Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

His position on Haskins and Lock are just about identical to yours.   You'd also like that he isn't a big Grier guy though he met him and likes him -- he thinks Grier is Rex Grossman. He's mixed on Josh Rosen, likes him more than dislikes him -- similar to my take and that means he copied me since I did my take first 😁 he loves his footwork but has concerns about his decision making.  

I might be feeling more pro Cooley than usual because he was sort of like Ledyard was to me last year -- in that my takes overlapped his a lot.   But yeah almost everything you say about Haskins, he's said similar things.   He had massive man crushes on Sweat and Risner among other prospects I recall you digging.   So yeah if you went back and listened to his draft film reviews this year, I'd think you'd agree with him on a lot.

My point here to others though isn't so much that Cooley's opinion is the definitive one.  But if you listened to his takes.  He is very detailed and interesting at least to me.  And comes off like he did a deep dive.    

Much obliged good man. I don’t see why anyone would dismiss Cooley’s take, he recognized McVay as a uniquely brilliant mind before the rest of the world ... Cooley would get a FO job in the nfl in about 8 seconds... if it took him 7.9 seconds to pick up his phone. 

Rosen is a bit reckless, but he’s so natural in chaotic situations at such a young age, it’s something I don’t recall seeing in any 21 year old NFL QB, not that there are a great many to compare him to, but to be that poised with that cast around him... beautiful. Change my drawls kind of beautiful.

200w.gif

22 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Much obliged good man. I don’t see why anyone would dismiss Cooley’s take, he recognized McVay as a uniquely brilliant mind before the rest of the world ... Cooley would get a FO job in the nfl in about 8 seconds... if it took him 7.9 seconds to pick up his phone. 

Yep he was talking up McVay before it was cool to do so.  I've listened to my share of film reviews of prospects -- I've probably heard every major draft geek on the planet on multiple podcasts.  Ditto the NFL film review types like Benoit, Cosell and Farrar.  And for my taste I think Cooley is more detailed and interesting than all of them.  My only criticism of Cooley in that regard is he doesn't dive into enough prospects.  He typically does give or take 20-25 players and that's it.    No one is always right.  Ditto Cooley.  But I'll say of the players he has assessed over the years -- his batting average is as good as I've seen.

And the dude is a savant of the Redskins system.   I had to kill some time waiting for a car repair months back and it ended up being 2 hours plus.  I sat and just listened to Cooley's podcast run down of 1st-2nd downs-3rd downs.  He did it all run plays, pass plays.  Short yardage.  Long yardage.  Tendencies like how they mix the duo runs to the strong side and weak side.   It killed those 2 hours fast.  It was fascinating or at least it was to me.    The amount of research time that must have taking was insane.  But he said he loves it and has fun killing half a day doing film study.  

I get as a player he was a bit of a clown personality wise.  But as a dude messing with player assessments and knowing this team's strengths and weaknesses -- I can't think of a single media personality type I take more seriously than him albeit I agree with the take as there is no such thing as anyone having the definitive word on any player. 

Cooley has said he doesn't want to put in all the nonstop hours to work in a FO.  But if he did, i'd put him in a position above Bruce or Doug in a heartbeat.   

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep he was talking up McVay before it was cool to do so.  I've listened to my share of film reviews of prospects -- I've probably heard every major draft geek on the planet on multiple podcasts.  Ditto the NFL film review types like Benoit, Cosell and Farrar.  And for my taste I think Cooley is more detailed and interesting than all of them.  My only criticism of Cooley in that regard is he doesn't dive into enough prospects.  He typically does give or take 20-25 players and that's it.    No one is always right.  Ditto Cooley.  But I'll say of the players he has assessed over the years -- his batting average is as good as I've seen.

And the dude is a savant of the Redskins system.   I had to kill some time waiting for a car repair months back and it ended up being 2 hours plus.  I sat and just listened to Cooley's podcast run down of 1st-2nd downs-3rd downs.  He did it all run plays, pass plays.  Short yardage.  Long yardage.  Tendencies like how they mix the duo runs to the strong side and weak side.   It killed those 2 hours fast.  It was fascinating or at least it was to me.    The amount of research time that must have taking was insane.  But he said he loves it and has fun killing half a day doing film study.  

Im not sure I’d be impressed by someone who’s a savant of a system that didn’t really work that well at all.

Cooley is entertaining and informative no way the majority on here don’t anxiously await his breakdowns. I value them greatly. 

I will say his preparation seems inconsistent, but is talented enough to “wing it” like many things in his life it appears. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get as a player he was a bit of a clown personality wise.  But as a dude messing with player assessments and knowing this team's strengths and weaknesses -- I can't think of a single media personality type I take more seriously than him albeit I agree with the take as there is no such thing as anyone having the definitive word on any player. 

Cooley has said he doesn't want to put in all the nonstop hours to work in a FO.  But if he did, i'd put him in a position above Bruce or Doug in a heartbeat.   

Cooley is a blessing to the Skins nation writ large.

Jay Gruden has the same inner clown personality, I bet he’s tried to recruit Cooley onto the staff. 

10 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Im not sure I’d be impressed by someone who’s a savant of a system that didn’t really work that well at all.

A savant in that he understands the offense as opposed to he helped create it.  As he likes to explain, McVay's system is very similar to Jay's.  Main difference is the sequencing of it and what McVay does pre-snap to set it up and he prefers the tighter bunch formations more than Jay does.  

But as to the narrative we got here from some that Jay is some incompetent on the offensive side of the ball.  I disagree.  I think having mediocre passing weapons and a paper thin offensive line which has crumbled from injuries has much to do with why the offense struggles.  As I posted elsewhere if you look at this offense frame by frame which I've done multiple times over the years -- guys get open in his offense and in a big way.  His weakness IMO (which I also outlined in a long post last year) is how he sequences the plays.  So hopefully O'Connell takes over that part. 

As Matt Bowen said (another dude who I like his film review when he does it which isn't often) the Redskins are seriously deficient in YAC because they lack explosive playmakers.  When he watches other teams he sees playmakers take a hitch and go 80 yards from time to time, etc.  But the Redskins don't do that.  And his thought is it puts tremendous burden on an offense when you have to march down the field just about every time methodically without having for the most part any explosive playmakers.   It's one of my concerns for Dwayne Haskins. 

I am still surprised so many have already written off the year for Dwayne without so much as training camp, and not even a preseason game. Assuming that 1 year off is exactly what he needs. I think 1 year is actually just a complete guess (it is, right?), and short changes both Dwayne and our coaching staff. You know, their ability to learn, and to coach em up.  How are we measuring those again? I hear he is a quick learner and student of the game.

What if it turns out he really needs to watch for 2 years, or 3... would that still be best for our perennial win now team. Wouldn't we regret that and be best off by trading him to a team that has an established QB, a drafting a more finished product in the 20 rich draft?  I am not sure we will have the cap room to get a viable QB next year so that 1 year guess better be right, because that 21 class will likely suck. Rypien was on faux IR for 3 years, IIRC, so old schoolers should buy in that sitting for 3 years and never playing our prized rookie is ok with them. He can learn everything in practice, oh except actual pressure of course.

I love to be the bearer of great news, but Dwayne may actually give Jay the best chance to win this year, shoddy footwork and all. Some seem to expect greatness from him in OTAs and have already decided his fate.  Case is great, but he ain't all that, otherwise Minny wouldn't have let him walk, and Denver wouldn't have basically paid us to take him. 

Lest us not forget, we have a new sheriff in town, Kevin O'Connell. Jay may just be much more of a pure head coach this year. The things OCKOC may want to do, may better fit Dwayne's skill set. That great deep ball, or tight window throws. Our collective WR skill set points to those to things, so Dwayne kinda seems a decent fit out of the box.

I think it is a mistake to write off his year based on OTAs. Talk about jumping the snap on a simple hard count.  Wait for some snaps.  If Dwayne is so raw that he cannot hand off 35 times a game/PAP, stumbles fumbles sails balls botches snaps deer in the headlights DOGs and misses wide open guys, we will see it in preseason.

And then, I will rest my case.

MetallicPartialDingo-small.gif

For those interested, Joe Theismann is talking on 980 at 8 am.  Some on the radio suspected, Joe's take on sitting Haskins initially is in part because he's watched all of mini-camp OTAs.  But who knows -- maybe he will explain.

For me I'd like Haskins to sit some and it has nothing to do with minicamp-OTAs.  None of that bothers me.   I think positive and negative performances can easily be overblown in those practices.  If we judged things by OTAs than Samaje Perine would be be the next Emmitt Smith.  Taylor Jacobs the next super star WR, etc.  

It just seems intuitive to me that a QB who is learning everything from scratch -- the playbook, protections, etc.  Ditto actually calling an NFL offense for the first time from the huddle.  Learning to take snaps from the center versus going pure shot gun, etc.  Dealing with the greater speed of the NFL game, etc. Learning to play with new playmakers.  That's a lot to put on someone's plate all at once.  And you can't really slow step all of it.  Even limited to some plays, it's still all new. 

The schedule starts off rough.  IMO let him watch at least 5-6 games. Study and game plan with the starting QB and see how they handle things.  I think it will help.

I get the point about tailoring an offense, etc.  But this isn't like 2012.  Haskins has the frame and makings of being a traditional pocket passer.   I gather they can go more shot gun and more spread than they typically do and go heavier mesh concepts.  But you still got to learn protections.  And from what some have said that takes the longest and is the most important thing for a young QB to learn.   

Defenses aren't going to limit their own concepts to go after young QBs and if anything they tend to get more exotic to attempt to confuse the heck out of them.  So you can't really shorten the protection element of the playbook.   I was watching Andrew Luck's film game review on field pass on NFL.com and he was going on and on about that even as a veteran the emphasis for his preparation is heavy on calling protections and that's what Reich likes to talk to him about subject wise more than anything else.

Joe Theismann's points on 980

He likes giving him time, preferably a full year to adjust where he doesn't play

He doesn't want to Joey Harrington him so to speak -- get battered, shatter his confidence early on

Talked up all the injuries they've had -- seems to be implying he's worried about the same happening again

Schedule really tough early

He likes is arm talent from what he saw, thinks he's more mobile than some think but worries about processing the system and the NFL quickly enough to succeed from the get go

The position requires time and development

He has concerns that there is a limited amount of reps in training camp to spread it around with multiple QBs

Preseason football -- can you get enough reps to prepare with all the QBs on the roster (with the first rep team)?

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Joe Theismann's points on 980

He likes giving him time, preferably a full year to adjust where he doesn't play

He doesn't want to Joey Harrington him so to speak -- get battered, shatter his confidence early on

Talked up all the injuries they've had -- seems to be implying he's worried about the same happening again

Schedule really tough early

He likes is arm talent from what he saw, thinks he's more mobile than some think but worries about processing the system and the NFL quickly enough to succeed from the get go

The position requires time and development

He has concerns that there is a limited amount of reps in training camp to spread it around with multiple QBs

Preseason football -- can you get enough reps to prepare with all the QBs on the roster (with the first rep team)?

Thanks for sharing this. Following are my thoughts since I am at least as qualified as Joe - in case anyone is not sure that is pure sarcasm. Le'ts be real I am more qualified 😂

I like giving Haskins some time on the bench but not a full yr. I like the first 4 to 5 games to let him see the process of getting ready without the pressure of executing. I do not worry about the "Joey Harrington" effect. That is all about mental make up. If he is mentally strong enough, a season of taking beatings and making mistakes will not hurt him long term. It will make him stronger. But here is the issue. What is their philosophy here? If it's the so called "win now", then you are not thinking long term so you probably either start Haskins right away or sit him until Keenum screws up and you feel like you have to put him in - or you may even put in Colt. But you have no real strategy on how to bring Haskins along. It's a game to game decision. If you are thinking long term, while you want to win, the main objective is to create and implement a strategy on how to develop Haskins. Kind of like a pitch count in baseball but in reverse. It's - Ok we let him sit these set number of games. Then see what he knows and how he prepares and see if he is ready to start. If not, then we go so many more games and look again. The Ws and Ls are meaningless to a certain point. But I seriously doubt that even if Jay wanted to do that (And in fairness I doubt he would at this point), that Bruce/Dan would let him execute such a plan. 

I think you have to be worried about injuries happening again. We still have many of the same players who were injured on the team - thank you Bruce. 

The schedule is what it is. And it's based on what people think teams will be. They have decided before a single game that a team that has been mired in poor play for several season (NY) is going to be great - and why? Mostly because they want them to be good. CHi looks to be improved and was good last yr. But it would not be the first time a young QB falls back in yr 2 of starting. NE will drop off eventually - is it this yr? Doubt it, but it's possible. Philly kept the wrong QB. It will haunt them. And who knows which dallas will show up. I think they will regress as dak is just not that good. But we will see. 

Agree about Haskins arm and the concerns, time for development and limited # of reps. All valid points.  

Preseason - This is one of the places I really do not like how Jay handles things. I would prefer he break tradition and play these guys. I don't care if it's again inferior competition. They need to play together. You need to get reps. And the fact is going into the preseaon games, all but about 3 or 4 positions are already locked up. They get a better look at the guys they want on PS. But this treating players with kid gloves like they are glass is jsut not working. Outside of last yr, the team has opened every season flat. And guys get injured anyway. I am not saying they play full games right from the start. But 1 or 2 series in gm 1? let them play a Q at least. Switch QBs every serious or something. Get them game time against someone other than Redskins. But that's just me. 

I am ok with playing Haskins at some point during the season.  The main idea on that front is for him to get some experience that he can build on and learn from as he heads to season two.

I think the tougher looking first part of the schedule though is a perfect window to sit him against some tough defenses -- Dallas, Chicago, Philly in particular.   So the idea of starting him against Miami or SF, am cool with that. That's partly because I plan to go to both of those games right now.  😀

I guess the danger on playing the 2nd half of the season is the O line which arguably help collapse the last two seasons once the injuries sit in -- IMO has even less depth than those two seasons.   The O line in the last two seasons in the home stretch was pretty bad.   If I had to bet on it, I'd say better than 50-50 that it happens again. 

Having said that if Haskins kills it in training camp and is the best QB, I'd play him.  So to me its all about context.  I somewhat agree with Finlay's point below.  I'll be at 3 of early days in camp so LOL I'll declare on this thread then if Haskins should be the starter.  😁

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-decision-dwayne-haskins-actually-isnt-complicated

Eventually, Haskins will be the Redskins starting quarterback. That could happen Week 1 2019, or it could be a year away.

Haskins wasn't particularly impressive during the team's minicamp, and veteran signal caller Case Keenum looked like the better option. Remember, though, real football is more than two months away. The mental aspects of NFL life that Haskins struggled with during the spring sessions, like calling plays and getting to the line of scrimmage in correct formations, are quite fixable. Haskins is smart and has talked about his commitment to learning the playbook. 

If that happens by the time Haskins gets to Richmond, then the quarterback competition will look much different than it did in Ashburn. And the 'Skins don't report to Richmond for another month. 

Here's the reality: Haskins should absolutely compete for the starting quarterback job. That's the minimum expectation for first-round picks. 

The important news: Haskins will compete for the starting job in Richmond. Jay Gruden has been clear about that.

Now, if Haskins doesn't win the job, he can't start. Politics or expectations can't push him into the top spot, no matter what pressure might be applied. 

Football players improve, often dramatically, over the summer. Haskins has all the physical talent needed to take the QB1 spot. He just needs to learn the speed of the NFL, which is challenging, and the depth of the offensive system, which is daunting. 

It's entirely possible Haskins does not win the Redskins starting quarterback job. In fact, it's probable he doesn't, by Week 1 anyway. 

But the notion that he can't start because of a difficult early portion of the schedule is crazy. If Haskins is the best option to win games, Gruden is obligated to give his team the best chance to win a game, regardless of an opponent. 

19 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Preseason - This is one of the places I really do not like how Jay handles things. I would prefer he break tradition and play these guys. I don't care if it's again inferior competition. They need to play together. You need to get reps.

I agree I criticized him too last year for the same thing.  Shanny was exactly the same way.  And Jay has plenty of company on this front and I get concerns for injury considering this team's recent history on it.  But IMO you got to take that chance.   The last two times they faced Philly on opening day they seemed a heck of a lot more ready than the Redskins were.

I heard Craig Hoffman on 106.7 this morning.  He said that there is a legit chance that Haskins could beat Keenum straight up (and without it being dictated from the front office/owner).  He mentioned that in the spring practices he saw, there are some throws that Keenum (and McCoy) are just not capable of.  Keenum, he guesses IS ahead, based on his experience, but is not a “world beater” and separation between the two is not insurmountable for Haskins.  I believe that Hoffman is still leaning toward Keenum will win the job, but that you can’t REALLY know until training camp/preseason.  So, like most, expecting Keenum will start week 1, but Hoffman hedges it by indicating that Haskins winning the job is not impossible.

My general take is I don't care who wins the QB job. All I want is what's best for Haskins in the long run.  Hoffman's position isn't unusual.  Most are saying a variation of Haskins looks more talented -- Keenum looks more ready.  

Cooley's comments which I've probably over the top defended here really was more about suggesting that Keenum isn't blowing anyone away than anything else.  That's why some including JP Finlay are saying don't count out Colt in the Qb competion. 

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley's comments which I've probably over the top defended here really was more about suggesting that Keenum isn't blowing anyone away than anything else.  That's why some including JP Finlay are saying don't count out Colt in the Qb competion. 

Oh yeah, I'm with you too, SIP.  I appreciate how you keep track of all the beat guys, and share with the board.... Haha, I think I discount Colt, because anytime he does start, he always gets hurt.

1 hour ago, Enforcer_FFX said:

I heard Craig Hoffman on 106.7 this morning.  He said that there is a legit chance that Haskins could beat Keenum straight up (and without it being dictated from the front office/owner).  He mentioned that in the spring practices he saw, there are some throws that Keenum (and McCoy) are just not capable of.  Keenum, he guesses IS ahead, based on his experience, but is not a “world beater” and separation between the two is not insurmountable for Haskins.  I believe that Hoffman is still leaning toward Keenum will win the job, but that you can’t REALLY know until training camp/preseason.  So, like most, expecting Keenum will start week 1, but Hoffman hedges it by indicating that Haskins winning the job is not impossible.

Thanks for sharing that. I heard the tail end of the interview, but had no idea who they were speaking to.

It is easy to predict Case would look better early.  I wonder, what does QB grooming in week 1 typically entail. Let Haskins throw naturally and get a solid feel for his current game, or start immediately correcting mechanics, or maybe just mention the big things that need work, and let him focus on learning plays and terminology.... all of the above? Depending on what Haskins was asked to do in OTAs heavily influences the spread we see between he and Case.

Case should be able to stave off Haskins early on based on vet prowess alone; avoiding risky throws aka INTs, doing what the coach asks, but the kid has to play and its just a matter of when. If Jay waits until Haskins has mastered his footwork and Jay's playbook, Jay will likely be long gone.

If the team does well early in the year, maybe Jay gets a mid season extension which I think provides a MUCH better development path for Dwayne. I want to avoid the playbook and coaching turnstile. I think a consistent learning environment for a new CUBE is as important as the famous start week 1 vs. sit a year argument.

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I think it is a mistake to write off his year based on OTAs. Talk about jumping the snap on a simple hard count.  Wait for some snaps.  If Dwayne is so raw that he cannot hand off 35 times a game/PAP, stumbles fumbles sails balls botches snaps deer in the headlights DOGs and misses wide open guys, we will see it in preseason.

And then, I will rest my case.

I’m not writing him off, the OTA’s were exactly what they were always going to be, those strengths & weaknesses are all over his film. All I want now is to see him protected so he had a legitimate opportunity to grow.

1 hour ago, Enforcer_FFX said:

So, like most, expecting Keenum will start week 1, but Hoffman hedges it by indicating that Haskins winning the job is not impossible.

A month ago it seemed most thought DH would be the week one starter, certainly that was the case on the ES. I don’t think DH can beat out Case by week 1, but, as you alluded to, if DH is the one option that can threaten the deep part of the field, he becomes the option that creates more room for everyone on the offense. Of course, he’d have to prove he can do it, but it only takes a couple big throws, without egregious mistakes, to produce more value than 10 dump offs followed by punts.

19 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I’m not writing him off, the OTA’s were exactly what they were always going to be, those strengths & weaknesses are all over his film. All I want now is to see him protected so he had a legitimate opportunity to grow.

Sounds good to me. Protection is key. Had we taken Murray, yeah bye bye Trent and no worries. But we probably drafted the QB that needs Trent the most.  My desire to see Haskins aside, we just need a left tackle, dammit. Trotting Flowers out there wasn't funny.  Sweat oozing confidence probably feels like he is going to get 20 sacks this year.

It was kind of telling to see we put in a waiver claim on a tackle. Of course we whiffed.  Bruce was forced into showing his lame duck 2 7 off suit hand. He hasn't been dealt a better hand since. Our season could get ugly early, and it will be the exact opposite best time to try the new QB.

I keep saying there are many factors above Haskins weaknesses in play here. Jay's uncertain future, Jay in win now mode coaching for his next contract, Trent's uncertainty, KOC's play calling, which I think will be run run pass, run run pass, PAP deep FTW... If our OL falls apart again this year, that is not good for Dwayne. At all.   Haskins just needs a good safe consistent environment which will minimize his weaknesses tremendously. 

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's mixed on Josh Rosen, likes him more than dislikes him -- similar to my take and that means he copied me since I did my take first 😁 he loves his footwork but has concerns about his decision making. 

Maybe I'm misremembering, but you're being polite about his views on Rosen.  Unless I'm thinking of someone else, then "Concerns about his decision making" seriously downplays the criticisms.

34 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It was kind of telling to see we put in a waiver claim on a tackle. Of course we whiffed. 

Did we put in a claim on Harrison? I hope so, but I didn’t see anything after finding out he was picked up.

21 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but you're being polite about his views on Rosen.  Unless I'm thinking of someone else, then "Concerns about his decision making" seriously downplays the criticisms.

Depends on what leg of it we are talking about as to his analysis.  He on a bunch of the QBs did his initial take on the first games he watched, then he added as he watched more, he talked about it especially on appearances on other podcasts like Sheehan's, etc.

I don't recall him killing Rosen on the first leg but he was definitely mixed where he killed him as part of a mixed narrative.  And what he didn't like he really didn't like.  But he was the same on that front on other QBs.   I wrote it up at the time on the draft thread.  Loved his footwork-intermediate accuracy.  Didn't like his touch on short passes and he thought he had too many erratic moments in games.  He softened on him over time.  He talked about him some more I recall when the rumor was hot that he might come here in a trade and he actually liked the idea of getting him.  That's why my summary of his take was mixed but more positive than negative.

Cooley's take on some players changed the more he watched including Daniel Jones.

@HTTRDynasty posted this article on another thread.  Eagles beat writer about why the Redskins will struggle thus year.   Some of his points we've discussed here.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/10-reasons-washington-redskins-team-will-be-dumpster-fire-season/

...So, while Haskins may eventually develop into a good quarterback in the NFL (we'll see), it's not happening this season, with Washington fielding perhaps the worst wide receiving corps in the league (we'll get to that in a minute), and an offensive line with some serious concerns.

...The realistic best case scenario that Washington fans have to hope for in 2019 is that Haskins' will to live isn't crushed, and that he makes positive strides toward becoming a good quarterback in 2020, when the team can maybe find a way to surround him with better players*?

...In terms of average per year, Williams is the ninth-highest paid offensive lineman in the NFL. When healthy, he's a lot better than almost everyone ahead of him on that list. More importantly to Washington, they are absolutely screwed without him, as Ereck Flowers was reportedly getting first-team reps at LT in Williams' absence. It's bad enough that Flowers is even being projected to start at guard. Ask any Giants fan what happens to an offense with Flowers at tackle. Williams has extreme leverage.

Washington is likely going to have to give Williams a "Sorry we didn't diagnose that thing on your head" extension, which should be difficult for them, seeing as there are currently only eight teams with less salary cap space.

3) They have nothing at receiver

Washington's top three receivers are, um, Josh Doctson, Paul Richardson, and Trey Quinn? Yes? No? Well, whatever. Those guys have been in the league for a combined eight seasons, with 90 combined games played and 51 combined starts. To note, 77 (SEVENTY-SEVEN!!!) still-active players in the NFL in 2018 have/had more career receiving yards than the three of them combined. 

Should I list all 77, and make everyone scroll down this long...list?

...Anyway, Doctson has been a bust three years into his career, Richardson can't stay healthy, and while Trey Quinn showed a hint of promise as a rookie last season, he's a clear downgrade in the slot from Jamison Crowder, who left in free agency this offseason.

4) The only decent, sort of proven receiving game threat can't stay healthy

That would be TE Jordan Reed. Let's recap his injury history...

5) And yet, despite all the above offensive badness, it's the highest-paid offense in the NFL in 2019! Lol

Wait, that can't be, can it? Oh, it be. According to OverTheCap.com, Washington has a hair under $109 million dedicated to their cap in 2019 on the offensive side of the ball, just ahead of the Colts, Buccaneers, and Packers. Why? Well, they have a boatload of awful contracts: 

6) This feels like an opportune time to mention that Bruce Allen is somehow still making decisions for this team

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@HTTRDynasty posted this article on another thread.  Eagles beat writer about why the Redskins will struggle thus year.   Some of his points we've discussed here.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/10-reasons-washington-redskins-team-will-be-dumpster-fire-season/

...So, while Haskins may eventually develop into a good quarterback in the NFL (we'll see), it's not happening this season, with Washington fielding perhaps the worst wide receiving corps in the league (we'll get to that in a minute), and an offensive line with some serious concerns.

...The realistic best case scenario that Washington fans have to hope for in 2019 is that Haskins' will to live isn't crushed, and that he makes positive strides toward becoming a good quarterback in 2020, when the team can maybe find a way to surround him with better players*?

...In terms of average per year, Williams is the ninth-highest paid offensive lineman in the NFL. When healthy, he's a lot better than almost everyone ahead of him on that list. More importantly to Washington, they are absolutely screwed without him, as Ereck Flowers was reportedly getting first-team reps at LT in Williams' absence. It's bad enough that Flowers is even being projected to start at guard. Ask any Giants fan what happens to an offense with Flowers at tackle. Williams has extreme leverage.

Washington is likely going to have to give Williams a "Sorry we didn't diagnose that thing on your head" extension, which should be difficult for them, seeing as there are currently only eight teams with less salary cap space.

3) They have nothing at receiver

Washington's top three receivers are, um, Josh Doctson, Paul Richardson, and Trey Quinn? Yes? No? Well, whatever. Those guys have been in the league for a combined eight seasons, with 90 combined games played and 51 combined starts. To note, 77 (SEVENTY-SEVEN!!!) still-active players in the NFL in 2018 have/had more career receiving yards than the three of them combined. 

Should I list all 77, and make everyone scroll down this long...list?

...Anyway, Doctson has been a bust three years into his career, Richardson can't stay healthy, and while Trey Quinn showed a hint of promise as a rookie last season, he's a clear downgrade in the slot from Jamison Crowder, who left in free agency this offseason.

4) The only decent, sort of proven receiving game threat can't stay healthy

That would be TE Jordan Reed. Let's recap his injury history...

5) And yet, despite all the above offensive badness, it's the highest-paid offense in the NFL in 2019! Lol

Wait, that can't be, can it? Oh, it be. According to OverTheCap.com, Washington has a hair under $109 million dedicated to their cap in 2019 on the offensive side of the ball, just ahead of the Colts, Buccaneers, and Packers. Why? Well, they have a boatload of awful contracts: 

6) This feels like an opportune time to mention that Bruce Allen is somehow still making decisions for this team

I agree with him on Flowers being a problem at LG much less LT.  I didn’t want him here.  He’s always been a project.  A failed project.  But this guy doesn’t have a clue about what we drafted at receiver and our potential there.  We also should have one of the better backfields out there with AD and Thompson, and I’m predicting a very solid year from Guice.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To be fair, and for those unaware, he does this every year for all of the NFCE teams, even his own Eagles. He did the Cowboys yesterday, us today, and will likely do the Giants tomorrow (Eagles are always last). 

It’s a humorous look at how a beat writer of a rival team sees the other teams within the division, and most of his criticisms are spot-on, though he’s not 100% accurate in some cases - or I guess I should say he lacks nuance in some cases - but it’s supposed to be a fun piece in the most dead period of the offseason. 

Archived