Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Haskins looks a lot better when he plays up tempo. I liken this to letting your qb sling it 60 times in a game, so the pressure decreases ( see burrow). If I were the OC, I’d start the first 2 drives up tempo, so he gets the jitters out. Our OL is trash, and won’t get better til Charles and Ismael are ready to come in, and we pick some up in the off-season. So until then, I’d take the opportunity to get Dwayne reps in an uptempo offense until we have a line that can actually provide other options.

Additionally, I wouldn’t throw the ball to anyone but mclaurin, with the occasional slot pass to sims peppered in there. He’s open almost every down. Just force feed the ball to him ala Thomas in NO. 

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Gibson has broken 10 tackles on 22 attempts, the guy is absurdly shifty/explosive.

Need to get that man involved in the pass game. Make DBs try to tackle that guy.

I can see a few bootlegs to give time to establish deep routes. Even if we don't throw them, it will make the D respect our attack and stop playing in a 10 yd box. There were a lot of jumped routes vs Ariz.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Right now, definitely.  Although maybe in a few games we'll think differently.  Gibson flashes elite talent that's just bananas.  This stat has to regress to the mean, if it doesn't...I can't even begin to say how good he can be.

Top RB's for Broken Tackles in the NFL.  Guess which one is Antonio Gibson

Player Att Yds BrkTkl
Att/Br
Player A 52 181 12 4.3
Player B 22 91 10 2.2
Player C 41 156 8 5.1
Player D 29 146 7 4.1
Player E 35 177 6 5.8
Player F 44 185 5 8.8

I think this has to regress for everyone on this list.  The data for 2018 and 2019 shows the top guys generally break tackles in the 8-10 per attempt range.

Player A Josh Jacobs
Player B Antonio Gibson
Player C
Christian McCaffrey
Player D
David Montgomery
Player E Austin Ekeler
Player F Ezekiel Elliott

Gibson has broken 10 tackles on 22 attempts, the guy is absurdly shifty/explosive.

Yes.

But not yet. 

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

Need to get that man involved in the pass game. Make DBs try to tackle that guy.

I can see a few bootlegs to give time to establish deep routes. Even if we don't throw them, it will make the D respect our attack and stop playing in a 10 yd box. There were a lot of jumped routes vs Ariz.

we should be watching Jax tonight to see how they utilize shenault jr.  both players remind me of Percy harvin 

2 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

we should be watching Jax tonight to see how they utilize shenault jr.  both players remind me of Percy harvin 

I thought that was the kind of role hey were training him for. He was running reps at WR all offseason. Have yet to see it in a significant way in a game tho...

With our O-line issues I'd love too see Gibson in WIldcat to add to our blocking numbers

Not sure where this goes

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29939438/2020-nfl-analytics-survey-which-teams-most-least-analytically-inclined

When it comes to analytics in the NFL, the Baltimore Ravens are No. 1.

That's the take of analytics staffers around the league, as polled by ESPN in our first NFL analytics survey. Of course, it's a tricky question. There's some visible evidence of analytics work -- on fourth-down decisions or draft-day trades, for example -- but there's even more that's invisible to those outside each organization. There's secrecy and competitive advantage involved, so no one knows exactly what everyone else is doing. Which is why we ask, because if anyone has a good sense of how analytics are playing a role, it's the analytics staffers themselves.

So we surveyed 26 people who are current NFL analytics staffers or have been in the past year on a variety of topics during this past offseason -- including the most and least analytically inclined teams -- in what is no longer a niche area of football. (My list of analytics staffers around the league currently includes 85 people.) Some staffers left additional comments, and others were called by ESPN for contextual follow-ups. And all were granted anonymity so they could speak freely.

Which NFL team is the most analytically advanced?

1. Baltimore Ravens (15 votes)
2. Cleveland Browns (7)
T3. Philadelphia Eagles (1)
T3. Houston Texans (1)

Two voters abstained.

Which team most incorporates analytics into its decision-making?

1. Baltimore Ravens (14)
2. Cleveland Browns (6)
3. Philadelphia Eagles (2)
T4. Houston Texans (1)
T4. Indianapolis Colts (1)

"For those teams in particular, there's a commitment at the highest levels of the organization," another NFL analytics veteran, lumping Baltimore in with the two other teams regularly considered to be in the top tier of NFL analytics, the Browns and Eagles. "Cleveland with Paul DePodesta, Philly with Jeffrey Lurie ... and then in Baltimore with Eric DeCosta. Those guys are publicly advocating for analytics, and then they back that up with head count."

But Baltimore was not a unanimous selection for either of these categories.

"I think most places, analytics acts like the 10th scout," said one staffer, referring specifically to personnel decisions. "You'll go around the room, and there's nine scouts, and analytics will act like the 10th scout. Whereas I think the only two places where the analytics are the process instead of being just a cog in the wheel of the process are Cleveland and the Eagles. Maybe the Vikings."

To that end, Minnesota pulled off the best draft pick-for-draft pick trade in the 2020 draft, according to our model, and cumulatively accrued the value of an additional second-round pick through its draft pick trades this year.

Which team is the least analytically advanced?

1. Washington Football Team (6)
2. Tennessee Titans (5)
T3. Cincinnati Bengals (3)
T3. New York Giants (3)
5. Pittsburgh Steelers (2)
T6. Houston Texans (1)
T6. Kansas City Chiefs (1)
T6. Las Vegas Raiders (1)
T6. Los Angeles Chargers (1)
T6. New Orleans Saints (1)
T6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1)

One voter abstained.

Many staffers said this was a more difficult question to answer than identifying the most analytically advanced teams.

"There's a handful of teams, probably about 10, that I know essentially nothing about their analytics. Which leads me to believe they're not doing a whole lot," one experienced analytics staffer said. "So it could have been any of those 10 teams."

Washington, which received the most votes, has one staffer listed in a hybrid analytics/scouting assistant role. The team ranked second worst behind the Packers in fourth-down decision-making in 2019, though that may change with new coach Ron Rivera, who is famous for his aggressive fourth-down choices. Carolina, his former team, had the third-best ratio of win probability gained to win probability lost on fourth downs last season.

Tennessee garnered the second-most votes, and it lists zero full-time analytics staffers on its website (though, to be fair, the Titans do run play-action at a high rate). The Giants were maybe the most stratified team in the survey, receiving four votes as one of the five most analytically advanced teams in the NFL and three votes as the least advanced.

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I don't think you need a paid staffer to figure out 4th down stuff.  Seems like a bad metric to evaluate an analytics department.

That said, I hope we beef up our analytics.

I thought we were. I like what Rivera said a couple of weeks ago: https://www.washingtonfootball.com/video/ron-rivera-give-his-opinion-on-how-to-use-advanced-analytics

18 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Haskins looks a lot better when he plays up tempo. I liken this to letting your qb sling it 60 times in a game, so the pressure decreases ( see burrow). If I were the OC, I’d start the first 2 drives up tempo, so he gets the jitters out.

Scott Turner agrees and said he will implement a faster start on offense against the Browns. We'll see.

17 hours ago, Leonard Washington said:

I agree with this. I’m surprised that we don’t have a more effective screen game. 

Haskins doesn’t have a very good touch pass. He can zip the ball anywhere he wants, but anything less than a fastball is a guessing game. Also, we need more mobility from our OL and wide receivers savvy enough to understand how the play develops. 

I try to tip toe the middle of the apologists and haters, but my desire to have a solid franchise qb (ANYONE) does make me lean a little bit to the side of hoping he pans out.

Ultimately, stats and play aside, I think a larger part of the haters (than would ever admit) just despise his face, his mannerisms, and how he looks on and off the field as a person!

I'm absolutely serious, he as r me out... He has the look of being disinterested when looking at plays after he is on the bench, on the field he looks bored, on the sideline he can be seen looking as if he is THE Man and too cool for school. I seriously think people judge how his face looks, and it lights a fire of hate within them.

No of course I don't think Haskins actually feels those ways... going off his interviews (which can also look like he is bored and doesn't give a rats ass) he has been saying the right things since a RR got to town. 

So, my ask is...

Simba, Dwayne Haskins.. . Number 7... PLEASE change your face!

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Haskins doesn’t have a very good touch pass. He can zip the ball anywhere he wants, but anything less than a fastball is a guessing game. Also, we need more mobility from our OL and wide receivers savvy enough to understand how the play develops. 

It’s not just that.  A good screen is a ballet of timing.  Nearly every single offensive player absolutely has to be on the same rhythm for it to work.  The touch on the pass is probably the least important part of the dance.

It takes a lot of time and practice to become an effective screen team.  And we just aren’t there yet.

42 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It’s not just that.  A good screen is a ballet of timing.  Nearly every single offensive player absolutely has to be on the same rhythm for it to work.  The touch on the pass is probably the least important part of the dance.

It takes a lot of time and practice to become an effective screen team.  And we just aren’t there yet.

That too. I swear all these people saying we should just run a bunch of screens don’t really realize how deceptive complicated they are.

49 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Hmmmm, a few weeks ago someone posted about football players learning ballet....  😇

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Sharks are starting to circle. 

He needs a good game Sunday. Simple as.

690BBC3E-BB23-419C-8347-1BD1947D8805.png

If the staff can correct the mechanical issues, the variance in outcomes lessens. That’s been the glaring weak spot since college, even though people cited completion %, there is far more to it than that. Clearly our staff believes they can bring him along, and in the 2nd half last week he was more sound than he’s been at any other point. It’s not an overnight fix, but you can see him improving from one half to the next ... unleash a DH who can repeat his delivery 100 times in a row, and we’ve got a special player. 

Archived