Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

On 12/23/2020 at 2:12 PM, TrancesWithWolves said:

Everything that doesn’t help to achieve that goal is just a distraction.

Good stuff that.

Absolutely, he has taken all the right steps to maintain unity.

But at this juncture it seems Haskins is making a power move. He ain't stupid.

Some kind of petty demostration that he has the last call towards the team success this season.

"We all know Allen is injured and Smith is one hit away from the end of his career, so you HAVE to play me if you want to win".

2 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

The Panthers owner is a hedge fund guy who is obsessively analytics driven. He fully understands the value of losing and holding on to the 4th pick in the draft which would fall to 9th or worse with a win.  The coach is aligned with the owner. No chance CMC will play. We need to take an early lead and they will quit. 

Let’s not make Haskins a hero for beating a team that wants to lose. Logan Thomas at QB should beat these guys. 

I like this explanation. I hope it's this simple. We saw the Jets win in Sunday and then the Bengals on Monday so i don't rule out anything, especially with players playing. It'd be different if they just put in 52 practice squad guys who didn't belong in the league, but those guys just almost beat GB, the best team in the conference, so i wouldn't rule out the players just trying to win it in spite of analytics. 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

I like this explanation. I hope it's this simple. We saw the Jets win in Sunday and then the Bengals on Monday so i don't rule out anything, especially with players playing. It'd be different if they just put in 52 practice squad guys who didn't belong in the league, but those guys just almost beat GB, the best team in the conference, so i wouldn't rule out the players just trying to win it in spite of analytics. 

The jets have a coach who is a dead man walking. Totally different situation. 

44 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Carolina has played tough all year. They only lost to the Chiefs in KC by 2 and the Packers in GB by 8. Bridgewater isn't elite but he manages the game and doesn't turn it over and he has two really good WRs in Anderson and Moore.

Carolina is a good team.  They have a balanced offense.  I was clamoring for joe brady to be our head coach this past off-season, so I have a ton of respect for him.  He is a sharp dude with an effective scheme.  Also considering WFT isn't built to blow teams out, I expect this to be a battle til the final whistle.

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I've been thinking the same thing. I don't think it's a guarantee that haskins immaturity will change. Some guys are just knuckleheads. Did Pacman Jones stop being a knucklehead as he matured?  AB?

Haskins isn’t breaking the law or anything. He’s inmature and selfish and all that, but he’s out there shooting people, etc.... I’ve been hard on him, but am also pulling for him. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Carolina has played tough all year. They only lost to the Chiefs in KC by 2 and the Packers in GB by 8. Bridgewater isn't elite but he manages the game and doesn't turn it over and he has two really good WRs in Anderson and Moore.

Not surprising as this is a Matt Rhule coached team.

Matt Rhule's teams never throw in the towel (at least in college)

Matt Rhule's teams don't ever believe they cannot win

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

They're likely without their MVP RB and top pass rusher... 

18 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Haskins isn’t breaking the law or anything. He’s inmature and selfish and all that, but he’s ( not ) out there shooting people, etc.... I’ve been hard on him, but am also pulling for him. 

If he's out there, I'm rooting for him too.

I just don't have any faith in him.

10 hours ago, Florgon79 said:

I would think it has to do with be a fanbase being desperate for a franchise QB. I was talking to a Green Bay fan friend of mine about the situation. Other fans have no idea what it feels like to not have one, and he has rooted for a team that has had a franchise QB for the last 28 years. So much hope goes into these guys that they are almost destined to fail. 

Thats amazing. So what teams won Super Bowls the other 26 years?

STOP CHASING QB they are just one part of the team.

14 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

Mostly teams with Franchise QBs if I had to take a guess.

Pertinent to his comment, though, is that the Packers have had Franchise QBs starting nonstop since the Clinton administration, and Favre (33rd pick in 1991) and Rodgers (24th pick in 2005) were far from the type of "sure thing" top-five picks that the Jets, Bengals and Browns have cycled through for seemingly forever.

Of QBs won won Super Bowls in the 21st Century, only the Manning brothers and Trent Dilfer were top-5 picks, and Dilfer was basically a bust who resurrected his career in Baltimore behind one of the best defenses in history. In fact, Mahomes is the only other SB-winning QB in this century drafted in the top 10 (at number 10).

Tanking DOES NOT work in the NFL, assuming it's even really possible. The NBA is different because winning a title requires a superstar (even two, these days), and those rarely fall outside the top 3 picks. There are too many moving parts on an NFL team for any single player, even a great QB, to singlehandedly bring a title to town. Morever, that QB simply can't develop on a team so bad that it's years away from the playoffs. It's entirely possible that guys like Tim Couch and David Carr could have been great had they not been stuck on hapless expansion teams.

6 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Y’all are ****ing weak sauce. Not a single one if you were here happy about alex at any point prior to his leg injury. I swear half this fan base is so fragile. It’s ridiculous. 

Not only is this wrong, as @TryTheBeal! pointed out, but it’s off topic and irrelevant.

I’ve never been a fan of watching Alex Smith play quarterback, but he’s a likable dude with a great comeback story that has somehow some way led to wins here.  Dwayne is the opposite of that.

2 minutes ago, profusion said:

Pertinent to his comment, though, is that the Packers have had Franchise QBs starting nonstop since the Clinton administration, and Favre (33rd pick in 1991) and Rodgers (24th pick in 2005) were far from the type of "sure thing" top-five picks that the Jets, Bengals and Browns have cycled through for seemingly forever.

Of QBs won won Super Bowls in the 21st Century, only the Manning brothers and Trent Dilfer were top-5 picks, and Dilfer was basically a bust who resurrected his career in Baltimore behind one of the best defenses in history. In fact, Mahomes is the only other SB-winning QB in this century drafted in the top 10 (at number 10).

Tanking DOES NOT work in the NFL, assuming it's even really possible. The NBA is different because winning a title requires a superstar (even two, these days), and those rarely fall outside the top 3 picks. There are too many moving parts on an NFL team for any single player, even a great QB, to singlehandedly bring a title to town. Morever, that QB simply can't develop on a team so bad that it's years away from the playoffs. It's entirely possible that guys like Tim Couch and David Carr could have been great had they not been stuck on hapless expansion teams.

Where did i say anything about tanking? Or even chasing qbs? You guys are putting words in my mouth. All i said is it would be nice to have a Franchise QB. 

But for ****s and giggles, lets look at the teams that have won the superbowl since the last time we won and since Brett Favre started playing for the Packers. Because in spite of when they were drafted, most winning teams and a lot of losing teams had Franchise QBs. I don't see a lot of success from teams who can't find Franchise QBs like US, the Jets, The Browns, The Bears...

1992 XXVII Troy Aikman*MVP Dallas CowboysN Jim Kelly* Buffalo BillsA
1993 XXVIII Troy Aikman* Dallas CowboysN Jim Kelly* Buffalo BillsA
1994 XXIX Steve Young*MVP San Francisco 49ersN Stan Humphries San Diego ChargersA
1995 XXX Troy Aikman* Dallas CowboysN Neil O'Donnell Pittsburgh SteelersA
1996 XXXI Brett Favre* Green Bay PackersN Drew Bledsoe New England PatriotsA
1997 XXXII John Elway* Denver BroncosA Brett Favre* Green Bay PackersN
1998 XXXIII John Elway*MVP Denver BroncosA Chris Chandler Atlanta FalconsN
1999 XXXIV Kurt Warner*MVP St. Louis RamsN Steve McNair Tennessee TitansA
2000 XXXV Trent Dilfer Baltimore RavensA Kerry Collins New York GiantsN
2001 XXXVI Tom BradydaggerMVP New England PatriotsA Kurt Warner* St. Louis RamsN
2002 XXXVII Brad Johnson Tampa Bay BuccaneersN Rich Gannon Oakland RaidersA
2003 XXXVIII Tom BradydaggerMVP New England PatriotsA Jake Delhomme Carolina PanthersN
2004 XXXIX Tom Bradydagger New England PatriotsA Donovan McNabb Philadelphia EaglesN
2005 XL Ben Roethlisbergerdagger Pittsburgh SteelersA Matt Hasselbeck Seattle SeahawksN
2006 XLI Peyton ManningMVP Indianapolis ColtsA Rex Grossman Chicago BearsN
2007 XLII Eli ManningMVP New York GiantsN Tom Bradydagger New England PatriotsA
2008 XLIII Ben Roethlisbergerdagger Pittsburgh SteelersA Kurt Warner* Arizona CardinalsN
2009 XLIV Drew BreesdaggerMVP New Orleans SaintsN Peyton Manning Indianapolis ColtsA
2010 XLV Aaron RodgersdaggerMVP Green Bay PackersN Ben Roethlisbergerdagger Pittsburgh SteelersA
2011 XLVI Eli ManningMVP New York GiantsN Tom Bradydagger New England PatriotsA
2012 XLVII Joe FlaccodaggerMVP Baltimore RavensA Colin Kaepernick San Francisco 49ersN
2013 XLVIII Russell Wilsondagger Seattle SeahawksN Peyton Manning Denver BroncosA
2014 XLIX Tom BradydaggerMVP New England PatriotsA Russell Wilsondagger Seattle SeahawksN
2015 50 Peyton Manning Denver BroncosA Cam Newtondagger Carolina PanthersN
2016 LI Tom BradydaggerMVP New England PatriotsA Matt Ryandagger Atlanta FalconsN
2017 LII Nick FolesdaggerMVP Philadelphia EaglesN Tom Bradydagger New England PatriotsA
2018 LIII Tom Bradydagger New England PatriotsA Jared Goffdagger Los Angeles RamsN
2019 LIV Patrick MahomesdaggerMVP Kansas City ChiefsA Jimmy Garoppolodagger San Francisco 49ersN

2 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

Where did i say anything about tanking? Or even chasing qbs? You guys are putting words in my mouth. All i said is it would be nice to have a Franchise QB. 

You were replying to a commenter whose central point was to stop chasing QBs, meaning not going after the latest "shiny thing" by tanking or trading away a ton of picks or whatever. Instead, build a good team, including finding a good QB. A fair number of "franchise QBs" are decent players who become "franchise" guys because they play for well-built teams in well-run organizations.

Rivera has managed to get the WFT headed toward winning territory with an extraordinarily weak QB group. Even a mid-level starter would have the WFT being a danger to make some noise in January. I'd much rather that the construction of a winning culture continue, even if it means sacrificing draft position next spring. Poor Trevor Lawrence, he's going to end up on the Jaguars or Jets unless he can successfully pull an Elway and force a pre-draft trade.

4 minutes ago, profusion said:

You were replying to a commenter whose central point was to stop chasing QBs, meaning not going after the latest "shiny thing" by tanking or trading away a ton of picks or whatever. Instead, build a good team, including finding a good QB. A fair number of "franchise QBs" are decent players who become "franchise" guys because they play for well-built teams in well-run organizations.

Rivera has managed to get the WFT headed toward winning territory with an extraordinarily weak QB group. Even a mid-level starter would have the WFT being a danger to make some noise in January. I'd much rather that the construction of a winning culture continue, even if it means sacrificing draft position next spring. Poor Trevor Lawrence, he's going to end up on the Jaguars or Jets unless he can successfully pull an Elway and force a pre-draft trade.

All I was trying to say is that it would be nice to have a Franchise QB. What you are saying is that the way you get one is by being a good franchise and developing a team and culture. I understand that. It doesn't take away from the fact that we haven't had one, regardless of the circumstances, and the Packers have...for 28 years...because they are a well run franchise. I still never said anything about chasing qbs or tanking.

1 minute ago, Florgon79 said:

All I was trying to say is that it would be nice to have a Franchise QB. What you are saying is that the way you get one is by being a good franchise and developing a team and culture. I understand that. It doesn't take away from the fact that we haven't had one, regardless of the circumstances, and the Packers have...for 28 years...because they are a well run franchise. I still never said anything about chasing qbs or tanking.

Fair enough. We're on the same page, then.

One could argue that Cousins was a franchise QB but that the Redskins weren't much of a franchise at the time...

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

Carolina is a good team.  They have a balanced offense.  I was clamoring for joe brady to be our head coach this past off-season, so I have a ton of respect for him.  He is a sharp dude with an effective scheme.  Also considering WFT isn't built to blow teams out, I expect this to be a battle til the final whistle.

Carolina is more than capable of beating us but let’s cool it. They aren’t good. They stink. Outside of the Jets, I imagine every bad has lost a bunch of close games because the margins are so thin in the NFL. 

We aren’t good either so we’ll have to give 60 min of effort Sunday but I expect Carolina will roll over if we come out and crush them from the jump. 

8 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Carolina is more than capable of beating us but let’s cool it. They aren’t good. They stink. Outside of the Jets, I imagine every bad has lost a bunch of close games because the margins are so thin in the NFL. 

We aren’t good either so we’ll have to give 60 min of effort Sunday but I expect Carolina will roll over if we come out and crush them from the jump. 

Carolina is the 4th worst team in the NFL currently. Let’s not pump them up like we are Joe Gibbs at a press conference in the 80s. They are trash. If we can’t beat them we don’t deserve to be in the playoffs.

30 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not only is this wrong, as @TryTheBeal! pointed out, but it’s off topic and irrelevant.

I’ve never been a fan of watching Alex Smith play quarterback, but he’s a likable dude with a great comeback story that has somehow some way led to wins here.  Dwayne is the opposite of that.

He’s absolutely right. And it isn’t “somehow.” Sustaining drives even if not scoring points, winning the field position battle, putting your defense in favorable situations, intangibles and leadership, setting protections and keeping the offense in favorable down and distances are huge components of a winning formula. It’s not magic, he’s not lucky. You and many many others for whatever reason just can’t wrap your head around this concept. 

How can you say he’s wrong with a straight face? This board loathed Alex’s style of play and downplayed his contribution to winning games at every step of the way in 2018. It’s obvious the reason why, and it’s obvious why he’s seen in a different light today. It’s because the attention has shifted from hating Brucifer to loathing Dwayne. All because Dwayne embodies Dan’s terrible tendencies as an owner, which is now the focus of an impatient and angry fan base. I get the sentiment I do but don’t play revisionist history and act like this board or fan base appreciated Alex prior to his leg injury. That’s just disingenuous.

8 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Y’all are ****ing weak sauce. Not a single one if you were here happy about alex at any point prior to his leg injury. I swear half this fan base is so fragile. It’s ridiculous. 

This is patently false. 

Also re: Haskins probably starting Sunday...

I can’t put into words how disappointed I am. We can say, “they are following strict protocols to prevent spread!” All you want... it’s disappointing that we are playing Haskins on Sunday at all. He blatantly disrespected the fan base, his teammates, and his coaches. 

You cannot say “he is testing negative so no big deal.” Why? They removed the C from his Jersey and fined him 40k. You don’t get fined unless you do something that you weren’t supposed to do. 

I’d imagine Rivera isn’t taking major risks with his health and he knows what he’s doing. I haven’t doubted him much throughout everything this year.

I don’t like this. 

I think he should have been Covid listed and I’m hoping this doesn’t bite us in the ass and have guys get sick.

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is patently false. 

Also re: Haskins probably starting Sunday...

I can’t put into words how disappointed I am. We can say, “they are following strict protocols to prevent spread!” All you want... it’s disappointing that we are playing Haskins on Sunday at all. He blatantly disrespected the fan base, his teammates, and his coaches. 

You cannot say “he is testing negative so no big deal.” Why? They removed the C from his Jersey and fined him 40k. You don’t get fined unless you do something that you weren’t supposed to do. 

I’d imagine Rivera isn’t taking major risks with his health and he knows what he’s doing. I haven’t doubted him much throughout everything this year.

I don’t like this. 

I think he should have been Covid listed and I’m hoping this doesn’t bite us in the ass and have guys get sick.

There were very few on this board who appreciated Alex’s play. Not a single one is clearly hyperbole to drive home a point but he’s not wrong at all. The majority did not appreciate Alex until now, to say otherwise is pure revisionist history.

Archived