Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US and Iran Relations (News and Discussion)

visionary

1 hour ago, redskins59 said:

Based on Trump's tweet, I think this is it.  We are deescalating.

So Iran's missiles appear to easily reach American bases. This is now. They're going to keep improving their technology.

Of course their missiles can reach US bases in Iraq, they’re a neighboring country.  Was this ever in doubt?  What stops Iran from attacking the US directly isn't missile technology, its the reality that war with the US isn’t a fight they can win.  It’s not even a fight they can fight.  

Iran’s missile attack today was an attempt to save face.  They thumbed their noses at the tiger, but knew better than to pull its tail. 

• Like 8

On 1/7/2020 at 10:08 PM, Destino said:

What stops Iran from attacking the US directly isn't missile technology, its the reality that war with the US isn’t a fight they can win.  It’s not even a fight they can fight.

You can if your smart and realize there are other ways to wage war besides blowing **** up. Just ask Russia.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

iran has been doing that for the past 30 years, it’s not a reason to not take out a terrorist when you get the chance...

I was making a general statement unrelated to whether killing Soleimani was or was not a wise decision. I don’t know the answer to that. I know that it’s not so cut & dry and that it may be years before we realize the answer.

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

Wait wasn’t it Iran that accused us of being able to cause earthquakes?

It would not surprise me if we do in fact have that capability.

edit: Yeah, Don Jr just tweeted “Used our top secret earthquake machine.”

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Serious thought I had an hour ago:

this is all so trump can start a war and then play the “you can’t change presidents during war” card

Yeah, I’ve been dubious about Trump’s whole motive behind all of this for some time.

Also, it bears noting that both Iraq and N Korea were relatively contained before this whole cluster**** administration took over.  Now, here we are on the brink of war with Iran.  Trump should get no leeway in a war that he could have likely prevented simply by following the status quo of Barack Obama.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

Also, it bears noting that both Iraq and N Korea were relatively contained before this whole cluster**** administration took over.  Now, here we are on the brink of war with Iran.

Eh. Let’s not get carried away. Tensions with Iran have been high for a long time. The worst concern I heard from experts when trump took over was that he could easily be convinced to start a war with Iran. We’ve been proxy warring with them in Yemen and in other ways for a while now. 

Iraq has been a weird situation too. 

im not going to suggest trump knows what he’s doing, but if we were to set the stage for a buffoon to **** it all up we did about as good of a job as you could. 

8 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

edit: Yeah, Don Jr just tweeted “Used our top secret earthquake machine.”

Hahaha

even the dumb ones get a good one in once in a while 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Yeah let’s learn from the beginning of the last century and NOT plunge the world into multiple World Wars

If it makes you feel better, pretty sure the 21st century only has the ability to muster a single World War. Won’t be much left to fight about after it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Oh I wouldn't say they aren't, but I think more of the country is skeptical this go around when it comes to possible full-blown War in the middle-east as opposed to 2002 when it seemed like the majority was convinced it was something that had to be done, not to mention attacking anyone who disagreed as being Un-American and/or "Terrorist sympathizers" 

NO, the Trumpsters are ready for Nuclear War.  Already seeing my Trumper friends posting be prepared for War, be prepared for Nuclear War.  The Trumpsters are all in for war and if this escalates; Trump will give it to them.  Hell, a nation at war might give Trump an edge if they aren't heavy U.S. casualties. People will be reluctant to change horses in a war; though we have changed horses before. 

8 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

If it makes you feel better, pretty sure the 21st century only has the ability to muster a single World War. Won’t be much left to fight about after it. 

Case can be made that World War 1 was a direct cause for World War 2.  Though I've heard the saying no one knows what World War 3 will be fought with, but that World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones.

27 minutes ago, tshile said:

Eh. Let’s not get carried away. Tensions with Iran have been high for a long time. The worst concern I heard from experts when trump took over was that he could easily be convinced to start a war with Iran. We’ve been proxy warring with them in Yemen and in other ways for a while now.  

Yes, but the key word was proxy wars   Trump has escalated and now risks direct war.   It would have been like if the US had targeted Soviet or Chinese liasons in Vietnam, even though everyone knew they were arming the NVA/VC which in turn were attacking US forces, its foolish to risk a full-blown war with a major power like that.

Iran 'threatens to hit Israel and Dubai if the US retaliates over missile attack'

This classic H&O song, comes to my mind today.

We are on the verge of WW3.  If Trump responds and then IRan does hit Dubai and Israel; then WW3 begins.  That will draw everyone into a new World War.  Nuclear Weapons will be used.

Edited by Rdskns2000

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

You can if your smart and realize their are other ways to wage war besides blowing **** up. Just ask Russia.

That plan has a much greater chance of success if there is something, like say a massive nuclear weapons stockpile, stopping the other country from simply kicking down the door.  Iran can only go so far, and lately they've been creeping out wondering where the lines are drawn for some time.  Looks like they found one.

Hopefully the US accepts that their murderous temper tantrum today, doesn't merit additional military reprisal.  We don't need another war.  I don't want another war. 

12 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Iran 'threatens to hit Israel and Dubai if the US retaliates over missile attack'

We are on the verge of WW3.  If Trump responds and then IRan does hit Dubai and Israel; then WW3 begins.  That will draw everyone into a new World War.  Nuclear Weapons will be used.

I'm not convinced that Israel couldn't handle Iran on their own, and they might just do that if Iran gets the UN out of the way by starting a shooting war. 

As for the WW3 concerns, which global powers would enter such a war on Iran's side?     

If there's one thing I can blame Obama for, it was not getting out the Iraq when he had the chance.  Really there was no point in us being there after roughly 2010. Yes there was ISIS but we had Turkey and Saudia Arabia as airbases.  Heck we probably could stuck a carrier in the Med and I don't even think Assad would have cared if we flew over Damascus to get rid of ISIS

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Destino said:

That plan has a much greater chance of success if there is something, like say a massive nuclear weapons stockpile, stopping the other country from simply kicking down the door.  Iran can only go so far, and lately they've been creeping out wondering where the lines are drawn for some time.  Looks like they found one.

Hopefully the US accepts that their murderous temper tantrum today, doesn't merit additional military reprisal.  We don't need another war.  I don't want another war. 

I'm not convinced that Israel couldn't handle Iran on their own, and they might just do that if Iran gets the UN out of the way by starting a shooting war. 

As for the WW3 concerns, which global powers would enter such a war on Iran's side?     

Russia and China.

Also, if other countries' citizens get killed in the U.S.-IRan tit for tat; that will drawn in other countries.

Edited by Rdskns2000

2 hours ago, visionary said:

Uh....really hope this isn't related....(I do remember they used to have a lot of crashes)

Weird timing. Wouldn't surprise me if it was accidentally shot down by the Iranians. Imagine their air defense personnel may be a little jumpy.

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DCSaints_fan said:

If there's one thing I can blame Obama for, it was not getting out the Iraq when he had the chance.  Really there was no point in us being there after roughly 2010. Yes there was ISIS but we had Turkey and Saudia Arabia as airbases.  Heck we probably could stuck a carrier in the Med and I don't even think Assad would have cared if we flew over Damascus to get rid of ISIS

I distinctly remember getting out of Iraq in 2011 (As in personally remember).  That turned out to be a blunder of the 1st magnitude which led to the establishment of the ISIS caliphate (Which dragged us back into Iraq) and expanded Iranian influence immensely in Iraq.

Edited by nonniey

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Case can be made that World War 1 was a direct cause for World War 2.  Though I've heard the saying no one knows what World War 3 will be fought with, but that World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones.

Yes that’s what I was getting at. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Destino said:

Of course their missiles can reach US bases in Iraq, they’re a neighboring country.  Was this ever in doubt?  What stops Iran from attacking the US directly isn't missile technology, its the reality that war with the US isn’t a fight they can win.  It’s not even a fight they can fight.  

Iran’s missile attack today was an attempt to save face.  They thumbed their noses at the tiger, but knew better than to pull its tail. 

Ehh,It's a fight that America doesn't want to get into either.  Isn't that obvious? Iran has alliances all over the region.  You want to start a regional warfare? Where's all this skirmish going on right now?  Iran or is it Iraq?

Of course America always wins wars, but then what?  Stuck in Iraq and Afghanistan for decades.

I am reading that Iran has the largest arsenal of ballistic missile in all of the middle east. What did Afghanistan have? It was  probably the poorest country in the world even back then. This year alone, there were 20 dead Americans in Afghanistan. Not a big number, but this after close to 20 years.

What's a win for America? Military vs military?  Yeah, that's a win.  Who doubts that? Then what? 

The Ayotollah has his followers no matter how unpopular he is, just as Saddam had his supporters. So prepare to fight his followers for decades.

With a country 4 times the size of Iraq, good luck with that. It's also a much bigger country population wise.

• Like 1