Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Wow, either you're loaded, or Bruce humbles himself in hotel bookings 😃

LOL, nope but got some Omni hotel points so got upgraded to the floor near the lounge -- the hotel isn't cheap not real expensive either.  Booked it months in advance and got a good rate.  Bruce likes to bargain shop so maybe he got the same deal?  😀

I seem destined to encounter Bruce on this trip.  I ran into him by the elevator, then my wife and kids were in the elevator with him (I was downstairs at the time) and then ran into him coming out of camp but I didn't talk to him that time.  He had an entourage of like 6 people leaving with him from camp, none of whom I recognized.

On another note, I've seen Alex Smith multiple times, haven't talked to him though.   He's on crutches but he looks like he's in a good mood, chatting with players, joking around.

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

You ran into Bruce and you didn't take him out?  I thought that was a gentleman's agreement here on ES.  

Not yet.  😀  Feels like though he's stalking me, maybe he's read the Bruce thread?  LOL, as tough as I've been on him, I still am nicer than the national line about him.  They think he stinks.  I just say he's so so.  Not terrible.  Not good.   But like I say on that thread, if they reassigned him, I'd be fine with him.  It's Dan who seems oddly insistent on having non-personnel types running personnel.  Let Bruce run business operations.  Hire a dude with a big rep and scouting reputation to run personnel -- like Kyle Smith.  But I digress. 

But I have to give a rare props to him in that he approached me and my family twice in conversation unsolicited, he was very friendly.  

Back on topic, the quarterbacks.  Here's my amateur take of what I saw which people can take or leave but for those interested, here's what I saw.

When I was in camp years back I saw a ton of screens-hitches to Chris Thompson and commented on it on a thread.  That season they did throw a lot to Thompson.  My observation from one day of camp is that I saw a lot of quick out routes.  They were practicing that a ton.  Also a lot of tosses to the RBs.  Not so much screens but tosses.

When you watch Haskins in a vacuum he's by far the best looking QB.  When they do for example a drill where the QB just throws quick slants and in routes over and over again with hardly a pause -- you can see Haskins has a lightening fast release.  In that context, he has a faster release than the other two.  Also he can put some serious mustard on the ball.  One of the things that you can see in camp easily is velocity especially when the QBs throw back to back and you do apples to apples.  So lightening arm and quick release what more do you need?  In theory, not much.  But Haskins looks different when he plays against a defense and has a pass rush, then his release slows down.  That's natural I'd think because he is thinking about what he needs to do and a rookie has a learning curve.

For me just watching all three.  None of them really jumped out (aside from Haskins obvious raw talent) but Keenum and Colt seemed more decisive and for that reason crisper.   Haskins strength from what I saw are quick in routes, crossers, slants and generally throwing in between the numbers.  His weakness IMO seemed to be throwing out routes including short ones.  Every now and then though he'd throw a beauty out route.  He had a nice intermediate out route to Sims.  And Sims made a nice catch on it and Haskins ran up to him to celebrate the catch.

Colt seems to throw those short out routes the best.  Normally, I wouldn't make much ado about one type of pass but they threw so many of them that I'd gather its an important throw for this season.  Haskins seemed the most wild of the three with that throw -- in other words the least accurate.   Both Haskins and to a lesser degree Keenum seem to throw too much behind the receiver where the receiver had to turn back to catch the ball but couldn't really do much YAC because their momentum was back and not forward.  Colt seemed to have better touch on those passes and hit guys in stride.  Colt was on and off some too but he had two real beauty throws.  I saw on twitter somewhere that Colt said his arm strength is getting better as he ages.  I heard the same thing years back when I was at camp.  I'll say the same thing now that I said then -- to me I don't see any increased arm strength or if there is any to my eyes its subtle.  His throws still have that float look to them especially when he goes deeper.  Even Keenum who isn't known to have a rifle seemed to throw harder to my eyes than Colt.

I'd say watching Haskins including watching him interact with fans on the sidelines were I recorded some of that and will likely post that later on -- I'd say this:  his arm is actually even stronger than I expected.  Kirk had decent velocity on his throws.  Haskins to me throws harder.  I am bringing Kirk in because I've watched him in camp in the past and he was the hardest thrower I've seen up close.  Haskins jumps out to me more on that front.  And when Haskins shortens his delivery, his release is insanely fast.  His accuracy though is much better in QB exercises versus playing against defenses at the moment or at least that was the case today.  

I've seen the reports that some think he's faster moving in the pocket than advertised.  That's hard for me to say.  He didn't seem quick in the pocket.  He didn't seem really slow either.  I'll just say he didn't flash to me as for his pocket movement albeit I didn't cringe at it either.  It just didn't stand out to me.  As for him as a dude, I watched him for about 10 minutes interacting with fans.   He came off like a really nice guy, humble, friendly, he'd talk to whomever talked to him (not all players from what I've seen do that), he signed for whomever asked for his autograph, took photos, etc.  Most players from what I observed this camp so far and a prior camp don't spend time interacting with fans.   And kids that are at camp love that interaction.  So I give props to the players who do spend some time interacting.  Guice and Haskins were animals on that front today.  Guice didn't sign in the first practice but in the 2nd one, he signed for at least 30 minutes, I'll talk about Guice maybe later some more but what a cool dude that guy is, he was really chatty with fans.  He's more gregarious than Haskins but both are super cool in their own way and both spent a ton of time signing and taking pictures.   The others who spent time with fans from what I saw (Kerrigan, Hopkins, Norman, A. Alexander, Jordan Reed, Tim Settle, Brian Quick, Adrian Peterson)

Overall I was impressed with Haskins but at the same time I think I get why Joe Theismann keeps stressing let him sit for awhile.   He strikes me as obviously more talented than Colt and Keenum but at least today I didn't get the impression that he is better than either one at the present time.  I'd bet that time will come.  But if I was just watching camp today and based the decision on that Haskins wouldn't be the #1 QB right away. 

As for Keenum, nothing really struck me watching him except he moves laterally really well.  The best of the three on that count.  So I can see why people say he's good on boots.  He's also very decisive.    He looked quicker than I expected.

I’ll see what happens tomorrow but as for today Haskins was with the third team in the walk through.

6 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I heard that JHC has really bulked up.

How did he look ? Both performance-wise, and shape-wise ?

He did look bigger but otherwise I really didn’t pay attention. One of the things about camp is  you can only pay attention to so much.  On the walk throughs I was just watching the third team because that’s where Haskins was. The first and 2nd team was on the other side of the field. And I recall seeing a lot of Holcomb with the third team and don’t recall JHC so I gather he was with the first teamers so that’s a good sign. 

in both practices I was primarily watching the receivers and the qbs. So defensively I noticed mostly the cbs.

it was hard to miss that Collins is bringing some swagger. He and Norman and DRC all sort of strut around in that backfield and they talk.

Some other random stuff, I got in the elevator at different times with different players and coaches as I went to my room and back at different times.  Dion-Hamilton was chatty joked that he missed home already, Manusky chatted, real friendly but I knew he was that way from other encounters, Rob Ryan didn’t say a word, Richardson was quiet, ditto Sweat. Sweat is a giant. I know everyone says it but when u see it in person it’s very striking. I don’t talk to anyone unless they talk to me. As l said ironically Bruce was the friendliest so far.

My kids got autographs from Derrius Guice and it took awhile because there was a mob of people in front of them so I watched a lot of interaction of him with fans. That dude is so funny and charismatic that it’s off the charts. Maybe more than any player I’ve seen. If he is as good as a player as I think he is and you combine it with that personality- that dude IMO will be a legend here.  

As I mentioned, I watched Haskins for awhile in the same way. He is chatty like Guice. Someone brought up McLaurin to him and he raved about him. Forgot what he said.  He came off to me a bit reserved personality wise although a friendly version of it.  Guice isn’t reserved one bit, the dude might be the most outgoing athlete that I can recall.

The D line in practice has some swagger to it. Maybe I am projecting this but I watched them for a little bit and it’s hard to quantify but they strike me like they know they are the teams best unit. 

Thinking about it as for Haskins.  His talent is obvious but I’d guess Jay will wait to see more decisiveness from him before letting him start.

And IMO he needs to work some on throwing outside the numbers.  Like I said in another post they were throwing a ton of quick outroutes where the receiver ran up the field straight about 4 yards then stemmed out. It didn’t strike me in theory to be that hard of a throw. Haskins was at best hit and miss with that throw and Keenum and Colt looked more accurate.

From what I saw, you definitely need Trent or some decent blocking at this stage for him because even though he has a quick release which you can see in the drills, his release doesn’t seem that quick right now when he faces a defense. And the defense wasn’t even hitting really.  

So I think a real pass rush might give him issues right now.  That’s not a shot at him, I get rookies take time but just saying as of today based on what I saw I wouldn’t start him right away and instead give him time.

But that’s yesterday, I’ll see if anything changes for me today. 

On another note, I am surprised that Sims played with the third teamers yesterday in the walk through. But for whatever it means it was Sims and Harmon with the third teamers along with all the undrafted FAs.

Another note, Craig Reynolds, looked good. He is quick and has some burst.  Guice as I mentioned didn’t get many carries but looked good when he did. Peterson runs like a 24 year old not a 34 year old.  He looked good.  I had a hard time recalling Thompson but he was out there, too. Running game should be stacked.  Hopefully the O line doesn’t screw that up.

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He did look bigger but otherwise I really didn’t pay attention. One of the things about camp is  you can only pay attention to so much. 

Thanks.

I won't pester you with too many requests, but I would like to inform you of my own personal crush if you could look out for him, and post where you see him used much - Elijah Wellman. He's a pure FB and we usually don't keep that position. But he is a monster when it comes to blocking on run plays.

I am hoping it turns out he can catch the ball too, in order to help him earn a spot under the TE chart.

59 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Thanks.

I won't pester you with too many requests, but I would like to inform you of my own personal crush if you could look out for him, and post where you see him used much - Elijah Wellman. He's a pure FB and we usually don't keep that position. But he is a monster when it comes to blocking on run plays.

I am hoping it turns out he can catch the ball too, in order to help him earn a spot under the TE chart.

I just read this, sorry, just came out from the walk through.  Only two dudes braving the heat and interacting with fans post this practice,  Haskins and Guice.  

I paid no attention  to Wellman. Though I’ll say they are running the ball a lot in practice.  And the running backs are in space a lot.  If that’s a prelude to the season then maybe they do use a FB. 

Haskins seemed sharper today.  But nothing killer going on with the qbs at least to me eyes. Jordan Reed looked really good. Sims again.

i don’t see how the beat guys can have all these observations across the board because most of the time you have practices running simultaneously on multiple fields so there is so much you can encode at once. 

O’Connell seemed to be running the walk through today as opposed to Jay. I was watching O’Connell some. He is an energetic dude or at least he appears that way to me. 

Haskins on and off but more on, really nice intermediate out route just now to Sims.  A second later ditto to Richardson, they are running a lot in Qb drills rotating the rbs on each play.  They are also doing a bunch of Qb keeps, especially with Haskins and that’s been the case in every practice.

Jay is very vocal today.  I haven’t spotted a full back in there with the first team but a lot of TE sets. I am not in good position though to see the FB so maybe my eye isn’t catching it. I was in great position to watch red zone plays, I’ll hit some specifics on it later.

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Haskins really good today, poised and accurate

SIP, thanks for all of the posts. The thread doesn't seem that active in terms of posts, but I'm sure everyone is enjoying your contributions as much as I am. 

Have you been able to see much of Montez Sweat?

On 7/26/2019 at 2:38 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

My kids with Haskins 2 minutes ago

Damn, first time seeing this!..Great kids, amigo. 👍

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

SIP, thanks for all of the posts. The thread doesn't seem that active in terms of posts, but I'm sure everyone is enjoying your contributions as much as I am.

Completely agree.

I haven't been hanging out in this thread at all lol...I need to, missing way too much.

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I got a pretty good look at Sweat on Thursday morning.  I don’t wanna get things to hyped, but he looked every bit like the blue-chip/elite edge rusher we hope he can be.  Very impressive.

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Some as for Sweat, headed to the airport I’ll post when I have a sec on a bunch of stuff.

As for Sweat, waiting for my Uber just now and got a photo if him going to the bus to their walk through.  That photo doesn't do him justice though, up close he’s a giant. I was alone in the elevator with him at one point, I am average height and I felt like a midget next to him. Him and Moses both really stand out as crazy big.

Sweat signed a bunch of autographs yesterday, seems like a good dude. 

Kerrigan up close doesn’t look intimidating. But Sweat I can imagine just on size alone and speed will put some fear in qbs.  I zoned in on a bunch of players in practice, not so much Sweat. They weren’t really hitting the qbs so it was tough to focus on pass rushers.

they had exercises where the D line faced the O line but while that was going on I was watching the qbs and receivers who had their own exercises at a different part of the field.

EB343BE9-8F7F-4280-A227-99824809101F.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

You're leaving camp ?

Yep at the airport, I’ll either later today or tomorrow morning do a long post. I haven’t mentioned everything I’ve seen yet. I had a really good view of practice today. Overall I watched 5 practices.

as to your mention of Wellman yesterday, I looked for him today but couldn’t spot him.  Unless he changed his number.

I saw Flanagan in a lot and he alternated between full back and TE. Ditto whoever number 46 is. I also saw Ryan Anderson play a snap at fullback. I presume that means Jay might be trying to work around having a pure full back but who knows?

like I said they ran a lot today and ditto every practice, except for Guice who if I recall just got one snap today.     So maybe that bodes well for a FB but not sure.

But it if I were a betting man I’d say no FB. Saw multiple times them throwing out 3 TE sets.  So it wouldn’t shock me if they bring a 4th TE who they rotate at FB with Anderson.

When I saw Anderson come in at FB I took that as a bad sign for those wanting a FB. But I am just guessing as to what it all means so who knows.

Archived