Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US and Iran Relations (News and Discussion)

visionary

Ok so sidebar real quick here

im all for reigning in war powers for the executive. Never ever liked it. 

The executives argument is always the need to act hastily. But couldn’t authority be granted to strike certain individuals or areas in certain situations?

for instance couldn’t we have congressional authority to strike against One of these guys we’ve deemed terrorist when the opportunity presents itself? Maybe they have a max lifetime of 12 months or something. 

Is that an unrealistic request?

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

But you get all pissed about Joe Biden wanting to save the postal service.

Not pissed off, i found it small, personally.

59 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Bull****

I’ll see you at the MGM then...

https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/how-and-when-to-use-aggression-effectively-no-limit-holdem-29315.htm

22 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Not pissed off, i found it small, personally.

I question the reasoning behind your disproportionate reactions to a Democrat asking for donations to save the USPS and a phony Republican blowing up the top general of a hostile and erratic foreign adversary with claims that the intelligence community he has spent the last three years telling us we can’t trust ("Human scum" I believe were his words) has evidence of an imminent threat and then refusing to provide that evidence to Congress. Especially when we have seen over & over that this president is a liar, free from the burdens of ethics and that the consequences of American agitation in the Middle East can be extremely, EXTREMELY dire.

Its almost as if your dismissal of people’s concerns on that subject and irritated response to Joe Biden’s entirely trivial and mundane statement are based more on the letter they put after their last name than on any logical analysis of the real world implications.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 8

I really don't care how this administration tries to Justify killing Soliemani.  They seem to be doing it ineptly (SOP for Trump) but that is irrelevant - there was more than enough standing justification to kill him for past conduct.  Are you now going ask if Osama bin Laden posed an imminent threat??? or Baghdadi???? or a crap load of other terrorists we killed over the years?

1 minute ago, nonniey said:

I really don't care how this administration tries to Justify killing Soliemani.  They seem to be doing it ineptly (SOP for Trump) but that is irrelevant - there was more than enough standing justification to kill him for past conduct.  Are you now going ask if Osama bin Laden posed an imminent threat??? or Baghdadi???? or a crap load of other terrorists we killed over the years?

We all know he was a bad guy. Nobody is sad that he's dead. If that was all there was to it, then great. But that's not all there is to it. There are legitimate concerns about what comes next.

Take everything you said above and replace the names with Sadam Hussein.

Donald Trump is happy to tell everyone that he opposed the war in Iraq (he didn't) because in retrospect, the real world consequences were even worse.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nonniey said:

They’re asking because Trump unwisely chose to offer that up as justification.  There is seemingly nothing beyond this administrations ability to mismanage.  

And I’m saying this as someone that agrees Iran needed to be hit for their habitual line stepping.  Weakness isn’t a virtue in these situations.  It doesn’t promote long term peace.  It just leads to more killing.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I’ll see you at the MGM then...

Uh oh.....didn’t realize you were a poker expert amongst all other things.

When you aren’t playing in WSOP but instead with a group of amateurs who are also on vacation (Biloxi Hard Rock is a good place to earn your vacation dollars back), checking is a good way to show them you’re scared and only play when you have something.  Assuming I am at a full table, I make a move every ~4-6 hands.  1/3 I’ll win on dumb luck cards.  The rest I’ll take because they aren’t used to me betting or they are chasing a pair of 8’s.  The people that come in aggressive off the bat are over-compensating for their skill level.  They may get a couple pots but almost always end up leaving the table broke.  

Now go google some more amateur card strategies.  And don’t forget your sunglasses and headphones.  No one at the table will take you seriously without them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Its almost as if your dismissal of people’s concerns on that subject and irritated response to Joe Biden’s entirely trivial and mundane statement are based more on the letter they put after their last name than on any logical analysis of the real world implications.

Ok. Sort of a baseless assumption but youre welcome to it. Biden is begging for money using the post office to do it. I think that is funny, personally, especially when there is a **** ton of real problems.  Not really sure there is a connection between the two things.

I already said that shouldn’t have wasted their time trying to come up with some pathetic excuse to kill the guy.... 

@TheGreatBuzz i only mentioned the MGM as in the one in DC, being a redskins website, and i’m not a pro but i does enjoy me some cheap sun glasses with a frame so dark... well, you know.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

9 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Ok. Sort of a baseless assumption but youre welcome to it. Biden is begging for money using the post office to do it. I think that is funny, personally, especially when there is a **** ton of real problems.  Not really sure there is a connection between the two things.

@TheGreatBuzz i only mentioned the MGM as in the one in DC, being a redskins website, and i’m not a pro but i does enjoy me some cheap sun glasses with a frame so dark... well, you know.

Why dark frames?

• Haha 1

The main difference between this and Iraq (so far at least) seems to be Trump's lack of actually wanting to go to war.  I am sure there are those around him locked & loaded in the event they can get in his ear enough, or if Iran did something stupid enough to provoke Trump, but while Trump doesn't seem to have the thirst for a middle east conflict, he also seems too feeble minded to understand that he is being slowly roped into the possibility of it happening anyway. 

Just about everything coming out of the mouths of Trump, Pompeo, and his administration are almost verbatim what we heard from the Bush administration in 2002 when he was trying to pin 9/11 on Iraq.  Pompeo has already changed his story to a much more vague "Iran was looking to take action in the region" from his earlier statement where he specifically said they had imminent attacks ready to go against U.S. interests.

This is the same nonsense, where we are all supposed to just not care that they do something, make up a justification, when questioned about it, slowly change the reasoning.    

Here's my "Trump is the Manchurian candidate" conspiracy theory:

In order to change the story away from protests at home, the Iranians asked their ally the Russians to tell Trump to kill Soleimani. In doing so, the protests are no longer front page news and Iranians are unified against their old foe.

6 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

The main difference between this and Iraq (so far at least) seems to be Trump's lack of actually wanting to go to war.

Gotta say, that's one thing that I'm actually grateful for, in all this.  

Considering a personality that seems to measure his own importance based on how much he can **** up, and my assumption that he's isolated with a bunch of manipulators who are actively working to get him into a war, I'm very glad to be wrong on this.  

I don't know why it is.  One theory I've seen is that maybe Putin is manipulating him into not actually getting into a war with a Putin client who won't win.  (And wouldn't that be ironic?  If, after all the talk about how Trump's toddler-hood will be restrained by "the grownups in the room", if it turns out that Putin was the grownup?)

But I'm glad that one of my fears hasn't materialized.  

Yet.  

7 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

In order to change the story away from protests at home, the Iranians asked their ally the Russians to tell Trump to kill Soleimani. In doing so, the protests are no longer front page news and Iranians are unified against their old foe.

I’ve wondered if the Iranian leadership was in on Soleimani’s death all along. Not only because it would draw attention away from the protests, but also because they feared his popularity and viewed him as a political threat in the long run.

• Like 3

I don’t think this new strategy by the Trump administration to claim that showing members of Congress classified information would put sources at risk is going to sit well with some members of Congress nor the public. I would say they absolutely bungled this situation from the get go but it fits the pattern of believing they are above the law as well as not believing in Democracy. 

1 hour ago, RansomthePasserby said:

I’ve wondered if the Iranian leadership was in on Soleimani’s death all along. Not only because it would draw attention away from the protests, but also because they feared his popularity and viewed him as a political threat in the long run.

Agreed.  Like I said, the #2 most powerful guy in a country getting assassinated usually leaves the #1 guy and the former#3 pretty happy --- leadership is either in on the plot, or green-lighted the move through a mutual benefactor (i.e. Vladmir).  

The whole ordeal has a pre-determined, staged feel to it.  Just look how quickly and eager Iran was to declare their satisfaction with the "revenge" missile strikes that were very obviously for show only.  And how quickly Trump was to accept and agree that Iran had "stood down".  Seriously I dont think the fires had even beet put out yet, but somehow everyone has agreed that this the end of things for now.  Its not even been a full week, and the whole situation wont even be front page news by tomorrow.   Step back and think about that for a second  --and think if you would have thought that this was possible one week, when people were freaking out like WWIII had just started.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Koala said:

Agreed.  Like I said, the #2 most powerful guy in a country getting assassinated usually leaves the #1 guy and the former#3 pretty happy --- leadership is either in on the plot, or green-lighted the move through a mutual benefactor (i.e. Vladmir).  

The whole ordeal has a pre-determined, staged feel to it.  Just look how quickly and eager Iran was to declare their satisfaction with the "revenge" missile strikes that were very obviously for show only.  And how quickly Trump was to accept and agree that Iran had "stood down".  Seriously I dont think the fires had even beet put out yet, but somehow everyone has agreed that this the end of things for now.  Its not even been a full week, and the whole situation wont even be front page news by tomorrow.   Step back and think about that for a second  --and think if you would have thought that this was possible one week, when people were freaking out like WWIII had just started.   

Yeah, this is looking more & more like it was staged. Iran talked with Putin & told him to get his boy in DC to take him out. Tell him it will help his re-election bid & distract from his impeachment. White House Occupant willingly obliged. Iran is happy & Putin continues to laugh at the control he has.  

White House Occupant now tells us to trust the US intel community. Then he's stupid enough to ask NATO to help out in the Mideast after berating them for the past 4 years. ****ing idiot. 

I saw an interview with John Kerry last night giving some details on the timeline between when the Iran deal was signed through present situation. When it comes to the whole "Obama giving Iran money in a suitcase in the middle of the night" BS, I knew that the money was Iran's frozen assets, but what I didn't know previously was that Iran actually took the U.S. to court over the money and won, and it was a court order to release that money (with interest).  These kind of details don't get shared when all people want to hear is rhetoric. 

Even if you disagree with the Obama/Kerry approach, it was a bit refreshing to listen to someone who actually sounded like they had a clue about the region and understood how things worked in that region.  On the flip-side, even if you like Trump policy-wise, it hurts the head to listen to the man try to talk about middle east geo-politics.  I don't think anyone, even most of his supporters, think this kind of stuff is something he ever gave much thought to before having to out of necessity.  And going by what we've heard from the administration the last few days, the people advising him don't seem to have much thoughts on the matter either.

I think at the end of the day, we can all take solace that neither country seems very interested in going to war, but the question will remain, why exactly did this strike happen in the first place?  What was it supposed to accomplish?  It's not like this guy was a Bin Laden that was hiding out in caves and shanty buildings that had to be found.  If it was just about killing him, it could have happened any time.  

Edited by NoCalMike

The one problem with a roundabout "Iran was in on it" theory is that supposedly the killing was put on the table by US officials as an extreme option they didn't think Trump would take, and that otherwise it wouldn't have come up.

Combined with their being plenty of Iran hawks scattered throughout the government who still want war, and it's very unlikely some mole suggested it at the behest of Iran or the Russians.  Not impossible, but unlikely.

5 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

The one problem with a roundabout "Iran was in on it" theory is that supposedly the killing was put on the table by US officials as an extreme option they didn't think Trump would take, and that otherwise it wouldn't have come up.

I actually read that too.  Trump basically had a Homer Simpson moment and picked the shiny pink donut w/sprinkles object option, when that was only being presented as an extreme option, in order to make the other options look better.