Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like McVay and even liked him before it was cool to do so.   But what happened to McVay in 2014 where they just happened to be 26th in points scored that year?   The next year they draft Scherff, Moses finds himself at RT, they add Crowder in the slot -- they get better QB play (get a fairly easy schedule) and then the offense explodes and McVay starts looking a lot smarter.   Talent IMO >>> coaching.

I wanted Gruden fired in favor of McVay & was vocal about it. Awful example; 2014 was the year McVay moved from TE coach to QBs & OC for the first time, we were in the top 13 in yards & time of possession, but our QBs were abysmal on 3rd down & we lost a million fumbles. 

Scherff? Yeah, the 31st rated guard in the nfl made McVay look like a genius. 

Cool, indeed.

*Doing a few things ... but that funniest part of your post, Sip, is it leaves me to defend Gruden a bit, while you attempted to belittle McVay, who didn’t call plays in 2014. Just a brutal example all around... I expect better.

Your post is so odd that it’s nearly disorienting. 2014? What are talking about man. 

21 minutes ago, volsmet said:

*Doing a few things ... but that funniest part of your post, Sip, is it leaves me to defend Gruden a bit, while you attempted to belittle McVay, who didn’t call plays in 2014. Just a brutal example all around... I expect better.

Your post is so odd that it’s nearly disorienting. 2014? What are talking about man. 

And to add to that, McVay took an abysmal, boring, outdated offense and transformed it over night with essentially the same horses in place. Coaching matters. So does talent. And so do injuries. 

DJax and Garcon were awesome, but letting them go was definitely the correct move. It really is funny to hear people complain about relying on injury prone players too frequently only to turn around and bemoan the fact we let 2 over 30 year old WRs who have played 16 and 26 of the 32 games respectively with fractions of the stat lines they had here.

Tight End is the one position that I wholeheartedly agree is a problem and it’s laughable what we have done to address it. I like what we’ve done at WR, or at least understand the moves that have been made over the years there. And I suspect our WR corps is rated much higher after the year than it is going in. I think out of Mclaurin Sims Harmon Quinn we have some young guys that will augment Doctson and Richardson. We still are lacking a true game breaker but looks like next year is a good year to need one.

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

Jay Happened?

Savage. Rip Jay.

So you think with RG3-Kirk-Colt and that 2014 offense it would have been humming with McVay calling the plays versus just running the offense during the week?  

Better question if you had to remove Bruce Allen or Jay, which one would you want gone?

3 hours ago, volsmet said:

I didn't belittle McVay even a little so not sure where that's coming from?   Jay if you recall was criticized by some ironically for the McVay hire at the time considering his lack of experience.  The McVay is a future star HC thing wasn't some narrative that all embraced right from the start.

I liked the move myself from the start.  I liked McVay.  I can recall even commenting about how I liked how he handled the QB dynamic as to how he handled himself in interviews in 2014.  And recalling back then, really no one here was hardly even talking about him period.   And when people finally did kick in on McVay, i recall it was a mixed bag as to the reaction about him. 

As for what I was talking about is when the offense wasn't loaded personnel wise including when McVay was running it -- it wasn't that hot citing 2014.   I do recall Jay saying he'd call plays, I also recall him saying he'd let McVay call some too (I'll see if I can dig that up) and McVay prepared the offense during the week and from what I recall helped design the game plan.  And having watched practice before game day -- its a big deal running and designing that offense regardless if you are the dude pulling the trigger on game day.  I don't think we can just say it was all Jay in 2014.  That's not a slam at McVay but a slam at the QB situation that year. 

I do think McVay is better at sequencing the plays on game day. I've made the point on this very thread.  I don't think anyone here has made that point more persistently on this thread than me (or I have to be at least top 5 😎).  I've laid down in this thread in pretty good detail Jay's play calling tendencies and strengths and weaknesses using clips, stills and stats. 

duplicate

Edit:  sorry for erasing this post since it was liked after I posted.  I just reread it and came off too much like my post above.  And it was three posts in row.  So sorry about that. 🙁   The only main point i had in it differently from above is I repeated something i've said previously on this very thread.  i think Jay is a great play designer.  I don't think he's a good in game play caller.   I'd like O'Connell or whomever to call plays on game day.    If Jay or whomever is collateral damage that ends up costing Bruce his job, I wouldn't lose a wink.   The irony here is Jay is one of Bruce's big hires.  I can let that go using context but it did bother me initially in 2014.  

I hated the McVay hiring Frist!!!1!

No really, i was irritated to no end that Jay had basically nobody on his staff with any experience.  We didn't even have a QB coach for what seemed like way too long. Of course as he was trying to develop 2 young QBs.  IIRC he or Bruce finally caved, and hired someone on his offensive staff with a proper resume ft experience, Callahan.  Has anyone ever asked why we went with such an inexperienced staff?

I heard on Dan Radio.fm that whispers were that McVay was really talented etc but I dismissed it as pumping the tires of a 20 something with a thin resume to rationalize his promotion. Of course, it was a proper kick in the nuts to see him go and do well.  Only us.

So I’m watching the Ohio State vs. TCU replay on ESPN.  Wasn’t paying full attention because I’m also on my tablet.  And the first time I look up at the screen. Haskins is throwing a touchdown against tight coverage to the back shoulder.

It’s a sign!!!!! 🤓

13 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I heard on Dan Radio.fm that whispers were that McVay was really talented etc but I dismissed it as pumping the tires of a 20 something with a thin resume to rationalize his promotion. Of course, it was a proper kick in the nuts to see him go and do well.  Only us.

The guys who covered McVay including Keim who just doubled down on it the other day said where they can see the dude is special was his personality.    He connects with players and just a good dude that they respect.  Keim was just saying O'Connell is an interesting coaching prospect but he's no McVay.  The way he said it -- it felt like he was referring to McVay's personality.

Yeah I recall Cooley saying early on that McVay is special.  Like I've said I've been one of the friendlier people to McVay here and before it was cool to do so.   I might not have always been in 2014 (I didn't like Jay that year) but I do recall complementing McVay then and I also recall warming up to him fast.

McVays' playbook according to some especially Cooley is heavy Gruden influenced with a dose of Shanny in it.   Cooley sees a key difference in McVay versus Jay's playbook is that McVay goes for more quick rhythm short stuff than Jay.  He thinks McVay in his heart has more pure WCO in him while Jay likes to take more shots albeit Jay has had QBs who haven't been as aggressive with the ball as Jay would like. McVay supposedly also likes tighter formation trip formations more so than Jay.  McVay gets lauded though I gather the most for scoping out the defense play to play in the ear of the QB until the last second.

I don't know about Cooley's point about him being closer to pure WCO than Jay.  McVay seems to like to mix it up and used Kingsbury as a consultant.   Cooley also likes to say Sean's main difference with Jay is he calls a lot of the same plays but disguises them better with pre-snap motion.  

Would I take McVay as a HC over Jay, sure.   My main point about Jay is the dude does know how to design plays to get guys open.  Film geeks have said it.  but I've showed it for years on clips where my intention wasn't even to talk about his play calling but show QB play.  At the same time, I don't think he has a good knack for calling the right play at the right time. And I've laid that out too with stats multiple times.  So if Jay is designing the offense, I am more than cool with that.  But I'd like O'Connell to call the actual plays on game day.   I feel the same way with most coaches on game day -- they have enough on their plate IMO as is. 

10 hours ago, Vanguard said:

So I’m watching the Ohio State vs. TCU replay on ESPN.  Wasn’t paying full attention because I’m also on my tablet.  And the first time I look up at the screen. Haskins is throwing a touchdown against tight coverage to the back shoulder.

It’s a sign!!!!! 🤓

I just watched the same game yesterday for the 2nd time.  So another sign.  We are set.  😀😀     

Been listening to the beat guys of late on the topic, the consensus seems to be Haskins doesn't start but will see him around or before mid season with the disclaimer that training camp can change things.

I’m not sure there is an issue with more revisionist history than Sean McVay in Washington.

I must have missed all the posts from folks that claim they were all in on McVay while he was here.  I recall a bazillion posts whining about playcalling like there was for every offensive coordinator we’ve ever had.

Of course nowadays, we’d love nothing more than for McVay to be the guy working with Haskins.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not sure there is an issue with more revisionist history than Sean McVay in Washington.

I must have missed all the posts from folks that claim they were all in on McVay while he was here.  I recall a bazillion posts whining about playcalling like there was for every offensive coordinator we’ve ever had.

Of course nowadays, we’d love nothing more than for McVay to be the guy working with Haskins.

McVay and Kyle Shanahan both had loud critics from what I recall.   Now they are both in vogue nationally as considered among the best play callers in the league.  My larger point is I doubt McVay would be at his best with this organization.  Conversely, I don't think Jay is at his best here either.  I don't think it's some wild coincidence that most head coaches here seem to underachieve versus the past or how they do in the future. 

Personally, I don't love Jay as a HC.  I do like him though.   And I like his personality a lot.  Forgetting the play calling stuff -- I am with Ryan Clark who once said the most important thing for a head coach is their personality and their ability to deal with other personalities.  Jay to me is a good fit on that front especially with this specific FO.  And I am not exactly on an island with that point I've heard Keim and Finlay recently make this same point almost verbatim as to how I laid it out in the past. I think I am pretty balanced on Jay.  I've spelled out in detail what I like and conversely spelled out in detail what i don't like.  

I just don't see how you can look at Jay that easily in a vacuum.   There is a culture set from the FO.  The FO actually does shop for the groceries.  It all matters IMO.  And if were counting the days for Jay to leave, I don't see how I can feel that way without bringing Bruce into my thoughts.  That's Bruce's big hire.   And I'll give Jay's biggest critic on the board (who ironically hasn't posted in any of this discussion) he does from time to time agree that Bruce has to go first.   And I don't think all these Tampa connection hires is just pure random coincidence.  So if Jay is gone and Bruce stays -- its hard for me to imagine that Bruce won't again have his finger prints on this. 

I've been there and done that with the next sexy HC coming to town.  I bought into everyone of the hires initially.  Zorn was the funky QB guru who would fix Campbell. I worshipped Shanny for years until he lost it with me.  I was jazzed about Marty.  I was into the fun and gun with Spurrier.  I did think Gibbs return would bring back the glory years.  And yeah I did think Jay at least initially was the guy to fix RG3.   None of it worked out.  There was one constant for that whole ride -- Dan and most of it also included his lackey GMs who aren't respected around the league for the most part or so it seems.   IMO if we want to see if the next guy really has the goods they need a real FO behind them.  That doesn't mean these coaches didn't have flaws.  All coaches do.  But the best FOs provides the right supporting mechanism to help bring the best out of these coaches IMO.

Bringing this all back to Haskins.  I hope he has some consistency as to the system he's groomed in.  So if it isn't Jay next year, I'd hope it's O'Connell or someone who runs something that won't be too different for him to adjust to.  Plenty of QBs have talked about how especially in their formative younger years -- it's tough to zig and zag with different systems and coordinators.

Over-simplification can be dangerous, but at the same time, some problems boil down to a root cause. 

The Redskins play-action pass game looked bad in 2018, and if you listen to head coach Jay Gruden, much of that might have hinged on the ability of his tight ends to run block. 

Back in March Gruden opened up about some of his team's offensive struggles in 2018 and the coach pointed out that his tight end rotation varied greatly on if the team was going to run or pass. Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis tended to come off the field in clear run situations, while Jeremy Sprinkle didn't get many snaps on pass plays. 

As the season went on, that became obvious for opposing defense. 

"Your tendencies are probably through the roof when you throw, that's what we're trying to guard against," Gruden said at the NFL League Meetings. "We got to figure out ways to be balanced in all personnel group settings and make sure that's really what we're studying in the offseason and moving forward how we can adapt our running game to make sure we have the equal amount of runs in each personnel group with each person in that group."

Sure those quotes are a few months old now, but nothing has been done to change the personnel. Reed, Davis and Sprinkle populate the tight end depth chart, and it doesn't seem likely there will be significant change to any of the three player's game. 

Based on that, something else must change. 

The Redskins either need to adapt their run style to something where Reed and/or Davis can be on the field. Or use Sprinkle more in the pass game.

Neither of those options seem particularly likely. 

What could happen is less two tight sets for the Washington offense, and less dependency on that look. 

In his remarks from March, Gruden hinted that the Redskins could deploy their 11 personnel more often, going with three wideouts and one tight, instead of two tight ends on the field. That would require health and productivity from the Redskins wideouts, which hasn't happened in the last two seasons. 

In a way, the discussion of a blocking tight end is very much an oversimplification of the Redskins 2018 offensive woes. The team ranked 29th in the NFL in points scored, and obviously, that lack of production did not stem from one position. 

At the same time, however, the lack of a tight end that can run block and show up in the pass game creates a series of other problems. The team can't always run with their best receiving threats on the field, they can't pull off play-action because the run threat doesn't always emerge, and all of that snowballs. 

The little things add up in the NFL. Just ask Jay Gruden. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/10-questions-training-camp-want-better-offense-get-better-play-tight-ends

The key? Pass more if the TEs are negatively impacting the run game significantly.  Use deception. Jordan and Vernon can line up wide, and bring in extra linemen. And then pass to them out of play action. Go 5 wide, and no tight ends if they are telegraphing run pass, and cannot run block.

Sprinkle had something like 300 (400?) snaps and barely a target and of course no catches.  That is terrible, and don't tell me Sprinkle cannot catch.  A TE that cannot catch should be with all the other stone hands folks, on defense.

29 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Nah Jay, I don’t want to hear it.  More imagination, better scheme.  Put Jordan Reed out wide, flea flickers, half-back options.  It’s a GAME.

Listening to Jay and O'Connell this off season they both seem to have identified that they need to be less predictable via their personnel sets.  If I recall O'Connell talked even about running less on first down or something like that.  

It's the most open I've seen Jay talk about this stuff.  So maybe there is a decent chance he mixes it up more.  As I said in another post, if you follow Warren Sharp's stats, the offense tends to do better when they break tendency.    Having said that, i am not putting the TE situation on Jay.  It's weird enough that this is the most expensive offense in the league -- but the fact that the Redskins spend more on the TE spot than the rest of the league yet all of them are one dimensional is even weirder.

Belichick among others have talked about TE being the free safety of the defense.  That is, QBs tend to zone in the most on the safeties to diagnose run-pass.  And on defense, they often look at the TEs in the same way.  As I talked about here, Sharp emphasized NE's use of Gronk and how he was the ultimate weapon for them because he was a monster receiver and blocker.

I've been going over the offense slowly on coaches film.  They actually do line up Reed wide at times.  They put him in motion a lot or a least they did in the games I've been watching.   But I don't see how putting Reed wide or not influences the run-pass dynamic.   It doesn't really matter I think how tight or wide Reed or Sprinkle line up.  If either one is in the game its give or take 75% shot its a pass if Reed is in and 75% give or take shot its a run if Sprinkle is in.  I hope Cooley is vindicated with his man crush on Matt Flanagan, maybe he ends up the answer.   

On another note, I didn't catch the source but I was tuning in to 106.7 and I heard someone who knows O'Connell gushing about his brilliance.  I hope all that hype is on the money.  I recall last year many seem to be hyping Defilippo but then during the season he became vilified and now he's not that hot to say the least.  I think he's in Jax if I recall.  I am old enough to recall reading the articles about how Norv is an offensive genius and the Redskins were hiring the next Gibbs.  Granted, Norv was and is a good offensive mind but stunk as a HC.  I am intrigued by O'Connell but just saying the next hot shot coordinator doesn't always become the next hot shot HC.   Like i said in a different post, the people who covered Sean here rave a lot about his personality.  To be a good head coach (I guess with some exceptions like Belichick) having a personality that players respond to is often a key part of the soup.  Norv didn't have that.  Sean clearly does.  

11 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Sprinkle had something like 300 (400?) snaps and barely a target and of course no catches.  That is terrible, and don't tell me Sprinkle cannot catch.  A TE that cannot catch should be with all the other stone hands folks, on defense.

Even if he isn't much of a receiver I think they have to throw to him more regardless.   Cooley thinks Flanagan might change the dynamic.  Flanagan seems more of a blocker than a receiver type.  But apparently Sprinkle isn't that great of a blocker either so maybe Flanagan beats him for the third TE spot. 

to me the operative point in the article is the statement below.  He is not referring there to just the TE position.  I take the statement as being pretty direct that they identified this as a problem and plan on fixing it.  That's good.  I guess now we will see.    Sorry if this is a bit off track from Haskins.  But I do think the play calling will be a part of the dance this year and Haskins will be part of that soup.  Some say Keenum is more of a gun slinger type.  If so I think that fits Jay's style some so that might be interesting to see. 

"Your tendencies are probably through the roof when you throw, that's what we're trying to guard against," Gruden said at the NFL League Meetings. "We got to figure out ways to be balanced in all personnel group settings and make sure that's really what we're studying in the offseason and moving forward how we can adapt our running game to make sure we have the equal amount of runs in each personnel group with each person in that group."

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/10-questions-training-camp-want-better-offense-get-better-play-tight-ends

I am watching right now the first Dallas game, and just zoned in on the TE's.  Reed at times is the lone receiver on one side of the field, usually the right side or at least that was the case in that game.  Sometimes right at the numbers, sometimes in tighter than that next to the O line, once in awhile even beyond the numbers like the play below.

Just watching him specifically in that game.  In that game he was open a lot.  I get why some say that the issue was the chemistry wasn't there with Reed and Alex.  For example, he had one play with Reed was open in the middle of the field.   Alex looked at him but I gather since Jordan didn't look back soon enough, he threw instead to Doctson who was looking back and was closer.  That was one of Andy Benoit's issues with Alex which is from his film review he saw Alex as the type who wanted the receiver open before he threw and didn't throw with anticipation enough.  Looking at some of those Reed plays, you have to let it fly IMO before he turns back and looks for the ball.  Because he knows how to separate and get open.  

Couldn't help notice Peterson break lose for a potential big run but Reed lost his grip on his block and that player ends up stopping Peterson. 

jordanreed.png

My biggest issue with Jay is the 1st and 10 runs.  Like I said if I recall that tendency was mentioned as something that was likely to change -- if i recall O'Connell said it.  But yeah for example below.  Granted Jordan is in on the play.  But you got the receivers lined up tight inside the numbers.  And Alex taking the ball from center (give or take 75% of snaps off center are runs).  My biggest issue though is Dallas has the box stacked.  They are totally ready for it.  Does Alex have the ability to audible out?  Because this play looked dead from get go.   Peterson ends up losing 4 yards which I show in the last clip.

1stand10.png

petersonstopped.png

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

It's also possible that since Reed was lined up so far out, Alex's brain processed him as a wide receiver and promptly forgot about him.  :ols:

Post of the day.

Another GREAT tool for deception, is an all down back.  CT is great and pulls off some nice runs, but its hard to watch him running inside at times.  #Cringe. He points heavy to pass which aids in run ambitions. But, when talking about telegraphing plays, always consider the dynamic of a close to pure hands back.  I want to see more 2 back sets, which seems the new rage.  We are not good enough at WR and TE to always only have ONE back in the game.

If Sprinkle never gets targeted and is only a meh blocker, I would like Jay to consider a 6th OL a few times a season.

I caught APs comments regarding Keenum and Haskins. My take is of course Keenum looks better running the offense in mini-camp. He should as he is a semi accomplish NFL vet. I'm most curious to see Haskins progression in training camp. If he has closed the gap in addition to have superior physical skills well then things get interesting.

AP wants to win a bowl before bowing out. it should be no surprise that he doesn't want to witness a year of growing pains from a rookie QB.   I am not sure how many more carries he has in the tank but you know he knows the end is getting near after not being wanted by any team less than a year ago.

I think Haskins may surprise him and few others, given the chance. It's up to Jay and KOC to use him to his strengths when he is pressed into duty.  When the season is lost, sure, force him to do things he is uncomfortable with.

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

AP wants to win a bowl before bowing out. it should be no surprise that he doesn't want to witness a year of growing pains for a rookie QB.   I am not sure how many more carries he has in the tank but you know he knows the end is getting near after not being wanted by any team less than a year ago.

Good point. As a fan I'm hoping to have AP for two years. In year 1 the lead back splitting carries with Guice to ease the workload and provide energy in the running game. In year 2 spelling Guice in short yard and goal line situations and having an impact in the time share closer to 35-65.

Just optimistic fan speak.  I'm ready for some football! This is my time of the year!

16 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

Good point. As a fan I'm hoping to have AP for two years. In year 1 the lead back splitting carries with Guice to ease the workload and provide energy in the running game. In year 2 spelling Guice in short yard and goal line situations and having an impact in the time share closer to 35-65.

Just optimistic fan speak.  I'm ready for some football! This is my time of the year!

All sounds good to me. Speaking of a 2 year plan....

I wonder if Jay's dead man walking status has a hand in APs preference for Keenum.  I have said a few times that I think Jay may well be gone next year. If our offense is terrible this year, it will be hard to blindly promote OCKOC, who is the best candidate to keep the playbook intact and not make the QBs heck everyone learn a new playbook.  I think AP wants continuity and to close out his career here.

It may not matter who AP wants, without Trent. No LT no WR1 and injury concerns on the OL and RB.... it could get ugly early.  We get Trent in, Guice and Reed all healed up, we will be a VERY different team.

Regarding tendencies, perhaps the best thing Jay could do is on first downs line up proper Jordan Reed and Chris Thompson at WR for random games this year, or just random times in games.  Something more than motioning CT out wide 3 times a season. Try it early in the year so if it gets abandoned DCs still game plan all year for it.  It gives the defense chances to provide mismatches for Case to digest; don't be so static in personnel placement which causes confusion. Throw a big fat curve ball at big fat defensive coordinators. Neither will thrive long term lined up inside on running plays, and I think both may benefit from a presumed lighter physical load lined up wide.  There is no WR1 to bump so they may do as well as anyone outside.  Get ALL your best players on the field on first down sometimes, why not?

DC: CT is in the game, its a pass or draw!  CT out wide on first down in 1st quarter... DC scratches head. My game plan is toast as my prime tell is gone, heh.

The key will be the core usage of the other backs - notably Guice and AP.  I think both can be on the field on 3rd and 6 but for Jay it has been CT or bust in his time here.  AP caught his first TD pass or some **** last year.  Pass more to him dammit get our savvy vet back the ball in the open field.  I know minds will be blown but I do think Perine can offer enough of a run heavy look to aid in the passing game.  Don't discount just yet our only back without health concerns,  Perine points to heavy jumbo to a dumb simpleton DC, which aids in abusing LB's with play action. Short of dominant players across the board, deception is required.

Jay can show obvious pass (have both Reed and CT in the game) on 3rd and long and then run CT effectively, but we are basically waving the white flag at that point (cough draw), as the defense actually wants us to run. CT looks great and gets a smattering of applause, as he hands the ball to our MVP, Tress Way.

That is no way to go through life, son.

lpmmHLC.gif

Archived