Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: When will Gruden be fired

Riggo-toni

When will El Dano fire Jay Gruden?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. When will El Dano fire Jay Gruden?

• After we lose to the Giants
    • After we get humiliated by the Patriots
    • After we lose to the hapless Dolphins
    • After the end of the season
    • He comes back in 2020

It's really more important to make FO changes now than a coaching change. Getting a new FO in place takes time and would need to happen before effective decisions could be made.

That said, Jay has clearly lost the team, so it'd be helpful to make a change soon so that staff and young players can be honestly evaluated.

To me it has to be after we get our teeth kicked in by the Patriots. Why? The following week we're playing the Dolphins. It sends a terrible message across the league if Dan fired Gruden this week because the New Coach's first game would be against New England. It's a much smarter move to wait until after the NE game so you give that person an actual chance of winning and starting off on the right note. 

56 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

To me it has to be after we get our teeth kicked in by the Patriots. Why? The following week we're playing the Dolphins. It sends a terrible message across the league if Dan fired Gruden this week because the New Coach's first game would be against New England. It's a much smarter move to wait until after the NE game so you give that person an actual chance of winning and starting off on the right note. 

I agree here. If Gruden is on the verge of being fired, I say you do it after the team is thrashed by New England.  You switch coaches now and their first assignment on the job is going to go horribly. 

After the Patriots game Jay can pack it up and finish collecting his $25 million from the Danny.  He never had a chance with this Tampa Bay group in the front office.

He will end up on another team.  Snyder expects him to lose against the Patriots and he wants him to be miserable next Sunday.   He will deliver another half gallon 

of ice cream along with a written note that he is fired.  The Mr. Nice Guy demeanor as Head Coach did not work with these players.  At the beginning of every season Gibbs would cut a player that was half way good in order to send a message to the core players that no one was indispensable if they did not win games.  Gruden never did cut players to send messages.  We need a tougher coach because now the players are making so much money and are not as hungry as the old school Skins players.

14 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

At the beginning of every season Gibbs would cut a player that was half way good in order to send a message to the core players that no one was indispensable if they did not win games.  Gruden never did cut players to send messages.  We need a tougher coach because now the players are making so much money and are not as hungry as the old school Skins players.

Nah, just cut the following players: ones that don’t play, ones that routinely commit penalties, ones that like to criticize the coaches, ones that think that they make it up on the field as they go.

So not an argument to keep Jay, but who is going to want to come in and coach for this team?  I think you let Jay take the Pats beating either way.

Manusky was almost booted this offseason (and no one is asking for him to be the guy). 

Would Matt Cavanaugh be the likely choice?  Only other person I can think of is Rob Ryan (now that would be tank mode...haha).

I think they should wait until after the pummeling they are going to receive next week. Let Jay take the beating and then fire him and Manusky. The following week is against the Dolphins who have a bye before us, so changing coaches will throw out all the extra preparation the Dolphns are getting, because the replacement coaches won't have a track history to study.

Or, 

If Snyder is on the fence about firing Jay mid-season, he can accept there's no way we beat the Patriots and we go 0-5, and then use the Dolphins game to decide. If Jay doesn't get the guys to win against a team that is all but throwing their season, then fire him. 

1 hour ago, ShoutyBearHead said:

I pretty sure Gruden and the staff have lost the players now. He just seems perpetually confused during games and really seems to carry no authority at all.

YES, This 100% . It was obvious today this team has quit on him and packed it in for the year. Can't ever remeber in all my years of watching this team seeing a Redskins squad pack it in before October. Really sad

10 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Would Matt Cavanaugh be the likely choice?  Only other person I can think of is Rob Ryan (now that would be tank mode...haha).

Cavanaugh, Callahan, Tomsula. I can't believe Ryan in his first season with us would get HC. Kevin O'Connell maybe, but only if the team is dumb enough to drink it's own...... Lemon Koolaid.

I'm split on whether it's better to fire Gruden now or after the Pats game. Yes, starting a new head coach against the Patriots will suck, but right now, Gruden is a cancer. Keeping him in for the Patriots is telling the players it's okay to lose. It should never be okay to lose, even for the Patriots.

Archived