Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: When will Gruden be fired

Riggo-toni

When will El Dano fire Jay Gruden?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. When will El Dano fire Jay Gruden?

• After we lose to the Giants
    • After we get humiliated by the Patriots
    • After we lose to the hapless Dolphins
    • After the end of the season
    • He comes back in 2020

3 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

That he retained Haslett, then chose Barry over Wade Phillips, and subsequently Manusky over Pettine is why Gruden deserves to be fired. Part of being a good coach is hiring the best assistants.

I agree with this and it’s one of my biggest issues with Gruden, but something has also always told me the checks weren’t blank and the decisions weren’t solely his.  If he truly had the ability to select and pay whomever he wanted, no doubt he will have a tough time sleeping at night.

But at the same time, I often ask myself how much the disconnect  between the FO and what the coaches are trying to accomplish impacts what we see every Sunday.  Parts have been moved out and new ones moved in, yet we see similar results with all of them.  

18 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

That he retained Haslett, then chose Barry over Wade Phillips, and subsequently Manusky over Pettine is why Gruden deserves to be fired. Part of being a good coach is hiring the best assistants.

Which is why those decisions don't make sense for a head coach to make.

Gruden is either the biggest moron to ever have the title as head coach while also coincidentally being hired by the 2 biggest buffoons to ever run an NFL team, or those decisions were taken away from him by those buffoons and he went through the motions of doing job interviews, just like they went through the motions when he was hired.

IMO, Wade Phillips was the obvious choice and the SB he won later proves it, but I bet Bruce didn't want to pay him what he wanted. Just like everyone else we do know for a fact about.

There is no other way that Joe Berry made any sense, but he was a Bruce Tampa guy. Manusky is a former Redskin who also had to have been cheap.

3 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

IMO, Wade Phillips was the obvious choice and the SB he won later proves it, but I bet Bruce didn't want to pay him what he wanted. Just like everyone else we do know for a fact about.

The problem with this is that in his book, Phillips calls out this interview as an embarrassment where Gruden barely engaged him and acted aggressively stupid about their previous matchups in CIN. You think Gruden went INTO that interview knowing from Allen that they'd never pay him? And then made a jackass of himself for that reason? Idk man, it seems like Gruden himself didn't want Phillips and was forced to do the interview. 

For what it's worth, in that book Phillips also calls Barry Gruden's buddy. So it wasn't just an Allen connection there. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The problem with this is that in his book, Phillips calls out this interview as an embarrassment where Gruden barely engaged him and acted aggressively stupid about their previous matchups in CIN. You think Gruden went INTO that interview knowing from Allen that they'd never pay him? And then made a jackass of himself for that reason? Idk man, it seems like Gruden himself didn't want Phillips and was forced to do the interview. 

For what it's worth, in that book Phillips also calls Barry Gruden's buddy. So it wasn't just an Allen connection there. 

This is why we need to completely clean house. Everything is former friend glad handing and buddy buddy bull**** and you end up with making poor decisions for coaches and other personnel. Want to hire your buddy as  "Assistant coach for TE group hugs"? no problem. DC, OC, HC? GTFO with that ****. 

8 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Because Gruden already knew that he wasn't getting hired.

Just like when Gruden was hired. They still pretended to be interested in other coaches.

Gruden doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to be a douchebag to someone like Phillips. Especially with his son on staff at the time. It's one thing to know the interview is a waste of time...but Gruden is a notorious nice guy. It seems way more likely he'd act like a dick if HE didn't want Phillips but was forced to interview him before hiring his buddy. 

Allen interference either way, but in very different ways. 

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Gruden doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to be a douchebag to someone like Phillips. Especially with his son on staff at the time. It's one thing to know the interview is a waste of time...but Gruden is a notorious nice guy. It seems way more likely he'd act like a dick if HE didn't want Phillips but was forced to interview him before hiring his buddy. 

Allen interference either way, but in very different ways. 

Yeah I doubt Gruden acted like a straight up dick, but it was probably pretty obvious that the interview wasn't very serious and Gruden probably didn't really pretend all that well; he isn't exactly known for his poker face. Though I could see how a well respected guy like Wade could take that as a bit of an insult. 

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I doubt Gruden acted like a straight up dick, but it was probably pretty obvious that the interview wasn't very serious and Gruden probably didn't really pretend all that well; he isn't exactly known for his poker face. Though I could see how a well respected guy like Wade could take that as a bit of an insult. 

That's true, I could be taking Phillips commentary on the interview as a more dire condemnation than I should. Maybe Gruden just didn't bother to really prepare for it, and it was so obvious that that in itself was insulting.

6 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

So you already know that the Wade Phillips interview was a formality.

I just choose to blame the farce on the same clowns that I blame for Gruden agreeing to keep Haslett around for. Cheapskate Bruce and Doofus Dan.

Yeah, that's fair. I just don't know if it was a formality because Allen wouldn't pay him and Jay knew...or because Allen arranged the interview before Jay could hire his friend, so Jay went in knowing he'd never hire Phillips anyways, and feeling resentful about it. I think both scenarios are believable and bad. 

I’ve been a Gruden supporter for the most part but I believe it’s time for him to go.  His peeves with players, his d-coordinator choices, and, frankly, and his bromances with players who aren’t very good (Grant, McCoy) have turned me off to him.  

Of course I’m ok with him staying if Allen is gone.  Allen and his garbage FA signings and underwhelming drafts.  I watch the Cowboys make a good trade for Cooper and can’t help seeing the contrast between them and George Allen’s idiot son.

Also I don't think a coach who has chosen his position coaches and coordinators would be calling them out regularly during press conferences. He's pointing fingers because he can't just come out and say what he really wants to.

The Redskins NDA is real.

3 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Also I don't think a coach who has chosen his position coaches and coordinators would be calling them out regularly during press conferences. He's pointing fingers because he can't just come out and say what he really wants to.

The Redskins NDA is real.

It's been a ****show these last couple years. I can't help but think that if Jay could have been pleading the case that he hasn't chosen his assistant coaches or coordinators and had them foisted upon him by incompetent non-football people...that story would have been quietly leaked to the press a long time ago, like most other drama we learn about. Maybe you're right and it will come out afterwards...but Gruden could easily leak that info to his buddies in the media to defend himself, and could have at any point the last few years. I don't buy that he wouldn't, no one could prove he leaked it either. 

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

People believed that SM had full control until even months after he was gone and it started to leak.

Even though some of the bs was obvious the entire time.

Good point, actually. There's been a surprisingly tight ship since Shanahan left. Although I'm sure Scot didn't leak that because it reflected poorly on him and he was still receiving lots of praise, and he probably thought he could keep it together and earn some power back. Jay doesn't really have a reason not to leak stuff that makes him look better, he knows he's ****ed here and you can't prove leaks. 

It will be fascinating to see what leaks after Gruden is gone. He must have bombshells. 

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He must have bombshells. 

Yeah one of my predictions is the running game is actually all Calahan because if you remember when Gruden first started out the big complaint was that he refused to run the ball and always gave up on it.

Now the running game is just not even compatible with what he's trying to do.

Calahan is probably his bingo caller on first down. Dan loves doing that kind of moronic ****.

Wade philips and Petine didn’t want the job. It’s funny how fans still think any coaching position on this team is desirable. Three great young head coaches were in this staff and have now moved on (le fleur, Shannahan,  Mcvay). No one wants this job. It’s tainted with leprosy. Unless that way overpay, they will continue the same crap!

2 minutes ago, posse87 said:

Wade philips and Petine didn’t want the job. It’s funny how fans still think any coaching position on this team is desirable. Three great young head coaches were in this staff and have now moved on (le fleur, Shannahan,  Mcvay). No one wants this job. It’s tainted with leprosy. Unless that way overpay, they will continue the same crap!

Phillips was ready to take this job when he came in to interview for it. He wrote about it in his book. Instead he got a weird vibe from Gruden and a pretty unprofessional, antagonistic interview. We hired Barry instead. 

Now it's up for debate whether that was because Gruden didn't want him, or Allen didn't want to pay him...but Phillips was ready to coach here. 

Archived