Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

16 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I read that as Haskins not taking the approach the coaches wanted initially.  Ie. they don’t want to hand him the start, but want to see him continue to work hard before giving it to him.  

Edit:  Oh, wait... I missed what you said about Callahan not taking the approach ‘they’ wanted... huh.  

You might be right.  Not sure.  I got to jump on a call but I'll go back and try to piece it together. 

I was only half listening but on Dukes show, if I heard Hoffman right there is indeed talk in the FO about what to do or not to do with Haskins and if I heard him right there are different factions and he's got conflicting info on it.  When I have time, I'll go back and listen to it.

Regardless, I hope the verdict is play the dude.  

6 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I feel like there is a huge elephant in the room and we are walking on eggshells by not admitting what we are seeing out of Haskins.

I do think he was better but only because he went from rough to mildly competent.

I don't know that I have ever seen a QB come into the league and look this unprepared and then all a sudden one day it clicks.  There's usually some initial flash of talent followed by mistakes and I haven't seen any flashes out of Haskins so far, not good ones.

This may come off as harsh but it truly feels like I'm watching someone who has no idea what they are doing and is trying to get up to speed in a short amount of time, almost like a replacement player or something.

Nothing personal at Haskins, I hope he succeeds but I think we are fooling ourselves with the hope he's Jared Goff who is by far the exception and not the rule when it comes to a QB looking so poor and then doing a complete 180 the next season.

I just haven't seen that happen too much in 35 years of NFL football.

Has everyone forgotten the stories of QB's like Rich Gannon and Vinny Testeverde, QB's who took like a decade to grow but at one point they were a top tier QB in the league? No no one has that kinda patience anymore in terms of QB development. Fans want Dante Culpepper rookie numbers or Big Ben 1st season success and now the Mahomes standard. When in reality its just gonna take time for the majority of these Qbs, and unfortunately for us it looks like we got the latter.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Thats the way I read it. I can’t see any other interpretation. 

Which im actually cool with. Means Dan and Bruce let their opinion be known but also let Callahan do what he thinks is best a coach. That’s the best you are gonna get with dan I think. Especially with an part time HC

Agree, I'd be cool with the coach calling the shots.  Though in this case, I'd hope Callahan starts him.

But I think @skinny21 guessed right.  That's the sequence of tweets.  So looks like they are referring to what they want out of Haskins.

Would be nice to see Vernon get back on the field for DH to have....and CT. He really is playing on the fly with a limited arsenal of weapons. Imagine if he had Trent, CT, Jordan and Vernon with Guice and AP all on the field with him? Gotta think it would be much, much easier for him. 

This is funny especially if you listen to Hoffman's other segments on Callahan.  In short Hoffman isn't much of a fan of Callahan.  I can elaborate but I don't feel like discussing the issue -- because I think it ends up a moot issue.

I suspect Callahan ends up naming Haskins.  But if he doesn't, looks like he will get some grief.    Michael Phillips speculated that if Keenum gets the start, fans will boo him when he comes out of the tunnel.   Callahan seems like a fairly well aware guy -- so if there is any real hesitation on this then perhaps public sentiment will tip the balance.  But I suspect it won't be needed. 

If they want Haskins to earn it or whatever -- OK.  As long as the bottom line is he starts. 😀

If Callahan doesn't know if Haskins will our start next game, that tells me he needs to be relieved of duties.

That, or just say that Booze Allen hasn't told him if he is starting, or not. 

Our OL play has been terrible his entire tenure here, outside of a year or 2 of decent pass pro. He's been terrible and somehow seems to be getting worse the more power he has.  Only a team with our level of dysfunction would promote him, over someone that has any chance of upside. He is just bidding his time at this point.

8 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

If Callahan doesn't know if Haskins will our start next game, that tells me he needs to be relieved of duties.

That, or just say that Booze Allen hasn't told him if he is starting, or not. 

Our OL play has been terrible his entire tenure here, outside of a year or 2 of decent pass pro. He's been terrible and somehow seems to be getting worse the more power he has.  Only a team with our level of dysfunction would promote him, over someone that has any chance of upside. He is just bidding his time at this point.

Supposedly he will announce who starts on Monday.  The weird thing about that is if he is trying to get a competitive advantage -- the Jets are playing Sunday so I doubt they are prepping now for both the Giants and Redskins.  And if Haskins' motivation (as some seem to purport) fluctuates if he starts versus is a backup -- then it doesn't serve that idea either.   So unless am missing something (and maybe I am) it seems a bit weird -- unless the idea is to see if Case recovers from the concussion.  

9 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Has an interim coach ever been fired midseason? We have grounds to do so with this clown. He'd rather watch AP run than unleash the rook.....terrible.

I gotta say, I think people are missing what the point of the gameplan Sunday was. I'm not fond of the fact that they had no response to the Bills stopping the run. But the gameplan was designed to develop Haskins in a way that allowed him to play a relatively mistake free game and work on the operations of the game. 

The premise of attacking Callahan for protecting the quarterback is fundamentally flawed. You can't "unleash the rook" if he has trouble even managing the operations aspects of the game. They were using a basic carbon copy of his college offense.

As I said many times in the last few days: I'm not fond with their overall lack of a gameplan that gave the Skins a chance to win the game. But the gameplan was clearly to develop Haskins. We can't both develop him and unleash him. He's not to that point yet. He just isn't.

So as far as his "We have time" shctick, I'm not going to worry about it until he makes the call. If he says its NOT Haskins then we have some room to talk. Though, I'm curious as to the FO's involvement in the decision.

Many Giant fans on twitter really really are hoping Haskins is a bust, a Giants fan there responds to a hit on Jones by attacking Haskins.  Many have the Jones-Haskins thing interlinked.  It should be interesting as to their careers.   I hate the Giants so its extra incentive for me on this subject. 

I really dont feel like Haskins would look any worse than Jones right now with the same amount of Reps. But, im basically making that up out of nothing. I have no reason to believe it other than **** Jones and the Giants. 

I bet it has to eat Haskins up though, that he ended up here in this situation when he could have been in NY where he wanted to be with the team he wanted to be on getting the reps he wants. But hey, thats life. 

54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I guess O'Connell who was supposedly in charge of getting Haskins ready and still is -- isn't much of a QB developer according to Anderson.  I am not saying I am sold or not on O'Connell but to me that's a dig. 

I don't get the O'Connell hype either, but Anderson was the same portion of the media who acted like Gruden murdered the Haskins family live on television when he put him in the Giants game when Case got hurt.

14 hours ago, Llevron said:

I.....don’t really know how to respond? I could keep going like this for days but it was petty 5 hours ago now it’s just excessive. 

I still think your argument was stupid. I still think I was right. I just don’t think it’s worth littering the thread with more of *your silly dribble. 

Can we just agree to stfu about it by now? FIVE HOURS LATER? Lol 😂 

*I guess our is more fair 

My argument was stupid? You really are mad i set it straight. You'll get over it. I know you are but what am i? LOL

I hate that the org put Haskins in the spot he's in.  They, per usual, totally overestimated the roster they put together.  B-b-b-but, 6-3 tho.  So they saddle their head coach with 2 journeyman and a very, very raw rookie in a win-or-else situation.  Leading to all this hub-bub about who didn't want him and blah blah.

That in conjunction with what little positive we've seen from him on the field is what contributes to the "bust" chatter.  I think it's incredibly early to make that determination, but I can understand why folks see it headed that way.

3 minutes ago, Sonny9TD said:

My argument was stupid? You really are mad i set it straight. You'll get over it.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I hate that the org put Haskins in the spot he's in.  They, per usual, totally overestimated the roster they put together.  B-b-b-but, 6-3 tho.  So they saddle their head coach with 2 journeyman and a very, very raw rookie in a win-or-else situation.  Leading to all this hub-bub about who didn't want him and blah blah.

Seriously though, I can see why they would think they were close if they thought like fans did. They were 6-3 last season with a okish QB. Thinking they were one guy away from being 6-3 again is acceptable if you think like a fan. They shouldn't be that dumb though. The way they build this team on the backs on perpetually injured over preforming players was bound to fall apart. 

But then, you say all that and you get a rookie not ready to play and hope that Colt Mccoy can come through for you. It just wasnt smart. No other FO would make these moves. 

I just hope the next coach will have the opportunity to take his guy for qb on this team maybe not in the first but if snyder is smart he will allow him to use any of the picks from 3-6 on one. Im tired of the 30 and over qbs this team relies on they all never work...at least this way we have someone young and waiting in the wings thats the coaches guy in case next year if haskins doesnt develop we have someone else thats young to turn to..but i honestly feel they will roll out alex smith in 2020...

Started going though the coaches tape.  Amateur on my end, as to my opinion so people can take or leave it and naturally that's cool. 

Am about half way through the game. I often look to see if bigger plays were available and open receivers but the Qb missed -- I don't see that so much at least with the first half.  The first clip resulted in a sack but as you can see no one was open.

The other two clips showcase a weakness which I spotted in training camp.  Haskins isn't always that hot with the short out routes even when completed -- in training camp the receivers often had to turn back a yard to catch the ball.  Colt on the other hand would throw ahead of the receivers and that helped YAC because he'd hit them in stride. 

It's not the end of the world, its a nuance, but since I've seen him throw a ton of out rotes like that (because it was the most common throw in the practices I watched) and it was often either slightly behind the receiver or he'd miss the receiver entirely. And most of those throws were shorter than this one -- they were throws in the flat about 5 yard out mostly.   

If I just saw him throw a few of these I'd blow it off.   I've seen probably him throw 70 or so throws like that because they ran exercises where they practice them repeatedly.   And when Colt came in you can distinctly see the difference on those throws as for hitting receivers in stride to set up YAC.  

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 8.18.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 8.35.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 8.36.16 AM.png

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Seriously though, I can see why they would think they were close if they thought like fans did. They were 6-3 last season with a okish QB. Thinking they were one guy away from being 6-3 again is acceptable if you think like a fan. They shouldn't be that dumb though. The way they build this team on the backs on perpetually injured over preforming players was bound to fall apart. 

The problem is that the majority of fans really don't know what they are looking at.  And to your point, it's rather sad that the man overseeing the football team is no smarter than your average football fan.  I can understand enjoying watching your team scrap and scrape their way to squeakers or mildly whoop up on a bad team and have a good record in the process.  I cannot understand watching them get boatraced by all formidable opponents and still thinking 'we're close'.  

13 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Has everyone forgotten the stories of QB's like Rich Gannon and Vinny Testeverde

I agree with the premise but you want to see glimpses of what the future may hold. 

I'm not sure these are the best examples being that Gannon played 13 seasons before he had double digit wins and then he had that 3 year streak where he was lights out but that was his 3rd team.

Vinny was the same, it took him 12 seasons to have his first double digit win season and he was also on his 3rd team.

But I do get the overall sentiment.

Archived