Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

seantaylor=god

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Just watched Grudens presser. Man he's happy over Sweat isn't he. Was clearly talked about significantly at 15, we had him higher than that by all accounts, so the jump back in at 26 is fantastic value. 

So gruden is happy the skins got Haskins?..I thought him and other members on staff didn't want Haskins?

It’s still refreshing to see that the Skins managed to go BPA style drafting (with weights) at both spots and they still managed to address needs.

got more holes to fill, virtually everywhere (depth or starters) so I look forward to tonight 

I get the chills that Haskins will bust but oddly enough if he does it's not as bad as the last guy when he did and if he's actually good in the Pros that would be sensational. Love the Preston Smith Replacement. 

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

So gruden is happy the skins got Haskins?..I thought him and other members on staff didn't want Haskins?

C'mon all on both ends was mostly coach speak. My guess - and yes it's just a guess is he didn't dislike him as much as he said before the draft and he doesn't like him as much as he will say after the draft. Or he may have been standing on a table screaming he didn't want Haskins but got over-ruled. What is he supposed to do now? Pout? Say well I realy don;t this kid but I will do what I can? If nothing else Jay is a good soldier. And he will honestly work with Haskins the best he can. 

After sleeping on it I give them B- to a solid B Really not in love with a QB - any QB at 15. Haskins, Jones, Lock all have major flaws that will need to be developed out. They took the guy that at least so far has not demonstrated he can improvise. But we shall see. That may be able to be coached. If they stopped there the grade would be a D, maybe D-. The only thing keeping it from being an F is they did nto trade up for him. They let the draft come to them and took him at 15. Had they traded down and still got him - then this would be higher. But not always easy to trade down and the person trading with them may have taken Haskins - so I get staying at 15. 

But they recovered nicely with Sweat. For those saying it's just the Redskins staff saying he is Ok and the combine medicals were wrong, this was being published by independent sources early yesterday. While there is still EDGE rushers left, for there is a significant drop off after Sweat who talent wise could have easily been a top 10 picks. In fact if the Raider surprise had been Sweat at 4 people would have said it's maybe a little reach but could see the pick. Unlike Ferrell who really should have been middle of the 1st maybe even late 1st - but of course that depends on the picks in front. If 5 QBs get taken he goes later. To get him for a 2nd this yr and next is not bad. 

Do the Skins stand pat with their two thirds tonight, or try to package them and get back into the second?  Would the 76th and 96th get fairly high?  Four in the top 100 is good, three in the top 50 would be great.

if they don't what OL are likely to still be available in the third?

2 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Is it just me that thinks Haskins was so underwhelmed about becoming a Washington Redskin. 

HTTR 

he did look that way but then I'd seen some stuff that suggested he knew he might go to them leading to the draft and his supposed big reaction to Daniel Jones going at six seemed pretty dispassionate too

12 minutes ago, carex said:

Do the Skins stand pat with their two thirds tonight, or try to package them and get back into the second?  Would the 76th and 96th get fairly high?  Four in the top 100 is good, three in the top 50 would be great.

I hope they stand pat and take ol and wr.  

For Oline, you still have a lot of talent out there: McCoy, Jenkins, risner, etc, but the skins have to wait 47 picks to make a selection, so the cupboard may be bare by that point.  Michael Jordan or Beau b might be more realistic targets.  I'd be happy with mj, I think he would be plug and play, but not sure about Beau.  

55 minutes ago, Epochalypse said:

And Flowers.

Don't you dare forget Flowers.

What are you my girlfriend? And this is our anniversary?

Flowers!  With you it's always about flowers! I'm just glad we haven't drafted anyone named lobster or Dom Perignon!

21 minutes ago, carex said:

I did bring that up in the other thread, just been revisiting that. I think it may be cost prohibitive to move back into the second. Our 2x thirds don't really get you that far into the second.

i was just looking the other way, I like the look of Seattle having four picks in the fourth round. If they fancy a move up in the third....

i suspect Bruce may revert to pick accumulation mode later day two into day three.

8 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I hope they stand pat and take ol and wr.  

For Oline, you still have a lot of talent out there: McCoy, Jenkins, risner, etc, but the skins have to wait 47 picks to make a selection, so the cupboard may be bare by that point.  Michael Jordan or Beau b might be more realistic targets.  I'd be happy with mj, I think he would be plug and play, but not sure about Beau.  

If Risner is there mid-2nd, I would seriously consider packaging the two third round picks and moving to get him.  Dude will be an absolute mauler.

7 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Think of all the fans who went to bed after the Redskins made the pick and will wake up tomorrow morning and be like WTF? :)

Guilty.

was 3am when we picked Haskins. This place was in a minor meltdown, I bailed out and checked back in just after 7am and it literally was WTF :806:

39 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I would rather have had them trade back and grab Sweat than what they did...

Me too. They still would have grabbed their impact defensive player they wanted and began to stack a few mid round pick. It would have allowed for them to drop back a little one or two more times with the 2 or 3 round picks. Not a big Haskins fan. (no I mean he is my favorite QB). The talent pool jfor day 2 is amazing

7 hours ago, wilco_holland said:

Latest report was that teams offered a 3th rounder. That was kinda like I expected. Low ball offers because they have no leverage after the first round started evolving this way. I think the gambled on QBs going early and then force a team like us to trade a second rounder for Rosen. 

Remember when people thought a team had to offer a first to get Rosen? Or two seconds? Just like your Drew Lock comment, there's some crazy inflation on some of these QBs that some fans buy into but isn't reality. I still think a 3rd is good value on Rosen, though I could be talked into a 2nd if I loved him as an evaluator. Unfortunately it appears no one does really love Rosen. And with NY and Washington off the table, I suspect the price is falling rather than rising. Maybe the Bengals if they don't take Lock.

47 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I would rather have had them trade back and grab Sweat than what they did...

We thought Sweat would be gone at 15, based on what Gruden said the discussion at 15 was Haskins/Sweat. So the scenario to pass on Haskins, then trade back and hope for Sweat to be there in the 20s was never a realistic one.

47 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Is it just me that thinks Haskins was so underwhelmed about becoming a Washington Redskin. 

HTTR 

He grew up a Giants fan.  If I recall he was working out with Giants gear as recently as this week.  Hopefully, he's bent on revenge for being passed over by his favorite team. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

It’s still refreshing to see that the Skins managed to go BPA style drafting (with weights) at both spots and they still managed to address needs.

got more holes to fill, virtually everywhere (depth or starters) so I look forward to tonight 

They might have hit BPA but it was the two positions pre-draft that got the most noise that they wanted to address.  Same thing last year lots of talk they wanted a d lineman d linemen d lineman and then a running back.  That's what they did.

The other position that they've screamed about wanting is receiver so I expect receiver to be cooking today.  Maybe its BPA but no doubt it matches what they've been saying are their need and want positions. 

49 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

HTTR 

47 minutes ago, carex said:

he did look that way but then I'd seen some stuff that suggested he knew he might go to them leading to the draft and his supposed big reaction to Daniel Jones going at six seemed pretty dispassionate too

I believe that was irritated relief it was finally over. He was relieved he had been finally drafted and was pissed he did not go earlier. I am pretty sure he expected to be drafted higher. I do not believe it had anything to do with Washington. In fact I believe he is grateful for the Redskins and will want to prove the other 14 teams were wrong. 

At least that's the way I saw it, and was also how the commentary went. He put on a Redskins hat and there were hugs all around if you kept watching. 

8 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Remember when people thought a team had to offer a first to get Rosen? Or two seconds? Just like your Drew Lock comment, there's some crazy inflation on some of these QBs that some fans buy into but isn't reality. I still think a 3rd is good value on Rosen, though I could be talked into a 2nd if I loved him as an evaluator. Unfortunately it appears no one does really love Rosen. And with NY and Washington off the table, I suspect the price is falling rather than rising. Maybe the Bengals if they don't take Lock.

I am enjoying the Cards devaluing their pick or so it looks.  That's the danger of waiting like they have.  But maybe they will surprise will see.  If SD wants Rosen as some purport they might be able to bid for him with no competition except for maybe the Dolphins.  And according to one Dolphins beat report they aren't that hot for Rosen. 

54 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

HTTR 

No your absolutely right - if you watch the video when he gets the call it is clear this was not a preferred destination for him.  He rolls his eyes and the female next to him recoils and puckers her lips.  Of course once they know the cameras are on its all (fake) smiles, but in his super low energy way- nothing genuine about this at all.  Everything about his body language thru the course of the evening screamed entitled bratty lazy and def. not a leader of a NFL franchise.

Archived