Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

Can't wait to see what McLaurin can do next year.  Now that he's got his feet wet, experienced a whole season in the league and knows what to expect...and hopefully some stability at the QB position next year...I'm thinking he has a huge year.  

7 hours ago, RWJ said:

Harmon started really coming on towards the end of the season.  I look for him to have a very good year along with McLaurin again.  Then there is SIms Jr.  :P

Sims has to get better hands.  But he's so quick and shifty, he's dangerous.  They should be lining him up all over the field and using him in various ways.  I'd have him wide, in the slot, direct snaps, end arounds, reverses...good things happen when that dude has the ball in his hands, he's just got to get better at catching.  But that doesn't mean there aren't other ways to get the ball in his hands.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Hope he's got a healthy noggin now. I plan on watching that guy score a **** ton of touchdowns

I just hope people don’t target him for it now like they did Jordan Reed.  The hit on Terry was dirty, no action was taken.

• Like 2

https://theathletic.com/1553985/2020/01/29/redskins-receiver-terry-mclaurin-breaks-down-film-of-catches-from-his-rookie-season/

Standig: Obviously, you know the playbook. Do you know the playbook so well that you could play call the offense? It’s one thing to know what the play is, but do you have a feel for how one play sets up another?

McLaurin: “I do. I try to have big picture awareness, that’s what we called it in college. I know plays that marry up with other plays in our offense and I know what we can exploit. I know based on what coverages we’re getting what plays we have in our offense that would be good and double moves as well. So I try to be a coach on the field because while coach (Kevin) O’Connell and coach (Bill) Callahan are calling the plays and the other coaches are seeing it from a birds-eye perspective, I’m playing it. So I feel like I have a different angle than they do.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

McLaurin looks like a special player, but all 3 rookie WRs showed talent and Sims/Harmon really improved towards the end of the season. I think we're a solid WR2 vet and some depth tweaks away from a monster WR corps, assuming the OL/Haskins/playcalling work, obviously.

How their rookie seasons looked against the best rookie Redskins before them:

image.png.d479b9fec658076c5a29855915c31117.png

Plus Sims on returns is a huge bonus.

Not bad for 3rd/6th/UDFA rookies.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tibbidoe said:

McLaurin looks like a special player, but all 3 rookie WRs showed talent and Sims/Harmon really improved towards the end of the season. I think we're a solid WR2 vet and some depth tweaks away from a monster WR corps, assuming the OL/Haskins/playcalling work, obviously.

How their rookie seasons looked against the best rookie Redskins before them:

edit

Plus Sims on returns is a huge bonus.

Not bad for 3rd/6th/UDFA rookies.

Thanks for posting this.

While I would not turn down another WR for this bunch, I am not sure why people think we need to use a high draft pick for one. I have seen lot's of mocks with us trading down a few spots and taking Jeudy. I personally would hate that.

These guys did what they did with no TEs to help, and 3 different QBs throwing them the ball. I could see getting a solid #2 WR in free agency to mentor them and provide depth and let these guys grow together with Haskins or whoever the QB is. 

We have much more pressing needs to address, especially early in the draft and with what little capitol we have in the draft. ILB, CB, TE, OL are all much bigger needs to me. Now if a huge prospect false to us like Jeudy is still there at 18 after a trade with Miami, OK. But he is not falling that far. 

Historically WRs in the 1st do not often pan out. And not just because of Doctson. I prefer we go elsewhere unless whoever is there when we pick is clearly the BPA. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Historically WRs in the 1st do not often pan out. And not just because of Doctson. I prefer we go elsewhere unless whoever is there when we pick is clearly the BPA. 

I think the ones that absolutely look the part without question almost always pan out. Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, etc. Those guys panned out. But receiver is a crapshoot. The obvious guys are first rounders. The not so obvious guys I'd wait on. Doctson was never obvious. We reached. Kelly, Thomas, reaches.

You can find guys who didn't stand out in college that can play the receiver position at any round (or even after the draft is completed). I'd be willing to bet that there are a ton of guys every year who could be very good pros who don't even get picked up by teams and wind up living their lives in the every day work force. 

You're better off slotting these guys on your draft board overall and if they pop up at your pick, or you are specifically targeting receiver in the later rounds going for em. But beyond the obvious I wouldn't overthink drafting a receiver high. There's too many lower round guy success stories to justify using a top pick on a receiver that isn't completely obvious as a hit.

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Thanks for posting this.

While I would not turn down another WR for this bunch, I am not sure why people think we need to use a high draft pick for one...

That's why I said WR2 vet. Another late-round/UDFA rookie would be fine, but an experienced vet in FA is my preference. I'm not expecting PRichardson to be back.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I think the ones that absolutely look the part without question almost always pan out. Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, etc. Those guys panned out. But receiver is a crapshoot. The obvious guys are first rounders. The not so obvious guys I'd wait on. Doctson was never obvious. We reached. Kelly, Thomas, reaches.

You can find guys who didn't stand out in college that can play the receiver position at any round (or even after the draft is completed). I'd be willing to bet that there are a ton of guys every year who could be very good pros who don't even get picked up by teams and wind up living their lives in the every day work force. 

You're better off slotting these guys on your draft board overall and if they pop up at your pick, or you are specifically targeting receiver in the later rounds going for em. But beyond the obvious I wouldn't overthink drafting a receiver high. There's too many lower round guy success stories to justify using a top pick on a receiver that isn't completely obvious as a hit.

I agree overall. But Doctson and Treadwell were both considered sure thing WRs in the NFL in that same season. Both did not work out.  

To your point (and mine really) that the later rds can produce some WRs, none of the 4 WRs taken in the 1st rd did a thing. The most successful WRs in that draft so far have been Sterling Shepard and Michael Thomas, both taken in the 2nd rd. 

7 minutes ago, tibbidoe said:

That's why I said WR2 vet. Another late-round/UDFA rookie would be fine, but an experienced vet in FA is my preference. I'm not expecting PRichardson to be back.

I was building off your comment. i was not referencing you when I said people wanting a high draft pick. In fact I did not see you mention it so i did not think I needed to clarify.

People are a little touchy this morning...  🙂   Just messing with you...  

• Like 1

Just now, goskins10 said:

I agree overall. But Doctson and Treadwell were both considered sure thing WRs in the NFL in that same season. Both did not work out.  

To your point (and mine really) that the later rds can produce some WRs, none of the 4 WRs taken in the 1st rd did a thing. The most successful WRs in that draft so far have been Sterling Shepard and Michael Thomas, both taken in the 2nd rd. 

I don't know. I didn't love Treadwell or Doctson. They were the biggest hyped receivers because they had the best production in what I would call an overall non-stand out receiver class. The fact that Shepard and Thomas went after Treadwell and Doctson speaks volumes in my head. If you go back and watch their film now, you see Thomas is a better prospect. I actually googled Thomas/Doctson in college and you can see the difference between them. But Doctson looked prettier.

I also wasn't as into draft grading then, but I remember looking at Doctson's film, seeing us take him and say, "huh? Well, I must not have seen enough of him."

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I was building off your comment. i was not referencing you when I said people wanting a high draft pick. In fact I did not see you mention it so i did not think I needed to clarify.

People are a little touchy this morning...  🙂   Just messing with you...  

No worries. Just talking, at length, about 1st round WR, while quoting mine that didn't mention it at all seemed odd to me.

Either way, it seems we're close to having a well-rounded group and that's all that matters. Like you said, we have bigger needs (ILB, CB, TE, OL, etc).

• Like 1

I don't know. I didn't love Treadwell or Doctson. They were the biggest hyped receivers because they had the best production in what I would call an overall non-stand out receiver class. The fact that Shepard and Thomas went after Treadwell and Doctson speaks volumes in my head. If you go back and watch their film now, you see Thomas is a better prospect. I actually googled Thomas/Doctson in college and you can see the difference between them. But Doctson looked prettier.

I also wasn't as into draft grading then, but I remember looking at Doctson's film, seeing us take him and say, "huh? Well, I must not have seen enough of him."

I watched many hours of both and I disagree that Thomas looked better. NFL GMs agreed as he was the 6th off the board going 47th to NO. We were doing our mock draft and I had Minnesota who desperately needed a WR. I had Doctson as my top WR and I was no where near alone. Many had Josh going in the top 15 and i got him at 23. I still maintain part of Doctsons problem is that he has not had the right QB that will let him go get those 50/50 balls which was his strength. He has the highest vertical leap and longest wingspan. And in college he came down with everything. He was a walk on turned top prospect. Treadwell I never liked. I thought he was slow and could not get any separation and had no anger to take away contested balls. People liked him becasue of his size and yes his production college his last year. 

WR was considered that year to be one of the best drafts for WR. A total of 6 WRs went in the first 47 picks. As it turns out all 4 1st rd picks did not produce.  But that's in hindsight. 

6 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I watched many hours of both and I disagree that Thomas looked better. 

WR was considered that year to be one of the best drafts for WR. A total of 6 WRs went in the first 47 picks. As it turns out all 4 1st rd picks did not produce.  But that's in hindsight. 

Is it, though?

People over hype prospects. This is why things are such a crap shoot. There's always some bias, but watching Doctson vs. Thomas in film now, you see who is better. Sure, that's with us knowing who panned out. 

Thomas being drafted as high as he was shows that people saw his talent, but they didn't see it for all it was worth. The fact that four of those guys busted means that group was much closer than many said and that, following my "model", none of these guys were standout enough to take that early. They were a tightly knit group. That I agree with. They were relatively close. None were worth the first round pick. That's some hindsight, but it's also watching their film again and pretending they aren't real players in the league. 

You could say now that Thomas was a first rounder, I won't say that. He looked like he was drafted in the right spot. I don't think, and never will think, Treadwell and Doctson were worth a first round choice. 

That's my whole point. 

The draft is a crap shoot. People over estimate prospects ALL THE TIME. Especially at wide receiver and corner. Unless the guy looks like Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson, I wouldn't wast the resource of a 1st rounder on a receiver.

Is it, though?

People over hype prospects. This is why things are such a crap shoot. There's always some bias, but watching Doctson vs. Thomas in film now, you see who is better. Sure, that's with us knowing who panned out. 

Thomas being drafted as high as he was shows that people saw his talent, but they didn't see it for all it was worth. The fact that four of those guys busted means that group was much closer than many said and that, following my "model", none of these guys were standout enough to take that early. They were a tightly knit group. That I agree with. They were relatively close. None were worth the first round pick. That's some hindsight, but it's also watching their film again and pretending they aren't real players in the league. 

You could say now that Thomas was a first rounder, I won't say that. He looked like he was drafted in the right spot. I don't think, and never will think, Treadwell and Doctson were worth a first round choice. 

That's my whole point. 

The draft is a crap shoot. People over estimate prospects ALL THE TIME. Especially at wide receiver and corner. Unless the guy looks like Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson, I wouldn't wast the resource of a 1st rounder on a receiver.

You would really have to show me exactly what you mean when you say Thomas college tape shows he was better than Doctson. I liked Thomas a lot. In fact had I not gotten Doctson in the 1st I was taking Thomas in the second or Fuller who I actually had a 2nd rd grade on. Clearly he went much earlier. My point is I watched a lot of both and did not see it. Not saying it's not there - I am clearly no expert. Just another fan. But I did watch a lot of both for the purpose of drafting one of them in our mock draft. 

I agree to your overall point in theory. But you are talking now after the fact and I am saying what the thoughts were going into the draft. You can say they were over hyped, and now seeing what they did in the NFL, that turns out to be true. But at the time, going into the draft that was not the sentiment. Each yr guys rise that don't pan out. But they rise for a reason.

So yes, it's an absolute crap shoot. But someone has to make a decision. This is not directed at you but in general it's really easy to cast judgement on those decisions when you don't have to make them. 

Just for fun I went back to see where those players went on the Mock draft. Here is how they went: 

image.png.1fd83d2b464d384b49bdd008bc11f436.png

So in our mock only Josh and LaQuon went in the 1st. The rest went in the second rd. Thomas was still the last selected of the 6. That is purely anecdotal I get it. We are just 32 fans playing a make believe game. The stakes are - well nothing but bragging rights. LOL   But I can tell you, those guys put in a lot of time looking at tape, researching guys and doing their homework. No one just shows up and starts picking. 

I will point out that I picked the same position (WR) that Minn picked. In the 2018 draft, I had the Redskins and I selected 3 of exactly the same players (Guice, Settle, DIon-Hamilton) - something no one else has done.  Anyway, take that for what it's worth - admittedly probably not much 🙂  

48 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I watched many hours of both and I disagree that Thomas looked better. NFL GMs agreed as he was the 6th off the board going 47th to NO. We were doing our mock draft and I had Minnesota who desperately needed a WR. I had Doctson as my top WR and I was no where near alone. Many had Josh going in the top 15 and i got him at 23. I still maintain part of Doctsons problem is that he has not had the right QB that will let him go get those 50/50 balls which was his strength. He has the highest vertical leap and longest wingspan. And in college he came down with everything. He was a walk on turned top prospect. Treadwell I never liked. I thought he was slow and could not get any separation and had no anger to take away contested balls. People liked him becasue of his size and yes his production college his last year. 

I thought Doctson was a sure fire stud. The guy had a huge catch radius and wingspan, and the production to back up his lofty draft status. However the one thing (or two in this case) that we can't measure are heart and hardness. The guy was marshmallow soft, like a canadian bag of milk. Add to that the fact that he didn't have the heart/drive to be the best.. he seemed content to simply exist (at least from my perspective looking in) Good Riddance. Mclaurin is a far better player and obviously has much more drive than doctson ever had.

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

Could mclaurin turn out to be the best Redskins reciever ever?..all due respect to art, Gary, Charlie, Ricky, and Santana..but I've got a feeling he just might.

How in the hell could you leave Bobby Mitchell off the list? 🙄

Our board tends to put players in the same scope as the draft community. Very rarely do you see a guy’s draft position drastically different. I’m not surprised that the draft community and ES somewhat agreed. 

Most of us aren’t spending entire work days evaluating prospects, so we don’t see all of them.

I’m genuinely not trying to use hindsight here. I’m telling you that I was never high on Doctson to the point I believed he was worth a first round draft selection. 

There were no standout receivers. But the NFL and draft sites feel that there has to be value at every position (With some caveats) somewhere in the first round. I don’t believe that to always be true.

So it becomes, “who’s the best wideout?”

In this case there was some agreement it was Doctson and Treadwell. Both were talented. Both were in that group of guys who could be considered the best.

My position isn’t that they weren’t more talented than even Thomas (though I don’t think they were but there could be bias there, I do admit), it’s more that teams wanted a receiver so bad they reached well ahead of where they should have to get them. 

That created the bust. If they were drafted in the middle of the second or third, the bust factor would have been there, but less pronounced. 

Teams reach to fill what they perceive as a need. Those guys were strict need picks in a BPA round. 

Therein lies the rub.

43 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Is it, though?

That's my whole point. 

Even with the this tier coming out this year you wouldn't draft them with a 1st round pick?  Maybe I misread your post.

5 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

I thought Doctson was a sure fire stud. The guy had a huge catch radius and wingspan, and the production to back up his lofty draft status. However the one thing (or two in this case) that we can't measure are heart and hardness. The guy was marshmallow soft, like a canadian bag of milk. Add to that the fact that he didn't have the heart/drive to be the best.. he seemed content to simply exist (at least from my perspective looking in) Good Riddance. Mclaurin is a far better player and obviously has much more drive than doctson ever had.

This is jsut not true. He worked his ass off. In the end his game just did not translate. That happens. He could not get enough separation. He was not given chances at 50/50 balls - something he was allowed to do a lot of in college. And he struggled with some of th route combinations - which is where most NFL WRs bust out. 

But this idea he had no heart was started by Cooley who then immediately retracted it because it's jsut not true. He had a low key personality but his drive on and off the field was strong. He went from walk on cast away to start and 1st rd draft pick. He came back from several injuries and keep fighting to come back. Kirk and he never got on the same page. 

I will not go any further here - nothing to do with you. It's the Terry McC page and I am contributing to getting it derailed.  So I will stop - besides I know I am right...  totally kidding, well not totally maybe just mostly?  🙂   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, arftech said:

Even with the this tier coming out this year you wouldn't draft them with a 1st round pick?  Maybe I misread your post.

You have. I think Jeudy and Lamb are first round potential guys. But I would have a hard time taking them over, say, Andrew Thomas even though I think they’re potentially better players. That’s more in respect to Lamb. If I’m looking at them as prospects, I think Jeudy is close to Jones/Johnson caliber but not quite there. 

My opinion may change slightly if the team drafting them was literally a receiver away from being fantastic. That’s a case where BPA and need may mesh well. 

So specifically in regards to this year I think Jeudy is a guy you could draft there. I’m not AS sold on Lamb even though as a prospect I rate him highly. If that makes sense.