Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

6 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I just hope the next coach will have the opportunity to take his guy for qb

Haskins could throw 40 interceptions in the last 7 games and the new head coach will be in love with Haskins and excited to develop him.  That's just how it is.  When you are the owners pick, you get more than half a season to show your worth or lack thereof.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I gotta say, I think people are missing what the point of the gameplan Sunday was. I'm not fond of the fact that they had no response to the Bills stopping the run. But the gameplan was designed to develop Haskins in a way that allowed him to play a relatively mistake free game and work on the operations of the game.

Also going to say talking about the wind is valid.  Both teams have QB's with strong arms, a legit deep threat, and yet were gun-shy.

Check out how bad some of the punts were from both teams.  Either that's a coincidence, or the wind was affecting things.

Buffalo has a Top 5 pass defense.  Rookie QB did as you say, made the offense function in a normal manner.  Play clock wasn't a factor.  Haskins had no turnovers, and no throws I can remember right now where I thought it was an awful decision.

Game plan was ok.  Could it have been better?  Sure.  But it wasn't one that was bad for Haskins and the situation we were in.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Haskins could throw 40 interceptions in the last 7 games and the new head coach will be in love with Haskins and excited to develop him.  That's just how it is.  When you are the owners pick, you get more than half a season to show your worth or lack thereof.

Gruden was excited to work with Griffin until he walked in the door. Ill never forget how he played that ****. 

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Gruden was excited to work with Griffin until he walked in the door. Ill never forget how he played that ****. 

Right...and I'm certain, Gruden genuinely felt like he could work with Robert, or at least convinced himself that he could.  

I honestly don't think Gruden was ever the same man again after he destroyed Robert to the press in his first season.  Actually, Doc Walker has alluded to the same thing.  That Gruden came here with some edge to him and ever since they "waterboarded" (Doc's word) him over that, he pretty much tucked his tail and became buddies with whomever crossed his path.

45 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Seriously though, I can see why they would think they were close if they thought like fans did. They were 6-3 last season with a okish QB. Thinking they were one guy away from being 6-3 again is acceptable if you think like a fan. They shouldn't be that dumb though. The way they build this team on the backs on perpetually injured over preforming players was bound to fall apart. 

But then, you say all that and you get a rookie not ready to play and hope that Colt Mccoy can come through for you. It just wasnt smart. No other FO would make these moves. 

We were the biggest  fluke at 6-3 we werent even average any powerful offense we played was an auto loss every game was a nail biter if we were down 10 points it was an autoloss ...our qb had 10 tds in 9 games and didnt offer an fear vs opposing teams...

13 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

We were the biggest  fluke at 6-3 we werent even average any powerful offense we played was an auto loss every game was a nail biter if we were down 10 points it was an autoloss ...our qb had 10 tds in 9 games and didnt offer an fear vs opposing teams...

Oh I feel you. And thats obviously right in retrospect. Its a shame our FO thought like that. They make alot of money to make this work, they should be able to have more insight than a random fan like me. 

36 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Right...and I'm certain, Gruden genuinely felt like he could work with Robert, or at least convinced himself that he could.  

I honestly don't think Gruden was ever the same man again after he destroyed Robert to the press in his first season.  Actually, Doc Walker has alluded to the same thing.  That Gruden came here with some edge to him and ever since they "waterboarded" (Doc's word) him over that, he pretty much tucked his tail and became buddies with whomever crossed his path.

I feel like thats letting Gruden get away with being a pushover. I dont know any edgy asshole (using myself as an example) that would bend AND break after just one mistake. And then stay that way for 6 years. He shouldn't have done what he did with Griffin and the media. It was wrong and he should have been reprimanded for imo. But one mistake doesnt take the dog out of you like that. And if it does how are you supposed to coach guys in this sport who make mistakes all the time but you are telling them to forget about it and play the next down? 

Naw I dont like that. I respect Gruden more than to think he was that **** made. I hope he wasnt. 

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I feel like thats letting Gruden get away with being a pushover. I dont know any edgy asshole (using myself as an example) that would bend AND break after just one mistake. And then stay that way for 6 years. He shouldn't have done what he did with Griffin and the media. It was wrong and he should have been reprimanded for imo. But one mistake doesnt take the dog out of you like that. And if it does how are you supposed to coach guys in this sport who make mistakes all the time but you are telling them to forget about it and play the next down? 

Naw I dont like that. I respect Gruden more than to think he was that **** made. I hope he wasnt. 

I'm not sure he meant it overall, just with how he spoke to the media about his players.

In retrospect, I kind dug how he went on Robert because he was begging for it.  The comments Robert made that prompted Gruden to do that were pretty much the nail in Robert's coffin with me.  That was when I finally accepted that the dude was too far out there to ever be salvaged.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not sure he meant it overall, just with how he spoke to the media about his players.

Ahh ok. My mistake then. 

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

In retrospect, I kind dug how he went on Robert because he was begging for it.  The comments Robert made that prompted Gruden to do that were pretty much the nail in Robert's coffin with me.  That was when I finally accepted that the dude was too far out there to ever be salvaged.

What funny is that we agree here. Dude was doing too much then. AND couldn't stay healthy. The upside was gone and his fake ass persona was too. Thats around the time I gave up thinking he was going to be the guy I think. 

Saying all that, I still dont think Haskins even approaches that level of ****itude yet. Hes got a totally different attitude than Griffin. Not as out going. Not nearly as media savvy. Much more upfront and his confidence seems to come from really thinking he can learn it, rather than he can already do it. I like that so far. 

RG3 lead this team to a division championship as a rookie. He sold the most jerseys  for a player in a year. He was also offensive rookie of the year with a ton of rookie passing records. The excitement and hope surrounding him was off the charts. 

Haskins is not remotely close to what RG3 was. Haskins has done nothing except look lost and show he’s not an NFL QB. There is no comparison. 

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

RG3 lead this team to a division championship as a rookie. He sold the most jerseys  for a player in a year. He was also offensive rookie of the year with a ton of rookie passing records. The excitement and hope surrounding him was off the charts. 

Haskins is not remotely close to what RG3 was. Haskins has done nothing except look lost and show he’s not an NFL QB. There is no comparison. 

There isn't, but RG3 had a coaching staff that designed a completely new and revolutionary NFL offense around his talents. He wasn't handing it off up the gut on every 1st down.

Not saying Haskins would be as successful as RG3, as RG3 before it all fell apart was a once in a generation talent, but our staff is just not doing a good enough job putting him in the best possible situation.

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Sure, Griffin was a bright star that flickered out fast. He was impressive in every way as a rookie and got all the opportunity to show his talents and boy did he. 

There is no comparison to their skill sets or support structures at all. They are polar opposites in almost every way. And if that continues, we may be ok with Haskins in a few years. Unless we replace him first. I do think Haskins could use some of the support Griffin got here. I do wonder what Mike and Kyle could do with him. The offense they ran with the heavy play actions and half field reads I think would do him well. But in general like the Shannies as offensive minds. To me Gruden cant even compare. 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

When you are the owners pick, you get more than half a season to show your worth or lack thereof.

If you are a first round pick at ANY position picked by anyone you get more than half a season to show your worth. Ot at least you should.

39 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Haskins is not remotely close to what RG3 was.

Well he's not fast in a straight line that's for sure.

Reasonable to have doubts about if Haskins will develop into a quality NFL starter. Ridiculous to be writing him off completely after one start. 

34 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

RGIII was a huge bust.  Thankfully, Haskins cannot possibly fail as bad as Griffin because the Skins only spent 1 first round pick of him.  Hopefully, Haskins will become a successful QB in the League but he can't possibly because a mega bust like Griffin. 

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If you are a first round pick at ANY position picked by anyone you get more than half a season to show your worth. Ot at least you should.

Ultimately, I agree.  But there's a lot going on here.  It's not often you have a first round pick at the position, and are looking at potentially the 1st pick in the very next draft where popular thought says a can't miss prospect will be available.  Add to the fact we are certain to get a new head coach who will have his own feelings on the QB position.  Add to that, we should certainly have a new GM, who will select his own head coach --- wishful thinking, I know.  But there should be a lot of moving parts here, similar to what you saw in Arizona - where it wouldn't be insane to see the team part with Haskins if he doesn't make them fall in love here to end the season.  But given the owner was behind his selection, I don't think it would matter how he plays - he's staying and the next coach will have to at least pretend he's interested.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Ultimately, I agree.  But there's a lot going on here.  It's not often you have a first round pick at the position, and are looking at potentially the 1st pick in the very next draft where popular thought says a can't miss prospect will be available.  Add to the fact we are certain to get a new head coach who will have his own feelings on the QB position.  Add to that, we should certainly have a new GM, who will select his own head coach --- wishful thinking, I know.  But there should be a lot of moving parts here, similar to what you saw in Arizona - where it wouldn't be insane to see the team part with Haskins if he doesn't make them fall in love here to end the season.  But given the owner was behind his selection, I don't think it would matter how he plays - he's staying and the next coach will have to at least pretend he's interested.

The Skins have so many needs that even if Haskins fails to impress down the stretch I think they should trade down and address other needs and give Haskins a full year in 2020 to earn the job.    The poor kid has been given just 1 start and already some are talking about contingency plans.  Let's be patient and support this young man.

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It's not often you have a first round pick at the position, and are looking at potentially the 1st pick in the very next draft where popular thought says a can't miss prospect will be available. 

Actually it happens quite often that a team who takes a QB high also draft high the year after as well. Teams that are taking a QB high normally have had bad records (absent a massive trade up) and rookie QBs normally struggle at least in terms of wins and losses. Normally takes more than one draft and a QB to turn things around.

There is also no such thing as a can't miss prospect. Especially at QB.

For me on a team with so many holes (quality starters needed at LT, RT, WR, TE on offense and CB and Edge on defense at a minimum) it would be madness to draft another QB high next year. Build around Haskins maybe draft a QB 5th or 6th round to groom as a backup. If Haskins looks bad in 2020 we will be picking high AGAIN and guess what the 2021 QB draft class will include Trevor Lawrence who is probably more highly rated than anyone coming out in 2020 (and I love Tua as a prospect). 

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Actually it happens quite often that a team who takes a QB high also draft high the year after as well. Teams that are taking a QB high normally have have bad records (absent a massive trade up) and rookie QBs normally struggle at least in terms of wins and losses. Normally takes more than one draft and a QB to turn things around.

There is also no such thing as a can't miss prospect. Especially at QB.

I'm not saying he's a can't miss prospect, but whoever is doing the selecting for Washington could feel that he is.  This isn't just about having a bad record, it's about all the guaranteed and potential moving parts, in conjunction with the potential to select at the top of the draft.  

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not saying he's a can't miss prospect, but whoever is doing the selecting for Washington could feel that he is.  This isn't just about having a bad record, it's about all the guaranteed and potential moving parts, in conjunction with the potential to select at the top of the draft.  

And my point is if Haskins starts the whole of 2020 and does not develop we will be drafting high again in 2021. And meanwhile you could draft the next Peyton Manning and what chance does he have with nothing a tackle, only one WR worth covering, and no TE?

And if we play Haskins and he DOES develop into a quality starter we might actually turn this around pretty quickly given a decent coaching staff and a front office on teh same page as that staff. And the later (coaching staff and front office is a WAY bigger issue than QB).

26 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Well he's not fast in a straight line that's for sure.

Reasonable to have doubts about if Haskins will develop into a quality NFL starter. Ridiculous to be writing him off completely after one start. 

It’s usually pretty obvious early when a player is a bust. All of the leaks coming out point to Haskins being a complete bust. You normally don’t give up quickly because it is a bad reflection on the organization for making the pick and they fall for a sunk cost fallacy but they usually know when a player is a flop. Haskins is in that category. 

Charlie Casserly drafted Andre Johnson in the first round for us in 1996 at offensive tackle out of Penn State. He never played a down for us and was cut a year later. He didn’t do anything else in the NFL. Was cut by Miami and Detroit then out of the NFL.

if there are examples of a player being cut after being drafted then going on to have success elsewhere, it would support the premise that teams give up on players too fast. If you look at the Redskins history, particularly quarterback, there are no examples of players leaving here after being drafted then having success elsewhere. Which means we are holding on to failed assets too long.

If you took away the fact that Haskins was a first round pick, he would not be on the team. He’s taking up space because we sunk a cost into him. No point in wasting resources on him after a reasonable period. In a 1-8 season it doesn’t matter and actually more advantageous to lose so I am for playing him rest of the year.

The economics of his contract make it disadvantageous to cut him and you might get something in a trade for him in April, but I don’t think it’s too early to call him a bust. Most first round quarterbacks are. Haskins has hit every item on the checklist why he is the next one already. We can do the dance and give him more time to prove it with less doubt, but you have seen this movie before and you know exactly how it’s going to end...

4 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

It’s usually pretty obvious early when a player is a bust.

This one sentence and the history of developing QBs in the NFL invalidate the rest of your post and argument. I could list a LOT of QBs who looked like crap their rookie years who went on to have good or even great NFL careers.

As an example if you can find it watch some footage of Aaron Rodgers in preseason his rookie year. He could not get out of the huddle and get a snap off and when he did had no idea what he was doing. If he had been forced to play that year it would have been a train wreck. 

It's WAY too early to declare Haskins anything.

Please, go ahead and list those QBs who struggled their first year who didn’t turn out to be busts in this new era of the NFL. Goff is the only one I can think off. It’s a passing league now and offenses are and should be centered around QBs. It’s easier than ever to rack up passing yards. Haskins looks more lost than Ramsey, Jason Campbell, etc. 

3 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Please, go ahead and list those QBs who struggled their first year who didn’t turn out to be busts in this new era of the NFL. Goff is the only one I can think off. It’s a passing league now and offenses are and should be centered around QBs. It’s easier than ever to rack up passing yards. Haskins looks more lost than Ramsey, Jason Campbell, etc. 

How are you defining 'new era'? And on what basis?

Archived