Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Just listened to Finlay.  His take is that Haskins had a bad practice today.  He thinks though the flashes you see amidst the practices gives hope.  He went on that he was told that the Ohio State offense was really simple and it will take Haskins time to learn an NFL offense.  He either said O'Connell either told him or he overheard him tell Haskins (I missed the first part of his statement so I missed how he launched the point) that Haskins main issue right now is what O'Connell calls brain farts where he screws up the play assignments -- for example McLaurin is supposed to run an in route but Haskins throws an out route, instead.  Stuff like that.

18 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I generally don’t like most of the decisions Jay Gruden makes.  I don’t think the front office does either.  Hence their decision to curtail his decision making privileges.

If the front office didn't like Jay's decision making, you'd figure he'd be gone already as opposed to getting extensions, etc.   Supposedly Jay and Kyle Smith are super tight like two peas in a pod according to some who cover the team.  One reporter thinks there is some brewing tension between Jay and Bruce but still that was Bruce's hire. 

I mean the dude did break his leg pretty late last season.. 

I've heard so often that colt may be the day 1 starter.. or that haskins may be the day 1 starter.

You don't start a guy who broke his leg last year in December last year. 

You don't start a rookie with minimal college experience without him lighting it up and having the offense tailored to him. 

You do start the guy that you paid for in free agency, that is healthy, and has some veteran experience. 

It's the only logical choice.. it's also the only way we have a chance this year at doing anything special. 

34 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

You do start the guy that you paid for in free agency, that is healthy, and has some veteran experience. 

It's the only logical choice.. it's also the only way we have a chance this year at doing anything special. 

Poor Case Keenum. Gets traded for instead of signed in free agency and suddenly he's chopped liver. Good day for Josh Woodrum though. :P

6 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I'm excited about preseason, this QB competition should make for some compelling tv over the next several weeks.

Yes, and hopefully not tragedy, comedy or farce.  I'm eager to see what we have in Keenum and Haskins and the rest of the new guys.  Only a few days and we'll get our first peek.

27 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Whoever Jay feels will give team best chance to win should be the choice. Naturally, as players lean towards the veteran and tenured player it seems McCoy has the backing of the team. 

Colt can’t get it done.  I’m sorry, but we know this.  If we’re going into a game with that mindset, I’d rather lose with Haskins and get him some experience.  Or at least start Case and let DH sit for a half season.  I can’t watch Colt for more than a game or two.

You all realize that these depth charts literally mean zero at this point, right?

Often times, at literally any level of football, the early pre-season depth charts are usually just based on seniority unless the "starter" is so blatantly obvious that it doesn't make sense to play the game with it. 

When I was coaching in HS, we started all of the seniors in the first pre-season scrimmage. Only time it wasn't a senior was if there was an injury or there wasn't one available at the position. In college it was similar... Freshman/transfers didn't "start".

The depth charts really start to flesh themselves out as the close of pre-season nears. Lots of variables there.

But if people are looking into the depth chart - don't. That's not to say Colt won't be the day 1 starter. He could be. But he's starting because of seniority at this point.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But if people are looking into the depth chart - don't. That's not to say Colt won't be the day 1 starter. He could be. But he's starting because of seniority at this point.

I agree in theory but just by chance that hierarchy happens to match the buzz about how they are playing in camp at QB.  It matches my observation too from the 5 practices I watched.  And i hate to say it too because Colt is the one QB I don't want to see as a starter this year.

Having said that, there are more practices and preseason games to go. things can change in a heartbeat. 

6 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Craig Hoffman is saying Flowers is OK-ish at Guard?  I guess I haven't heard his name in a few days, which for OLine is a good thing.  Still skeptical though.

I was thinking the same thing.  Gonna be hard to spread those reps around.  

I think you can be patient with Haskins, while still being disappointed that he hasn't played as well as we had hoped to this point.

On a smaller level, I'm more disappointed that Keenum has played poorly.  I would've thought he might be an upgrade at QB for us.  

31 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Gonna be hard to spread those reps around.  

I think you can be patient with Haskins, while still being disappointed that he hasn't played as well as we had hoped to this point.

On a smaller level, I'm more disappointed that Keenum has played poorly.  I would've thought he might be an upgrade at QB for us.  

At this point no one has played they have only practiced, hopefully Keenum will enable the offense to perform better than last season when he actually plays and let’s give him a few weeks to find his groove.

1 minute ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

This is Colt's role to loose.  I'm routing for him..been a real team player. Prolly his last chance to be a starter in the NFL. With our running game..he doesn't have to have Elway's arm talent

and he only needs to throw short passes to Quinn and Reed to keep the offense goin, as they're both good in the short pass game, and good at evading tackles for big gains.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

and he only needs to throw short passes to Quinn and Reed to keep the offense goin, as they're both good in the short pass game, and good at evading tackles for big gains.

And Thompson as well..hopefully, we will see an entire season of healthy Reed and Thompson, which (in theory) should help elevate the production of the offense no matter who is QB. Those three plus a solid run game and a strong defense could surprise.

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

And Thompson as well..hopefully, we will see an entire season of healthy Reed and Thompson, which (in theory) should help elevate the production of the offense no matter who is QB. Those three plus a solid run game and a strong defense could surprise.

I agree but the O line can potentially unravel this.  For me I think the big wildcards right now are QB and O line.  I think the supporting cast might end up better than expected.  But if you can't pass block or run block well then it might not come together -- I am not saying that will be the case but I don't know. 

Haskins said learning the plays and a new system behind McCoy and Keenum isn't the hard part. It's the multitasking and "brain farts" that get him sometimes. 

It's not that Haskins doesn't know what he's doing. He says he does. But he said he gets "into my little rookie head sometimes" and messes up. 

So what exactly are those brain farts?

"Forgetting the snap count, taking the wrong footwork, telling a guy to maybe run the wrong route," said offensive coordinator Kevin O'Connell, who briefly crashed Haskins' interview with Donaldson.

"But I'll tell you what," O'Connell continued. "Every day, he makes two or three throws that make us all really excited that we've got him. And the skillset and talent. It's just understanding how hard this position is to play."

Haskins is also getting a hand from more than just the coaching staff. 

Injured passer Alex Smith is also in Richmond and on the sidelines with his crutches. Haskins said he regularly relies on the veteran QB for help and analysis.

"I talk to him every day, every play," Haskins said of Smith. "'What did you see? What do you think? What would you do?' And then he'll give me advice and just give me some tips. He's great. I think he's a great guy, and he goes out of his way to help me, and he's been a great resource." 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/dwayne-haskins-depth-chart-brain-farts-training-camp

Everyone realizes that Colt isn’t the most talented QB on the roster but he knows the system well. But you can’t tell me that Case is more talented. He just happened to get an opportunity when Bradford went down and he came in on a talented team and took them one game away from the Superbowl. There’s a reason Elway decided to go with Flacco instead of Case and that’s because he is limited. 

Since his days on Cleveland Colthe never got a chance to start but he knows this system and I like his gunslinger attitude. He’s gonna make mistakes but he will be decisive in his throws and we can win some games with him till Haskins is ready. Don’t you guys remember when Colt would come into a game and the offense would actually be able to move the ball? I remember one particular game against the Cowboys. 

If Colt is our day one starter I’m good with it as he will be an adequate stopgap. 

8 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Yes, and hopefully not tragedy, comedy or farce.  I'm eager to see what we have in Keenum and Haskins and the rest of the new guys.  Only a few days and we'll get our first peek.

Absolutely can’t wait. I expect it to be tough, but it’s the first chance for Haskins to see a glimpse of NFL speed ... how he adapts will be fascinating, I’m really excited for the kid I just hope he gets time. The more he sees the speed, the less overwhelming it will be... the X’s & O’s will be fine if he gets time. DH struggles anticipating windows v zones, but he can make some of the most impressive throws over/through zones you’ll see. 

My my primary concern is that he clutches & gets off rhythm v zones, I’d rather see him rip it & throw an int than hold it & take a hit. You can’t learn anything if you’re hurt or taking too many hits.

Exciting week ahead.

If colt gets the nod it wouldn't surprise me ..i would think case would cause the experience but hell, haven't the two been in the league about the same amount of time?..colt certainly knows the system better...I remember being in this position a few years back with kirk/colt.... I believe back then Gruden was wanting colt to start..coach might get his wish this year..I mean I guess either way its 50/50 for us fans till the rookie gets handed the reins.

9 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Colt can’t get it done.  I’m sorry, but we know this.  If we’re going into a game with that mindset, I’d rather lose with Haskins and get him some experience.  Or at least start Case and let DH sit for a half season.  I can’t watch Colt for more than a game or two.

If Colt looks better than Case to Gruden, then roll with him. Can careless whether Case should start, just want the best dude rolling in week 1. See where season goes, then decide on Haskins.

Never will support mandates on a season, the NFL is season to season league and truly, anything can happen. The best player should start. The vets seem to favor Colt. 

Admittedly, I’m a sucker for an underdog, so rooting for Colt would increase the value exponentially for me personally. This with the understanding Keenum has no future here and Haskins requires more time to sit and learn. 

The defense has a shot to be special l, couple that with a solid run game you might have something. Season isn’t a throw away year. 

8 hours ago, volsmet said:

My my primary concern is that he clutches & gets off rhythm v zones, I’d rather see him rip it & throw an int than hold it & take a hit. You can’t learn anything if you’re hurt or taking too many hits.

Exciting week ahead.

That's one of the other things said forgot from whom maybe it was Finlay but don't recall -- that he was told that Haskins slows down in certain contexts and is late throwing and Jay is working on that.  There was a segment in camp where you can hear Jay shout at Haskins "late, late, late".  

If Case Keenum &  Dwayne Haskins can't beat out Colt McCoy for the starting job we are in a pretty sad state of affairs QB wise, rookie or new to the playbook I dont care. If both Keenum & Haskins outperform Colt in preseason and Colt is named starter Gruden should be fired immediately. You don't draft a first round QB and or sign a QB who led his team to a NFC championship game and have both of them play second fiddle a career back-up who has NEVER rose to the occasion when given the reins to any team he has played for.

I have to wonder if Jay knows his time is coming to end in Washington and is vicariously living the NFL dream shot of playing starting QB through the eyes of underdog Colt McCoy. Or maybe he is just a idiot. 

My prediction if colt does in fact start, we are going to see a Hue Jackson/Baker Mayfield type situation by mid season and rightfully so.

Archived