Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

If Mclaurin ends the season with two big games I think he’s got a shot.. he’s Definitely the underdog in the scenario. 
This is where I think it stands today. 

1. Jacobs (Most likely out the ROS)

2. AJ Brown (averaging 10 yds Rac, wow)

3. Terry (more catches, tied TD’s w/ Brown, less avg/catch, and 50 less yards.)

4. Kyler (eh, OK but work to do) 

5. Minshew

(May have a better case than Kyler)

Let’s Go TERRY! Lol

3 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

If Mclaurin ends the season with two big games I think he’s got a shot.. he’s Definitely the underdog in the scenario. 
This is where I think it stands today. 

1. Jacobs (Most likely out the ROS)

2. AJ Brown (averaging 10 yds Rac, wow)

3. Terry (more catches, tied TD’s w/ Brown, less avg/catch, and 50 less yards.)

4. Kyler (eh, OK but work to do) 

5. Minshew

(May have a better case than Kyler)

Let’s Go TERRY! Lol

I saw an NFL article where they polled NFL front office members on the awards for this year. Jacobs was the clear-cut favorite for OROY - and I think that's fine as he had one hell of a season.

Even if Terry closes the season with two strong games, I don't think he has a realistic shot. In that poll he did not even get a single vote - even Miles Sanders got 1 vote. It is mostly because he plays here. If he would play for another (better) team I am sure he would be on the map more than he is now. It's a shame as he has been lights out.

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

Imagine Terry's stat line if we hadn't had such a cluster**** carousel at QB this year...if he were on a team with an already established franchise QB.

Wouldnt want to..wanna imagine it just the way it is and how much he COULD make this offense fun to watch again.

His ability to terrify people deep+ ability to sell routes will allow him to eat all day on crosses, slants, curls and deep posts.

He's got perennial 100 catch and 10+ td season type stuff. And for a smaller guy he's a good blocker. 5 tool player if this was baseball.

It finally happened for us, after suffering through gumps like Rod Gardner, Taylor Jacobs, Thomas/Kelly and Doctson.

It's a damn shame Reed finally cracked. Can you imagine the damage that couldve been done with both of them on the field together?

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/20/2019 at 5:07 PM, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Terry is a stud. What a pick.

Sidenote, AP has come to the head of the table lately. Classy vet.

I don’t necessarily like the defenseless receiver rule, but how was that not a defenseless receiver personal foul?

From Mark Bullock in analyzing Terry vs Press Man Coverage against Stephon Gilmore (arguably the best CB in the game right now)

Eh, I guess the vids don't work cuz their behind a pay-wall but the descriptions should be enough.

In the third quarter, the Redskins called one of their core play-action concepts, the strike concept. McLaurin is supposed to run 10 yards before breaking inside and finding space over the middle. Gilmore plays up at the line of scrimmage in press coverage with outside leverage. He gets his hands on McLaurin to try to disrupt his route timing and force him to release inside. McLaurin takes the inside release but quickly straightens off his route. He then sells a jab step and a head fake outside to create separation as he breaks back inside towards the middle of the field. McLaurin breaks away from Gilmore and has multiple yards of separation as he makes the catch over the middle. He continues his run after the catch, breaking the tackle of safety Devin McCourty on his way to a 22-yard gain.

The separation from Gilmore stood out, but also his ability to run after the catch and maximize the yards available on every play. It wasn’t the only time McLaurin had separation from Gilmore on a route over the middle.

This time, McLaurin runs a basic cross on the backside of a trips formation to the left. Gilmore is aligned head up over McLaurin in press coverage, but McLaurin works inside on his release. At the top of his route, McLaurin shows a subtle lean into Gilmore that allows him to push off slightly as he breaks inside. It’s a move of a veteran receiver, not a rookie and something that McLaurin has already learned to help him beat corners that play tight man coverage. McLaurin breaks open over the middle, but McCoy had already been sacked.

Another impressive part of McLaurin’s game against Gilmore was his release off the line of scrimmage against press coverage. Most young receivers struggle with physical corners early in their career and it takes them a year or two to learn how to release against corners that like to jam at the line of scrimmage. But that wasn’t an issue for McLaurin against Gilmore.

With Gilmore up in press coverage, McLaurin takes his first step off the line of scrimmage to take a stutter step inside. Gilmore gets his hands up as he attempts to jam McLaurin at the line. But McLaurin counters by working back outside, clubbing with his outside arm before ripping through with his inside arm to clear the jamming attempt from Gilmore. He starts to run away from Gilmore but doesn’t get ahead of himself. Instead of just taking off, McLaurin sticks to the route. He bends back inside to get back on his path and set up for his break outside. He creates more separation from Gilmore as he makes his cut and would have been wide open had McCoy not stared him down the whole way. McCoy led the free safety over from the middle of the field with his eyes. But the safety arrived at the same time as the ball and broke up the pass.

The hit prevented McLaurin from holding onto the ball. However, the release and the route were the important things to take from the play. If that ability to release freely off the line of scrimmage against press coverage, along with the route running we’ve seen from McLaurin already is consistent going forward, it will set up McLaurin for plenty of success. The Redskins haven’t gotten much right so far this season, but McLaurin is looking like a legitimate threat as the team’s No. 1 receiver.

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

is mclaurin okay? That was a helluva catch and a hard fall on sunday. I haven't heard anything so I figure he is okay? 

Not sure, but I believe he went back into the game after it.

But yeah, seeing how it hit the ground he seemed good for concussion protocol to me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fresh8686 said:

From Mark Bullock in analyzing Terry vs Press Man Coverage against Stephon Gilmore (arguably the best CB in the game right now)

Eh, I guess the vids don't work cuz their behind a pay-wall but the descriptions should be enough.

Thanks, bud. Guy is amazing.

• Like 1

I was looking at the 2014 WR college recruiting ratings.   McLaurin was considered a good but not great prospect and ranked as teh 36th best WR in the class in the 247 composite.  Two other current Redskins were also in that class--Trey Quinn was ranked as the 11th best WR coming out of HS in 2014 and Cam Sims was ranked as the 12th best WR coming out of HS in 2014.   Others of note are teh Ravens TE Mark Andrews who was number 19, Patriot cornerback and former Maryland Terp JC Jackson was number 20, McLaurin's teammate and a guy who took more of the spotlight than McLaurin at Ohio State, Parris Campbell was number 22, Tampa Bay's Chris Godwin who has 1300+ receiving yards this year was ranked 23.  By contrast none of the top 5 guys are anything more than practice squad players.  

Edited by philibusters

This one caught me by surprise, when we made the pick I assumed it was just Danny conducting testicular support for his anointed one (haskins), but this guy is a legit stud, and by all accounts a good dude.  Def in for a McLaurin jersey before they get hot ;)

5 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

@stevemcqueen1 @KDawg @MartinC

Something I admittedly have not paid enough attention to and have not seen talked about, but how has he been doing at beating press man? Has anyone even tried that yet, or rolled coverage his way?

I can't say how much press he has faced - but he has faced some. But if you press him you had better get hands on him and re-route him because if you whiff there are not many corners in the NFL who can run with him. Far more though teams are respecting his speed and playing off man and they have been rolling a safety over the top as well. He is beating it all.

He's an all round receiver. He can take the top off coverage and or take a slant and break it for 70 odd yards and a TD, he can go over the middle and catch a contested ball for a first down. He will find the soft spot in a zone or he will break the ankles of a DB in man. And when you run the ball he will block like his job on the team depends on it.

Consider this - in the 32 ranked passing offense in the league by yardage gained, with 3 QBs having started games and with no other player with even 400 yards receiving he is now just 81 yards away from 1000 yards as a rookie even though he missed a game with a hamstring injury. He is just really really good.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ejay183 said:

Terry needs two more catches to break the rookie reception record set by Jamison Crowder at sixty. That guy is a humble, hungry guy from his interviews. Looking forward to seeing him and Haskins tear it over the NFC East for the next few years.

He’s in concussion protocol. Looks like he’s done for season,most likely. Apparently developed symptoms since the game. 

• Sad 2

47 minutes ago, Tarpon75 said:

He’s in concussion protocol. Looks like he’s done for season,most likely. Apparently developed symptoms since the game. 

I didn’t like the hit when I saw it.  But we’re the Redskins, so the refs.....

Not that it takes away the hit though.

Edited by Vanguard