Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

22 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

So given how no team will trade for Dwayne, especially after this latest boneheaded incident, what are the cap ramifications for releasing him?  Is the post June 1 date still meaningful?  Of course that late date would hinder Dwayne's ability to latch on with another team but at this point in time I don't give a rat's ass if this hinders Dwayne.  Hell truth be told I hope he's out of the league, F him.  

Assuming I’m reading and comprehending the overthecap.com graphs correctly:

If he’s cut before June 1st: 11.8 mil in dead money and -8.5  mil in cap savings. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6b8c45ad08c9353df196f060ffe561c0.jpeg

If he’s cut after June 1st: 7.5 mil in dead money and -4.3 mil in cap savings.

So there’s a huge financial incentive to keep him on the roster for now.

image.thumb.jpeg.5a2d3037bb352a88520f85d86e1e5c50.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I suspect we’re not cutting him.

Scary part is he may be here next year, too. Which means a QB group fairly similar to now, depending on Smith if he retires or not. The hit isn’t too large though. But people seem to have some grandiose plans for our “plethora of cap space” so who knows.

12 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Not to mention, as soon as membership is approved on ES, that member instantly becomes an ESpert in ALL things, whether sports, medicine, politics, religion, science, superior music taste, superior movie taste, and of course - superior chicken tasting @Spaceman Spiff @ClaytoAli

I see what you did here!

I told Rico...he said

image.gif.26188c72b14b4a78a39ff713e1f67a84.gif

10 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Like why did we seriously tie so much to him?  I mean he was a good prospect but it wasn’t like he was Peyton Manning hype coming out. 

Well, Manning went #1 overall.  I don't think anyone had Haskins anywhere near being #1 overall or being close to what Manning was.

Some people, IIRC, had Hitskins in the 2nd or 3rd round.  I'm not sure how serious the Giants were considering him but I'm pretty sure that they were deciding between him and Daniel Jones.  

So it was all over the place, some had him ranked in the first round, some didn't.  But I think everyone should be able to agree that no matter where he was drafted, he was going to be considered a project.  He was not a finished product coming out.

As an aside, I absolutely hated how people drooled over his video with Gruden and about how adept he was at talking football and breaking down coverages and what happened on a particular play.  I'd expect any quarterback to be able to do that, everyone here got WAY too ****ing excited about that ****, it was stupid.  Doesn't mean he's got good mechanics and is accurate, it doesn't mean he won't take selfies with fans at the end of a game when his team still needs him.  It has nothing to do with the fact that he's an immature, spoiled asshole who's constantly put himself before his team.  

12 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Like why did we seriously tie so much to him?  I mean he was a good prospect but it wasn’t like he was Peyton Manning hype coming out. 

I would think it has to do with be a fanbase being desperate for a franchise QB. I was talking to a Green Bay fan friend of mine about the situation. Other fans have no idea what it feels like to not have one, and he has rooted for a team that has had a franchise QB for the last 28 years. So much hope goes into these guys that they are almost destined to fail. 

9 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

You can blame the Skins (Snyder) for drafting him but they had minimal discretion in paying him.

He’s a first round qb on a rookie deal. His salary is determined by his draft position (15th pick in 1st round) per the cba.

As a result there was limited wiggle room to negotiate his compensation. 

2 hours ago, OGDMV said:

Notice he's wearing an NFLPA sweater. I'm sure they helped him with this apology he read to us.

I bet Mulugheta had his assistant or a junior staffer pull a template apology from their shared drive and tweak it, which he then texted to Dwayne.

37 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

As an aside, I absolutely hated how people drooled over his video with Gruden and about how adept he was at talking football and breaking down coverages and what happened on a particular play.  I'd expect any quarterback to be able to do that, everyone here got WAY too ****ing excited about that ****, it was stupid.  

I'll admit I got overly excited about that interview video. 

3 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Quick question......did the players select Dwayne as a Captain and if so......why?

Pretty sure every starting QB is a captain. & remember in the offseason Rivera and the org made very clear this was Dwayne's team.

Which is why the "Dwayne never got a fair shot" crowd is baffling to me. He was named the undisputed starter and got all the first team reps in the off-season/training camp.

4 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Which is why the "Dwayne never got a fair shot" crowd is baffling to me. He was named the undisputed starter and got all the first team reps in the off-season/training camp.

💯. If you start camp taking the first team reps, it's your job to lose. From listening to people who know more about ball than I do, Haskins is very good in practices. His arm strength stands out. But games are obviously much different.

I believe he will be here next year. I think Rivera will draft o-line and linebackers. I just can't like the guy right now. Hopefully there will be a real qb competition next year with preseason and may the best guy win. 

2 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Assuming I’m reading and comprehending the overthecap.com graphs correctly:

If he’s cut before June 1st: 11.8 mil in dead money and -8.5  mil in cap savings. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6b8c45ad08c9353df196f060ffe561c0.jpeg

If he’s cut after June 1st: 7.5 mil in dead money and -4.3 mil in cap savings.

So there’s a huge financial incentive to keep him on the roster for now.

image.thumb.jpeg.5a2d3037bb352a88520f85d86e1e5c50.jpeg

You know those ads are tailored to you. Apparently you are interested in food delivery to enjoy while sitting on comfortable home theater chairs. I expect an invite after you place the order! 

As far as his deal it’s completely guaranteed for injury and skill. Some first round contracts had a team voidable final year but those rarely get negotiated now. Haskins has a guaranteed 4 year 14 million dollar deal. He has 8.5 million hit left over the remaining 2 years when you factor in the prorated portion of the bonus. We are on the hook for that 8.5 million. If we trade him the new team only takes on the salary for the final 2 years. 1.8 million next year and 2.4 million the following year. 

So we have a 4.4 million hit if we trade him and 8.5 million hit if we cut him.

EB8E4042-2473-48D7-9103-532A51355804.jpeg

Laughable to suggest no one will trade for him, let’s not act like the dude is John Beck just because you don’t like the guy. Might not get much but there’s some personnel guy or coach out there that’s going to turn on the tape from the second half on Sunday and see there’s something to work with. When he stops pressing and stops thinking you can see the natural ability shine through more. Think Giants and Eagles games down the stretch last year too. If Kyle Allen UDFA who totally collapsed down the stretch last year can fetch a 5th I’m thinking Dwayne could fetch at least a conditional 5th or 6th or something like that. At that point I keep him though just to see if he can continue to develop without the pressure of being the guy (I’m assuming we go the vet QB route).

This situation with Haskins reminds me of Gibbs’ issues with Lavar in 2005.  Team’s geared up and bought into a playoff run and Lavar goes complaining to the media about something with two must win games left in the regular season.  Gibbs was incredulous. 

Some similarities between this year and the 2005 season. Veteran QB pulling a lower-end offense along. Strong D.  Likable and ethical Head Coach...

8 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

This situation with Haskins reminds me of Gibbs’ issues with Lavar in 2005.  Team’s geared up and bought into a playoff run and Lavar goes complaining to the media about something with two must win games left in the regular season.  Gibbs was incredulous. 

Some similarities between this year and the 2005 season. Veteran QB pulling a lower-end offense along. Strong D.  Likable and ethical Head Coach...

The similarities are too close... Which is why I'm hoping 2021 is not like 2006.

But that's for a different thread. 😂

11 minutes ago, SweatSuit said:

Laughable to suggest no one will trade for him, let’s not act like the dude is John Beck just because you don’t like the guy. Might not get much but there’s some personnel guy or coach out there that’s going to turn on the tape from the second half on Sunday and see there’s something to work with. 

Clearly worse QB’s have been traded for historically.  So yeah, it’s possible we could muster ‘something’ for him. However, I doubt it’s going to be tape from the second half of last weeks game that makes someone pull the trigger.  Plenty of QB’s have put together glimpses, better than Dwayne’s, and don’t make it in the league.  He is a total project on and off the field.  I think the lack of reported interest earlier this season provides insight into where he stands in the league.  We will be lucky to walk away with anything in return.

Archived