the balls to follow through on what we had though. 

LaFleur...I think that had a ton more to do with him being the understudy to McVay, despite being here first with him. So an extension of our previous prodigy, although I guess Gruden hired him first. But I think anyone young who's fetched McVay coffee is going to get interviews over the next few years, so again not sure that says much for Jay. 

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Am I missing someone or is it just 2? LaFleur and McVay?

McVay is an obvious prodigy that we let escape probably only due to awkward timing with Gruden's own contract. It was too soon, really, to cut bait in favor of McVay even when he became a hot commodity. Awful timing, wish we had the balls to follow through on what we had though. 

LaFleur...I think that had a ton more to do with him being the understudy to McVay, despite being here first with him. So an extension of our previous prodigy, although I guess Gruden hired him first. But I think anyone young who's fetched McVay coffee is going to get interviews over the next few years, so again not sure that says much for Jay. 

Yeah it was just two, Shanahan left the year before Gruden got here and he too would not have really been a prodigy of grudens.

But if lafleur ends up successful and maybe someone like o'Connell he'd still have an awful lot of ex assistants as head coaches for someone who never did a damn thing in the nfl.

I would like to see many more unblocked guys in standard drills. Don't wait until week 1 when we predictably blow a stunt and a guy is coming unblocked to see how our QB does.  Since the QBs in camp know they cannot be hit, I think putting them under heavy pressure regularly, is a wise endeavor to offset to the comfort zone we know they are in.

Do any camp junkies know if unblocked guys are purposefully brought? It's simply not realistic to expect that we will always get a man on every defender at the snap.  Let's force it; test and practice jail breaks.

I think that would prepare a young QB well to perhaps (one of) the most challenging aspects of their job. I suspect it is not practiced enough. Hell, bring 2 guys unblocked to really ramp up the pressure.  The world comes crashing down for QBs in the first quarter, quite often. Have that be a daily practice ritual.

Headed soon to the walk through. My quick observations for now from my own amateur stand point 

A. Derrius Guice has a ridiculous low center of gravity and great contact balance, reminds me of Emmitt Smith where he just darts by guys fast and he is hard to get a grip of.  He didn’t get a lot of carries but looked like a stud when he did. I was arguably the biggest Guice guy on the draft thread before we took him. My man crush is back in force. He looked great.

2. Peterson looked fast. Good dude too he signed autographs for quite some time including for my kids.  Took photos. Real fan friendly.  Haskins signed a ton of autographs. Guice has the rep of signing a lot but didn’t sign at all after that practice or if he did I missed it. Tim Settle was super cool, interacted with fans, thanked everyone for coming. 

3. Tough to make out who the best Qb was. It wasn’t to my eyes Haskins. It was close between Colt and Keenum.  Haskins though has quite the arm, it’s a rocket.   But he seemed to struggle some with accuracy especially with out routes including short out routes. He had some nice moments but he was up and down. Colt probably had some of the nicest passes among the three. That’s not easy for me to say considering, I am not big on his play typically.

4. Hard to put into words but Cam Sims looks so fluid, makes tough catches, etc.   He stood out to me the most among the receivers.   I know it’s crazy to say about an undrafted receiver but he looked like a star. I liked him before today but after today it’s man crush territory for me.

5. McLaurin didn’t have a big day but watching him he was good at getting open.

I ran into Bruce, looks like he is staying on the same floor as me, he noticed my kids wearing Guice shirts so he commented on that, we joked about keeping fingers crossed about Guice staying healthy, he asked me where we were from.  I’ll have to say Bruce was a charming dude and friendly more so this time then the first time I met him.

I’ll get more specific on these and other points later on, when am back at my hotel,  especially as to the QBs.

Edit: Reuben Foster just walked by me he has some contraption on his leg but otherwise he only had a slight limp.

Archived