Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

The frustrating part about this situation is that it isn't like the 2018 where the team actually was doing something with Alex Smith and then the injury left a void that they couldn't fill and the season collapsed.

The team was not winning with Case under center.  Does he give the team a *better* chance to win? Perhaps, but he also doesn't make the team good.  A few wins mixed in with more losing does nothing to advance the franchise in the big picture. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Finlay said on the postgame show don't count out Callahan to be the next head coach considering he's very close with Bruce.  Though he did say in another recent interview that he doesn't think he ends up the guy. 

Talk about losing what little is left of the fanbase! Bruce staying and Callahan landing the HC job, and FedEx Field will go from 60-40% opposing teams fans to 90-10%. 

2 minutes ago, Stormy said:

Talk about losing what little is left of the fanbase! Bruce staying and Callahan landing the HC job, and FedEx Field will go from 60-40% opposing teams fans to 90-10%. 

That'll still only fill 33% of the stadium at that point unless Snyderallen removes 40k more seats... 😂

Finlay on 106.7 just now more or less saying that Callahan saw that Jay didn't have as much as roster control as he would have liked to have -- and Callahan didn't want to go on that same road so he insisted on full roster control.    And Finlay doubled down that don't be shocked at Callahan having Keenum starting.

I guess the one good part of that is Finlay didn't say it in a way that he thought it would be Keenum for sure but he does think its sincerely on the table for Callahan.

The other thing is Keenum from what I've heard still isn't cleared from his concussion.  So even if Callahan wants to go Keenum, it doesn't mean for sure he could do that.  And it sounds like Colt is out of the equation no matter what. 

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So Haskins by default, exactly what nobody wanted, not even me.

Gotta wonder if Callahan is also trying to save his job instead of prioritizing Haskins development.  His hand looks forced now in more way then one.

I don't even think Callahan wanted the job so i don't think he's concerned. He'll always have a job in the NFL.

He's just an old school, run heavy, vet-led kind of coach. It's why even with 37 year old Gannon he had no interest in looking for a younger guy.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

I don't even think Callahan wanted the job so i don't think he's concerned. He'll always have a job in the NFL.

You know, prior to gaining the interim job, and the subsequent success (relatively) of the run game... I wouldn’t have been too sure about this comment.  I think it’s clear though that there were major meshing issues with Gruden though.  

He's just an old school, run heavy, vet-led kind of coach. It's why even with 37 year old Gannon he had no interest in looking for a younger guy.

Is he though?  And did he though?

9 hours ago, MartinC said:

This one sentence and the history of developing QBs in the NFL invalidate the rest of your post and argument. I could list a LOT of QBs who looked like crap their rookie years who went on to have good or even great NFL careers.

As an example if you can find it watch some footage of Aaron Rodgers in preseason his rookie year. He could not get out of the huddle and get a snap off and when he did had no idea what he was doing. If he had been forced to play that year it would have been a train wreck. 

It's WAY too early to declare Haskins anything.

I agree, it is way too early. We can only hope that what we saw out of DH the first two games was a product of being unprepared. Moving forward, hopefully he's dedicated to being great and gets great coaching. If I'm Dan I'm going after Eric Bienemy hard.....I like the prospects of him and DH growing together in this league. 

I am personally skeptical of DH right now but he has to have some potential given his success at Ohio State in just one season. We are all gonna need to be patient for sure. 

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

You know, prior to gaining the interim job, and the subsequent success (relatively) of the run game... I wouldn’t have been too sure about this comment.  I think it’s clear though that there were major meshing issues with Gruden though.  

Is he though?  And did he though?

He’s always wanted to be part of an offense with a mobile veteran QB. Romo, Gannon, Case (to an extent). It meshes with what he wants from an OL and theoretically should make a run game more dynamic than a purely pocket QB. Probably why he doesn’t love Haskins and his insistence on being that.

I think he will ultimately make him the starter. I hope that his goal is to teach the young future of the franchise a lesson in humility and hard work first. In my minds eye (lol) it see Callahan as an old school, hard nosed asshole that really just wants to make a mark on the younger generation that he knows is stuck here for the foreseeable future. If they cant enjoy winning, they at least have to get better as professionals during this period. 

Of course that could all be the bullest of **** 

17 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Finlay said on the postgame show don't count out Callahan to be the next head coach considering he's very close with Bruce.  Though he did say in another recent interview that he doesn't think he ends up the guy. 

That's the only way to ensure Haskins will be onboard next year, since he's been a Snydallen pick.

13 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Maybe this has been mentioned, maybe it hasn't.  But I can't stand his throwing motion.  It looks awkward as hell, right when he releases the ball and he does this weird thing where he sticks his ass out and kinda jumps into the throw.  It's weird and it doesn't look right.

It's one of about 800 mechanical issues I've noted on him. Others people have, too. We'll see what happens with him, though. If he makes it work he makes it work.

On 11/5/2019 at 3:30 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

-- Dan I think will be desperate for a splash.  And bringing back Callahan won't give him that splash.    But agree he might not be able to generate the splash he'd want -- but heck I think even a dude like Gregg Williams is more splashy than retaining Callahan. 

But if we lose out and Haskins looks like crap, which is probable, I heard that Can Newton is likely to be available!

Splash, splash, goodbye high first rounder for a totally injury prone dude.

That like the perfect Snyder, oops I mean, Bruce, scenario.

11 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

But if we lose out and Haskins looks like crap, which is probable, I heard that Can Newton is likely to be available!

Splash, splash, goodbye high first rounder for a totally injury prone dude.

That like the perfect Snyder, oops I mean, Bruce, scenario.

The idea that Dan hires a buffoon and lets him even run some of his own buffoonery moves unimpeded -- isn't a complement to Dan.  ;)

Yeah based on what's been said right now from those who cover the team, their impression is we are all in on Haskins.   So am doubting Newton in 2020.  But yeah if this was early 2018 i could see Newton for sure. 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hoffman just on 106.7.  Said there was a meeting on Monday with Doug and Haskins.  He's not sure what transpired except Haskins was left with the impression that he'd start. 

The way it should be.  You got two QBs that aren't under contract next year and both are at best backup QBs in the NFL.  Let your first round QB play and gain experience and see what we have in before next year's draft.  SIP, I wasn't pointing this towards you but the media and general public.  

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

The way it should be.  You got two QBs that aren't under contract next year and both are at best backup QBs in the NFL.  Let your first round QB play and gain experience and see what we have in before next year's draft.  SIP, I wasn't pointing this towards you but the media and general public.  

I know what you mean (and I agree), but my initial reaction was Dwayne finding out from Doug that he’s starting is not at all ’the way it should be’.  

Archived