Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US and Iran Relations (News and Discussion)

visionary

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

So, does your time frame only start when America does something? Time doesn’t start when Iran killed a contractor, set mines on oil tankers, or attacked an embassy? 

He clearly answered your question in a follow up post   - Yes it only starts when America does something.

Edited by nonniey
  • Haha 1

Just now, nonniey said:

He clearly answered you question in a follow up post   - Yes it only starts when America does something.

yes, I read that after.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the comments that followed his, I thought we were going to go all in on the America bad Iran good wagon.

i agree with @daveakl the most though. There is always something the other side did first to justify the ****ty thing your doing and vice versa...

31 minutes ago, Destino said:

Is that when you imagine the US conflict with Iran began?  Why draw arbitrary lines that blame others for Iran shooting down a commercial airliner over their own airspace.  Are you afraid Trump will suddenly be viewed a hero if he’s not blamed for everything wrong in the world?  He won’t.

iran did this and they should own it.

No, pointing out that this was inflamed by trump and it did not need to be. I have clear memories of why and how this began. I also realize that there is no clear and easy solution. It is Iran's fault for shooting down a plane, but this would not have been an issue if trump had made better decisions in this entire process. trump will never be viewed as a hero except by idiots.  

Edited by Skintime
  • Like 2

Trump also made various threats about bombing Iran, so while the main responsibility is the people who shot it down he does have some responsibility for raising tensions and making everyone more nervous.  

Edited by visionary
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

So, does your time frame only start when America does something? Time doesn’t start when Iran killed a contractor, set mines on oil tankers, or attacked an embassy? 

Or when we pulled out of the Iran deal?  The assassination can't really be compared to other actions because it's so unique and such a change from the way things were done.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, visionary said:

Or when we pulled out of the Iran deal?  The assassination can't really be compared to other actions because it's so unique and such a change from the way things were done.

Shooting down a US drone, missile strikes on Saudi refineries, and bombing a Japanese tanker are all fairly unique actions as well.  Supplying IEDs to murder Americans across the region wasn’t exactly common place when it began either.  

Better to just hold people accountable for their own actions.  The only actions anyone can control are their own.  The US is to blame when they accidentally bomb a wedding or hospital.  No one is running around screaming about how other made us tense and thus more prone to error.  It’s a mistake, a bad one, and we own it.  The same applies to everyone else. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PCS said:

Libya comes to mind with the Obama administration.  Took flak from both sides of the aisle for his actions there. Critics felt he was sidestepping the resolution or flat out ignoring it. 

Hell he even took flack from the republicans on both sides

first they were mad he didn’t do anything then they were mad he did  (Or something like that I forget the details)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

They are both terrorist organizations, and they both have the ability to cause pain... like one is a mosquito and one is a bee but they are both bugs. 

Right but one is also a sovereign nation and the other is not 

which everyone knows is the fundamental issue and difference here

so either you’re not smart enough to know a fundamental piece of this that everyone else understands, or you’re just presenting a lie for an argument (and poorly)

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

so either you’re not smart enough to know a fundamental piece of this that everyone else understands, or you’re just presenting a lie for an argument (and poorly)

Or you are making a distinction without a difference.  A terrorist is a terrorist. A terrorist organization is a terrorist organization.  I’m not interested in the technicalities. 

What is the reason you care about the “difference” for. For instance, if America didn’t see the iranian government as legitimate, then is the killing of one of their generals really an attack against a state? 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

ISIS declared a Caliphate....or are you saying international recognition is critical?

7 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Or you are making a distinction without a difference.  A terrorist is a terrorist. A terrorist organization is a terrorist organization.  I’m not interested in the technicalities. 

What is the reason you care about the “difference” for. For instance, if America didn’t see the iranian government as legitimate, then is the killing of one of their generals really an attack against a state? 

Is your position really that there is no difference between Iran and ISIS?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Is your position really that there is no difference between Iran and ISIS?

Nope. Isis and The Revolutionary Army are different, and they are similar. They are both terrorist organizations though.

The fact that a state chooses to sponsor a terrorist group doesn’t give the terrorist group any authority or legitimacy.

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Nope. Isis and The Revolutionary Army are different, and they are similar. They are both terrorist organizations though.

The fact that a state chooses to sponsor a terrorist group doesn’t give the terrorist group any authority or legitimacy.

Okay then, why were they designated a terrorist organization only this year?  They have existed for decades.

A terrorist is somebody like Bin Laden who killed innocent people.  Isis does the same thing.  

Ask yourself this.  Is the revolutionary guard's main target even America?  I doubt that.  

How come terrorists who come here to kill Americans never from Iran?  When did that happen?

Edited by redskins59

3 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So what does the rest of the world do about this?  Particularly Canada that had 60+ citizens on that plane.

Great question. Iran is going to have to shell out some money. Sanctions won't really do anything. Maybe there is a military response by Canada and England? A show of force. Iran should understand that is an option considering they ****ed this up. 

9 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So what does the rest of the world do about this?  Particularly Canada that had 60+ citizens on that plane.

We try to talk Canada out of going to war.  Those barbarians have to stay on the peaceful path or we’ll all mark these days as when it all went wrong.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

Okay then, why were they designated a terrorist organization only this year?  They have existed for decades.

He was designated a terrorist in 05 and violated sanctions in 2011...where do you get THIS year?

2 minutes ago, twa said:

He was designated a terrorist in 05 and violated sanctions in 2011...where do you get THIS year?

I was talking about the revolutionary guard. They were designated a terrorist organization only this year.

Nonetheless, I don't think Soleimani is a terrorist even if he was designated a terrorirst in 05.  He hasn't attacked us here.  Regional attacks are all warfare.  

22 minutes ago, twa said:

ISIS declared a Caliphate....or are you saying international recognition is critical?

It would be a key component. I don’t know if critical is the right word

Don’t join in this stooge show of pretending the Iranian Revolutionary Guard is the same thing as ISIS or other terrorist organizations. 

2 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

I was talking about the revolutionary guard. They were designated a terrorist organization only this year.

Nonetheless, I don't think Soleimani is a terrorist even if he was designated a terrorirst in 05.  He hasn't attacked us here.  Regional attacks are all warfare.  

Terrorists are only terrorists if they attack americans in america. Wow.  

I don’t reckon previous administrations had the courage to do the right thing, regarding the designation... but putting a sticker on it doesn’t change anything anyway. 

• Like 1