Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US and Iran Relations (News and Discussion)

visionary

22 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Come on GOP, removal from office has got to be looking a bit more enticing at the moment, yeah?

Nah man, when confronted with facts, we know they will double and triple down on their own stupidity

More important to stay loyal to incompetence than to maybe put the best interests of the country first

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Nah man, when confronted with facts, we know they will double and triple down on their own stupidity

More important to stay loyal to incompetence than to maybe put the best interests of the country first

Doug "Trying To Lick Boots Like Lindsay Graham" Collins just said Dems are mourning the death of Soulemani.  

🙈

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

I actually read that too.  Trump basically had a Homer Simpson moment and picked the shiny pink donut w/sprinkles object option, when that was only being presented as an extreme option, in order to make the other options look better. 

If that’s true, we are incredibly lucky the whole thing turned out the way it did.

26 minutes ago, illone said:

Doug "Trying To Lick Boots Like Lindsay Graham" Collins just said Dems are mourning the death of Soulemani.  

🙈

We have posters here who swear they aint dumb enough to be republicans that strangely repeat the same lie. Weird! 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 12:08 AM, Renegade7 said:

Case can be made that World War 1 was a direct cause for World War 2.  Though I've heard the saying no one knows what World War 3 will be fought with, but that World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones.

Actually, I’d say it’ll be fought without weapons but it’ll be bacteria and insects doing the fighting.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Come on GOP, removal from office has got to be looking a bit more enticing at the moment, yeah?

killing the second in charge in Iran that’s been tied to attacks that have killed Americans, is not going to anger people on the right. It’s going to make them happy. 

This isn’t the event to rally support from them. I’m surprised any R senators are saying this stuff publicly. 

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

killing the second in charge in Iran that’s been tied to attacks that have killed Americans, is not going to anger people on the right. It’s going to make them happy. 

This isn’t the event to rally support from them. I’m surprised any R senators are saying this stuff publicly. 

I think he's referring to the non-response on whether officials would be ok with Trump having the SL taken out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tshile said:

Not referring the strike itself, more about what has happened since.  The outcome of the briefing where they pretty much offered up zero information as to any actual threats that were "imminent" nor would they answer when asked if Trump would seek congressional approval to take out actual leaders.  Then of course today, Trump's tweet saying the GOP needed to show true loyalty by voting unanimously against the War powers act. 

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Garbage people.

It's good to know they thought the same thing during the Obama administration...   

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

And to think we are not even to the dangerous part of him being King yet.

Millions of Americans Devastated to Learn They Were Ardent Fans of Soleimani This Whole Time

5e11fde1ba819.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

People — probably American Democrats in what is probably America — mourn the death of Iranian Maj. Gen. Qasem Soleimani. (Ebrahim Noroozi/AP)

By

Columnist
Jan. 9, 2020 at 12:25 p.m. EST

“The only ones that are mourning the loss of Soleimani are our Democrat leadership and our Democrat presidential candidates.” — Nikki Haley

“They are in love with terrorists. We see that they mourn Soleimani more than they mourn our Gold Star families.” — Rep. Douglas A. Collins (R-Ga.)

USA, TODAY — Millions of Americans who opposed President Trump’s decision to kill Iranian Maj. Gen. Qasem Soleimani in a drone strike were devastated to learn that, actually, they loved the terrorist leader and could not possibly oppose this move for any other reason.

“Honestly,” Ann American said, “I could not have picked the guy out of a lineup a week ago, and my reservations around his killing were that it felt like a dangerous escalation that could lead to war, but it turns out that I’m actually a big fan of his who is sorry that he is dead. That’s the only reason I’m upset about this. Who knew! And I hate America? I need to buy very different lawn decorations."

Homes were rocked by the revelation. “I thought I was in love with my wife,” Greg Gregson said. “We’ve been married 30 years, and I thought we had something, but …” Greg sighed. “I guess that wasn’t really love. All this time, I’ve been in love with terrorists. But the really devastating thing is — so has she. I just wish we’d been able to talk to each other instead of finding this out the way we did, by watching Rep. Doug Collins speak to Lou Dobbs on the Fox Business channel. She is upstairs packing her things while I drink this iced tea and shed bitter tears.”

“Never oppose what the president chooses to do,” Gregson added, taking a sip of his iced tea and shedding a bitter tear. “It could — your whole marriage could be wrecked in the blink of an eye.”

“Certainly came as a shock to me,” observed one American who opted to remain nameless, now that he knew he was a supporter of terror. “Here I was thinking that as an American, I could criticize the decisions of our elected officials, but it turns out that I am with the terrorists.” He sighed, adding apologetically that it had been so long since 2003, he had forgotten how these things went.

Edited by Dan T.

9 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

just to put it in perspective, no one was freaking out when Obama bypassed the war powers resolution...

https://foreignpolicy.com/2014/09/10/obama-86d-the-war-powers-resolution/

This move by dems is a political stunt, and I’m not surprised Trump has instructed his party to vote against it.

Do you get the difference between ISIS and Iran? Because that's what we are talking about. You can pretend it's the same thing to defend Trump, but it's not. Congress hasn't pushed for authority when it comes to fighting ISIS. Not when Obama did it and not when Trump did it. If Obama was going to start a war with Iran, there absolutely would've been a war powers debate in Congress. 

Now if you want to argue that both Presidents should've gotten authority for all actions and Congress repeatedly shirked it's responsibility, that's fair. Congress has ceded far too much power to the executive.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

just to put it in perspective, no one was freaking out when Obama bypassed the war powers resolution...

This move by dems is a political stunt, and I’m not surprised Trump has instructed his party to vote against it.

Really? I thought I would have to Google some to find the quotes, but these are from the very article you posted

"If, in fact, the president is intentional and deliberate in escalating the level of U.S. engagement in the region and concurrently saying he has the authority to do so without authorization from Congress, then I find myself at odds with the administration," Rep. Scott Rigell, a Virginia Republican who got 115 colleagues to sign a letter last year asking Obama to seek congressional authorization before launching potential airstrikes in Syria, said in an interview with Foreign Policy Tuesday night.

"For a Harvard-educated lawyer, the legal gymnastics of the president are getting hard for me to follow," a Senate aide told Foreign Policy.

"No president should have a blank check, and that when you are talking about hostilities, the president needs to come to Congress — now, in what form I’m not too worried about," Rep. Eliot Engel, a New York Democrat and a member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, told Foreign Policy. "

"I urge the president and my colleagues to resist the understandable temptation to cut corners on this process," Sen. Tim Kaine, a Virginia Democrat, said from the Senate floor Tuesday night. "There is no more important business done in the halls of Congress than weighing whether to take military action and send service members into harm’s way."

Rigell again: "The president ought to use all of his persuasive abilities to develop a specific strategic objective and back it up with a defined military strategy to bring to Congress," he said. Doing otherwise will "not provide him with the moral authority that he would be buttressed with and fortified with if he knew the representatives of the American people were standing with him in this."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Asking a president to get authorization is a far cry from passing legislation to limit his ability to respond militarily, but even if it were the same thing, what I’m arguing is that freaking out about things that are routinely done is foolish.

Or maybe it’s not, but this is nothing new and doesn’t make trump a dictator for doing what all other presidents before him have done.

At least it looks like Tim Kaine was consistent.

50 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Do you get the difference between ISIS and Iran? 

They are both terrorist organizations, and they both have the ability to cause pain... like one is a mosquito and one is a bee but they are both bugs. 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Perhaps people weren't freaked out about it because the person in charge was not a total buffoon?

Regardless, I am not comfortable with any President having the unilateral power, regardless if I like their policy overall.

If it took someone like Trump being in power, to bring the congress to their senses about having ever given the White House that kind of power (or perhaps a legal gray area) in the first place?  Then I would say it is still good that they are finally doing what should be done on the issue, finally.

With all THAT said, it seems like this issue is so foggy to begin with, especially since "The War On Terror" seemed to change a lot of things?  Not even sure what is legal or not legal anymore. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

I doubt Iran would be in a hurry to admit that if it’s true.  It would mean they killed more Iranians in their rush to strike back at the US than anyone else.  As far as mistakes go, that’s pretty damn bad.

• Like 1