Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: When will Gruden be fired

Riggo-toni

When will El Dano fire Jay Gruden?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. When will El Dano fire Jay Gruden?

• After we lose to the Giants
    • After we get humiliated by the Patriots
    • After we lose to the hapless Dolphins
    • After the end of the season
    • He comes back in 2020

11 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

This team is already done in at 0-3.  And he's said before he wouldn't fire a coach mid-season again.  He could have definitely fired Zorn (year 2), Shanny (year 4) and Spurrier (year 2) before the season was over but he didn't.  And while the Giants aren't a playoff team, neither are we and we are playing them on the road, so it's not going to be an easy game.  

Dan flew to Denver and courted Shanny while Zorn was still coaching.  Zorn wasn't fired in season because Mike wasn't going to take the job in season and do that to another coach.  He did however fire Vinny in season and hired Bruce.  Maybe Dan is done with interim personal and only wants to make a move if he's got his guy lined up and ready to move in.  But Dan wasn't dealing with an apathetic fanbase and attendance issues then like he is now.  

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If the Skins lose to the Giants and then get steamrolled by the Pats, which is likely, I could see it happening then.  At the latest, I see it coming during the bye week.  Going into the season, I was thinking it would happen after week 17.  But things are off to such a terrible start, with mass vitriol, and just the way Booger was talking during MNF, I have a feeling it's coming sooner than that.  I also expect the firing of Greg Manusky to happen at the same time.

I expect Bill Callahan to be promoted to interim head coach with Rob Ryan promoted to interim DC.

I kept saying on the game day thread, Booger knows something.   He has a relationship formed by a $34m contract given to him by Bruce.  He is somewhat an insider for the Tampa mafia.

Callahan as interim coach makes sense because he’s the assistant HC and he’s a Bruce guy.  

Ryan as DC, I’m not sure.  It’s possible.  Ray Horton is also possible.

Tomsula might resign if Manusky is fired. They are apparently tight.

i honestly don’t care, except I want somebody smart developing Haskins who has a plan.  And I want to see him play this year.  Put him in situations where he knows what’s going on, and get the kid some experience. 

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

This team is already done in at 0-3.  And he's said before he wouldn't fire a coach mid-season again.  He could have definitely fired Zorn (year 2), Shanny (year 4) and Spurrier (year 2) before the season was over but he didn't.  And while the Giants aren't a playoff team, neither are we and we are playing them on the road, so it's not going to be an easy game.  

I agree.  I don’t think Snyder fires Jay in season.

The absolute worst case scenario is Jay starts Haskins for the final 6 games, and they look good and go 3-3, giving Dan a reason to “stay the course” with Bruce and Jay to see the end of the Jay contract.

I doubt that happens, but it’s possible. 

Most likely scenario is no changes in season unless Jay wants to make a change himself.  Then something happens right after week 17.

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Because even though they’re trying to tank and we’re trying to win they might still be better...

there's no reason to assume that considering they were a bad team last year, we were a middling team, they've lost/given up more than we did and you can basically allow other teams to score

If El Dano ever hopes to bring in anyone other than Jim Zorn, he may want to wait until the offseason to fire anyone. Allow Gruden to finish out his contract and learn to live with your decisions the long and hard way Mr. Snyder. 

P.S. 

Stick to what you do good - football franchise management isn’t one of them. Bring in some football people and give them full reign. 

7 minutes ago, carex said:

there's no reason to assume that considering they were a bad team last year, we were a middling team, they've lost/given up more than we did and you can basically allow other teams to score

You asked why the Dolphins could bear us.  I answered the question.

Also, the NFL has seen plenty of absolutely horrid teams through the years, and only 2 have managed to go winless.  Which means odds are the Dolphins win a game somewhere, and so do the Skins.

I could see the Skins getting a win against the Giants or something and the Dolphins getting a win over us. 

If both teams are  0-5, Miami might be favored because the game is in Miami.

6 hours ago, l7986 said:

I hope Dan forces Jay to coach all the remaining games and in the process ruins him for anyone else that might think about hiring him. Don't give him the easy out of being fired. You built this **** team, now deal with the dam consequences. Want him so toxic that even a kids flag football team would look for someone else.

You're a monster 😮

4 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

And those dropping Callahan's name, nah.  This team isn't going to magically improve under him and start winning games.  Our defense is putrid, Bill ain't going to be able to fix that. 

Oh, by no means do I think he’s going to fix anything.  I just think he’d be named head coach because of his title and affiliation to Bruce.  If I had to guess, part of the reason for our complete inability to run the ball stems from the clustereff that is the union of Jay’s offense and Bill’s way.  You ever hear them try explain how the offense operates?  It’s no wonder it sputters.

8 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I am guessing after we lose to the Dolphins.

Wow I was there for the MNF massacre against the Eagles years back.  I'll be at the Dolphins game, losing to them i think would be more mortifying than that Eagles one regardless of the score. 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Oh, by no means do I think he’s going to fix anything.  I just think he’d be named head coach because of his title and affiliation to Bruce.  If I had to guess, part of the reason for our complete inability to run the ball stems from the clustereff that is the union of Jay’s offense and Bill’s way.  You ever hear them try explain how the offense operates?  It’s no wonder it sputters.

Yeah agree.  Cooley hammers this point a lot about Callahan-Jay.  If I recall it was Russell who said last off season that Jay wouldn't mind turning the page from Callahan but the FO wants him to stay put -- who knows if that's true but it wouldn't shock me if it were. 

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Maybe Horton as DC but I’d bet Callahan gets the HC nod due to his affiliation with Bruce.

Agree though maybe Ryan as DC.  The irony about Callahan is some slam Jay for not being a tough-animated enough.  Callahan while I know rides his unit hard in practice comes off personality wise much more chill than Jay. 

I told my kids last week:  Gruden gets fired after a) we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs; or b) right after the Bills game (giving an interim coach the benefit of the bye week to help settle him in a little bit).  I couldn’t decide between those two.  Since neither of those options were available, I voted for “after we lose to Miami.”

I’m reading people saying that Dan Snyder has said that he won’t fire mid-season, but it’s not like the coaches who he fired at the end of the season (Turner, Zorn, Shanahan) started winning when it was obvious they were going to get canned after the season finished (okay, maybe Schottenheimer is the exception here), so why bother waiting?

Lose to the Giants and his seat gets hot.  Losing to the Pats is pretty much a given, so, that won't add any fuel to the fire.  Lose to the Dolphins, his seat will explode throwing him so far from Redskins Park he'll land in Oakland (at least he will save money on plane fare).

A loss to the giants will precipitate changes.  Will it be Jay?   Certainly possible.  I would say likely.  

The issue with this of course is what others have said, it will likely leave Bruce in place.  Dan just does not have it in him to admit he was wrong about Bruce.  And for some reason he thinks he needs him for the stadium. 

Just sucks to to be a redskins fan right now. No good direction will be had unless dan really surprises us.  

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wow I was there for the MNF massacre against the Eagles years back.  I'll be at the Dolphins game, losing to them i think would be more mortifying than that Eagles one regardless of the score. 

Yeah agree.  Cooley hammers this point a lot about Callahan-Jay.  If I recall it was Russell who said last off season that Jay wouldn't mind turning the page from Callahan but the FO wants him to stay put -- who knows if that's true but it wouldn't shock me if it were. 

Agree though maybe Ryan as DC.  The irony about Callahan is some slam Jay for not being a tough-animated enough.  Callahan while I know rides his unit hard in practice comes off personality wise much more chill than Jay. 

I keep reading more and more posts about Jay and the FO disagreeing on assistant coaches and it is infuriating.  It also is another demonstration of the dysfunction.  

The coaching staff should 100% up to the HC. Period.  If they fail they go.  This BS of keeping guys jay would like to move on from is  another reason I think you will find a jay going somewhere else and having much more success.  

Its a wonder he has been able to win a single game with his cluster ****.  

As someone else mentioned in another thread:

4 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Urban Meyer.....

Dan swinging for the fences with a "big name" feels like a Mark McGwire / Sammy Sosa roided out homerun derby. Aka, it's probably going to happen.

It feels so Dan. 

And it will be sold all around the Haskins OSU connection. 

Another salient point someone else made in this thread is that Dan works in media res behind closed doors, arranging things while a dead man walking continues to coach, and Dan moves only until he "has his guy."

I'm guessing something absurd from Dan, like an offer of being the highest paid Head Coach in the NFL, will miraculously clear up Meyer's health problems. 

Does Meyer know Tom Cruise?

Archived